CAP 10 CAP 10 - Part 13 - Sprite Poll 3

Which should be CAP 10's sprites?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chaoscrippler when compared to DJD's is just much more vibrant and lively.
DJD's is very generic, and I understand it's a very close representation to the original artwork, it just seems he didn't go beyond the reference image.
Chaos on the other hand made Krilowatt his own and put his own take on it.
The pose may or may not be awkward depending on how you look at it, but lets be honest, I'd rather look at a very clean, very Poke'mon feeling, and fun sprite, as opposed to a static sprite.
On a closing note I just want to draw attention to the beauty that is Chaos' back sprite.
That looks like it would be in a Poke'mon game hands down.

The reason I chose DougJustDoug over Chaoscrippler? The colours. Chaoscrippler imo used too dark colours, especially the blue in his shiny.

Chaoscrippler's is far too flat and cartoonish to really be any good as a sprite; it needs a tad more depth for it to really look like a sprite. The colours are also a bit off from the original design itself and it's very glaring, especially since I am almost colour-blind. Voted DJD.

I voted for DougJustDoug. Doug's sprite is small like a shrimp Pokemon should be. It also is in a more defensive stance, which fits a utility counter well. Chaoscrippler's sprite looks too flat and cartoonish, and its pose makes it look like more of an offensive Pokemon.

I don't at all see how it presents itself as flat. Perhaps you're confusing that with the color being flat, as it's supposed to be. The is pose a tad akward, but it's still the more pokemonish. And it's pokemon, it isn't going to be logical.
You'd be surprised. A lot of things in Pokemon make a lot of sense logically. And I don't know about you, but I appreciate things that make either logical sense or fridge logical sense than no sense at all.

Still going with Chaoscrippler's. His design, to me, actually looks like a Pokemon. The whole design gives it the feel of a Pokemon. Doug's just looks like a shrimp.
I think this post needs to get a lot more attention. Think about it; the sprites is one of the more creative and less-competitive parts of the CAP creation process, meaning I'd prefer it to be as pokemon-ish as possible, as we are basing this on a Pokemon game. DJD's looks like a shrimp, and while his art is more accurate and fitting of the shrimp-concept, it looks a bit weird once you lable it as a "Pokemon", while the other submission fits that labling perfectly.

I think this post needs to get a lot more attention. Think about it; the sprites is one of the more creative and less-competitive parts of the CAP creation process, meaning I'd prefer it to be as pokemon-ish as possible, as we are basing this on a Pokemon game. DJD's looks like a shrimp, and while his art is more accurate and fitting of the shrimp-concept, it looks a bit weird once you lable it as a "Pokemon", while the other submission fits that labling perfectly.
As I said before that's so true...
But no-one cares about that. ;_;
capefeather@ if you put substance to your post, it's not against the rules.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I have, once again, voted for DougJustDoug. The only problem I have with DJD's sprite is his back pose. I do not like the height of Krilowatt's arms, and it makes him appear awkward in pose. However, that's about it. The size of the sprite is perfect. Doug nailed the curve of a shrimp well, which makes the body design just feel correct in terms of corresponding what a shrimp looks like. The colors are fluid, yet not overpowering. I am particularly fond of the Shiny sprite, as cyan on blue is a great combination.

ChaosCrippler should be commended by me for making it this far, too, even though he didn't get my vote. He did an outstanding job. However, I do not like CC's front pose at all. It's too cartoon-y, almost to an extent where the line between shrimp and cartoon character is blurred. I really like the back sprite, though: it looks like a Generation 4 back sprite from head to...tail? XD The colors, however, are kind of the nail in the coffin for me. The colors are way too rich, to an extent where I look at Krilowatt and kind of get sick of looking at such a deep red (and especially the shiny's blue. It's way too deep, and seems unappealing to me). The shading seems somewhat off too.

As a final note, to those who are saying that this shrimp looks too much like a shrimp (haha), remember that GameFREAK does not base their initial and final designs off...of Pokemon. They base it off of real life animals or inanimate objects. If that were the case, a bunch of Pokemon (Caterpie and Butterfree, Pidgey, Tailow, etc.) would be criticized for looking "too much like ___". Pokemon look like Pokemon because they are shaped from animals, point blank. No one should be dismissing either ChaosCrippler's design or Doug's design based on these kinds of arguments.

i voted for doug's because it's more elaborate and realistic. the other one was good, but a bit too cartoony for my tastes.

If I'd have to decide based on technique only, this'd be much harder of a choice. Both submissions are very strong in quality either way, so it's hard for me to base a decision on that without picking them apart pixel by pixel. Neat as though it may be, the main reason to pick chaoscrippler's over his competitor is simply because it fits in with the existing sprites much better. Doug has a very own style, which is something worthwhile in the world of c/p, but it just falls a bit short here IMO.

Is it me or does DJD's look like a well-colored 2nd generation pokemon? Try looking at CC's and you see 5th generation. I also love the shiny on CC. I also like the color difference; CC's is fun to look at and DJD's is kinda boring. I mean, if it's an electric shrimp we shouldn't expect anything normal.

Is it me or does DJD's look like a well-colored 2nd generation pokemon? Try looking at CC's and you see 5th generation. I also love the shiny on CC. I also like the color difference; CC's is fun to look at and DJD's is kinda boring. I mean, if it's an electric shrimp we shouldn't expect anything normal.
This is money. If you look at the sprites in the current generation, they're all full of strong, vivid colours. Key word being strong. Even look at past CAP pokemons, they follow that line of reasoning. DJD looks very retro but I guess some people like that. It will be very out of place among all the other pokemon IMHO.

Just compare DJD's next to the rest of the CaP sprites and Pokemon sprites in general and something just doesnt look right.

These two are both very good, but I leaned toward Chaos mainly because of the backsprite; just not a fan of Doug's, the eyes don't mesh too well with the rest of it somehow, looks a bit squashed. Plus the vibrant colors and dynamic pose are great for Chaos, too. Prefer Doug's shiny colors - blue + cyan = great for electric/waters, I've seen alternate Lanturn shinies that pulled the same thing off beautifully. That said, the shiny wasn't enough to sway my vote. If Chaos's is used I'll use regular Krilo, if Doug's is used I'll use the shiny. Fine with me either way.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations to Doug on his victory, and Chaoscrippler for a close second. With the results of this poll, CAP 10 is officially done! I will be posting a final product thread, and you can expect playtesting to occur as soon as possible.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Thanks to everyone that helped me with my sprite. The feedback from everyone in the spriting thread was a big help. When you stare at a magnified 80x80 grid of pixels for hours on end -- it gets very hard to step back and look at the sprite objectively. So, hearing constructive feedback was very helpful.

Much respect to Chaoscrippler and Cartoons -- I liked both of their sprites immensely. I would not have felt the least bit slighted if the community chose their sprites for our newest CAP creation.

To everyone that entered the spriting competition, I hope you enjoyed working with the community and showing off your stuff. I have always felt the best part of CAP art and sprites is the platform it gives for artists to display their work to a huge body of interested and enthusiastic viewers. Win or lose, most artists will take free gallery time wherever they can get it!

Speaking of galleries....

I finally got the sprite framework programming completed in the CAP Gallery a few days ago. For those of you that haven't seen it, then check it out here:

http://www.smogon.com/cap/gallery/

Now the amazing past CAP sprite submissions are preserved for posterity. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)