Blastoise (Analysis) [QC 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping yet again so QC people can find it on the first page. I've PM'ed a few of them (and they've been active since I PM'ed it) and not one has looked at it yet.

I tested a lot of these sets when I was looking for ways to use Blastoise, and most of them (all of them) are pretty bad. Not to mention that they're pretty much outclassed completely to a point that they're unusable. Water Spout is not a good move on Blastoise considering it's Special Attack sucks. If Burungeru can't do it, sure as hell Blastoise can't considering that Burungeru actually has instant recovery. I would only keep the first set, which is the closest to usable, although Blastoise canNOT stall. It can only Rapid Spin. If you want to stall, use a different Pokemon. Red is delete. Blue is add. Blastoise's speed isn't good enough for an offensive Rapid Spin set. That is better left to Starmie (and possibly) Tentacruel.

[SET]
name: Stall Tortoise Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin / Rest (Rest with the new Sleep Mechanics is a no-no)
move 2: Substitute / Ice Beam / Protect (Protect isn't for stalling - its for getting leftovers/Rain Dish recovery-It can also help wrack up Toxic Damage or work with Yawn if you are using those)
move 3: Toxic / Dragon Tail / Roar Dragon Tail / Yawn / Toxic (Dragon Tail on Blastoise is pitifully weak; it can't even break Gengar's substitutes. However it still is able to phaze Spinblockers) (Yawn is a good alternative to Dragon Tail for phazing) (Toxic is also usable since it cripples Spinblocker switchins that lack Status recovery)
move 4: Boil Over
nature: Bold/Calm
ability: Rain Dish
item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD (Due to Blastoise's pure water typing and high Defense, it works better when it is physically defensive - it helps differentiate itself from the likes of Tentacruel in that it actually stands a chance against things that pack Earthquake. It serves as a good last-minute check to Doryuuzu since it isn't OHKOed by +2 Earthquake or 2HKOed by +0 Earthquake (non Life Orb). I would leave the Specially defensive spread in Additional Comments)

And the Final Product:

[SET]
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Dragon Tail / Yawn / Toxic
move 3: Boil Over
move 4: Ice Beam / Protect
nature: Bold
ability: Rain Dish
item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Pretty much a full revamp.

Edit:
Water Spout at full health has a huge Base Power of 337
No it doesn't.
It's only 150 Base Power.
225 with STAB.

@iDunno

If you read the additional comments at the bottom it does say that Blastoise is outclassed by a lot of things in OU, mentioning a few better choices by name. However, these sets still are viable, albeit outclassed. I'm just listing what can be used, despite Pokemon that can do it better. Example:

Dragonite can run a bulky DD set. However, Salamence does it better. Should the bulky DD set not be mentioned on Dragonite's analysis just because Salamence does it better? No, its still an option, just mention that there are Pokemon who do it better.

@Parachomp
Blastoise really isn't too spectacular outside of rain. I'll add that to additional comments since I apparently left that out.

Dragonite can run a bulky DD set. However, Salamence does it better. Should the bulky DD set not be mentioned on Dragonite's analysis just because Salamence does it better? No, its still an option, just mention that there are Pokemon who do it better.
Actually Dragonite does Bulky DD better. It has higher defenses and Multi Scale. Hell, even without multiscale, Dragonite is still better at Bulky DD. Salamence is better at Offensive DD, hence why Dragonite didn't have an offensive DD set until Salamence was banned.

Here is a interesting idea for a stall blastoise

1. toxic
2. protect
3. mirror coat
4. surf/ hydro pump

Put all the EVs in HP and Def so he is rock solid on the defense side and when they try to come at you with special they'll get a surprise with mirror coat

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Moving this to L&O for the reasons SDS stated here. This thread should have also been moved a while ago, seeing as it was taken over by iDunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)