Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: Boomburst
Type:

Category:

PP: 10
Power: 140
Accuracy: 100%
Flavour Text: The user attacks everything around it with the power of a terrible, explosive sound.

Well, this move. A special normal type move. It has a whopping base power of 140, overpowering Overheat, Leaf Storm and Draco Meteor. It has excellent PP for such an excellent move, and completely perfect accuracy. There's a reason you will almost never see this move into play, though, and that's because it's a semi-signature move, which is only learned by Exploud, Chatot and Noivern. Exploud gets STAB, and no longer needs to rely on Hyper voice to do damage. Couple that with decent bulk, and you have yourself a hard hitting Pokemon.

The other user will be Noivern. This move will be featured on most sets for a couple of reasons, despite not getting STAB. Despite not being STAB it hits hard. It hits even harder than STAB Dragon Pulse, a taste of how powerful it is. You're gonna see this move in most noivern sets, that's for sure.

Chatot has the same Special Attack as Exploud, and it's faster. Exploud and Noivern are still generally better pokemon than Chatot, but it'll find a niche in lower tiers.

Overall one of the greatest moves in the game, really limited distribution. The three users can use it to the max.

Last edited:
Uh Boomburst absolutely is a Sound Based move. It's name is Japanese is literally "Sound Wave Explosion", and it's learned by two Pokemon defined by sound.

Tempting to make a mimic Porygon2 for double battles, but you'd still need Exploud or Noivern on your team.

How can they justify a move which is 10BP below Hyper Beam and 10BP above the Leaf Storm/Draco Meteor/etc moves, stronger than basically any legend's Special signature move, that has 100% accuracy and absolutely no negative repercussions whatsoever?

How can they justify a move which is 10BP below Hyper Beam and 10BP above the Leaf Storm/Draco Meteor/etc moves, stronger than basically any legend's Special signature move, that has 100% accuracy and absolutely no negative repercussions whatsoever?
Because a grand total of three Pokemon get it.

OP forgot that Chatot can get it as an Egg Move.

Ironically Boomburst isn't considered a sound-based move.
Not at all saying Bulbapedia is the way to go here, but they say it's sound-based. That, plus the fact that the Japanese is ばくおんぱ (Sound Wave Explosion) and common sense.

Maybe with the fact that so far, only Exploud and its line, Chatot, and Noivern can get it.
And that only two get STAB on it.
And that Normal as an attacking type is pretty crappy.
And that the attacking stats of all who receive it are mediocre at best.
And that legends have much better stats.
And that moves like Leaf Storm, Draco Meteor, Overheat, etc. can actually be super-effective on something.
And that Game Freak doesn't need to justify anything.

Because a grand total of three Pokemon get it.

OP forgot that Chatot can get it as an Egg Move.
One Pokemon gets Sacred Fire, which is the only move I can think of off the top of my head stronger than Boomburst with no negative repercussions.
But really, in a generation where a ton of moves were nerfed for balancing purposes, this seems a little silly.

The Grand Master of All Things Bad wants this move

Now, when I saw this move's BP and Accuracy, my first reaction was obviously "What the!?". And it can go through Substitute

It may have bad coverage synergy and very limited distribution but it's still ridiculous to me

Fixed the OP. Does anyone know if this move hits all pokemon (including your ally) in Doubles/Triples?
The description hints so: "The user attacks everything around it with the destructive power of a terrible, explosive sound."

And Bulbapedia says so...

WoW chatot may become UU with the buffs, if not UU then he is at least usable in UU if your team complements him.

92s.atk ,91 base speed, access to encore and nasty plot. Spammable hyper beam , 65bp stab confusion attack, with both these attacks hitting threw subs.

Fixed the OP. Does anyone know if this move hits all pokemon (including your ally) in Doubles/Triples?
It hits all adjacent Pokemon, according to my time in the Battle Maison, and is absolutely a Sound move, as Soundproof Mr. Mime blocks it.

WoW chatot may become UU with the buffs, at least usable in UU.

92s.atk ,91 base speed, access to encore and nasty plot. Spammable hyper beam , 65bp stab confusion attack, with both these attacks hitting threw subs.
You're forgetting Chatot's depressing bulk, and the fact that it's movepool is pretty bad outside Chatter and Boomburst.

Noivern will also rarely use this, as it doesn't get STAB and it already has a deep special move pool with powerful moves like draco meteor and hurricane. Sad to see, but i guess it could be a niche thing for a scarf / specs Noivern to revenge kill things with substitutes, maybe DD Gyarados?

Noivern will also rarely use this, as it doesn't get STAB and it already has a deep special move pool with powerful moves like draco meteor and hurricane. Sad to see, but i guess it could be a niche thing for a scarf / specs Noivern to revenge kill things with substitutes, maybe DD Gyarados?
140 Power is nothing to sneeze at. Dragon Pulse, for instance, is only 127 Power factoring in STAB, and of course Boomburst lacks any downside like Draco Meteor's massive SpA drop. Hurricane requires Rain Support to be reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)