Other Buried Treasure Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like sketchup says Toxicroak is pretty good atm while i dont use it myself id like to direct attention to nasty plot toxicroak. What this does over the normal sd toxicroak is that it not only catches mons by surprise but it also could care less about being burned and its pretty terrifying no less. Heres the set:

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast / Vacuum Wave
- Sludge Wave
- Dark Pulse / Vacuum Wave / Hidden Power Ice

What makes this set cool is that even this set gets priority. Of course dark pulse is the other move you could use due to how dark type moves are very spammable. You could also run hidden power ice as you do kinda lost to landorus so hp ice could help. If focus miss is somthing you dont want you can run vacuum Wave instead. Either way this is a pretty cool set and unpredictable as hell. Also not related to this set but this thing learns earthquake for gods sake and bullet punch. (pretty pointless lol) Hes got some pretty awesome coverage in theory.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Assault Vest Entei is pretty good with the right support, because you force many switches with Sacred Fire, but you can still switch into many pokemon as well. However, a weakness to stealth rocks and an average speed tier often only guarantees one switch into a Gengar for example. The banded set can't switch in either, but the switches it forces because of the much higher power means you can get kills much easier. Choice Band with Extremespeed / Sacred Fire / Stone Edge / Bulldoze is the best set. Bulldoze is for Heatran obviously, but the speed drop it gives can be crucial late game

Entei @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze

Standard Entei set. I actually liked the spread 8 HP / 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 196 Spe. This let you outspeed +Spe Base 80s (Mamoswine, Dragonite, Altaria) and you will always live a LO Earth Power from Kyurem-Black and kill it with Stone Edge.

I tried Toxicroak with different sets but sets like SubBelch were pretty difficult to set up with. SD + 3 Atks was definitely the best set to use, but being walled by Landorus-T or have lack of priority combined with an average speed tier really sucks. I tried a set that tried to fix some of these problems

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge / Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Punch

Toxicroak can force many switches because of its typing + ability, but it still has some issues against the pokemon that switches in.
You don't really have to predict against Landorus-T, because you just set a sub and kill Lando with Ice Punch (if LO) Hippowdon takes 76 - 101% from Jolly LO Focus Punch + Ice Punch and Focus Punch is a great move to use in general before you are taken out the sub (for example: Jirachi loses 80-95% versus Jolly LO)
Of course this sets has some downsides being the easiness to wear it down (if LO) and the lack of real damage (if Leftovers) Without Sucker Punch, you are also much more vulnerable to faster pokemon you can't hit that hard with Gunk Shot / Focus Punch / Ice Punch, but with the right support it can stay healthy throughout the match and really surprise the opponent.

SketchUp

I'm a bit busy this week so I'll probably won't test the discussed pokemon. Anyways:

Tyranitar got a new mega in XY but in ORAS it couldn't really shiny. How effective is Tyranitar-Mega now and what is his best set? How good is DD and what coverage should it run?
Gothitelle is infamous for trapping defensive pokemon to open a sweep for Charizard-Y, Kyurem-Black and other threats but does it also fit on defensive teams to trap Manaphy or to trap Ferrothorn for balanced teams? What is his best set in the current metagame and are gimmicks like Torment worth a mention?

Tbh, Mega Tyranitar kinda just sucks in this meta. It's outclassed by normal ttar in everything except a Dragon Dance set; normal Ttar can pursuit trap stuff better thanks to being able to hold a choice scarf or choice band, while ttar can also set up SR just like mega ttar. Normal Ttar with a CB also hits much harder than Mega ttar, while pursuit paired with Pokemon such as Landorus-I is really hard to handle.
The only set that Mega Ttar can viably run is a DD set, and it's best coverage is definitely ice punch and earthquake, because it can hit landorus-t and Gliscor, and Heatran which are super common right now. Mega Ttar is actually insanely bulky, being able to live Landorus-T's EQ from full, and CB Scizor's bullet punch. However, it's really overshadowed by other megas such as Altaria, Gyarados, and Zard x, as they are arguably better dders.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
GOTHITELLE I LOVE GOTHITELLE, tagging Creator of Chaos since he loves Goth as well.

Gothitelle (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Personally this is my favourite set for Gothitelle. I'm using it on a Lopunny+Gothitelle team right now, with a Manaphy since Gothitelle provides the utility of eliminating things that Lopunny and Manaphy hate (i'm running energy ball, so) Slowbro, Mega Venusaur, Skarmory, bulky Grasses and Dragons. EVs allow it to outspeed uninvested Mega Scizor (whilst making way for hp fire), max spatk for power, and rest in HP as a dump.
No, torment is so gimmicky on Gothitelle and just oozes cancer oml.

SketchUp

I'm not really a big fan of Specs Gothitelle with 3 Atks + Trick. I rather prefer Trick + Rest to stay healthy and stall out pokemon like Chansey much easier. I've used Trick + 3 Attacks once but Scarf > Specs in my opinion because you can revengekill pokemon like Keldeo much easier. If you use Specs you first need to tank a Specs Scald which does like 60%. Trick / Psychic / HP Fire / Rest or Thunderbolt is a pretty cool set that can revenge kill many pokemon reliable while also trapping Chansey, Clefable, Quagsire and Skarmory

Gothitelle is a good trapper for offensively inclined teams due to being able to trap walls that aren't steel type, unlike Magnezone. As mentioned before, it can take away Chansey's Eviolite, which makes her a lot easier to take out. Goth can also beat Venusaur due to having a super effective STAB Psychic/Psyshock. Specs Psychic OHKOs after SR and can even do so without it, while Psyshock 2HKOs even pdef variants. It also can handle Skarmory with Thunderbolt, and can even run HP Ground to handle Heatran, which Magnezone struggles with. (For what it's worth, it can now be female with Trick+Shadow Tag, too.)

As for more defensive teams, Goth can still trap, but is mainly only good for stallbreaking, as stall mons are really annoying for other defensive teams to face. If your defensive team needs a trapper for offensive mons, Wobbuffet generally does that better, especially if said offensive mons are choice users.

Mega Tyranitar is a decent bulky DD user, but is kinda meh, mainly due to being a mega. I probably wouldn't use it unless your team doesn't have a mega otherwise.

DD M-Tyranitar isn´t that good anymore because of the introduction of M-Altaria and M-Gyarados, which both outclass him as DDancers and also been slower than M-Lopunny at +1, but i found a set that could work in the current metagame.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Ice Punch
- Crunch / Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Super Power​

Rock Polish allows M-Tyranitar to become a great cleaner due to his good bulk and his high attack stat. Ice Punch is mandatory for Lando-T, Gliscor and dragon Types. Crunch it´s a reliable stab but Stone Edge is stronger and hits faires better. Finally EQ is a good coverage move but super power is stronger and hits ferro and ballon 'mons, the down side is that it reduces M-Ttar bulk and power.
I haven´t tried out this it yet, but i must say that it looks good on paper.
I will love to hear (or read) your thoughts about the set :]

DD M-Tyranitar isn´t that good anymore because of the introduction of M-Altaria and M-Gyarados, which both outclass him as DDancers and also been slower than M-Lopunny at +1, but i found a set that could work in the current metagame.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Ice Punch
- Crunch / Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Super Power​

Rock Polish allows M-Tyranitar to become a great cleaner due to his good bulk and his high attack stat. Ice Punch is mandatory for Lando-T, Gliscor and dragon Types. Crunch it´s a reliable stab but Stone Edge is stronger and hits faires better. Finally EQ is a good coverage move but super power is stronger and hits ferro and ballon 'mons, the down side is that it reduces M-Ttar bulk and power.
I haven´t tried out this it yet, but i must say that it looks good on paper.
I will love to hear (or read) your thoughts about the set :]
I mean, rock polish set's already been found ;c But the set is a great set. I'd run Crunch, Stone Edge/EQ and Superpower/Ice Punch. n_n

Thanks for the tag Nostalgia and yes....I do love Gothitelle lol. Definatly my favourite psychic in ORAS. Seriously why she is not used more is kinda bewildering considering both her specs and scarf sets can be tailored to kill whatever your team has trouble with. Her ability to pick and choose what dies be it offensive or defensive is a rare trait in the post greninja metagame that few other pokemon have. Thanks to shadow tag you dont have to rely on lures or prediction to kill annoying bulky pokemon you literally slap her down and bam the problem is gone. Goth also benefits greatly from Volt/Turn/Pass support as it lets her switch in safely and lets her scout items such as shed shell so teams with scizor, Rotom and lando are perfect fits for her as they also deal with problems like T-Tar or Bisharp

She does have flaws tho such as Being item reliant to fix lackluster stats and her match up vs offensive teams is questionable but even so her presence on the team preview screen is enough to panic players using defensive cores or fighting typed pokemon who will often make stupid decision fearing her switching in.

Checkmate (Gothitelle) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

This my set bulky specs which I feel is superior to trick scarf in that you dont need rely on calm mind or rest stalling to kill a pokemon and can 2hko basically any target with the right coverage short of a fairy type, mega metagross and Pink blobs. Psychic is stab. Shadowball wrecks pixie mons like mew and T-Bolt hits slowbro/skarm tho. The Speed EVs are to outpace rest talk Gyarados and is honestly the max specs goth should try to outpace anyway as anything else is either naturally to fast thus requiring a scarf or will just outcreep you anyway. While the set is similar to nostalgias its match up vs bulky psychics is far better and seriously there is nothing like killing a mew and paving the way for lopunny to clean up.

As for other sets. Scarf Varients are definatly viable and work as well as specs depending on the team and 4 attacks Goth is a big headache for balance but loses out vs fairies and blobs due to lack of trick. Gimmicks like Torment, Foul play and charm Goth should be avoided tho. All 3 are 1 trick pony sets that while great when they go off rarely is ever fufill there desired role meaning dead weight most of the time. Torment/taunt can be played around by offensive play. Foul play on goth is just bad alltogethor and charm is way to easily revenged. If your gonna use Goth stick with choice items as thats what works best

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Foul Play Gothitelle is fine with a scarf tbh, and can cripple things like Mega gross and gallade quite a bit (ohkos gallade at +2) Also don't use trick+taunt+rest gothitelle. Like ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)