Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Explanation:
As mentioned in the tread list keldeo is a massive tread to this team the teams best switch into keldeo is rotom-wash which id hardly call a switch in since secret sward two hits after rock and hydro pump does two after a little bit of prior damage.So why torn-t and lando well I think they combined effectively wall the rest of the team(other than rotom-w) and give momentum for keldeo to destroys the team

Rotom-w
although this core struggles with rotom-w volt switch only does 35-42 to torn and once it switch out I can then counter all of the other 5 mons that can switch in also rotom does not like knock off as it is very dependant on leftovers and knock would also put rotom-w in range of two hydro pump or secret sword .So although rotom-w does really well versus this core because I can counter all of the other mons with this core the effect of rotom-w is lessens also rotom may be taken out of the picture very quickly since it would be the main switch into keldeo and so it would not last long it the game. all that I would have to do also is add one mon that can beat rotom-w to this core and it would be easy .Over all the momentum gaining power of the core and the lack of switch in to keldeo mean rotom-w is the main to switch in to the hole core so it would be under tons of pressure it would be a bit like keldeo facing dark spam.

Last edited:
Reserving scorned by sobi and destroyer of sobi.

Also known as mega Diancie and thunderous

+

Sets
Scorned by Sobi (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 SpA / 16 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Destroyer (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot / Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Explanation: This Team Utterly hates mega diancie. No getting around it. Where it not for Kelfki she would go to town on the majority of the team with only serperior capable of Revenging. Even then Klefki is not a reliable answer as it can be 2hkoed by Hidden power fire if it expects Earth power or tries to spike on the predicted switch. Once diancie gets in which is usally done by predicting a hazard, Switching into Sableye or Bisharp or just revenging Garchomp something is going to die. This teams only true answer is to double or revenge with serperior which is where Thundo comes in. Its immune to paralysis and resists Leafstorm so makes a decent one of switch or good predicted double and once in can cripple it with T-wave or If chosen Nasty Plot to start blowing holes in the team with its bolt beam combo. The 2 work well togethor as diancie keeps Hazards off the field just by existing while thundo absorbs Serp.

Viability: Diancie is arguebly the best offensive mega in the game right now with coverage thats only really checked by AV metagross, Scizor, Reuniclus or Calm mind clefable. None of which are present on this team. Thundo while declining somewhat in viability due to the presence of grounds and Clef benefits from its partnership with diancie in the form of hazard protection making his job of blowing up fat crap and E-checking stuff easier.

Apolgies for the lack of replays I had a busy weekend and have only just got free. I'll try to get some but tho. Good luck for the remainder of core posting

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Substitute

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

Rather than posting something already mentioned during the discussion period (like Mega Altaria + Zone), I wanted to try and find a Pokemon people didn't mention. CM Raik came to mind. Although Raik struggles in this metagame, its performance versus this team is awesome. It's faster than every member and easily exploits Klefki. Because Klefki is such a key way for this team to keep so many threats from going crazy, having a Pokemon capable of abusing its presence is really cool. After a CM, every member is either killed in 1 or 2 hits by Raik's attacks. Having Sub to guard you versus Sharp's priority and status from Rotom-W/Mega Eye makes Raik even more dangerous here. Mega Lop is just as scary for this team. It's faster than every member and nothing really likes switching into its attacks (especially HJK). It's especially good for 1. helping you deal with Bisharp and keeping the team's overall offensive core in check, and 2. inviting Klefki to switch in for Raik to use as fodder. Here is a replay showing the basic idea here:

Replay
  • Some turns pass until I draw Klefki in with Latios on turn 8. Raik was then free to come in and use CM as Sharp switches in on turn 10. I sub on the predicted Sucker, kill Sharp, and then sweep. Sharp vs. Raik could possibly lead to mind games with Sub vs. Sucker. Like bludz mentioned though, Volt Switch was expected because Sub is usually the secondary choice on CM sets these days, and this can easily be used to your advantage. Mega Lop didn't do as much, but it's easy to see how it's problematic for the team once Rotom-W (who lacks Pain Split) is sufficiently weakened.
As a core, these two aren't common together. They still do help each other in some ways though, with Raik scaring away things like Slowbro/Skarm and Mega Lop scaring away things like Tar/Ferro. Raik in general isn't used much nowadays because the metagame isn't in its favor much. It's still a good option to break this team with regardless and will give its wielder a run for their money alongside Mega Lop.

Last edited:
Hall of Fame Update time

Hall of Fame Tally
Infernal
3 Matthewc20090, Random Passerby
2 Little Lucario, Bendiving, cfdba, FrozenCold, Sketch Up,
1 Team Pokepals, AM, Docter Ciel, Luaral, Flygoner818, Bludz, Gamer Boy, Ethanlol, Phantom Me, Soldier, Yuruuu, King Sun, Paper Dreams, Creator of Chaos

Well it is Offical Infernal is the all ruling goddess of the Thread with a Whopping 6 Hall of Nominations. She also has the right to nominate 2 Teams of her choosing be it one of hers or a someone else's. I would like to thank her for everything she has contributed to this thread. Its all gold Quality and I hope you continue to contribute :). In addition to Infernals achievements I paper dreams and of Course Myself Also join the hall of fame list. Its about time to because I was getting ready to unleash a T-wave Spam team on you lot if I didn't get in ;)

Just a few more hours to post cores people

Core 2- Mega Diancie punches wholes in the team, Thundurus can freely set up on klefki.

Core 3-
Raikou sets up vs klefki then wins. Mega Lopunny also has no problem once rotom-w is whittled down.

Core 1 - Keldeo Alone poses huge issues to the team while Torn-T and Lando Help provide moentoum for Keldeo
Core 3 - Not much to say. Once Raikou has calm minded up little on this team can beat it

Sobi

Banned deucer.
okay, well the winning core for this week is Infernal 's again.... Congrats to them!
Scolipede @ Lansat Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Substitute
- Megahorn

Kingdra @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 240 HP / 116 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stored Power
- Morning Sun

Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Stone Edge
Okay so this team came from a RMT that was posted a few weeks ago, and it's a very successful and innovative team which is based around Baton Pass + Lansat Berry Scolipede. Us co-hosts decided it would be interesting to feature this team this week and see what you guys had to say about it and maybe point out any flaws / weak spots in the team.

Usually you will lead with Scolipede unless you predict your opponent to lead with mons that can prevent the pass. You would usually lead lando-t vs those threats to prevent them from sweeping you from the start. Obviously, you don't always try just lead with Scolipede, pass some boosts and win. The first 3 moves are self-explanatory, the 4th move is to prevent being completely shut down by taunt, and also to hit some relevant threats (e.g lead azelf). Kingdra is what makes this strategy broken! When it gets the focus energy boost there’s literally nothing stopping it on most teams. The only true counter to this mon is Chansey / Blissey, and teams that carry those generally just lose to Espeon / Heracross. Your goal with using this is to accept the boosts from Scolipede and proceed to victory. Heracross-Mega has very few counters and is a joy to use when there isn't a Talonflame on the opposing side. Heracross generally is the main sweeper because it can take advantage of the boosting berry to crit one of its many 5 hit moves. The max hp is to live a Latios psyshock from full, and the speed is for normal Rotom-W / Lando to outspeed them and connect for nice damage. Espeon was added with the intent of not losing to stall at all, and is option 3 of potentially 4 sweepers. The combo of Heracross and Espeon makes it nearly impossible for general stall builds to beat this team. It has max defense to take on Mega Sableye’s foul play or knock off much better and even bulky t-flames brave birds. Heatran is the rocker and a Pokemon that could pressure Skarm out that wasn't Espeon. Heatran rarely sweeps but with its power herb it actually can do some breaking and remove threats like Rotom/Keldeo and aid a potential Lando-T sweep. The modest nature is to grant the guaranteed OHKO on Rotom-W after rocks and take out mons like Slowbro/Starmie as well. Lando-T does a great job of lessening the opponent’s attack with intimidate, and is potentially a great sweeper if they lack a rotom-w. It can set up on an opposing Lando-T and pressure out mons such as Torn-T and Mega Zam, as they’re easily OHKOd. Lando-T also provides the important electric immunity, preventing your opponent from just clicking T-bolt vs you. (Taken from RMT)

You may now discuss the team.

It Struggles with Mega Gardevoir because sound bypasses substitute and Hyper Voice can do this much 252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 155-183 (48.1 - 56.8%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO. With rocks it might also prevent it from setting up another sub. Also Thundy-I stops scolipede being able to slow it down with t-wave or taunt it shutting it down completely forcing him to go to espeon and predict the t-wave/taunt.

two weeks in a row with out a keldeo counter , I could just suggest the same core is last week only this team the core does even better (the core was AV torn-t lando-t and keldeo)
Also Nasty plot LO thunderus just wins you plot up on the protect and if he predict lando and HP ices games ends just get sweeped by t-bolt because of no priority or speed control other than speed boost

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've faced this team multiple times in all of my recent play sessions and I've just SD'd up on Tran with Talonflame and won every time. This is a big hole in the build and it is so fun for me considering I've been spamming SD Talon for a few weeks and I've not been screwed over by this team once. Also yea Keld just dumps on this because the counter is Scolipassing to something. Also it just comes in for free on Tran and gets a kill if it's specs

Here's some replays I ripped straight from the RMT

Anyway, besides Mega Gardevoir and Keldeo which were already mentioned, the team also faces trouble from Mega Pinsir and Tornadus-T because the only Flying resist is Heatran. Btw this team really hates Dragon Tail and Taunt.

Baton Pass teams in general also suffers from strong wallbreakers like Mega Medicham and Mega Heracross since they really want to boost their stats and has no way of reliably checking or revenge killing those threats. Also, because of the power of these wallbreakers, Baton Passing to a sweeper normally causes it to faint so it is indeed something to think about when using such teams. Pokemon that can boost alongside Scolipede like SD Garchomp also causes the team to suffer a lot of pressure.

DISCLAIMER: Since Baton Pass is such a "competitive" strategy, people might want to moan about it and ban it or question Smogon tiering policy. Please do not do that in this thread as it is not the right place to ask for it to be banned.

Last edited:
The rare doublade does all sorts of work vs the sweepers of this team and passer (MHera, Espeon, Scoli). He can't take Kingdra due to Hydro pump (if it crits), which kinda shuts him down as an option.

The main issue at walling this team defensively is holy shit that's a lot of boosting. And it's a lot of powerful mons boosting. Like Quagsire actually has only one mon on this team he can effectively fuck with after boosts (which upon reading thread title, I thought he'd do work).

I think skarmory is the answer from the physical side. You can sit in on Scoli for years while he's trying to speed pass and taunt/ww, which completely fucks over any baton pass. Sure, they've got magic bounce for WW, but aren't you just doing skarm a favor by giving a 1 in 5 free switch to chansey? Stall team would switch anyways so you literally lose nothing over that. MHera can't beat you, Lando can't beat you. Skarm is definitely the Phydef component to any core shafting this.

Your Spdef type isn't scared of Kingdra so much as tran. Trapper tran just puts you in bad situations, but this is literally the worst variant of it (aka Chansey w/stoss 1v1s this set). Like I can literally toss skarm+Chansey here and laugh at the team because I'm fairly certain nothing on it beats it. You can't put power herb on a heatran where you should have leftovers+toxic+TAUNT <---- Where in the high hell is taunt on that tran?

No seriously. Skarm+Chansey. GG you can't win. The only hope you have is hera does enough damage that you somehow break skarm (even though you really want scoli to get those boosts over so skarm's already in). Like your best option is to trade out your only stall breaker for skarmory and pray they don't have a wall for Lando remaining. That's just never going to work.

Espeon's set does work through that core (after realizing it was max hp [271->334?], was talking with someone last night). Guessing it was you seeing as we also talked how scoli would get little to no boosts off infront of skarmory. Still to be so firmly beat in 5 mons by 2 doesn't bode well and is no justification for that heatran set. Unless you expect Esp to 6-0 stall, I don't really think my point is invalid here (cuz even if we're talking the ABMeme stall team Esp still loses after one kill).

The other mon that came up was Unaware Clefable. Different sets have different places to really shine, but Skarm+Unaware Clef's standard set should just about win too.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Espeon's set does work through that core (after realizing it was max hp [271->334?], was talking with someone last night). Guessing it was you seeing as we also talked how scoli would get little to no boosts off infront of skarmory. Still to be so firmly beat in 5 mons by 2 doesn't bode well and is no justification for that heatran set. Unless you expect Esp to 6-0 stall, I don't really think my point is invalid here (cuz even if we're talking the ABMeme stall team Esp still loses after one kill).

The other mon that came up was Unaware Clefable. Different sets have different places to really shine, but Skarm+Unaware Clef's standard set should just about win too.
You would need to be Calm Mind Unaware Clef to stand a chance against boosted Stored Powers due to the increase in BP and the ease of racking up the appropriate stats. This disregards a bunch of scenarios where Clef needs to be already in and already set up multiple times. In the grand scheme of things Unaware Clef being buns is another factor, albeit less relevant to the discussion at hand. Highly doubt a defensive oriented team or core stands much chance without some luck.

+
HP ice brothers

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

As said be me and many other in the analysis this team is very weak to thunderus. If you lead thunderus against scoli which is almost certain lead of the team then you plot up on his protect then the only thing he can pass the boosts to is lando-t and thats only if you dont predict it and HP ice if you do predict the HP ice the game is literally over . The reason lando-t is in the core is so you can play it safe and go for thunder bolt and it wont matter if he goes lando because this lando set counters other lando's since it is Hidden power ice lando-t . if the other team loses either lando-t or scoli it game over and it can still be game over even if he doesn't with the HP ice prediction so over all the team has no counter to thuderus and the only way to get around it is passing speed boost to lando-t which can be delt with by my own HP ice lando-t . Sorry if the explanation is a bit brief but a had nothing else to say.

+

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

This is a pretty standard core and as you can see SD Mega Heracross can basically sweep the entire team with only the opposing Mega Heracross standing in its way. Jirachi is a standard partner for Mega Heracross as it threatens the opposing Mega Hera, can U-Turn out of unfavourable match-up and lures in Scolipede, which gives a free pass for Heracross to wreck everything. Healing Wish is also a valuable support move so you can play recklessly.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-391582688

First off, I expected him to lead with Mega Heracross since it's the only thing preventing him from being swept so I lead Jirachi to apply immediate pressure. Unfortunately, he predicted that and led Scolipede instead. However, his misplay with Scoli cost him the momentum which he was desperate to get back by Intimidating so I just switch to Gyara to pressure him. In hindsight, I could have put up some Rocks as I could sweep cleanly with Mega Heracross later on but yeah, once he let his Lando-T and Mega Heracross weakened, the game is all but over.

+2 252 Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 320-380 (88.6 - 105.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Assault Vest Azumarill + Snatch Bisharp + Defensive M-Altaria

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Snatch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 150 SpA / 6 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Roar / Perish Song for the lulz
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Earthquake

Av Azumarill just outright KOs everything on this team, and can take any single hit. It is the only real check to Kingdra that isn't a total blob, avoiding the 2HKO from hydro pump and blowing it up with Playrough in return. Heracross would be a challenge if it ran bullet seed. Aqua just is needed late game for cleaning up weakened enemies or messing with scolipede when it tries to pass without a sub. Solar beam from Heatran only does ~70%.

Bisharp is a somewhat silly, but none-less effective set that can just sweep the team from turn one. Leading against scoli, click SD turn 1 as it protects, and then snatch the sub and watch them forfeit. Max HP is needed to avoid a 2HKO from +1 dazzling gleam, so espeon is setup bait. You can even be cheeky and snatch some calm minds or morning suns. Once set up, hera is the only real stop, since Lando is OHKOed after SR with +1 sucker punch. As an aside, snatch is actually a decent option outside of counter-teaming, since it lets you beat things that try to heal/setup in your face.

Mega Altaria should really be SD Talonflame, but that was already mentioned, so this is another option. Hyper voice 2HKOs everything that's not Heatran (or Scolipede), which is why you carry earthquake. Hitting through sub lets you pressure everything on this team, and the only thing that can OHKO you is a Crit Ice beam from Kingdra. Roar is an obvious choice against baton pass teams and can act as an emergency stop to a +2 Heracross or Lando behind a sub. Perish song is a hilarious choice if you lead with this, since your opponent will probably just forfeit on the spot.

Teammates for this core would be fat stuff that can handle a boosted Lando-T or boosted M-hera behind a sub. Scarf Chandelure with infiltrator is THE answer to these two, but it's not viable otherwise. Defensive Hippo is likely the safest bet. Overall this core is a pretty solid answer to each member of this team. There are some EV tweaks that could be made, particularly for Azu and Altaria, but I like it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If anyone could run this at an ELO where you might run into team in question I'd be grateful for some replays. It's scarce for a 1600 peasant such as myself.

Last edited:
If anyone could run this at an ELO where you might run into team in question I'd be grateful for some replays. It's scarce for a 1600 peasant such as myself.
you could just ask sobi to play you (im presumming thats what random passerby did) . Also if you want il play you with the team :) my names the same on PS

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Feint
- Return
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum

Since Scolipede is usually subs or Protects the 1st turn it allows for azumarill to set up or allow pinsir to get 2 feints off. Once scolipede faints the team sorta gets shut down since speed passing is essential. (Don't know what evs for bd azu since I don't use it so I put max max)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-391788588 VS Oml It's too ez

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 16 HP / 8 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

Mega Gard does very well versus this team and I'll mainly use replays to show/explain why. Thank you paper dreams for testing with me:

Replay 1
  • Here is one where I lead with Gard. I decided to wait a little before mega evolving because I was curious to see how well Gard could use Trace to abuse Scoli's own speed boosts versus the team. After getting some speed boosts, I mega evolve on turn 5 and CM on a predicted Sub. From there, Scoli was forced to pass to Tran because every other member would die to Hyper Voice, which goes through Sub. Tran comes in, dies, and Mega Gard proceeds to clean sweep. Being faster than Tran because of the speed boosts gained from Tracing Scolipede was also cool!
Replay 2
  • Here I mega evolve on turn 1 to see how things would go. I spam Psyshock until Lando-T comes in and forces me to switch to Rotom-W. Lando-T ends up dying to Rotom-W, followed by Scoli switching in and using Sub on my Volt Switch. I bring in Mega Gard afterwards and continue to spam Psyshock. Once around 50%, Scoli had to make a choice: 1. sub and risk dying to a Hyper Voice (which, again, goes through sub), 2. use Megahorn on a predicted Hyper Voice and risk dying to Psyshock instead, and 3. pass to something and risk a member eating a potential Hyper Voice and end up dying versus Mega Gard. #2 ended up happening, and in every scenario, Scoli was backed into a corner. Mega Gard goes on to sweep the team clean.
Anyway, the replays don't cover every single possible scenario versus this team and I am sure there are situations where things could become a little tricky. However, Mega Gard definitely does a nice job pressuring the team/giving the team a hard time passing comfortably right from turn 1. Talon is the partner of choice because priority Brave Bird is a really nice way to keep Scoli and Mega Hera in check. After a SD, Talon also has the potential to sweep by itself, especially after Mega Gard has done its job punching holes into the team. As far as viability goes, the core is also standard: Talon handles steels like Mega Sciz for its partner here, while Mega Gard pressures nuisances like Slowbro and so on. Overall, the core does well here and gives the team a run for its money in 2 slots only. Back the core up with a solid team and you have a good duo to break this team with.

Last edited:
After this week of work I'll be available for replays again if anyone is interested. I've been busy doing extra shifts so I can use the power of money more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)