Blaziken

Generally the effects of Swords Dance would outweigh the benefits of an accuracy boost in this case. Without Swords Dance, bulky waters will not be OHKO'd, which ruins your fun.

I think if you want to solve accuracy, use Wide Lens and Swords Dance. you'll have a 2x Boost with a 99% accurate HJK an 88% Stone Edge, as opposed to perfect accuracy on the two, with only 1.95x the power, but agreeing with Misa, without SD + Life Orb, good luck killing Bulky waters without a few lays of Spikes

Oh Jeez. . . I am so sorry. I didn't even see this post. I promise I wasn't trying to copy you. My bad!
Dont worry about it :)

Does anyone else have some feed back concerning claw sharpen Blaziken.
I ran all of the damage calcs the swords dance set ran. not much worse and remember with some SR, spikes, and support from your other pokemon it could be much more viable.

I think if you want to solve accuracy, use Wide Lens and Swords Dance. you'll have a 2x Boost with a 99% accurate HJK an 88% Stone Edge, as opposed to perfect accuracy on the two, with only 1.95x the power, but agreeing with Misa, without SD + Life Orb, good luck killing Bulky waters without a few lays of Spikes
wide lens...duh. thanks for the help. still claw sharpen for perfect accuracy/how much is the increase?
+2 no life orb is not much stronger than +1 with life orb.
it all depends on the accuracy boost it gives to HJK and SE from claw sharpen.

Will we be allowed to use Speed Boost Blaziken in the inevitable 5th Gen. Simulator. I heard somewhere that Dream World Abilities wouldn't be allowed.

I've heard that Thunder Wave hits grounds
Explosion doesn't half damage
And you can't breed Dream World abilities

Doesn't make it true. I highly doubt that they'll ban dream world abilities.

Here's an important new set

The Volbeat Buddy
Blaziken@Wide Lens
Speed Boost
Timid/Modest
252 Sp Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Protect
Fire Blast
Vacuum Wave
Focus Blast

Get passed a Tail Glow from Blazikens 3rd gen buddy Volbeat, abuse priority and protect til you are safely fast. Sweep, sweep, sweep. Very little stands in your way.

Not commenting on any moveset in particular just Blaziken as a whole.

Game Freak must really like Blaziken, giving him one of the best abilities to help improve his major problem in generation 4 which was his speed. However, I do think it is getting a little overhyped right now. We don't know how common standard pokemon and their movesets will fare in this new, very offensively seeming metagame. I think Blaziken's major problem will be people preparing for him extensively at first (Due to his large hype). Blaziken doesn't have any physical priority besides quick attack, meaning he takes quite a beating from opposing priority moves (Extremespeed, Aqua Jet, Mach punch, etc.) and if you run LO Blaziken will be dying pretty fast. His moveset is also very predictable, and Hi Jump Kick is far from reliable. You would also have to scout an opponents team to get rid of ghosts who could come in on a HJK and have Blaziken hurt himself severely.

I would be lying if I didn't think Blaziken appears to be a huge threat. With his checks/counters dead/weakened Blaziken would have a easy time sweeping the rest of an opposing team.

That's all I have to say.

No, it was something about how Dream World abilities haven't been released yet or something like that.
A Pokemon's Dream World ability will probably be banned on the ladder until it is released. But I can't imagine them banning them in unrated play.

I actually like Blaziken with Speed Boost. If it stays in battle long enough, it can outrun a good portion of Pokemon.

Since Speed Boost boosts Blaziken's Speed after you and your opponent make a move, does this mean that Blaziken can invest less in Speed EVs and focus more on its offenses?

Blaziken gets Speed Boost this gen and he is looking to be a top threat. However, it is still to be known what this effect will have on Blazkien's viability. Although it looks like Infernape is now outclassed severely. Blaziken already was a top threat in UU and he may have a shot at OU.
Blaziken WILL become OU ;)

Originally, it was outclassed by Infernape mainly because of its Speed. Now with Speed Boost, Blaziken will probably be OU. The only thing is it doesn't have a VERY reliable Fighting STAB move. I'd prefer Close Combat over Hi Jump Kick, despite the extra power it got in this generation. That miss really screws over Blaziken. Its getting hit by a 65 base power STAB move, which does hurt a bit considering Blaziken isn't bulky.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
This guy is way over-hyped. You can easily switch around between Ghosts, Waters, and Intimidate users to eventually get rid of this thing. Hi Jump Kick is powerful, but its side effect is absolutely horrible. Close Combat is better 100% of the time.

Only reliable way to stop him is with a Slowbro or similar since he decimates a lot of other bulky things in 2 hits (without a SD boost) removing a lot of possible switch-ins. He's also one of the few Pokemon this gen that can stop his own revenge kill by protecting and getting the extra speed for the KO. All that you need to do is scout for the potential Blaziken counters like Burunkeru before you unleash him and then go to town.

It's also extremely hard to kill oneself with HJK if they try to switch in a ghost as even if you miss Giratina with it on the switchin you won't be taking your full HP bar as damage, and he can blow apart a ton of ghosts this gen pretty easily.

I've actually been using the guy, HJKs flying everywhere really do put the opponent in a tight spot if you've appropriately scouted the opponent's team.

This guy is way over-hyped. You can easily switch around between Ghosts, Waters, and Intimidate users to eventually get rid of this thing. Hi Jump Kick is powerful, but its side effect is absolutely horrible. Close Combat is better 100% of the time.
Nope.
Blaziken can Substitute when you switch, what's more it can Baton Pass.

Blaziken is unpredictable. Even Slowbro will fail to LO FB+HP+SR

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Nope.
Blaziken can Substitute when you switch, what's more it can Baton Pass.

Blaziken is unpredictable. Even Slowbro will fail to LO FB+HP+SR
If Blaziken uses substitute, he has given up one of his coverage moves or Swords Dance. Without an SD boost, Blaziken is unable to beat Vaporeon and other waters. Swords Dance + Substitute can potentially be threatening, but it's very hard to set up.

Blaziken will lose huge amounts of health when he uses Hi Jump Kick against a ghost, so he is pretty easily played around in this scenario. I will admit that he is threatening against frail offensive teams, but stall shouldn't have too much of a problem with him.

Blaziken will lose huge amounts of health when he uses Hi Jump Kick against a ghost, so he is pretty easily played around in this scenario. I will admit that he is threatening against frail offensive teams, but stall shouldn't have too much of a problem with him.
Blaziken isn't tailored to take any hits in the first place.

The thing is, there are only a choice few walls that can switch into a LO boosted (no SD even) attack from Blaziken and then take ANOTHER hit and get rid of him afterwards. The only ghosts that Blaziken even cares about are Burunkeru and Giratina, the rest are thrashed by Stone Edge or Flare Blitz.

Don't forget the threat of Shadow Claw against ghosts, either. Anyway, "overhype" aside, I think this is going to be a consistent standard. He just needs a little help to crush the enemy (ie, substitute would help).

Instead of using swords dance why not use claw sharpen to raise your attack and accuracy. Which helps HJK and SE.

Blaziken@Life Orb
Adamant
Speed Boost
6 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
-Claw Sharpen
-High jump kick
-Flare blitz/Blaze Kick
-Stone edge

Ran some damage calcs and it still produced great numbers. Not as great as SD but could be useful if you know what it feels like to have 'Stone Miss' in your arsenal.
Just a thought. please correct me if im wrong.
Do you think a Claw Sharpen set could be viable?
Blaziken@Life Orb
-Claw Sharpen
-High Jump Kick
-Stone Edge
-Blaze Kick/Fire Blast
Sure Claw Sharpen doesn't boost as much as Swords Dance, but it makes High Jump Kick, Stone Edge, Blaze Kick, and Fire Blast have perfect accuracy, making them less risky (and Fire Blast would benefit from Claw Sharpen which it doesn't from Swords Dance). Just a thought, I don't know how effective it would be.
Guys, please, PLEASE read through the whole thread before posting. The Claw Sharpen set has been discussed. Repeatedly. And found to be inferior to the SD set through damage calcs. Repeatedly.

If Blaziken uses substitute, he has given up one of his coverage moves or Swords Dance. Without an SD boost, Blaziken is unable to beat Vaporeon and other waters. Swords Dance + Substitute can potentially be threatening, but it's very hard to set up.

Are you listening to yourself? Blaziken is a WALLBREAKER. Of course stall will have trouble with Blaziken; if you add in Speed Boost it just makes it more so, as now Blazi can actually sweep. And, again, it has been discussed that Sub + 3 Attack Blaziken is just as viable as the SD set, but for different reasons. With Speed Boost he makes an good mixed wallbreaker/late-game sweeper with great coverage and respectable power despite using unboosted attacks; this makes it possible to punch holes into your opponents to make way for a teammate or vice-versa, just like Infernape would do for Lucario in Gen 4 OU.

Are you listening to yourself? Blaziken is a WALLBREAKER. Of course stall will have trouble with Blaziken;
I agree with this statement more so than any of the sweeping statements.
Yes Blaziken doesn't have great defenses and with Life Orb and Priority I don't expect him to start sweeping from the 2nd or 3rd turn directly.

He is a wonderful wall breaker with a sub up. Its so irritating getting shuffled between Swampert, Blissey, Skarmory and Hippodonw.

But BOOM. Skarmory takes a Fire Blast to the face which IS an ohko. Swampert takes I think it was something like 87% from a SD Hi Jump Kick (Don't try HP Grass, it barely even 2kos)

With a substitute set even though he wont be able to OHKO said walls, he can do enough damage to threaten them severely enough to make them switch, possibly. And with substitute he can't be Yawned or T-Waved. (Does roar with through sub?)

The biggest mistake you can make is to use Blaziken incorrectly.

^Unless you mean HP Grass coming from SDKen (which is retarded):

428 - 504 (105.94% - 124.75%)

That is Max SpA Mixed Blaziken's HP Grass on Swampert, an easy OHKO. Substitute is somewhat pointless on Blaziken, IMO, unless you want to sweep late-game. Why not just blast something as it switches in?

Either way, the coverage lost on SubKen by missing one move means you'll have to pick off certain threats, while the lack of Sub protection on a 4-attack mixed set means you need to remove their scarfer. Since the latter can inflict immediate damage regardless, I'd go with it.

Blaziken is being way too overhyped. He is good im not saying he is bad, but have a good amount of counters and HJK is really unreliable. He isnt that good as a wallbreaker, i personally use stall, and in the worse case escenario vs blaziken i lose a scarf politoed and one of my pokes take 50% (worse case scenario)

Spd Boost+SD =dangerous sweeper cum wallbreaker.

Blaziken's use is definitely going to shoot up. I think I will definitely use him as a stall/wall breaker in whatever tier he is going to be placed in.

A set of SD/Fire Blast/Vaccum Wave/Stone Edge can make him a great mixed sweeping priority abuser as well.

Blaziken is being way too overhyped. He is good im not saying he is bad, but have a good amount of counters and HJK is really unreliable. He isnt that good as a wallbreaker, i personally use stall, and in the worse case escenario vs blaziken i lose a scarf politoed and one of my pokes take 50% (worse case scenario)
Taking out a pokemon and stripping off half the health of another is a pretty big deal, IMO.

I do agree, however, that Blaziken is a high risk/high reward use pokemon, at least with the SD set. With the hype it has gotten, everyone is overpreparing for it and has it solidly checked - the mixed set doesn't have to worry about setting up and could prove a nasty surprise for a few of its switch-ins. It isn't a pokemon you can just throw onto any team and expect stellar results; intelligent play is actually required.

As far as HJK being unreliable...it is actually pretty good as far as power moves go. Stone Edge is all over the place and has a mere 80 accuracy; Fire Blast is regarded as "good" with its marginally better 85. Offensive water types have no qualms about running the 80% accurate Hydro Pump, and then there is Focus Blast with its 70 accuracy, relied upon by a variety of sweepers. 130 Base Power with 90 accuracy is nothing to scoff at, and it approaches the power of Overheat/Leaf Storm with arguably better typing and lack of a guaranteed side effect. "Lol ghost" is a weak argument, as it is just as prediction heavy as Blaziken predicting your Shandera switch-in and destroying it with Stone Edge; this is especially true now that you can see all of your opponent's pokemon.

SD/Fire Blast/Vaccum Wave/Stone Edge
Wasting a turn to setup with a move that boosts a single, unSTAB attack is unattractive on something as frail as Blaze - you would be better of opening with Stone Edge to catch the flying types on the switch and using the SD slot for something more useful, IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)