Bounsweet, Steenee, Tsareena Discussion

For a Rain Team, I am trying a Offensive Spinner build that is very similar to how Donphan runs one. Have to put it to the test of course but I do think she has good potential. She helps soaks up Grass and Electic attacks that water fear. Fire is eliminated as a weakness for herself. Also not too worried about ice since, she stops the priority one. I think she should be able to take at least 1 non priority ice attack and retaliate with Hi Jump Kick as well. I have Uturn and volt already on my team so I went more for coverage.

Tsareena
Adamant-Queen’s Majesty-Assault Vest
(252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def)
Trop Kick
Hi Jump Kick
Rapid Spin
Play Rough

Did some calcs on Tsareena vs the OU ghosts (M-Sableye and Gengar):
Versus M-Sableye Utility set:
252+ Atk Tsareena Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Mega Sableye: 154-182 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Mega Sableye Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tsareena: 89-105 (25.5 - 30.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Versus M-Sableye Calm Mind set:
252+ Atk Tsareena Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 126-150 (41.4 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+4 0 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tsareena: 153-181 (43.9 - 52%) -- 13.7% chance to 2HKO
+5 0 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tsareena: 178-211 (51.1 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Versus Gengar
252+ Atk Tsareena Trop Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 90-106 (34.7 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tsareena: 276-328 (79.3 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs M-Sableye: The utility set should be the easier variant to take on since M-Sableye will be 2KO'd if it tries to spinblock and comes in on a Play Rough. M-Sableye with max hp/defense investment (calm mind set) will be harder to take on since it's a 3HKO and there's the threat of being burned. Although with Assault Vest and max hp investment M-Sableye has to get up 4 Calm Minds to even have a slight chance to 2KO Tsareena.

Vs Gengar: Not a good match-up as Gengar resists Trop Kick/Play Rough, is faster, and will 2KO Tsareena with Sludge Wave even with assault vest and max hp investment.

Quite a decent all around Pokemon. I've been keeping an eye on Tsareena for awhile, and I have to say, it has the tools to work in UU, with niches in OU. 72/98/98 bulk is quite workable, and access to Rapid Spin means that it can remove hazards decently. 120 attack is respectable. Not eye-poppingly crazy, but it could make for some moderate wallbreaking. 72 speed is a bit of a dead zone, as you're not fast enough to deal with Pokemon above that, but not overly slow to work in Trick Room, either. Quite average in many respects, but a Jolly nature and/or a Choice Scarf can mitigate this somewhat. In terms of movepool, it's fairly shallow, but it has the moves to fill certain roles. With Rapid Spin, Tsareena can fulfill the role of a bulky spinner. With U-turn, you can keep the momentum going, VoltTurn core or not, and/or pivot out of danger when needed. With High Jump Kick, you're not walled by Steel-types, though it comes at a heavy cost if you miss. Trop Kick, which is the sole signature move of this butt kicking fruit queen, you can threaten physical attackers. Heck, there's still plenty to work with, like Synthesis to keep you healthy, Play Rough for coverage against other common types like Dark and Dragon, Acrobatics to snuff out Pokes like Heracross and Breloom -- The tools you have at your disposal, while minimal, are quite useful for utility and moderate wallbreaking.

While the main focus of Tsareena is to snuff out priority attacks, it can possibly serve some key roles to a extent. Grass, especially pure, is a tough type to work with, but Tsareena has great potential.

Might be overselling it here...

You know it's pretty weird how in the same generation we got THREE grass type pokemon that can remove hazards. Unfortunately I have a hard time seeing the queen out shining the Decidueye or Dhelmise. The ghost typing on both allow them to both play the role of hazard control and spin blocker. On top of that they both get a decently powerful attack that also traps (why are both the pokemon in the same generation?!) In fact just thinking about it Tsareena is somewhat of a mixture between the two minus the ghost typing. It's truly unfortunate as she isn't even bad. Will be a key player in whatever tier she lands in, but I can't see her out performing the ghost duo.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You know it's pretty weird how in the same generation we got THREE grass type pokemon that can remove hazards. Unfortunately I have a hard time seeing the queen out shining the Decidueye or Dhelmise. The ghost typing on both allow them to both play the role of hazard control and spin blocker. On top of that they both get a decently powerful attack that also traps (why are both the pokemon in the same generation?!) In fact just thinking about it Tsareena is somewhat of a mixture between the two minus the ghost typing. It's truly unfortunate as she isn't even bad. Will be a key player in whatever tier she lands in, but I can't see her out performing the ghost duo.
Actually four of the new grass types can remove hazards: Dhelmise (spin), Decidueye (Defog), Lurantis (Defog), & Tsareena (spin).

Tsareena won't be threatened by Dark and Ghost types, though, and has the added utility of stopping priority. Its also the fastest of the three despite still having mediocre Speed.

It also depends on how teams shape up. my rain team only had swampert to combat a ferrothorn or chansey. but tsareena has hi jump kick which makes it a decent option. its movepool is decent enuf, that a switch in isnt neccesarily safe for mons like tyranitar (which my rain hates). she def does have competition from other spinners and assault vest users neutrally but she can find spots on teams.

Last edited:
Ehh... It is okay. The only problem with it is that even with a Scarf a lot of fast Mega's still outspeed, and its mono grass typing does it no favors. It is still a good mon, but I was really hoping for at least 100 Spe. Guess that was too much to ask for in this generation. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)