Project Break This Team (Week 42)

...It has leech seed, sleep powder and knock off. Bisharp is going to be seriously neutered dealing with Tangrowth. Yeah it'd be better with HP fire, but a sleeping bisharp isn't that much of a threat to a team where four other mons on the team can handle him if they come in safely.

Yeah fairies definitely hurt this team especially with an over Reliance on drill to check them and as we all know fairy is the best type right now so having just 1 check even as good as drill can be a detriment and once tangrowths sleep powder is revealed it only gets harder. Of course a player of clones or AMs caliber could easily double switch but that goes both ways.

Another thing that troubles the team is mega lopunny. Sure drill in sand and megazam can revenge but something needs to die first for that to happen.

All that said team is really well built (doesn't have the usual AZU + lando weakness) and good play can somewhat mitigate the fairy/lop issues. My favorite Part is that is the team uses a strong regonorater core as a backbone for its offence punch. I look forward to testing

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Tangrowth: 141-166 (34.9 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

From personal experience, I figured Tangrowth would probably do fine. You just have to keep hitting it with Giga Drain and hope to make use of regen. If if PuPs you, that's a different story. Ice punch does about 10% less here and HJK needs to hit. Not perfect but I've seen worse.

Just curious does anyone have any replays of this team in action with perspective cores?. I've been to busy this week to partner up. And get replays so Any would be appreciated

Well Since nobody has posted a core I may as well do so

+
+

Sets
The Apocalyse (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Magnet Rise

Explanation: This Core cause's no end of trouble for the team and while it doesn't auto-win paired up with a mega like diancie or Lopunny the Team just melts. Using T-wave spam as a clutch everything short of Drill and Rotom can be crippled to make the team easy pickings for fellow team members. Beyond T-wave Clefable assuming Tangrowth has used its sleep powder sets up on every member but drill which once removed can win on its own and since it is the only reliable check will be forced in very regularly making it very easy to double out to lando who can then either rock, u-turn out on the switch or just ping a switch in. Sooner or later Drill will die letting clef break through. The only way the pair lose is if Alakazam gets a clean switch and calm minds before clef does while it is status free so to avoid this doomsday scenerio Klefki is added. Prioty T-wave Prevents ala winning and it sets up spikes reducing Drills chance's To check clef further. It can also use Magnet rise + Foul play to troll it.

Basically the hole idea is eliminate Drill and Ala then just watch Clef go to town.

Viability: Clef is the best pokemon in the game right now thanks to its ability to check and set up on much of the game and will be for the forseeable future with mulitple sets. Any team that has it is automatically improved. Lando and Klefki are similar in that they check large portions of the meta and are versitile. As a core Clef and Lando have long been established as good annoying partners that can deal with much of the meta on there own and Double fairy with klefki is a proven Concept. The Annoying Trio :)

PS: Is every team Clone makes clefable weak?

Last edited:

Mega Medicham+ Weavile

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick
- Bullet Punch

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

I was sorta lazy on building since I literally just took dis core off a team I made about 2 weeks ago. The teams Mega Medi counters are Torn-T and Mega Zam which should never be the answers to it considering they take a chunk load from all of it's moves. Tangrowth can like 1 HJK but sleep powder isn't that reliable. Weavile can pressure mons like Torn-T and Alakazam (pre-mega) and can deal a lot with pursuit with CB. CB weavile also deals alot of damage to Rotom-W/ Tangrowth being able to 2hko dem( for rotom-w it's a roll). Rocks help weavile get majority of it's 2HKO's.

252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 80 Def Tyranitar: 169-199 (41.8 - 49.2%) -- 83.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 159-187 (52.4 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 108-127 (35.6 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-381681990 VS LittleLucario
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-381691216 VS Chillarmy

May as well help contribute if there's only 2 cores :o

Offensive SD Scizor-Mega + SD Bisharp

scizor-mega.gif
bisharp.gif

Sets:

Scizor-Mega (F) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Bisharp (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

This team badly lacks answers to either of these two. This is a really simple HO core (namely showcased in CBB's famous squad) that's still really solid to this day, and they run through this team (theoretically) very easily. The Scizor answer boils down to Rotom-W and Heat Wave Torn-T, both of which fail to deal with the offensive SD set well:

+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 246-291 (81.1 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 288-340 (96.3 - 113.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Bisharp is also a huge pain, as it helps in wearing down Rotom and Excadrill for Scizor. It can also conceivably sweep this team relatively easily, as Rotom isn't a very solid check to it and there's no fighting type present on the team.

It's also worth noting that these two both get free setups vs. Tyranitar, so it's not as though their windows of opportunity are slim. The team also lacks hazard removal, so whittling the opposition into range of these two shouldn't be difficult.

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

CM Mega Eye gives this team a hard time and is the main threat of the core. Mega Zam, Tar, Tang, and Rotom-W are all walled or used as CM fodder. To take a boosted Mega Eye down, the team has to (literally) get lucky with flinches or confusions from Exca and Torn-T, respectively. Clef is a similar case. The only thing the team really has for Clef is Exca, who is typically worn down too easily to stick around long enough to be a reliable answer. Every other member is susceptible to paralysis or used as fodder for CM. Below are two replays showing the core in action:

Replay 1
  • So Clef leads off against the likely Torn-T lead, forcing it to switch to avoid getting paralyzed. Rotom-W comes in and ends up dying to Clef 1v1. Exca comes in to force the Clef switch and gets blown away by Whirlwind after using SD and weakening Skarm.
  • Tar is blown in by Whirlwind. Knowing it's support Tar, I directly switch in Eye because I know I can take its attacks comfortably. I proceed to CM up and burn Tar. Exca eventually comes in and is forced to try and flinch Mega Eye down. This ultimately happens, and Exca ends up burned in the process. The rest of the match takes its course from there.
  • The Mega Eye vs. Exca duel shows the team needs some luck to avoid being swept. In the case that this actually does happen, Exca will likely end up burned by WoW. After it's burned, Clef becomes hugely threatening. In this game, Clef didn't end up sweeping because of a critical after paralyzing Mega Zam, but the point still stands.
Replay 2
  • No Clefable here, but rather a replay showing CM Mega Eye off versus the team in question. Like in replay 1, Exca ends up burned and tries to go for flinches, which I avoid risking here. The game takes its course from there, with Mega Eye sweeping at the end of the day and doing a lot of work throughout the match in general.
Granted the teams or plays made in either replay may not be perfect, but I think the battles still demonstrate the main idea behind the core. This core takes a more defensive approach to beating this team and aims to win in the long run after wearing down, crippling, or eliminating the necessary Pokemon. Play it well and it'll probably win. Most cores with Mega Eye can work here, and the teams it's generally on will do a good job versus the team.

Last edited:
Well Time for posting cores is over and while we only got 4 as alot of us have been busy the last week we now have a gold standard for posting curtesy of infernal. Congrats on the high quality post :). Anyway tho its time to decide which core is the best core before the 29th week dawns.

Core's
Core 1 - Landorous + Clefable + Klefki
Core 2 - Mega medicham + Weavile
Core 3 - Mega Scizor + Bisharp
Core 4 - Mega Sableye + Clefable

As usual, everyone gets 2 Votes (no voting for your own core!) and in addition you must provide a brief explanation as to why you voted for the core. Voting will end on Monday. Good luck and have fun!!! Oh yeah, whoever reaches the Hall of Fame 3 times or more gets to have their team broken.

Core 2. And core 4

Mega medi puts insane pressure on the defensive part of the team while cleans up the offensive side.

Infernals core however just destroys the team with the duel calm mind status core shredding it. A very high quality post with replays

Core 3 - Mega Scizor can set up on 1/2 the members of the team and can sweep at +2 with prior damage to rotom-w.

Core 4 - Mega Sableye gives the team trouble being able to cockblock tar, mega zam, tangrowth, and spread status to exca while making torn-t have to hit a bunch of hurricanes while setting up with cm. Clefable also gives the team trouble since what it can only do is beat it with exca or put it to sleep which naturally mega sableye wards off the sleep and support usually can cover exca.

Alright, voting for this week has ended! Thanks for the activity. The overwhelming winner is Infernal with her CM Mega Sableye + CM Clefable core. (more proof that Clef is the best mon in the metagame)

Core 1: 1 vote
Core 2: 1 vote
Core 3: 4 votes
Core 4: 6 votes

This week, we're breaking MegaStarUniverse 's BO which also features Mega Latias and Banded Terrakion. Good luck and have fun!

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 4 Def / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Reflect Type
- Roost

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
- Quick Attack

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Toxic

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 29 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

This team may look similar. TDK used this vs Iamgingy in SPL and Ciele used this in smogon tour week 7 finals. But instead of Hoopa-U and Alakazam as the last slot its the hard hitting Terrakion. This Bulky Offense team is made around M-latias and its team members are here to support and abuse each other to get momentum and overpower your enemy with pivots such as rotom-w and the scarf lando in to powerful attackers like banded terrakion and chip away at your enemys team which can later result in a CM Clefable sweep or scarf lando clean up. Rotom-W provides support for Heatran, Landours-T and pretty much the whole team by taking water and ground hits and and providing momentum, checking bulky grounds and helping the match up vs sand while wearing down pokemon for your other team members to break. Sassy Nature and 15 iv's on Clefable is there to take less damage from gyro balls and still outspeeding +1 Jolly Charizard X after T-wave. 232 Speed Landorus-T is there to get a slow u-turn off other scarf landos to gain momentum. 27 Iv's Rotom-W gets a slow volt switch off other rotom-w's to gain more momentum and gain more control of the battle. Win Conditions of this team include Chipping away with Terrakion and Status the other team with your status moves to wear down there health giving a opening for CM Clefable to sweep or Scarf Lando to clean. Last move on M-Latias can be anything from Reflect Type to Calm mind, T-wave, or something else that works best for you. This team has good match up vs a lot of the metagame. Try it out yourself :)

From experience of this team can tell you that Clefable, Gliscor can get out of hand if played poorly and Balance teams that can handle Terrakions STAB do well vs this team too.

If anyone has any replays of this team, it will be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
This is definitely a very solid team. I've used it quite a bit but one thing I've noticed is that gengar is a threat. It certainly isn't an autowin matchup and lando can rkill it, but basically every time gengar is allowed in it gets a big chunk of dmg off on something, so you need to limit gengar's switch-in opportunities. Mega gyarados appears as if it could become an issue if it is allowed to set up (say if terrakion is locked into close combat). The gyarados remark is purely theorymon though so it's definitely worth testing. Lure serp with hp ground as well as dpulse can pose a threat, forcing the team to sac something multiple times so lando can u-turn on it to get damage. Those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head, though.

This team looks solid, and when played well can reliably take on pretty much any threat (even the ones I'm about to mention, lol). As far as the teambuilder's comments on the 4th move on Lati being flexible, I suppose that's a fine opinion to have, but imo Reflect Type is definitely the best option for this team. Terrakion is the only +2 Bisharp check outside of outplaying sucker with Heatran or something, and Lati really doesn't want to get trapped on this team (nothing else wants to take the likes of Specs Hydro), so not being weak to those common trappers/dark types is very nice.

I think HailFall brought up a few of the biggest threats, but there are a couple I think that slipped by his first glance at the team.

BD Azu (especially Jolly), CB, or even something like a Lum+PuP set that is occasionally used on teams that rely on Azu as a Keldeo switchin can all be difficult to deal with. Rotom and Clef both take 60-70+ from Banded/+1 Play Rough, and everything else just dies to the appropriate stab. Jolly BD doesn't set up easily on anything other than Terrak locked into QA or Lando on Knock off, but if it does set up, obviously it just wins (after Sitrus with no other damage taken, it always lives T Bolt from Lati unless I am doing my math wrong). In addition to Azu's offensive power, it can take a hit from full from pretty much every member rather easily. Of course, it's not a hopeless matchup or anything of the sort, as it doesn't come in for free on anything that easily. Rotom can neutralize it with wisp, Azu risks getting burned coming in on Tran, which is the easiest thing for it to come in on, and the rest of the team has ways to deal at least decent damage to it, but it remains a threat that has to be played around.

Mega Gardevoir, both Taunt and CM variants, is also quite threatening. With it's good special bulk, it comes in on M Lati quite easily, as well as Rotom and Clef (though risks being statused by both on the switchin). And with it's pre mega ability in Trace, the best defensive answer to it on the team (Heatran) can only status it. And that's not to mention that it risks being ohkoed by Modest Focus Blast (after mega evolving) after rocks. Scarf Lando and Terrak keep it in check offensively, but it gets a kill/huge chunk almost guaranteed every time it gets in (the only real feasible pivoting that makes progress being >Heatran on Hyper Voice>Lando T on Focus Blast).

LO Breloom can also just muscle past the team given the right circumstances. Of course, M Lati checks it forever and always, so as long as you sleep fodder something else, it always handles it. However, Breloom paired with a strong trapper like CB Tar or Weavile is definitely a concern (it's a prediction war with CB Tar on Reflect Type to an extent, so again, it still can be played around). Clefable can take anything up to 4 hit neutral Bullet Seed once from full and ohko back, but neutral 5 hits or +2 3 hits ohkoes. Lando can intimidate pivot but needs to wear Loom down a bit before U turn/EQ actually KOs.

Another threat I can see is LO Hydreigon with Flash Cannon. Hydreigon comes in easily on Rotom and Tran and can ohko/2hko everything with the appropriate move, barring Tran which lacks reliable recovery. Admittedly, this one is very prediction reliant on the part of the Hydreigon user, and between Taunt/Toxic on Tran and Volt on Rotom (the 2 things it can get in on to dish out those strong attacks), it's so much easier to keep in check than the other threats brought up. I still think it's worth mentioning in passing though.

As mentioned by Random Passerby in the team post, opposing Clef can also definitely be a problem, but I won't go into detail on that.

232+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Heatran: 320-378 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 164 Def Clefable: 258-303 (65.4 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 164 Def Clefable: 430-505 (109.1 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 164 Def Clefable: 504-597 (127.9 - 151.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 221-260 (56 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Heatran: 172-203 (44.5 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

From my experience of using this team on the ladder, it has some difficulties against bulky set-up sweepers, especially those that can stomach hits from Terrakion, especially if Terrakion is locked into an undesirable move. For example, Mega Slowbro is especially annoying because the only thing that threatens it is Will-O-Wisp and all other attacks barely dent it. Clefable is another annoying Pokemon as it is only threatened by Heatran or Terrakion locking itself into Iron Head. Both of these hate Thunder Wave and Terrakion also doesn't like switching into Clefable or locking itself into a Steel-type move. I haven't faced CM Reuniclus but I would think it will be an annoyance too.

Stall teams also give the team headaches as there are only 2 members that can achieve anything; Heatran and Terrakion. Terrakion needs to predict whether to Stone Edge (resisted by Quagsire) or Close Combat (Mega Sab is immune) and is at risk of getting crippled by Scald from Quagsire or Wisp from Mega Sableye. Heatran can beat Mega Sableye and Chansey but it also gets worn down quickly by Seismic Toss and hazard damage. Banded Weavile can also eliminate it from the game if you lose the 50/50.

Thirdly, the slow Pokemon in this team also means it hates the more powerful attacks in the tier. Mega Heracross and Mega Gardevoir, for example, almost always gets a free KO if they manage to come in. Even standard LO Weavile is annoying because nothing takes its attacks easily and Scarf Lando-T can't revenge it. Breloom is also "fun" to face as you have to fodder something to Spore. Make sure to keep your Mega Latias alive if you don't want to get 6-0ed

Last edited:
Team is very well built and as we all know Mega lati is an amzing glue mon. Even things that should threaten can easily be trolled by reflect type. Not only that the team handles many other bulky and hyper offence teams well. CB terrakion is another amazing choice breaking down bulky walls, luring in wouldbe checks like lando and hitting them hard as well as dealing with Bisharp who could on its own monster the team otherwise.

All That said tho it struggles with Bulky calm minders like slowbro and clef who care little about there checks after T-wave, Ironically opposing latis hurt the team to especially if its calm mind. While its true alot of teams hate calm minders this teams weakness to them is very pronouced. Pretty much if Heatran dies or if terrakion gets locked into the wrong move it would take a phenomenal player to stop something from runaway calm minding. This team has to pretty much maintain constant offencive pressure to avoid that happening as All it take's is exploiting a double or clean switch and you can go nuts.

1 thing I noticed to is the teams lack of priority. While not overly bad it does leave the team susceptable to fast megas and opposoing piority users due to an over-reliance on lando

If anyone is interested in testing a core of Genger + Calm mind clef let me know as on paper anyway it ravages the team but I would rather see it in practice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)