What should be CAP 10's artwork?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Top ten submissions have advanced from the previous poll. Take your pick for whichever you want to have as the artwork for this CAP. Here is our Pokemon:

reachzero said:
Name: Utility Counter
General Description: This Pokemon is capable of being customized to counter virtually any specific Pokemon, but is incapable of countering a large number of Pokemon at the same time.
Justification: It is not unusual for people to say that "versatility is broken" from an offensive standpoint; less attention is given to versatile defensive Pokemon such as Zapdos or Hariyama. This Pokemon would allow us to study the impact of having a Pokemon that is capable of dealing with such varied threats as Salamence, Lucario, and Gengar....but not all at once.
Questions To Be Answered:
--How useful is defensive versatility in a metagame with so many different threats to account for?
--Given the existence of a Pokemon that can hard counter only specific major threats, which threats will be prepared for the most?
--How would team building change if certain difficult-to-prepare-for threats became easier to prepare for?
--Which is more useful, a Pokemon that can somewhat handle a wide range of threats, or a Pokemon that can handle a few threats extremely well?
Typing: Water/Electric
Stat Spread: 151/84/73/83/74/105
Ability: Trace
Ability: Magic Guard

Again, the submissions:

This time you will only be voting for one. Happy voting!

yeah, i fucking love cyzir's. cannot get enough of it, lol.

that said, i think i voted for pretty much all of these in the first poll. doug's and aragorn's submissions also rock.

It was hard to pick since I voted for pretty much all of these in the first poll, but Yilx has my vote. All of the entries are so good it was hard to pick just one.

Going Cartoons! It's one of few that look fast, bulky but also like they wouldn't be interested in fighting much, hence the low offense. Fits the spread and the typing due to the colour scheme.

I might be the only one, but I'm not a big fan of Cyzir's submission. Nothing against it, I just don't like it enough to call it my choice.

Ultimately, the choice for me would be between aragornbird or Yilx. I love both submissions, but in the end, Yilx is my final choice.

Went with Keishinkae because damnit, I'm a fan of saurian looking Pokemon. CyzirVisheen is a close second, but something keeps bugging me. Is the fish and lantern equal in size or is that just a slight screw-up on perspective?

Voted Keishinkae.

The plesiosaur looks like it would fit the stat spread well and has a great attitude!

I also like Cyzir's and Aragornbird's, but Cyzir's looks like it might be a ghost type IMO and Aragornbird's looks sort of NFE to me.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Yilx remains my top choice, but Cyzir comes close second, and Keishinkae in third.

Voted Yilx

Oh man, my design didn't make it. :pirate: Oh well, we still have ten amazing art designs to choose from, so I'll be happy with whoever wins.

I decided to narrow down my choices based on which design best fit the Stat Spread. I narrowed it down to Cyzir & Wyverii. And while both designs are fantastic, I went with Wyverii for three reasons:
1) I feel that her design looks more like it has 105 base speed.
2) Her design has a great mix of cute-ness and bad-@$$-ness.
3) Cyzir already won three art design polls, and Wyverii has won zero.

Honorable Mentions go to:
DougJustDoug: For having a fantastic backstory for his beaver.
Paras Hilton: For having such a unique and charming character design.
Keishinkae: For having such an appealing design, with a stellar color scheme.

voted for CyzirVisheen because its supposed to be a counter pokemon and it reminded me of those fish that go, hey I got a worm here psych, now I ate you.

Out of all of Cyzirvisheen's CAP designs, winners and losers, I'd have to say this is his/her most ingenious yet. Incredible. The other designs for this CAP are great, but Cyzirvisheen just seems to have something in his/her mind that, in my opinion, is able to create CAP pokemon that surpass many ACTUAL pokemon designs in concept and originality. Yes, you read that right. Cyzirvisheen, I think you should send some of your work to Game Freak. I think (or at least, in a pokemon fanboyish unrealistically high hope) they would HAVE to hiring you.

Now, having said that, i voted for Yilx. >_< while I feel Cyzirvisheen's entry is the best, I have just fell in love with Yilx's concept, and the thought of seeing it in sprite form intrigues me.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think Aragornbird has the best design here. It truly stands out as one of the more simplistic designs, but admirable in its own way. Plus, it's cool to imagine this little guy dishing out and taking damage with the best of OU.

Yilx's design is pretty cool for that not-so-subtle despondent look, but the lightning bolts hanging on the side remind me too much of Rotom. I'd truly regret having another one of those on our hands.

CyzirVisheen's is kind of cool, which is why I nomiated it, but solely out of respect for the artwork itself. It doesn't look like a Pokemon at all.

I voted for CyzirVisheen's art form. It's original in its own way, and while Yilx's looks very appealing, I think cyzir's is a better representation of a counter pokemon due to the fact that the main part of the pokemon is unclear (lantern or fish), and allows it to use both for their own purposes, instead of mashing a water with an electric pokemon.

Yilx is easily my favorite, and while I like CyzirVisheen's I'm insistent on letting someone else have a go. Three in a row is a bit over board, and letting some fresh air breath into the CAP scene is a good thing.

I also have to say that Keishinkae's design looks too much like Electric Dragon, and I really preferred his earlier piece.

To be honest however at this point every design is ok in my book, they're all amazing! Hope I ge to compete directly with everyone next time!

Cyzir's way too damn perfect for this, but still... I can't resist Paras Hilton's creation. It doesn't have much chance, but I'm glad I voted on (one of) the ones I liked the most (why didn't you guys vote on the cute blob guy! :( )

I hope CyzirVisheen's reverse angler fish advances to the next round.

Gahh, dammit. >__o I just typed up a huge analysis of why I picked the one I did, but screw it, I am NOT retyping all of that.

Voted Aragornbird; it fits the theme, fits the stat spread, I can see it having Trace and Magic Guard, and it's pretty creative as far as original creatures in the Pokemon universe go. CyzirVisheen's is just THIS close behind it, but it feels like something bulky to me, (like Blissey or something) rather than something that can potentially be quick and / or hit hard and / or tank hits depending. As far as fitting the theme and all that other stuff goes, I think Wyverii's is possibly the second best at that. Unfortunately, for me, this is just an instance of bias... I like looking at the shrimp more. -.-' sorry.

I really loved all the other entries, but we all know there can only be one winner... :\ And I tried to pick the entry that best fits the theme. But seriously, kudos to everyone else who made it this far.

I might be the only one, but I'm not a big fan of Cyzir's submission. Nothing against it, I just don't like it enough to call it my choice.
I'm COMPLETELY with you on this part.

Personally, I think it's interesting and all, though it seems irritatingly complicated, and it doesn't seem fit the stat spread that well....And that perspective thing still bugs the hell out of me. Throughout the whole thing, he made the fish look so small, and now it's huge...?

I went for Aragornbird, myself. I agree with what SJCrew says; it's adorable and it fits great. Keishinkae was a close second, for me.
Though I still like the color scheme he made before his final one better...

Forcing one choice was difficult for me, as I couldn't decide, to be honest. Mainly as I voted for most of these submissions.

That said, I chose Cartoons! for a next round submission: mainly as it looks completely wacky and yet seems perfect for the role of countering everything. The fact that he made a sprite movie depicting how it would use move X or move Y helps too: I can see it using a lot of moves.

I couldn't tell you which would be brilliant, but it seems CyzirVisheen's sea-lanturn has a lot of support. More importantly, I wouldn't mind seeing any of these win: I just don't particularly like Keshinkae's design: it seems out of place when compared to the others.

Voted for Yilx

In all honesty, while Visheen's design is in a leauge of it's own, however I feel it isn't... right. It looks more like a wall, especially as it looks like some Aquatic cousin of Brongzong.

Yilx's design, however, dosen't look like a wall, it looks like something that could carry Base 105 Speed, and be.. a tricky foe to fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)