CAP 10 CAP 10 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my previous concept.

And here's my new one:

What do you guys think of this one? I'm not sure what kind of colors I want to use.
I like your new idea so far. But I recommend replacing the beak with a Platypus Bill. Why, you may ask? Because a platypus bill detects electricity whenever a muscle moves. You should probably change the color scheme too, because it reminds me too much of Golduck & Ludicolo. Finally, you should draw some pictures of it fighting other Pokemon, which will help voters & spriters in-vision how this creature moves. But overall, your design is an unique take on an Electric/Water type, which is why you should continue working on it.

Very nice work, Dark. Sorry I forgot to comment on your entry, but it looks nicely-drawn and quite impressive. :3

I like your design and the supporting material, but if I were you, I'd whip up some more supporting material. To be more specific, I'd like to see how your water molecule would do in a battle against other Pokemon. I'd also like to see some possible alternate colors. You don't have to, but if you do, I'll definitely support your design! Oh, and the name's Douglas. Not to be confused with DougJustDoug, I'm the "other" Doug.
Any colors you'd specifically like to see it in? cause I can do any combo...and I'll try and draw him against some other pokes

Buffalo_Wings

Abnormally Cruel
is an Artist Alumnus

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Paras: I like the third one; light blue and black. that said, yellow/blue probably looks the most fitting. perhaps edit the hood markings a little so it doesn't looks completely depressed.
that said, yours is really well done and the idea for it is amazing.

@darkmattr: That latest submission of yours looks like something I've designed on Spore... completely random and hilarious, but awfully deadly. I do love the design, but I cannot pitch one way or the other yet - what with the amount of good designs.

@Paras: I disagree with ZrystaL - I find the second one most appealing and it has the blue/yellow motif we apparently need for it to say Water/Electric. Also, just realised - it's the Water/Electric equivalent of Farfetch'd, except it would actually be useful and not totally suck.

@Paras Hilton: For some reason, your design looks a lot more like a Electric/Dark than a Electric/Water for me.
It's still my favorite so far, though. GJ there.

yeah the main typing is electric so it would be better if we brought that out!
i like wyverii's idea but i'm not feeling the water part of it imo

Paras, gush! Talk about appeal! I'm not usually a fan of concepts that include an intricate prop but the design is so well put together it's hard to say no.

The style is very modern, with a good sense of balance between geometric and organic forms. This would probably not translate to a sprite version, but the inherent design is strong so I don't think it should be overlooked because it's not drawn the way Pokemon are traditionally represented.

I don't think it has the air of a Dark type any more than Cloyster or Oddish does. It's face just happens to be black or darkened by the shadow of its surrounding parts.

As far as the colour scheme, I like the first best, the traditionalist that I am.

Final Submission

I'm extremely happy with it. I'll keep adding supporting material, but Final Submission.

Storm Platypus Kappa God Thing.

Supporting Material:

Platypus storm god causing trouble with thunder.

Platypus storm god eating Electivire's lightingbolt and he's like oh shit man.

See diagram.

Starmie's all like, oh no, Platypus storm god counters me, sorry for waking you up bro.

Paras Hilton said:
I've got to hand it to you, I really like it now. The clear lightning bolts give this thing a nice electric feel, while I can still pick up on the water with the fins and the face-shape on the hood thing. Cartoons is right on this one, the design is ridiculously strong, not cluttered at all, and looks crisp and refreshing. It certainly stands out among the concepts I've seen so far.

For the record, I'm a definite fan of the first one. I would say no to the right-most version because the red face really kills it. Furthermore, the traditional colors of the first one mixed with the orange both make it feel the right typing and offset each other so well with the proportions you've put them in.

Well done!

Any colors you'd specifically like to see it in? cause I can do any combo...and I'll try and draw him against some other pokes
There are two alt. color schemes I'd like:

1) Silver Body, with yellow eyes, and light blue replacing all uses of yellow. (Such as the mouth, the H, the little molecules surrounding the body, ect.)

2) Light Brown Body, with turquoise eyes, and light green replacing all uses of yellow. (Such as the mouth, the H, the little molecules surrounding the body, ect.)

As for other users:

Lovebite: I saw your new version of your art, with the platypus bill, and it was fantastic! The dark blue fits the concept perfectly!

I think, for supporting material, you should write some Poke-dex entries, or back stories for it. Is it a docile creature? Is it aggressive? How well can it swim? Does it have an impact on it's surroundings? Tell us more about your creature. Overall Lovebite, you're done a great job! CAP has a strong contender for final design!

Paras Hilton
: Big improvement over your last design! It definitely looks Electric/Water now, at least in my eye. The color scheme is great, but it's very similar to Lanturn's colors, which is unfortunate 'cause, like your creature, it has elements based on an Angler Fish. So one thing you'd might want to try is an alt. color scheme with turquoise instead of blue. Overall, your Sea Angler is another strong contender for CAP's final design! (I can see it smashing Tyaritar with it's stick!)

Paras: Really like your style. I personally preferred the first one you drew best but I guess it dose look a bit more elictric type to me. You definitley have my vote!
Scampy: I like yours a lot too but haven't seen a update to it so i can't say much about it. Still its very creative!

There are two alt. color schemes I'd like:

1) Silver Body, with yellow eyes, and light blue replacing all uses of yellow. (Such as the mouth, the H, the little molecules surrounding the body, ect.)

2) Light Brown Body, with turquoise eyes, and light green replacing all uses of yellow. (Such as the mouth, the H, the little molecules surrounding the body, ect.)

As for other users:

Lovebite: I saw your new version of your art, with the platypus bill, and it was fantastic! The dark blue fits the concept perfectly!

I think, for supporting material, you should write some Poke-dex entries, or back stories for it. Is it a docile creature? Is it aggressive? How well can it swim? Does it have an impact on it's surroundings? Tell us more about your creature. Overall Lovebite, you're done a great job! CAP has a strong contender for final design!

Paras Hilton: Big improvement over your last design! It definitely looks Electric/Water now, at least in my eye. The color scheme is great, but it's very similar to Lanturn's colors, which is unfortunate 'cause, like your creature, it has elements based on an Angler Fish. So one thing you'd might want to try is an alt. color scheme with turquoise instead of blue. Overall, your Sea Angler is another strong contender for CAP's final design! (I can see it smashing Tyaritar with it's stick!)
Alt colors and one vs. other pokes are added to my other post, I'll try and do more in a little while or maybe tomorrow. I'm leaving monday morning for vacation so I'm gonna have to get it done before then...

I'm no artist, but I decided to give this a spin. This started out as some kind of Placoderm, then I accidentally drew a fin that looked like an arm, then I stuck some Xatu-inspired wings on it, and put in a Kyogre-esque lateral line. Altogether, I'm pretty happy with it, considering I drew in in MS Paint. Coloring sucks though, which is too bad because it might even look halfway decent if I could figure out a way to do some shading or whatever.

The style is very modern, with a good sense of balance between geometric and organic forms. This would probably not translate to a sprite version, but the inherent design is strong so I don't think it should be overlooked because it's not drawn the way Pokemon are traditionally represented.
Well, not translate easily.
Very unpolished. Also need to try out the other color schemes. I love Cartoons! and Paras Hilton's submissions. Ignore unnecessary details, raw easy color schemes. Very cartoony look compared to the other CAP's which is unique in of itself. Not to mention they both nab your eye out of the line ups. And they both grow on you. Yilx also has a fantastic design, took me a second to see outside the Mismagius-esque design to see it resembled a jellyfish. Would love to see some more poses and/or supporting art.

I suppose that I ought to take the time to comment on the redesign and new color scheme of Paras Hilton's angler-fish Pokemon. More specifically, I want to make a few suggestions that could make this fellow even better.

The first thing I would like to say is that the latern coloration is perfect on both the initial design and the way it is in your main redesign. Definately keep that natural greenish-browinsh color.

I do have mixed feelings about the new coloration of the critter itself. It seems to me like you're trying a little TOO hard to make it look like an electric type by adding in that yellow section and making the "teeth" yellow. I think the jaged shape of his lower body (as it kinda looks like a lightning bolt) and the lantern itself both portay the electric element just fine. I'd say definately keep the teeth their original white. I'd also suggest not having the body sectioned off between two different the way it is right now.

That said, the yellowish-orange that you've used in the places where he used to have red looks great: I would keep that since it ties in with the face (which appears to have the same coloration as it did in the intial design).

In regards to the two color schemes you have down in the lower right-hand corner, I'd say that you should try the darker blue that can be found on the right color scheme as the main color of his "hoodie."

Overall, I have to admit that this design is starting to win my support over: it's such an adorable and clever design. It certianly is developing quite well. Of course, I'd be happy with any one of the ones I have already commented upon.

It's not done yet but I wanted to post it before I went to bed. Any suggestions would be helpful rright now so I can change them easier. It's hard getting the hang of this online painting program...

(Here's the link if you can't see it: http://i41.tinypic.com/2eoljk7.jpg)

Supporting Details:
I had the idea of a "tiger shark" in mind for a very long time but only recently did I realize I could make it applicable to a CaP. Sharks have weak electric fields that they can use to sense prey, which could be interpreted as the Electric and Water types in that respect. Tigers, on the other hand, are very versatile animals, living in a range of climes and conditions, but only the kind their specific species is accustomed to - similar to how CaP10 is supposed to counter only a certain grouping of threats at a time. Also, tigers are pretty bulky and that could transpose to high HP (see the stat spreads thread). I could see myself making a pre-evo of this as a "cat-fish". Any and all suggestions are welcome, but I won't see them until tomorrow. Goodnight everyone!

EDIT: See my other post for a completed colored version.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Trying to make it look less mismagius-like right now... I can't believe I overlooked something like that...!

I wanted a squid-based sea witch of some sort, but I'm kind of having trouble getting it to look less like mismagius now. I'll edit this post when I'm successful...

Trying to make it look less mismagius-like right now... I can't believe I overlooked something like that...!

I wanted a squid-based sea witch of some sort, but I'm kind of having trouble getting it to look less like mismagius now. I'll edit this post when I'm successful...
NO NO NO NO NO!!!! STOP!!!!

It wasn't a negative at all! Keep it as is please! I absolutely love the current design!

Yilx: I didn't see Mismagius in your Sqid-Witch. I like it as is too but if you think you can improve by all means work some more magic.

Paras: SO happy to see support coming out for your submission. I liked the teeth on the original much better but I understand why you left them behind. The colors look nothing like Lanturn iirc so I wouldn't worry about that. I liked the pose of your original one better; i think because I could see both faces more plainly and the hood's eyes added a lot of character to it. As far as colors go I agree that the green-ish color of the lamppost id perfect and I too like the orange fins. Please use the black face over the red one. If there is any way that you can still say electric with the old teeth, I prefer them over the new 'stach soo much. Once again, I love this guy!

A crab with hair on its frontmost legs. The theory is that the hair on its legs build up electricity from static. I don't have access to an actual computer and i made this on a laptop so the colors may be off. The hair might look like fire, but that is because the shades on the hair are oranges and reds, it should be darker yellow. Please overlook the fire looking hair. there is enough interest in the design, I'll create some supporting material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)