Booster seat

Hello Smogon!

I've only really showed up in the forums in the RMT section, and I really need to remedy that. In the meantime, I have a team for you guys to rate that I think is very unique.

The team itself is based around the relative bulk and synergy of its members, allowing each to set up, given a sliver of a chance to. They also have their own unique way of sweeping, which allows them to operate well without boosts at all.

BUILDING
This team was originally formed from the residual team building excitement from making a Doubles team with a friend (it ended up being terrible). After a bit of discussion, I noted how many set up sweepers there were in OU, and that's where the idea came from.

The core of the team, and what was orginally to be the dedicated lead, was none other than OU's 2nd favorite bug type. Volcarona's ability to boost its damage output, along with its Sp. Def and Speed in the same turn, along with the ability to check physical sweepers merited it the core of the team.

Obviously, though, Volcarona isn't invincible, and special walls like Blissey could absolutely wreck any sort of sweep it tried to get up. Physical attackers with Stone Edge are also a major threat to it. So, keeping with the boosting nature of the team, I included Sigilyph and Conkeldurr, OU's best defensive booster/status spreader and a great physically defensive and offensive powerhouse.

At this point, I had a good looking team core. However, I was scared of opponents setting up against me, so I added Skarmory for phasing. I also needed a revenge killer, so I chose Breloom, especially since it could SD and sweep by itself too.

Latias was the last addition to the team, and, with its ability to wall both physical and special attackers that did not carry super-effective moves became the defensive pivot of the team. Plus, with CM, it could be more than just a pivot, and yet again sweep on its own.

...After some testing, I realized that the team carried a major Flying weakness. That, coupled with the fact that it was as fragile as an origami swan made out of glass was the deciding factor in removing Breloom from the team. Initially, I thought of Lucario as a replacement, as Steel types are always nice. However, Lucario still was neutral against Flying types, and didn't have the defenses to make the grade. Eventually, I turned to an unexpected contender: Bisharp. It had amazing defensive and offensive stats, a STAB priority move, AND access to SD. Skarmory was another story altogether. I honestly never needed to phaze opponents, so it got replace with Magnezone. In my thinking, Magnezone could trap opponent Skarmory and set up on them. Sadly, that again was never the case, and with the addition of Bisharp to the team, Magnezone became obsolete. However, a fast revenge killer was needed, hopefully one that did not require priority to be used. In came Terrakion, and the team was complete!

Player-by-player analysis:

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Roost

Volcarona is and was the team's default lead, and can usually rack up a few KO's each battle. With the EV spread, it's able to switch into rocks and survive with 51% health, which allows it to Roost back to full. This is the standard Volcarona set, but I feel it works even better on this team, complemented by teammates with similar capabilities. Once a QD is up, there's little the opponent can do to stop the moth, and as long as their lead has no phazing capabilities/Stone Edge, can often be the end of the game. Volcarona synergizes well with Bisharp and Latias, taking Fighting- and Dark- type physical attacks with relative ease and sometimes sticking the opponent with a burn, ruining their day.

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

This Conkeldurr is your standard Conkeldurr, except it isn't. Going with a Careful nature allows Conkeldurr to forego some of its massive attacking power to survive more special hits, allowing it to get up a Bulk Up or two or to get a Drain Punch KO. I intially thought about replacing this beast, due to a lack of knowing how to play him. However, once I realized when he was used best (late game), I was able to use him to his full potential. His only major issue is Jellicent; however, with the Careful nature and freezing capabilities of Ice Punch, it can freeze and get set up (Many people don't know/forget about Scald thawing them out!). Synergizing well with Bisharp, Conkeldurr can draw Psychic type attacks, and Bisharp can subsequently KO them with a Sucker Punch or SD on the switch.

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spd
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Psycho Shift
- Roost
- Stored Power

Sigilyph is the threat that no one expects, but everyone should be prepared for. It is not only immune to status (Once it's burned, of course!), it can spread burns like the plague, all while setting up itself. The ability to Boost-Boost-Roost is valuable, because things like Magnezone and Politoed loose their edge after a Roost. allowing for even more boosts. Once it's at 4x 4x, the only hope an opponent has is Roar/Whirlwind or a Crit (And even then, it could still survive!). Sigilyph pairs well with Latias, as Latias appreciates having the edge taken off of physical attackers by a burn.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Substitute

Latias is amazing, and I don't think this team could work without it. Its ability to sponge elemental attacks, win CM wars, and (relatively) wall rain teams make it this team's MVP. With its all-around bulk, and Dragon type STAB, it can often come in on an attack that could kill a teammate, and use that oppritunity to kill the check, and hopefully the rest of their team. Timid allows it to outspeed typical Toxic and Paralysis phazers and set up a sub, making it relatively invincible. It can have issues with physical Jirachi spreads, so Sigilyph often has to come in and burn them, which is annoying. Overall, though, Latias can hold its own against most of the meta, and those it can't, its teammates can.

Bisharp @ Leftovers
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 206 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Brick Break

Bisharp is a Pokemon that is horrifically underrated. Analyses say that it should be UU, but, for me, it handles spectacularly in OU. It can come in on Crunches, Shadow Balls, and lots of other moves that can drop stats, and if it's lucky score the equivalent of a Swords Dance thanks to Defiant. Assuming that doesn't happen, though, it can easily kill things that think that they can use coverage moves with Sucker Punch. After only one SD or Defiant boost, it is able to wreck opposing teams, making them desperate for a way to counter it (which, more often than not, they don't have). The only way to easily kill it is to get a super effective move off before it can set up; afterwards, it's useless.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Sacred Sword

Last but not least, Terrakion takes the role of revenge killer. With its ability to kill many things that would otherwise send the team cowering in fear (Heatran!), it is a great asset to the team. It carries Sacred Sword for times where it ends up having to stay out for more than a single revenge kill, since the defense drop from CC could easily ruin its day. The only major issues that this big fella faces are opposing sashed Terrakion and defensive types that it simply cannot kill in one shot.

ISSUES:
As long as you're not surprised by an opponent's attack or make a major judgement error, this team is hard to beat. However, choosing an appropriate lead for all situations is an issue that I frequently face with them, and a wrong choice can often cost me the battle. More Pokemon-specific issues would be Specs Landorus; without the ability to kill it quickly, it can become a real headache. Perish Song Politoed is also annoying, because its best counter is Latias, and she isn't able to 3HKO it w/o boosts, and they will often run Protect or Encore, making it an even bigger issue.

NOTABLE BATTLES:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-15374474
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-15372985
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-15188826
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-15062046
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-15161822
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-14973583
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-14880420
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-14714620

EXPORT:

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Roost

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spd
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Psycho Shift
- Roost
- Stored Power

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Substitute

Bisharp @ Leftovers
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 206 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Brick Break

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Sacred Sword

Thank you so much for reading through my entire spheal, and I will take into consideration any and all comments and criticism you have to offer!

funny how in all of your "notable battles" you are playing garbage can teams.

any samples of you vs.'ing standard teams?

For some reason, I don't consider 1826 a "garbage can" team. Plus, a RMT doesn't require replays, you should be able to rate/suggest changes w/o seeing replays. Do you have any helpful suggestions?

Hey man this is a cool team!

However, I see a weakness to hazards. I would suggest

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
over your Bisharp. This way you have access to Rocks and spinning. Also, this would serve as a great defensive Pokemon for you team.

On Latias, I would really suggest Max speed over defense because you don't want to be outsped by the likes of Jirachi or Terrakion. Plus it's helpful to be on the safe side of getting Sub in first.

Otherwise great team!

Surprisingly enough, I've never really run into any problems with hazards- the most pressing would be Toxic Spikes, but hardly anyone tries to use those, it's almost always SR.

On Latias, I'd rather keep it as-is. It doesn't have any need to outspeed Jirachi, seeing as it has no way to 2 of 3HKO it. The defense also allows it to survive many hits that would ruin it if I ran max speed. I may change up the speed a bit, incase of a TWave Jirachi. Thanks for pointing that out!

I don't have any suggestions really. Your team looks fine to my eyes. However, my eyes aren't to be trusted at this point as they're still learning.

NOTE: After some more testing, and a sudden epiphany, I've decided to try Conkeldurr out with Thunderpunch. I'm not sure if I will just replace Ice Punch, or if I'll replace Mach Punch. The only possible issue with this would be Landorus-T, but Conkeldurr hasn't been able to counter that yet. If you have a suggestion on a good way to counter it, I'm all ears!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)