Old Gens BW Volcarona

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Volcarona @ Bug Gem
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

One of the faces of hyper offense, Volcarona is a terrifying sweeper in BW thanks to its power, Speed, and ability to tailor its coverage to win just about any matchup. At +1, it has the power to blast through many Pokemon that are popular on sand teams, and with a Bug Gem equipped, it has the potential to OHKO specially defensive Tyranitar and blow back other bulky Pokemon such as Rotom-W. The Special Defense boost can also come in handy, allowing it to tank hits from revenge killers such as Choice Scarf Latios and possibly survive attacks from some Keldeo variants from full HP. Volcarona greatly appreciates Rapid Spin support from Pokemon such as Starmie and Excadrill to mitigate its crippling Stealth Rock weakness. Entry hazard support from Pokemon like Garchomp and Landorus-T to secure KOs against Tyranitar, Rotom-W, and Politoed is also extremely helpful. Volcarona can be found on teams of all weathers and archetypes, but it is most commonly found on variants of hyper offense where it can overwhelm opponents in conjunction with other setup sweepers such as Dragonite and Garchomp.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
fire blast should rly be front-slashed, but that aside:

The one type of support you're almost guaranteed to see alongside Volcarona is Rapid Spin from Pokemon such as Starmie or Excadrill to mitigate its crippling Stealth Rock weakness.
It also appreciates hazard support for the Bug Gem KOs vs Tyranitar, Rotom-Wash, and Politoed.
Volcarona can be found on teams of all weathers and archetypes, but is most commonly found on variants of Smurf. hyper offense, containing Breloom, Scizor, Garchomp, Starmie, and Dragonite.
I would not limit it just to Smurf; I would talk about HO in general and how it does well when paired with other set-up sweepers rather than defining it by a single team.

rest is fine 1/1

deetah

Delicate as silk
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments

GP 1/1

Ganyu_Stamp.gif

Volcarona @ Bug Gem
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast Fire Blast / Flamethrower (Finch wanted Fire Blast front-slashed from what I can tell)
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

One of the faces of hyper offense, Volcarona is a terrifying sweeper in BW thanks to its power, Speed, and ability to tailor its coverage to beat win just about any matchup. At +1, it has the power to blast through many Pokemon that are popular on sand teams, and with a Bug Gem equipped, it has the potential to OHKO specially defensive Tyranitar and blow back other bulky Pokemon such as Rotom-W. The Special Defense boost can also come in handy, allowing it to tank hits from revenge killers such as Choice Scarf Latios and even has a chance to possibly survive attacks from some Keldeo at variants from full HP. The one type of support you're almost guaranteed to see alongside Volcarona is Volcarona greatly appreciates Rapid Spin support from Pokemon such as Starmie or and Excadrill to mitigate its crippling Stealth Rock weakness. (Period) but it also appreciates Entry hazard support (Might be good to give some examples here) to secure KOs against Tyranitar, Rotom-W, and Politoed is also extremely helpful. Volcarona can be found on teams of all weathers and archetypes, but it is most commonly found on variants of hyper offense where it can overwhelm opponents in conjunction with other setup sweepers such as Dragonite and Garchomp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)