Camerupt

Luck O' the Irish

banned in dc
is a Tiering Contributor

[OVERVIEW]

Camerupt holds a firm niche in the tier thanks to its defensive typing, which allows it to counter Rotom, a massive and common threat in the metagame, and absorb Will-O-Wisp. With decent bulk when invested, it is also a solid user of Stealth Rock, making it a good support option for balanced teams. Its excellent STAB coverage and powerful Fire Blast when equipped with Choice Specs make it a potent offensive threat as well. However, its low Speed means it is very susceptible to being forced out or revenge killed, and it often has to hit its checks with coverage moves on predicted switches, as Camerupt is often slower than various defensive Pokemon. Camerupt can easily become setup bait for various Water-types, as defensive sets will fail to do enough damage to Samurott or Ludicolo, while offensive sets may find themselves Choice locked into the wrong move. Finally, Camerupt faces competition from other Pokemon, such as Steelix, which sports more useful resistances as a bulky Stealth Rock setter, and other offensive Fire-types such as Charizard, Magmortar, and Pyroar, all of which are faster and have either greater coverage, more versatility, or more support options.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Lava Plume
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
item: Leftovers
ability: Solid Rock
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock is essential for every competitive team, and Camerupt can provide it thanks to its typing that allows it to beat Pokemon such as Weezing and Rotom, to which nearly every Stealth Rock user in the tier loses. Lava Plume is the main STAB move on this set thanks to its chance to burn foes, which is more useful on a defensive set, potentially allowing Camerupt to cripple Thick Fat Hariyama and bulky Rock-type switch-ins such as Rhydon. It also helps prevent Xatu from trying to bounce back Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce, as a burn drastically decreases its longevity. Earthquake hits Pokemon that resist Fire such as Lanturn and bulky Rock-types. Earthquake is preferred over Earth Power because Camerupt will often be taking on Magmortar, which takes much more damage from physical attacks. Toxic and Will-O-Wisp are both useful for wearing down bulkier switch-ins. Toxic is preferred because it wears down Mantine and Pelipper more quickly while also not being completely useless against Charizard. It is also useful for crippling Calm Mind Musharna, even though it comes at the cost of poisoning Camerupt too. Will-O-Wisp is still useful if crippling Thick Fat Hariyama and Rhydon is more important for your team. Rock Slide can have use in the last slot if your team is very weak to Charizard, as it allows Camerupt to defeat it with much more ease.

Set Details
========

Maximum special bulk is necessary so that Camerupt can tank hits from the likes of Rotom, Mismagius, Magmortar, and other special attackers and set up Stealth Rock or retaliate appropriately. Leftovers is important so that Camerupt doesn't get worn down too quickly over the course of the match. Solid Rock allows Camerupt to take various super effective hits, such as non-STAB Earthquake from the likes of Tauros and Archeops, and potentially set up Stealth Rock or put the foe in range of a revenge killer. An offensive Stealth Rock set with an EV spread of 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe is viable if you specifically need both Stealth Rock and Camerupt's wallbreaking ability. In this case, Hidden Power Electric is preferred in the last slot, as it does heavy damage to Mantine and Pelipper and can deter them from trying to come in immediately to Defog away Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Use Camerupt's ability to come in on Rotom, Weezing, Mismagius, Garbodor, and bulky Grass-types to set up Stealth Rock. Using status moves on predicted Mantine and Pelipper switch-ins is often very beneficial, as it will be difficult for them to continuously use Defog over the course of the match. Likewise, if you have Will-O-Wisp on Camerupt, it can be very useful for your team to opt for this move on the switch to cripple an incoming Thick Fat Hariyama or Rhydon. Although defensive Camerupt does not hit very hard, it can also be more beneficial for your team to fish for Lava Plume burns or hit Lanturn switch-ins with Camerupt's Earthquake, depending on the circumstance.

Team Options
========

Camerupt pairs well with sweepers that dislike Rotom's presence in general, as a large draw to using Stealth Rock Camerupt is because it is one of few Stealth Rock setters in the tier that don't lose to Rotom. Barbaracle in particular likes Camerupt as a partner, as Stealth Rock helps Barbaracle clean, and Camerupt helps Barbaracle deal with Rotom and Gourgeist, with the former giving it a very difficult time in the early- and mid-game and the latter being a hard counter. Scyther also appreciates defensive Camerupt, as its bulk allows it to stay around longer to come in on Scyther's checks and counters. Fighting-types such as Primeape and Hitmonchan pair well with Camerupt, as it beats a lot of their checks one-on-one, including Rotom, Gourgeist, Weezing, and Garbodor, and provides Stealth Rock, which helps them break past their counters. Xatu must also risk taking a Lava Plume burn and damage if it wants to try to reflect Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce, meaning it won't be able to check Fighting-types for the opposing team. Strong checks to Water-types are necessary on the same team thanks to Camerupt's weakness to them.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Lava Plume
move 4: Hidden Power Electric
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast is a powerful STAB move that at least 2HKOes pretty much everything that doesn't resist it. Earth Power is a great secondary STAB move that hits bulky Rock-types, other Fire-types, and Lanturn super effectively while hitting other Water-types hard. Lava Plume is the most spammable move on the set in part because of its perfect accuracy, which can be useful when Camerupt doesn't need Fire Blast's power, as well as its chance to burn foes, which can cripple certain counters. Hidden Power Electric 2HKOes Mantine, which otherwise hard counters Camerupt. It also deals with Charizard, which resists Camerupt's STAB moves.

Set Details
========

Choice Specs, a Modest nature, and 252 Special Attack EVs allow Camerupt to hit as hard as possible. The Speed EVs allow Camerupt to outspeed Gourgeist-XL. It also ensures that Camerupt will be able to outspeed uninvested base 50 Speed Pokemon even if they run some Speed creep EVs. The rest of the EVs go into HP to help it tank various attacks. Solid Rock allows Camerupt to survive various super effective attacks, such as Earthquake, that would otherwise OHKO it.

Usage Tips
========

Bulky Rotom, Weezing, and Garbodor are all common threats that Camerupt can easily switch in on. Don't be afraid to double switch to punish these Pokemon for switching in. Utilizing slow Volt Switch and U-turn users can also be effective in bringing Camerupt onto the field safely. Once Camerupt hits the field, proceed to annihilate the opposing team by clicking the appropriate coverage move. Lava Plume is generally the safest play to make, such as when the opponent has Hariyama or has absolutely nothing to take Camerupt's attacks. It is also useful for scouting switch-ins and burning counters. Use Earth Power when you predict your opponent to go into Lanturn or a bulky Rock-type, but be mindful that being Choice locked into the move can be risky due to it not hitting Levitate users and Flying-types. When it looks like your opponent's best switch-in to Camerupt is a bulky Pokemon that doesn't resist Fire such as Musharna or Audino, use Fire Blast. Use Hidden Power Electric to catch Mantine on the switch, but beware that Camerupt becomes very exploitable if it locks itself into the move.

Team Options
========

Scyther can get Camerupt into the battle easily thanks to U-turn. Camerupt also has a very good matchup against most Scyther checks, which include Steelix, Rotom, Weezing, Garbodor, and Rhydon. Bulky Grass-types such Vileplume and Ferroseed deal with Water-types that threaten Camerupt, a lot of which, such as Samurott, Kabutops, and Barbaracle can freely set up on Camerupt locked into a Fire-type move. Electric-types such as Lanturn and Rotom can help Camerupt deal with Mantine. They can also use Volt Switch to get Camerupt onto the field. On the flip side, pairing Camerupt with late-game cleaners in general is beneficial to take advantage of the mess that Camerupt makes of the opposing team. Both physical and special Sceptile, two notable sets capable of cleaning late-game, work well with Camerupt. Special Sceptile helps with wearing down Hariyama, while physical Sceptile appreciates Camerupt's ability to switch into and destroy Weezing. Likewise, Pokemon such as Swords Dance Samurott and other sweepers that are walled by Mantine and Pelipper appreciate Camerupt's ability to lure them in and weaken them with Hidden Power Electric.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Rock Polish can be used to make Camerupt a late game sweeper, as it can find plenty of setup opportunities, but its lower bulk than Rhydon and inability to tank priority moves, means there are better options for cleaners. On defensive sets, Camerupt can make use of Roar or Yawn in the last slot to phaze foes and rack up entry hazard damage, but generally speaking it is better off spreading as much status as possible.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Water-types**: Mantine and Pelipper in particular resist or are immune to Camerupt's STAB moves and can KO it with Scald or Defog away the Stealth Rock it sets up. Pelipper needs a specially defensive spread or it gets 2HKOed by Fire Blast, however. Both must also beware of Hidden Power Electric. Other Water-types such as Samurott, Kabutops, and Ludicolo can all switch in and force out Camerupt unless they come in on the wrong STAB move. These three Water-types, along with Barbaracle, can all set up on Camerupt if it's locked into the wrong STAB move.

**Dragon-types**: Even offensive variants of Altaria and Sliggoo can switch in on Camerupt and retaliate with a powerful Draco Meteor or Muddy Water, respectively. Fire Blast nearly 2HKOes Altaria, so it needs Stealth Rock off the field in order to switch in safely. Defensive Sliggoo is the best answer to Camerupt in NU, as it takes a pittance from Fire Blast, is only 3HKOed by Choice Specs Earth Power, and it has Rest to heal off a potential Toxic.

**Faster Wallbreakers**: Pokemon like Choice Band Sawk, Choice Specs Aurorus, and maximum Attack variants of Abomasnow can revenge kill Camerupt, although they can't switch into it. Non-STAB Earthquake users such as Archeops, Kangaskhan, and Tauros must also be careful, as Camerupt's Solid Rock allows it to take their Earthquakes from full health.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers** Malamar and RestTalk Mega Audino set up easily on defensive Camerupt and can set up on the Choice Specs set if it is locked into Hidden Power Electric. They should avoid switching into Choice Specs variants, however, as Fire Blast 2HKOes both of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
just kinda skimmed this, but I wanted to get your thoughts on a Specially Defensive set. So far that's the only Camerupt set I've used and to be honest it's the only one I'd consider using on most teams.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
just kinda skimmed this, but I wanted to get your thoughts on a Specially Defensive set. So far that's the only Camerupt set I've used and to be honest it's the only one I'd consider using on most teams.
I wouldn't discredit the sets he already has in place; Camerupt's typing alone seems sufficient to hardcheck things like Weezing, Garbodor, and Rotom as is, and the only real change in matchup for max SpD Rupt is against non-EQ Magmortar, though its matchup against Xatu becomes slightly less smooth. SpD Rupt could be listed as an alternative or even main spread on the Offensive SR set, though it'd have to be renamed to just 'Stealth Rock' in that case.

Btw Luck O' the Irish, the 116 Speed investment is for Gourgeist-Super, not uninvested base 55s.

Luck O' the Irish

banned in dc
is a Tiering Contributor
I'll make more changes to this over the weekend I've been busy as shit this week

Kiyo Punchshroom ive used specs the most and gotten great results, even with mantine in the tier it's still really hard to switch into and pairs super well with flying types like scyther and archeops since it can switch in really easily on most of their checks (especially since weezing, rotom, and garbodor are super common, steelix too since it's not gonna eq probably) and nuke them. That said after playing around with offensive rocks I think sp def would probably be better since camerupt just hasn't been as bulky as I'd like it to be, I'll just make sp def the main set and put offensive in set options. I'll also fix the bit with camerupts speed later, I guess I just calculated something wrong on ps

bolts edit: agree with replacing offensive rocks with spdef set, go ahead with that

Overview

Mention how the low speed coupled with its x4 Water weakness means even bulky Water-types outspeed and force Camerupt to predict their switch in to deal significant damage.

Choice Specs

Remove Ancient Power from moves and leave it out of OO as well. SpDef Altaria takes very little from it to begin with and after that it Roosts off the damage, stalling out Ancient Power. The coverage HP Electric provides is much more useful. In set details make a sentence about Solid Rock.

Stealth Rock

With a specially defensive spread Camerupt would rather use Earthquake because it hits Lanturn and Magmortar harder while Earth Power doesn't really hit any notable targets. Also switch the nature to Sassy as well. Creeping Rhydon isn't super benefical when Earth Power doesn't kill while Rhydon OHKOes in return meaning Canerupt has to get some sort of prior damage on it anyways. Same thing as the first set, but also mention Solid Rock in set details and Leftovers as well.

Checks and Counters

Just lump Mantine and Pelipper with the rest of the Water-types and mention those two before the rest. Make sure to also put Altaria listed after Water-types because it's not very common.

solid work 1/3

in usage tips for specs camel mention how that while its bulk is fine it can easily get worn down and hence has issues repeatedly switching into attacks like rotoms shadow ball

mention mons that appreciate manine/peli lured by hp electric like sd samu in specs team options and mention water-checks in team options for spdef

qc 2/3 when implemented, looks good

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Luck O' the Irish Please write this up soon, its been almost 2 weeks since you last edited the OP.

Couple things:

It's probably worth noting in the overview that Camerupt is pretty much the hardest counter to Rotom in the tier, and given that it is an S rank threat it's reasonable to single it out like this.
I'd consider moving the Specially Defensive set first since it checks the mons its supposed to more reliably but I'm not too picky on set order.
Ancientpower is probably much better in this meta to prevent Charizard from getting a free switch in / setup opportunity, I'd probably slash it after HP Electric.

Luck O' the Irish

banned in dc
is a Tiering Contributor
I've started writing this up, but mainly posting because I want to hear opinions on running rock slide on defensive camerupt since zard pretty much comes in easily on any of its other options. Yeah stealth rock makes it lose half its health but it can come in as you set up rocks and fire off attacks for free otherwise. I have it listed as the third slash on the last slot as of right now.

Last edited:
Luck O' the Irish i actually like the set rn and could get behind rock slide getting slashed after sr. i dont really like spdef camel as a rocker and i feel that being an answer to specs zard that isnt necessarily poor against physical/mixed sets is p huge and agree w ur decidion on rock slide being there

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree in that Rock Slide could be good in this meta, but what does it really hit other than Charizard? Archeops on the switch I guess? Either way it's not important enough to slash with Stealth Rock as that's presumably why you're using Camerupt as a SpD mon over something like Mega Audino, and I personally wouldn't slash it with the status options as Camerupt excels as a status platform, burning things, preventing Fire-types from absorbing burns by using its Ground-STAB, no Steel- or Poison-type is ever going to try and switch in to block Toxic. Imo Rock Slide should be deslashed from both slots and be given a mention in moves for dealing with Charizard, but even then Toxic is still decent against it, and we don't know whether Charizard is going to be super-common enough to necessitate running it yet.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, this looks good to me. Unless anyone has any further objections I think this is ready. Just make sure to give this a check-over for sentence structure before making this ready for GP.

QC 3/3

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have a few comments to make, but this looks good overall.

SpDef
Rock Slide can have use in the last slot if your team is very Charizard-weak, as it turns Camerupt from being fodder to a hard check.
SpDef Camerupt already handles Charizard pretty well with Toxic, its certainly not fodder, running Rock Slide is just a quick way of disposing of Charizard. In addition, note that Toxic cripples Calm Mind Musharna.

In team options please add a sentence talking about reliable checks to Water-type Pokemon as they are pretty much necessary partners.

Specs

Mention that HP Electric also hits Charizard.
A timid nature and maximum speed investment can be useful to outspeed Lanturn and Mantine to net some surprise kills; however, these scenarios generally aren't common enough to warrant the loss of power and bulk that comes with it.
Axe this sentence, I strongly feel that Timid isn't even worth mentioning on Specs Camerupt.

C&C

Remove the point about HP Ice in the section for Altaria since its not mentioned anywhere on the analysis. Actually, change this section to Dragon-types since Sliggoo is also a hard counter to Camerupt, being able to set up curses on it for free or OHKOing it with Muddy Water from the offensive set.

The last section is a bit too vague, I'd rather it be renamed to "Wallbreakers"; remove Sceptile as it isnt a great example since it needs a fair amount of damage (30%) for LO Leaf Storm to kill while it is nearly KOed in return by Lava Plume. Other wallbreakers that could be mentioned include Kangaskhan, Abomasnow (EQ from max attack SD sets has a high chance to kill), etc.

You'll probably need to add another section for this, but bulky setup sweepers like Malamar, Musharna, and Mega Audino all can use Camerupt as setup fodder given the right scenario. Malamar uses the defensive set as complete fodder or the Choice Specs set locked into HP Electric, Musharna only fears Toxic, and Rest Talk variants of Mega Audino walk all over Camerupt.

After these changes are implemented, please post a link to this thread here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/grammar-prose-team-queue-here-we-go-again.3489979/

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
[OVERVIEW]

Camerupt holds a firm niche in the tier thanks to its defensive typing, (AC) which allows it to counter Rotom, a massive and common threat and in the tier metagame, (repetition) and absorb Will-O-Wisp. With decent bulk when invested, it makes is also (repetition) a solid user of Stealth Rock as well, making it a good support option for balanced teams. Its excellent stab STAB coverage and powerful Fire Blast when equipped with Choice Specs make it a potent offensive threat as well. However, its low speed Speed means it is very susceptible to being forced out or revenge killed, and it often has to hit its counters checks (If they were counters, it couldn't even hit them with coverage moves) with coverage moves on predicted switchins switches, as Camerupt is often slower than various defensive pokemon Pokemon. Camerupt can easily become set-(RH)up bait for various water Water-types, as defensive sets will fail to do enough damage to Samurott or Ludicolo, while Offensive offensive sets may find themselves choiced-locked Choice locked into the wrong move. Finally, Camerupt faces competition from other pokemon Pokemon, such as Steelix in the role of bulky Stealth Rock setter, which sports more useful resistances for a bulky Stealth Rock setter, or and other Offensive offensive Fire-types Types such as Charizard, Magmortar, and Pyroar, all of which are faster and have either greater coverage, more versatility, or more support options.

[SET]
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock is essential for every competitive team, and Camerupt can fulfill this role provide it thanks to its typing that allows it to beat pokemon Pokemon such as Weezing and Rotom, to which nearly every rocker Stealth Rock setter in the tier loses to. Lava Plume is the main STAB move on this set thanks to its chance to burn opponents foes, which is more (You're not comparing it to anything) useful on a defensive set. This chance allows it to potentially cripple Thick Fat Hariyama or and bulky rock Rock-type switches switch-ins such as Rhydon. It also helps prevent Xatu from trying to Magic Bounce bounce back Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce, as a burn drastically decreases Xatu's survivability longevity. Earthquake hits various fire resists Pokemon that resist Fire such as Lanturn and bulky rock Rock-types. Earthquake is preferred over Earth Power because Camerupt will often be taking on Magmortar, which takes much more damage from physically based attacks. Toxic and Will-O-Wisp are both useful for wearing down bulkier switch-(AH)ins. Toxic is preferred because it wears down at Mantine and Pelipper more quickly while also not being completely useless against Charizard. It is also useful for crippling Calm Mind Musharna, even though it comes at the cost of poisoning yourself Camerupt too. Will-O-Wisp is still useful if crippling Thick Fat Hariyama and Rhydon are is more important for your team. Rock Slide can have use in the last slot if your team is very Charizard-weak to Charizard, as it allows Camerupt to defeat Charizard with much more ease.

Set Details
========

Maximum special bulk is necessary so that Camerupt can tank hits from the likes of Rotom, Mismagius, Magmortar, (AC) and other special attackers so it can in order to (repetition) set up Stealth Rock or retaliate appropriately. Leftovers is important so that Camerupt doesn't get worn down too quickly over the course of the match. Solid Rock is the ability of choice as it allows Camerupt to take various super(space)effective hits, such as non-STAB Earthquakes from the likes of Tauros and Archeops, (AC) and potentially set up rocks Stealth Rock or put them the foe in range of a revenge killer. An offensive Stealth Rock set (using the same spread as the Specs set below) with an EV spread of 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe (don't cross-reference) is viable if you specifically need both Stealth Rock and Camerupt's wallbreaking ability. Using In this case, Hidden Power Electric is preferred in the last slot, (AC) as it does heavy damage to Mantine and Pelipper and can deter them from trying to come in immediately to Defog away rocks Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Use Camerupt's ability to come in on Rotom, Weezing, Mismagius, Garbodor, and bulky grasses Grass-types to set up stealth rock Stealth Rock. Using status moves on predicted Mantine and Pelipper Switchins switch-ins is often very beneficial, as it will be difficult for them to continuously use Defog over the course of the match. Likewise, if you have Will-O-Wisp on Camerupt, it can be very useful for your team to opt for this move on the switch to cripple an incoming Thick Fat Hariyama or Rhydon. Although defensive camerupt Camerupt does not hit very hard, it can also be more beneficial for your team that you to fish for lava plume Lava Plume burns or hit Lanturn switch-(AH)ins with your ground STAB Camerupt's Earthquake, depending on the circumstance.

Team Options
========

Camerupt pairs well with sweepers that dislike Rotom's presence in general, as a large draw to use using Stealth Rock Camerupt is because that it is one of few stealth rockers Stealth Rock setters in the tier that doesn't lose to Rotom-n. . Barbaracle in particular likes Camerupt as a partner, as Stealth Rock helps Barbaracle clean, and Camerupt helps Barbaracle deal with Rotom and Gourgeist, (which one?) with the former giving it a very difficult time in the early-(AH) and mid-game and the latter being a hard counter. Scyther also appreciates even a weaker version of defensive Camerupt, as its bulk allows it to stay around longer to come in on Scyther's checks and counters. Fighting-types Types such as Sawk and Gurdurr appreciate enjoy (repetition) Camerupt, (AC) as it beats a lot of fighting Fighting-type checks 1-v-1 one-on-one, including Rotom, Gourgeist, (which one?) Weezing, and Garbodor, and provides Stealth Rock, (AC) which helps the fighting Fighting-types break past their counters. Xatu must also risk taking a Lava Plume burn and damage if it wants to try to magic bounce rocks reflect Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce, meaning it wouldn't won't be able to check fighting Fighting-types for the opposing team. Strong checks to Water-(AH)types are necessary on the same team thanks due to Camerupt's weakness to them.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast is a powerful stab STAB move that at least 2HKOes pretty much everything that doesn't resist it. Earth Power is a great secondary stab STAB move that hits bulky rock Rock-types, other fire Fire-types, and Lanturn super-(RH) effectively while hitting other water Water-types hard. Lava Plume is the most spammable move on the set in part because of its perfect accuracy, which can be useful when Camerupt doesn't need fire blast's Fire Blast's power, and because of Lava Plume's as well as its chance to burn opponents foes, which can potentially cripple certain counters. Hidden Power Electric 2HKO's 2HKOes Mantine, which otherwise hard counters Camerupt. It also deals with Charizard, which resists Camerupt's stab STAB moves.

Set Details
========

Choice Specs, a Modest nature, and 252 special attack Special Attack EVs allow Camerupt to hit as hard as possible. The Speed EVs allow Camerupt to outspeed Gourgeist-XL. It also ensures that Camerupt will be able to outspeed defensive uninvested (right?) base 50's Speed Pokemon even if they run some speed Speed creep EVs. The rest of the EVs go into HP to help it tank various attacks. Solid Rock is Camerupt's most useful ability, as it allows it Camerupt to survive various super-(RH) effective attacks, such as earthquake Earthquake, that would otherwise OHKO it.

Usage Tips
========

Bulky Rotom, Weezing, and Garbodor are all common threats that Camerupt can easily switch in on. Don't be afraid to double switch to punish these pokemon Pokemon for switching in. Using Utilizing slow Volt Switch and U-Turn U-turn users can also be effective in bringing Camerupt onto the field safely. Once Camerupt hits the field, proceed to annihilate the opposing team by clicking the appropriate coverage move. Lava plume Plume is generally the safest play to make, such as when the opponent has a Hariyama or has literally absolutely nothing to take Camerupt's attacks. It is also useful for scouting switch-ins and burning counters. Use earth power Earth Power when you predict your opponent to go into Lanturn or a bulky rock Rock-type, but be mindful that being choice Choice locked into the move ground stab can be riskier risky (You're not really comparing it to Lava Plume here) due to it not hitting levitate mons Levitate users and flying Flying-types. When it looks like your opponent's best switch-in to Camerupt is a bulky non-fire resist Pokemon that doesn't resist Fire such as Musharna or Audino, use Fire Blast. Use Hidden Power Electric to catch Mantine on the switch, but beware that Camerupt becomes very exploitable if it locks itself into Hidden Power the move.

Team Options
========

Scyther can get Camerupt into the game battle easily thanks to U-turn. Camerupt also has a very good matchup against most Scyther checks, which include Steelix, Rotom, Weezing, Garbodor, and Rhydon. Bulky grass Grass-types such Vileplume and Ferroseed deal with water Water-types that threaten out Camerupt. This can also be important, (AC) as a lot of water Water-types, such as Samurott, Kabutops, and Barbaracle, (AC) can get freely set up from on Camerupt locked into a fire Fire-type move. Electric-(AH)types such as Lanturn and Rotom can help Camerupt deal with Mantine. They can also use Volt Switch to get Camerupt onto the field. On the flip side, pairing Camerupt with Late late-game cleaners in general is beneficial to take advantage of the mess that Camerupt makes of the opposing team. Both physical and special Sceptile, two notable sets capable of cleaning late-(AH)game, work well with Camerupt. Special Sceptile helps with wearing down Hariyama, while physical Sceptile appreciates Camerupt's ability to switch into and destroy Weezing. Likewise, Pokemon such as Sword'(remove apostrophe)s Dance Samurott (and other sweepers that are walled by Mantine and Pelipper) appreciate Camerupt's ability to lure them in and weaken these them with Hidden Power Electric.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Rock Polish can potentially be used as to make Camerupt a late-(AH)game sweeper, as since it has can find plenty of set up opportunities, but its lower bulk and inability to tank priority moves, particularly aqua jet Aqua Jet, like Rhydon can means there are better options for cleaners. On defensive sets, Camerupt can make use of Roar or Yawn in the last slot to phaze opponents foes and rack up entry hazard damage, but generally speaking it is better off spreading as much status as possible.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Water-(AH)types**: Mantine and Pelipper in particular resist/ or are immune to Camerupt's stabs STAB moves and can KO Camerupt it with scald Scald or defog Defog away stealth rock the Stealth Rock it set up. Pelipper needs a specially defensive spread or it gets 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Fire Blast, however. Both must also beware of Hidden Power Electric. Other water Water-types such as Samurott, Kabutops, and Ludicolo can all switch in unless they come in on the wrong stab move and force Camerupt out unless they come in on the wrong STAB move. These three waters Water-types, along with Barbaracle, can all set up on Camerupt if it's locked into the wrong stab STAB move.

**Dragon-types Types**: Even Offensive offensive variants of Altaria and Sliggoo can switch in on Camerupt and retaliate with a powerful Draco Meteor or Muddy Water, respectively. Fire Blast nearly 2HKO's 2HKOes Altaria, (AC) so it needs rocks Stealth Rock off the field in order to switch in safely. Defensive Sliggoo is the best answer to Camerupt in NU, (AC) as it takes a pittance from Fire Blast and is only 3HKOed by Choice Specs Earth Power, and it has Rest to heal off a potential Toxic.

**Faster Wallbreakers**: stuff Pokemon like Choice Banded Sawk, Choice Specs Aurorus, and Max maximum Attack variants of Abomasnow and can revenge kill Camerupt, although they can't switch into it. Non-stab Non-STAB Earthquake users such as Archeops, Kangaskhan, and Tauros must also be careful however, as Camerupt's solid rock Solid Rock allows it to take their Earthquake'(remove apostrophe)s from full health.

**Bulky Setup Up Sweepers** Malamar and Rest/Talk Mega Audino set up easily on Defensive defensive Camerupt and can set up on the Choice Specs set it if it is locked into Hidden Power Electric. They should avoid switching into specs Choice Specs variants, however, as Fire Blast 2HKO's 2HKOes both of them.
GP 1/2

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
implement with reply button please (delete the reds, address the comments, and deformat the blues using the Tx button in the upper left corner)

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Camerupt holds a firm niche in the tier thanks to its defensive typing, which allows it to counter Rotom, a massive and common threat in the metagame, (AC) and absorb Will-O-Wisp. With decent bulk when invested, it is also a solid user of Stealth Rock, making it a good support option for balanced teams. Its excellent STAB coverage and powerful Fire Blast when equipped with Choice Specs make it a potent offensive threat as well. However, its low Speed means it is very susceptible to being forced out or revenge killed, and it often has to hit its checks with coverage moves on predicted switches, as Camerupt is often slower than various defensive Pokemon. Camerupt can easily become set up setup bait for various Water-types, as defensive sets will fail to do enough damage to Samurott or Ludicolo, while offensive sets may find themselves Choiced Choice locked into the wrong move. Finally, Camerupt faces competition from other Pokemon, such as Steelix, which sports more useful resistances as a bulky Stealth Rock setter, and other offensive Fire Types Fire-types such as Charizard, Magmortar, and Pyroar, all of which are faster and have either greater coverage, more versatility, or more support options.

[SET]
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock is essential for every competitive team, and Camerupt can provide it thanks to its typing that allows it to beat Pokemon such as Weezing and Rotom, to which nearly every Stealth Rock user in the tier loses. Lava Plume is the main STAB move on this set thanks to its chance to burn foes, which is more useful on a defensive set, (comma) This chance allows it to potentially allowing Camerupt to cripple Thick Fat Hariyama and bulky Rock-type switch-ins such as Rhydon. It also helps prevent Xatu from trying to bounce back Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce, as a burn drastically decreases Xatu's its longevity. Earthquake hits Pokemon that resist Fire such as Lanturn and bulky Rock-types. Earthquake is preferred over Earth Power because Camerupt will often be taking on Magmortar, which takes much more damage from physical attacks. Toxic and Will-O-Wisp are both useful for wearing down bulkier switch-ins. Toxic is preferred because it wears down Mantine and Pelipper more quickly while also not being completely useless against Charizard. It is also useful for crippling Calm Mind Musharna, even though it comes at the cost of poisoning Camerupt too. Will-O-Wisp is still useful if crippling Thick Fat Hariyama and Rhydon is more important for your team. Rock Slide can have use in the last slot if your team is very weak to Charizard, as it allows Camerupt to defeat Charizard it with much more ease.

Set Details
========

Maximum special bulk is necessary so that Camerupt can tank hits from the likes of Rotom, Mismagius, Magmortar, and other special attackers so it can and set up Stealth Rock or retaliate appropriately. Leftovers is important so that Camerupt doesn't get worn down too quickly over the course of the match. Solid Rock allows Camerupt to take various super effective hits, such as non-STAB Earthquake from the likes of Tauros and Archeops, and potentially set up Stealth Rock or put the foe in range of a revenge killer. An offensive Stealth Rock set with an EV spread of 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe is viable if you specifically need both Stealth Rock and Camerupt's wallbreaking ability. In this case, Hidden Power Electric is preferred in the last slot, as it does heavy damage to Mantine and Pelipper and can deter them from trying to come in immediately to Defog away Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

Use Camerupt's ability to come in on Rotom, Weezing, Mismagius, Garbodor, and bulky Grass Types Grass-types to set up Stealth Rock. Using status moves on predicted Mantine and Pelipper Switchins switch-ins is often very beneficial, as it will be difficult for them to continuously use Defog over the course of the match. Likewise, if you have Will-O-Wisp on Camerupt, it can be very useful for your team to opt for this move on the switch to cripple an incoming Thick Fat Hariyama or Rhydon. Although defensive Camerupt does not hit very hard, it can also be more beneficial for your team to fish for Lava Plume burns or hit Lanturn switch-ins with Camerupt's Earthquake, depending on the circumstance.

Team Options
========

Camerupt pairs well with sweepers that dislike Rotom's presence in general, as a large draw to using Stealth Rock Camerupt is because it is one of few Stealth Rock setters in the tier that doesn't don't lose to Rotom. Barbaracle in particular likes Camerupt as a partner, as Stealth Rock helps Barbaracle clean, and Camerupt helps Barbaracle deal with Rotom and Gourgeist, with the former giving it a very difficult time in the early- and mid-game and the latter being a hard counter. Scyther also appreciates defensive Camerupt, as its bulk allows it to stay around longer to come in on Scyther's checks and counters. Fighting-types such as Sawk (rip) and Gurdurr appreciate pair well with (repetition) Camerupt, (AC) as it beats a lot of fighting their checks one-one-one one-on-one, including Rotom, Gourgeist, Weezing, and Garbodor, and provides Stealth Rock, which helps the Fighting-types them break past their counters. Xatu must also risk taking a Lava Plume burn and damage if it wants to try to reflect Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce, meaning it won't be able to check Fighting-types for the opposing team. Strong checks to Water-types are necessary on the same team thanks to Camerupt's weakness to them.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast is a powerful STAB move that at least 2HKOes pretty much everything that doesn't resist it. Earth Power is a great secondary STAB move that hits bulky Rock-types, other Fire-types, and Lanturn super effectively while hitting other Water-types hard. Lava Plume is the most spammable move on the set in part because of its perfect accuracy, which can be useful when Camerupt doesn't need Fire Blast's power, as well as its chance to burn opponents foes, which can potentially cripple certain counters. Hidden Power Electric 2HKOes Mantine, which otherwise hard counters Camerupt. It also deals with Charizard, which resists Camerupt's STAB moves.

Set Details
========

Choice Specs, a Modest nature, and 252 Special Attack EVs allow Camerupt to hit as hard as possible. The Speed EVs allow Camerupt to outspeed Gourgeist-XL. It also ensures that Camerupt will be able to outspeed uninvested base 50 Speed Pokemon even if they run some Speed creep EVs. The rest of the EVs go into HP to help it tank various attacks. Solid Rock allows Camerupt to survive various super effective attacks, such as Earthquake, that would otherwise OHKO it.

Usage Tips
========

Bulky Rotom, Weezing, and Garbodor are all common threats that Camerupt can easily switch in on. Don't be afraid to double switch to punish these Pokemon for switching in. Utilizing slow Volt Switch and U-turn users can also be effective in bringing Camerupt onto the field safely. Once Camerupt hits the field, proceed to annihilate the opposing team by clicking the appropriate coverage move. Lava Plume is generally the safest play to make, such as when the opponent has Hariyama or has absolutely nothing to take Camerupt's attacks. It is also useful for scouting switch-ins and burning counters. Use Earth Power when you predict your opponent to go into Lanturn or a bulky Rock-type, but be mindful that being Choice locked into the move can be risky due to it not hitting Levitate users and Flying-types. When it looks like your opponent's best switch-in to Camerupt is a bulky Pokemon that doesn't resist Fire such as Musharna or Audino, use Fire Blast. Use Hidden Power Electric to catch Mantine on the switch, but beware that Camerupt becomes very exploitable if it locks itself into the move.

Team Options
========

Scyther can get Camerupt into the battle easily thanks to U-turn. Camerupt also has a very good matchup against most Scyther checks, which include Steelix, Rotom, Weezing, Garbodor, and Rhydon. Bulky Grass-types such Vileplume and Ferroseed deal with Water-types that threaten Camerupt, (comma) This can be important, as a lot of Water-types a lot of which, such as Samurott, Kabutops, and Barbaracle can freely set up on Camerupt locked into a Fire-type move. Electric-types such as Lanturn and Rotom can help Camerupt deal with Mantine. They can also use Volt Switch to get Camerupt onto the field. On the flip side, pairing Camerupt with late-game cleaners in general is beneficial to take advantage of the mess that Camerupt makes of the opposing team. Both physical and special Sceptile, two notable sets capable of cleaning late-game, work well with Camerupt. Special Sceptile helps with wearing down Hariyama, while physical Sceptile appreciates Camerupt's ability to switch into and destroy Weezing. Likewise, Pokemon such as Swords Dance Samurott and other sweepers that are walled by Mantine and Pelipper appreciate Camerupt's ability to lure them in and weaken them with Hidden Power Electric.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Rock Polish can potentially be used to make Camerupt a late game sweeper, (AC) since as it can find plenty of set up setup opportunities, but its lower bulk and inability to tank priority moves, particularly Aqua Jet, like Rhydon (?) can mean there are better options for cleaners. On defensive sets, Camerupt can make use of Roar or Yawn in the last slot to phaze foes and rack up entry hazard damage, but generally speaking it is better off spreading as much status as possible.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Water-types**: Mantine and Pelipper in particular resist or are immune to Camerupt's STAB moves and can KO Camerupt it with Scald or Defog away the Stealth Rock it sets up. Pelipper needs a specially defensive spread or it gets 2HKOed by Fire Blast, however. Both must also beware of Hidden Power Electric. Other Water-types such as Samurott, Kabutops, and Ludicolo can all switch in and force out Camerupt unless they come in on the wrong STAB move. These three Water-types, along with Barbaracle, can all set up on Camerupt if it's locked into the wrong STAB move.

**Dragon-types**: Even offensive variants of Altaria and Sliggoo can switch in on Camerupt and retaliate with a powerful Draco Meteor or Muddy Water, respectively. Fire Blast nearly 2HKOes Altaria, so it needs Stealth Rock off the field in order to switch in safely. Defensive Sliggoo is the best answer to Camerupt in NU, as it takes a pittance from Fire Blast, (AC) and is only 3HKOed by Choice Specs Earth Power, and it has Rest to heal off a potential Toxic.

**Faster Wallbreakers**: Pokemon like Choice Band Sawk, Choice Specs Aurorus, and maximum Attack variants of Abomasnow can revenge kill Camerupt, although they can't switch into it. Non-STAB Earthquake users such as Archeops, Kangaskhan, and Tauros must also be careful, as Camerupt's Solid Rock allows it to take their Earthquakes from full health.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers** Malamar and RestTalk Mega Audino set up easily on defensive Camerupt and can set up on the Choice Specs set if it is locked into Hidden Power Electric. They should avoid switching into Choice Specs variants, however, as Fire Blast 2HKO's 2HKOes both of them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)