BlissCents and SkarmCents Beta v0.1: Another set of "defense tiers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Question:

If Skarmory and Blissey are the list on which these are based, why aren't they(or at least Skarm, which generally runs 252/252) equal to 1.0 Skarm or Bliss cents in the corresponding columns?

Also, I'm having a little trouble figuring out what your 4 columns are.

Are they HP/Def(0/0), HP/SD(0/0), HP/Def(252/252), HP/SD(0/0)?

They aren't 1 because the chart doesn't take into account Nature boosts. Because this is logarithmic, I think that the nature boost would be equivalent to adding something like, 0.089 or something. And Blissey is even more off from 1, because the 1 mark is a Bold 252 HP/252 Defense Blissey, which means that the Calm ones with 252 in Sp. Def have much better Special Sponging capabilities.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As jenigmat429 said, they're not 1 because the columns are 0/0Def, 252/252Def, 0/0 SpDef and 252/252 SpDef without nature boosts. This system is not logarithmic though; the original attack and defense tiers are.

How exactly are these computed? I'd assume that they're just based off of the Attack and Defense tiers, and in that case they'd have a logarithmic growth rate, wouldn't they? Either way, though I still prefer Attack and Defense tiers for calculations and comparisons, these are really well constructed.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd assume he did the following:

For SkarmCents, he first found 416 x 334 = 138944. Then, for every Pokemon, he calculated Atk x HP / 138944.

For BlissCents, he first found 714 x 306 = 218484. Then, for every Pokemon, he calculated SpA x HP / 218484.

I like this, but personally, I prefer X-Act's Normalised Base Stats for quick and easy calculations and comparisons. All you need to know is the base stats of the pokémon you want to compare, and a calculator if you want to get damage percentages. Maybe it's because it was posted in Contributions & Corrections instead of in Stark Mountain, but I haven't seen anyone mention it.

Aight, in preparation for topic v0.2, I'm going to leave this thread open for ~12 more hours for more comments / suggestions. Whenever I login after that, I'm going to read whatever new comments there are, integrate what I like into v0.2, and then post v0.2 and lock this topic.

i'd rather see the 252/252 columns facotr in a defensive nature boost, if only on skarms side. this is because this is what i (and i presume most people) traditionally associate with skarm (252hp/def + impish) and it would make more sense to me to compare against that then against skarm without nature boost

bliss however, shouldnt have calm nature, as i associate its walling abilities with a bold nature.

edit: if little green yoda is right, that needs to be made clearer

If I'm understanding this correctly, the numbers in the SkarmCents chart are relative to 252/252 +Def nature Skarm. But the Skarmory numbers listed in the chart are neglecting the nature (which is why Skarmory isn't listed as 1.0 as explained above).

Yea, essentially. Apart from a simple tool for comparison, I can't really see how these would be helpful. I mean, using Defense and Attack Tiers can help comparison, while doing cool things like giving you really quick calcs on damage. Though, if your goal is to create a version of Defense Tiers that is much more accessible to the average person, then you have succeeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)