1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Black & White Battle Subway Records (now with gen. 4 records!)

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Peterko, Mar 23, 2011.

1. mhybear

mhybear

I think the AI knows if you have Truant. I have encountered more than once occasion where they would only attack when Truant activated given that they Protect the turn before, which is why a Taunt user is mandatory or you really need to kill the lead Pokemon with your lead for your Durant to be able to setup Truant. Then again since the AI chooses their moves after you chose yours, they will attack you if you try to switch to Gyarados rather than Protect which is really annoying.
  2. Stellar

Stellar dreams and adventure
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Orange Islands

DHR-107 posted this earlier, but ended up deleting his post. Please direct all discussion of the Maison to this thread. We will be working over the next week to transform it into the sixth-generation equivalent of the BW Subway thread. Usually, a new iteration of the "Battle Tower thread" is created at the start of every generation, so it makes sense to make the transition now. If you are interested in maintaining a thread similar to the Subway thread for the sixth generation, you can either contact DHR-107 or myself. Please note that the "casual" monicker simply refers to elements of gameplay that occur on the cartridges. The subforum's name does not prevent discussion of the competitive elements of the Maison.

This thread will continue to exist for discussion of BW's Subway. Because the OP of the thread is markedly absent, the thread's updating is up in the air. If we find someone who is willing to comb through the thread and update it, then it will happen. Otherwise it probably will not.

Thanks!
    Hulavuta likes this.
  3. GG Unit

GG Unit

For people who have done the bait Pokemon/spread move teammate strategy in doubles, have you noticed a certain threshold at which the opponents don't target the bait as often?

I have a level 46 Sneasel that is currently EVed to be one point faster than my Eruption user (Entei), and its defenses are low enough that the opponents do attack it the vast majority of the time (even with Water moves). However, there have been some times I've wished it could do some more damage on its own rather than providing support. It has minimum defensive IVs, so if I leveled it up from 46 to 50, its defensive stats would go from 106/57/66 to 115/62/72. Do you think leveling it up and/or evolving it to Weavile would change the list of things that target it instead of Entei?
  4. Eppie

Eppie

From my experience, the AI prefers to target the Pokémon they can KO (regardless if this means using a move that damages the AI's partner heavily, like Fire + Water AI, where the Water one uses Surf).

I say ''prefers'' because the AI can be very unpredictable sometimes. I remember back in D/P Doubles that Rampardos went for Head Smash on my Dusknoir a few times while I led with Dusknoir + Lvl 1 Smeargle. There have also been situations where they went for the Super Effective STAB on my Ghost lead, while they could have ''knocked out'' Smeargle, using a different move. In your case, you will most likely get into situations were the AI would go for Rock Slide / Earthquake + a move targeting Entei, having the AI think that they would knock out Sneasle (But you have sash etc etc).

tl;dr the AI usually will try to knock out the weaker Pokémon if it's stats allow them to do so, but there are still situations where the AI can be unpredictable.
  5. firedude750

firedude750

Using this team to get some prints in SoulSilver's frontier (hopefully) lemme know what you guys think.

Scizor @ Choice Band

Technician

Adamant - 252HP 252Atk 4Spe

• Bug Bite
    • Bullet Punch
    • Superpower
    • Pursuit
    Not much to say here, just a strong bulky lead with lots of coverage.

Swampert @ Leftovers

Torrent

Adamant - 252HP 252Atk 4Spe

• Waterfall
    • Earthquake
    • Ice Punch
    • Toxic
    Built similarly to Scizor, but serves a different purpose. Kinda bulky stally with Toxic, but has good coverage. Water will be boosted by rain by my third Pokemon.

Kingdra @ Draco Plate

Swift Swim

Modest 252SpAtk 252Spe 4HP

• Surf
    • Dragon Pulse
    • HP Electric
    • Rain Dance
    Sets up the rain for swift swim to be a good special sweeper. Rain also helps Swampert and could even help Scizor take a hit from fire if ever need be. Kinda wanted to try Sniper Kingdra, but I'm not fond of how luck-reliant it sounds.

Anyway, this is my potential team for SoulSilver Battle Frontier. Any help is appreciated.
  6. greenpanda

greenpanda

Going to try and beat the Super Doubles line with a weather team, please let me know what you think :)

Ninetales Charcoal
    *Drought*
    Heat Wave
    Solarbeam
    Protect
    Will-O-Wisp
    6 HP, 252 SA/Sp. (Timid)

Garchomp @ Life Orb
    *Sand Veil*
    Outrage
    Earthquake
    Fire Fang
    Aerial Ace
    6 HP, 252 At/Sp. (Adamant)

Zoroark @ Expert Belt
    *Illusion*
    Dark Pulse
    Flamethrower
    Energy Ball
    Focus Blast
    6 HP, 252 SpA/Sp (Timid)

Blaziken @ Wide Lens
    *Speed Boost*
    Blaze Kick
    Hi Jump Kick
    Protect
    Hone Claws
    6 HP, 252 At/Sp (Adamant)

So this team works pretty simply. Ninetales and Garchomp can sweep amazingly together; Will-O-Wisp is rarely used but generally it's in a last-ditch attempt to cripple things like Gyarados that aren't 1HKO'd. Zoroark was sort of thrown into the mix but pretending to be Blaziken works pretty well for it and it's not died as often as I thought it would. And Blaziken is an obvious choice, give it a couple of turns and it's set up to sweep almost anything. I'm not convinced about Hone Claws if I'm using Wide Lens but I'm a little paranoid about HJK missing. I'll probably swap out Fire Fang on Garchomp as I don't need 4 fire moves. And I'll probably replace Blaze Kick with something stronger but for now it's not done too badly. So yeah, any comments?
  7. greenpanda

greenpanda

Just got to 58 wins in the Battle Arcade using this team:

Togekiss
    6 HP, 252 SA/Sp (Modest)
    Tri Attack
    Air Slash
    Flamethrower
    Aura Sphere

Dragonite (Adamant)
    40 HP, 252 At, 216 Sp
    Dragon Claw
    Extremespeed
    Dragon Dance
    Brick Break

Infernape (Naive)
    6 HP, 252 At/Sp
    Flare Blitz
    Close Combat
    Mach Punch
    Stone Edge

Nothing much to say about this team really, Togekiss is amazing and 9 times out of 10 swept the entire opponent's team by itself. Had some amazing luck with the roulette. I lost when I swapped with the opponent who had a pretty good offensive trio of Lucario, Salamence and Skarmory, but unfortunately I was swept by my own Infernape when Togekiss froze Salamence with Tri Attack.

As a final note, for the seventh round where I faced Dahlia for the Gold Print I swapped out Dragonite for this Garchomp:

Garchomp (Adamant)
    6 HP, 252 At/Sp
    Outrage
    Earthquake
    Aerial Ace
    Swords Dance

This was done so that Dahlia's Zapdos wouldn't utterly slaughter my team. Surprisingly, it turned out to be slower than Garchomp and was OHKO'd by a +2 Outrage, as was her Togekiss. Very happy with how this team worked out!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)