CAP 10 CAP 10 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the basic line sketch of my Concept. Based off of a Basilisk, and not the ones found in Greek Mythology. These are the lizards that you normally laugh at during Science Class as it runs on the surface of a lake flailing its arms around in wild circles. Currently it uses its tail as a sword and the left hand has a large claw that it uses for parrying Attacks. It has the ability to run on Water like its RL Counterpart, and, last but not least, I hope you guys enjoy it. +)

This is the newest version of the Basilisk that I drew up today during PE. The first two concept sketches can be found here.

Tell me what you guys think, and, of course, tell me what I could do better, since I am still a learning artist. +)

First of all, I'd like to say that I love the fact that you based this design on a basilisk lizard!
Secondly, I think that the sword tail idea is innovative, but I'm not sure how well it would work if it had to drag it around by its hand: maybe if the tail was capable of doing so on its own? Also the neck/chest/shoulder area is a little busy--kinda difficult to see what exactly is going on there--especially with the lightning spike from its cheek :P
Once again a greatly innovative idea!

@XandZero2: Similar to Salvatorian, you need to tone down the design around the neck area slightly, as it's a bit clustered and seems to be trying too hard there, and as such it makes the other areas seem... less focused. Nonetheless, it's an excellent design, and a nice choice of creature to base it on!

Okay well mine isn't getting much attention, so I'm jumping on the aragornbird train. There's something about the earlier design that's more appealing than the new glowy shrimp; might just be the cutesy ness, might just be the pose. Either way I'm supporting it, just thought I'd share my thoughts.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
@XandZero2: Similar to Salvatorian, you need to tone down the design around the neck area slightly, as it's a bit clustered and seems to be trying too hard there, and as such it makes the other areas seem... less focused. Nonetheless, it's an excellent design, and a nice choice of creature to base it on!
Yes, maybe it would be better if the design featured the CAP using the sword-tail without the use of any other limbs? It'd make it seem more multitasking-able.

Pokedex Entry 1: [CAP 10] lives at the bottom of the sea. It only comes to the surface to warn others of upcoming storms.

Pokedex Entry 2: [CAP 10] has the power to summon intense thunder storms. However, before doing so, it warns both people and Pokemon

http://Tracing a Gyarados's Intimidate, and summoning a thunder storm.Tracing a Gyarados's Intimidate, and summoning a thunder storm.

A big, big, Big Thanks to pkmn-taicho321 for making my Mermaid Ocelot look so much better! This is still basic concept art though, me and taicho will without a doubt work on improving this design.

So I did some research and found out that some shrimps are bioluminescent. This gives me a new direction to go in.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7638/shrimp.png

At first, it doesn't look too different from my previous version. But the glowing spots all over its body change color depending on the attack it's using. To see it best, you have to turn off the lights:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7346/shrimp.jpg
(After-I-typed-the-below note: Yes, I realize how freakishly long this post is. o.o; Sorry.)

I honestly have to say I was slightly disappointed when I first saw this, initially. I really disagree with your statement " it doesn't look too different from my previous version". It looks almost too different to me...

First, I pretty much agree with everything Rhys29 said. Just getting that out there.

As for me typing out my own analysis... I did majorly like the first version better. In color scheme, the new one looks too dark, which makes it looks fleshy and less "shiny and solid", (as in Armor). I feel it looks nicer when it was a bright pink & yellow. And I gotta say I liked the spiky body & tail better. The smoother roundness also makes it look a bit fleshier as well, especially with the "dangling" antennae, rather than jagged ones. Also, the face on the new one actually bothers me a bit. The eye, and the head's angle itself, both seem too high, and the deep yellow in the eye makes it look a bit strange... The higher head makes it's face look quite empty and a bit bland...? The first had this amazing as hell "intelligent" , "ominous", and "innocent" look, with it's low, blank eye, the stripe through it's face, and whiskers (which were awesome, IMO). The look was also enhanced with the fact that it's head looked down, while it's eye looked forward... I really have to say, I SERIOUSLY freaking loved that look. Though- you did get a really good idea from the new version. The luminescence. Great, great thing. Though, as Rhys said, trim down the spots on the body a bit. Arms and legs, on the antennae, and maybe the tail, and that's good.

(Feel free to skip ALL of this).
Sudden fangasm; (Based off the first image.)
Imagery; You are floating underwater... Your a bit from the surface- the water is getting dark. This thing is maybe, 3 feet tall.... About 10 feet from you? You're not completely sure- but no time to observe things like this... You are staring that thing straight in the eyes, in a standoff.... You're nervous beyond belief- and afraid any sudden movement you may make will result in it somehow killing you. But that blank stare. You have no goddamn idea what is is thinking! What's going to happen!? It begins tugging at your nerves. You heart is racing. It feels like minutes are passing every second. And then, just before you go insane... A yellow luminescence from behind..? What is tha- and before you can turn around, you get shocked and killed from a thunderbolt, behind you. What the- Were you were just looking at an illusion? Was it those lights- did it hypnotize you? OR was it behind you the whole time? A Double Team? A Substitute? Too late to figure out now, as you're dead. It devours your body, and slowly floats away.
(Unimportant content ends here)

Holly hell I typed a lot more than I initially planned right there...Forgive me for the playing with the concept and getting carried away right there... And for having the crit above almost sound a bit demanding, and horrendously long... But... Well, yeah. I really didn't mean to type that much.
... I just love your concept. So much. I was keeping relatively quiet this contest (personally not sure I'm going to enter), thought that design is undoubtedly my favorite.

...Feel free to take and ignore whatever parts of this post you want. >_>;

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Cada vez me gusta menos mi propio diseño. xD

New version of Jellyfish....
I don't know what I have to do with the design... but I'm pretty sure that my concept isn't appealling for you xD

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I did some research and found out that some shrimps are bioluminescent. This gives me a new direction to go in.

<pic>

At first, it doesn't look too different from my previous version. But the glowing spots all over its body change color depending on the attack it's using. To see it best, you have to turn off the lights:

<pic>
Aragornbird, I like the new design, Just making it look more solid will do fine

Cada vez me gusta menos mi propio diseño. xD
La verdad es que a mi también. Tu primer dibujo es el que me gusta más de todos; era simple, pero tenía mucha más personalidad que los otros. Regresa al primero y añádele detalles, pero no le hagas tantos cambios que no son necesarios. No soy muy fanático de los enchufes, y me gustaba mucho más en rojo. Haz que se vea más cómo un submarinista-medusa híbrido-- ya parece que la mitad de Smogon quiere hacer una medusa.

(Caladbolg~: Everytime I like my design less and less. xD)
(Me: Honestly, me too. Your first drawing is the one that I like the most; it was simple, but had much more personality than the others. Return to the first and add detail, but not so many unnecessary changes. I'm not a fan of the plugs, and I liked it much more in red.)

I agree with Champagne, Caladbolg. Your original concept appeals to me more so than the later ones. Just a little more rendering, shadows etc.

he has kept his molt as armor due to his soft body. Electric charge is built up inside his body and stored in the tail. I like this one the best out of my 3 so far.

Caladbolg: I am with the last few posters. I really liked your first one. As far as critical input I agree with most evrything Champagne said. Though I'm not sure what "More like jelly" would look like. Though one or two people were critical of it earlier, the simplicity of it really appeals to me. I hope you keep at it as I would like see this guy as an option later.

EDIT: After looking again I think what makes the first one so great is his expression/attitude. If you could transfer that to the new one I might like it just as much. Either way, keep fiddling with it. I like the concept.

Wow, darkmattr, I like yours best now, it looks really fun and versatile as well. Of your 3 concepts, I think you should work this one out.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Caladbolg your Plug-tentacled Jellyfish is amazing.
I like the fact that you've given it plumage similar to Elekid's, really amplifying the electrical portion (pun intended).
However, you could make the body as well as the overall feel of the sprite more watery, perhaps by splashing in some fins? (pun intended)

Thanks Yllnath, and everyone else who's looked at my stuff. =)

I think I will work this one out with some good supporting material sketches soon.

Caladbolg I think your first design is better, but with your latest design's helmet shape. Seems more jelly fish to me and looks cool

HEY GUYS AM I DOIN' IT RIGHT?

Concept is a combination of elements from angler fish and sea angels. The design is probably a LITTLE busy, but its p. cute I think.

Paras Hilton: First off, LOVE the username. Now that that's outta the way, the concept!

Interesting conept you've got going there, and it is very well executed. And it is very cute! Problem is, I took one look at it and went "Sneasel wannabe". Maybe that was intended so you could add an element of mischief; I'm not sure. But it also makes the design look EXTREMELY Dark-typed. I really don't see any Water or Electric in it at all. But great job anyway, maybe try expreimenting with the design on its costume and the colour scheme a little? Final note: I like the lamppost. It's a nice touch. :)

Paras Hilton that is awesome! I agree that the color scheme suggests dark or ghost so you may tinker a bit with it but I would hate for it to lose its mischievous factor and honestly I like the ghost-ish element of it. Maybe just emphasize the fins or add something to bring out its 'fishyness'. Also, it reminds me of a Jawa. Automatic cool/cute points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)