What should be CAP 10's artwork?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The more I look at AB's design, the more comfortable I get with it (I wasn't very keen at all on it to begin with), and I'm starting to understand its appeal to voters. While I voted for Cyzir's design based off of the creativity and originality of the design, I would be fine with either artwork representing this CAP. Great job, you two.

(and for the record, neither or these two artists need cheaters to boost their designs <.< get it together, CAP)

Cooky

Banned deucer.
Voted aragornbird, Cyzir's was too reminiscent of a Bronzong dangling off a Lanturn, despite being perhaps one of the most perfectly rendered submissions yet in the history of CAP. Aragornbird's was attractive due to its compatability with the idea of light, speedy, bulky etc..

The shrimp still looks like a prevo
I think that's the problem with all cute designs in all CAP projects. In our minds, we automatically think that for a pokemon to look like it's fully evolved, it has to look big and badass. There are several pokemon that one could argue do not look like they're fully evolved (Azumarill and Shuckle come to mind) yet they don't have any further evolutions.

I think that's the problem with all cute designs in all CAP projects. In our minds, we automatically think that for a pokemon to look like it's fully evolved, it has to look big and badass. There are several pokemon that one could argue do not look like they're fully evolved (Azumarill and Shuckle come to mind) yet they don't have any further evolutions.

Yes, but I couldn't see Shuckle or Dunsparce countering the top of OU. I know that it isn't a requirement and I am not against 'cute' seeing as Paras Hilton's was my favorite concept. However, you make a good point and are fair in your general assessment of our preconceptions (mine specifically). In the end, I just don't like the little dude but plenty of people do and it makes perfect sense since (lol) Aragornbird did a great job with it, It simply looks a little too impotent for my taste. I'll be happy with the result regardless as long as everyone has the courtesy to respect the voting process.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I really shouldn't have to be warning everyone at this point but I will anyway. Quoting directly from the CAP forum rules:

When posting in click poll threads, be sure to follow the following guidelines. Posts that add nothing to the thread are not allowed. There is no reason to broadcast your vote to everyone; this adds nothing to the thread, and if people really wanted to see your vote, they can check the poll themselves. Posts like "I voted for ___ ..." or "I voted for ___ because I ..." are unallowed. Better is "Vote for ___ because ...". These posts must be backed up by competitive reasoning, or else they will be deleted and/or infracted.
Since this is an art poll I don't expect competitive reasoning, but basic flavor reasoning. Just tell us what you liked about the art.

It was a very hard decision, but I voted for CyzirVisheen for a couple of reasons (not in any particular order):

1. I've mentioned Heatran/Infernape Fire Blast before. I mean, I suppose the shrimp could be made very large so that it takes 240 BP from Grass Knot or whatever, but honestly there's a line between fittingly ironic and too ironic. I think aragornbird's design crosses that line.

(I know people have argued that choosing based on stat builds is not wise, and they have pointed to Vaporeon, Celebi, etc. for this, but let me clarify that when I looked at Pokémon with similar stats, the art consistency happened to be quite apparent. I've also mentioned the "Fairy Factor" before as well, and I don't think that the shrimp fits this.)

2. Lots of people have argued for aragornbird's simplistic design, but for this particular concept I wonder how important that should be. A sea creature that's known for having survived many eons of extinction may have been more fitting, such as a shark or a turtle or some kind of plankton. (Actually, if Poison Heal had been one of CAP 10's abilities, the shrimp could have made so much more sense.) Cyzir's design looks like the kind of creative adaptation that happens IRL down in the depths of the sea.

Voted Aragornbird. Cyzir's initial sketches had me really interested, but this final product (while badass) is way too busy: Glowing eyes, transluscent patches, multicolored stripes out the wazoo. I'm also getting a bit of a Ghost-type vibe from it, though I don't see the resemblances to Bronzong or Chinchou. Aragornbird's (50 foot tall) shrimp brings a lot more personality to the table, and ironic stat builds are awesome.

Edit:

@fear_my_shuckle: OK, Shuckle and Dunsparce aren't exactly standards (here's hoping they both get sweet 5th gen evolutions). But what about Manaphy? Forget NFE, that little guy looks like he could be a starter. Instead, he's an established Uber. It's all in the stat spread, and this CAP has a great one!

I also removed my comment about the "spritability" of Cyzirvisheen's design after I realized that Doug was right - I shouldn't judge that element when I can't even sprite myself. However, I still don't like how complex it is.

I voted aragornbird, for reasons already explained by others here and in previous art threads. Simple design with plenty of love, and plenty of potential.

Ultimately, while I like Cyzir's piece, I feel it is wrong for this project. Because it looks like it's made from stained glass, I have a hard time imagining that it could actually conduct electricity. And because looks hollow, I disagree with everyone that feels "Cyzir's fits the HP stat." I will grant that it looks like it could change forms mid-battle, and maybe even act as it's own substitute. That would be awesome, but that feels like a CAP for a future date.

Meh, the shrimp won me over.

The irony of the stat spread was too funny to resist.

And the idea of a shrimp Seismic Tossing Gyarados Charizard-style into the ground (despite it having no competetive value whatsoever) just SCREAMS epic win.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Do not use the ability to sprite the design as a reason to vote for or against either of these designs. We have some amazing spriters that contribute to CAP, and I can confidently say that we can sprite damn near anything.

On past CAP's, we used to fret about the ability to sprite some of the winning designs. In the end, it ALWAYS turns out that our spriters rise to the challenge. So now, if you mention spriting as a reason against a design, you are not only insulting the spriters on the project -- but you are showing that you don't know too much about CAP history either.

As a spriter myself, I appreciate your concern and your desire to make my job a little easier. But, I actually LIKE the challenge of a tough sprite. I can't speak for the other CAP spriters, but I suspect they also enjoy the opportunity to show off their skills by tackling a hard design. Any chump off the street can do a good Voltorb -- but how many spriters can do Giratina with flair? Yeah, I'll take the challenge every time...

And for the record, BOTH of these designs are going to be hard to sprite. Cyzir's design has lots of details and colors, which is a wicked combo for a spriter. Aragornbird's design is deceptively tough -- but the key to the challenge is that the sprite will likely need to be small. As such, it will be difficult to fit in the details without making it unrecognizable.

I don't want to turn this thread into a spriting discussion, since we will have plenty of time to talk about it when the spriting threads come around. But, as it pertains to the artwork presented here -- "spritability" should not be a voting issue.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Meh, the shrimp won me over.

The irony of the stat spread was too funny to resist.

And the idea of a shrimp Seismic Tossing Gyarados Charizard-style into the ground (despite it having no competetive value whatsoever) just SCREAMS epic win.
I think the stat spread fits quite nicely with aragorn's. High speed with mediocer defensive stats and alright offensive stats. Only stat that doesn't really "fit" is hp.

Anyways, I voted Cyzir. I thought of it like one of the bodies would counter defensive pokes, while the other part of the poke would counter offensive poke, but you could only ev it to emphasize one of the two parts of the cap.

I originally loved Ylix's design, but my next choice was bird's, mainly because they look like they match the abilities and stat spreads. (Especially Ylix's, it was almost pseudo-psychic/ghost). But this shrimp would be a welcome addition to Pokemon :3

Aragornbird's is what I voted; I love how simple it is in concept and design. Cyzir's is far too cluttered, imo of course, and it just doesn't seem to share the same kind of charm as aragornbird's piece that makes it feel like a gamefreak Pokemon.

Oh, and lastly, can we please have a CAP at last that looks cute, as opposed to the monstrous/robotic/ghostly design that we've been accustomed to for yonks. Just because.
Well if more people had voted for Ylix's squidloli...

Voting Cyzir one last time. Upon multiple views, it's kind of busy and needs to be cleaned up, but aragon goes too far in the other direction; so clean it's bland and pedestrian.

On design: The big bad full evolution look makes sense, but when looked at objectively is kind of disingenuous. Honchkrow, Mew, every Fairy-type/Electric Rodent ever, Wobbuffet, Lickitung, Tangela/Tangrowth, Miltank, Dunsparce, Togekiss, Medicham, Breloom, Grumpig, Frosslass, Gallade/Gardevoir, Mr. Mime/Jynx, Dugtrio, the list goes on. There are a great many final forms that aren't OMG CRUSHINATOR MONSTARZ, and since these things don't even have pre-evolved forms there's no real mandate for them to look like murderbeasts.

I didn't vote in any of the previous polls, but I'm giving aragornbird my vote. That's not to say I dislike the quirky concept of CyzirVisheen's, however; it's well-drawn and beautifully designed. However, I feel that simplicity goes a long way with artwork, which is why the electric shrimp is the way I'm voting.

It's pretty sad people still cheat on this...

With Cartoons! out and my back up choice in Ylix also out, I am going with aragornbird. The shrimp is to the point and effective. Cyzir has one of the nicest artistic pieces I've seen in a while but it just doesn't...work for me in this context.

I can see the fish of Cyzir's dragging the "bell" at decent speeds and the Bell of course being the bulky part of the whole set up, and while it doesn't look monstrously strong it does have a certain flavor of danger about it, and it looks like it could easily pack a surprise like explosion, fire punch, or even crunch.

I voted Cyzir.
The design fits the stat spread which helps a bit, but what really gets me is it incredibly ingenious in design. A reverse angler fish is as clever as it gets, and Cyzir executes it to perfection. While I don't think it fits the concept perfectly, It certainly fits well enough for my liking. It is beautifly presented and I find myself going crazy realizing that it may not win this poll. (that's what bias does I guess).

While aragornbird's design is nice, I find it rather boring, and while this isn't (or shouldn't be, but for me it is at times) a major factor, I can't see it fitting the stat spread at all. And the "presence" (I couldn't think of any other way of saying this) seems to be lacking hugely. It looks like a 1st stage evolution of a 3 stage evolved pokemon. Not a pokemon that can take on the likes of Tyranitar or Salamance and so forth. I think that's whats hurting it in my eye the most. Although, I will admit, aragornbird''s support material does help show what it should be capable of.

Still, I will have to find a way to be content if aragornbird wins. And aragornbird, know I have no vendetta against you. You are an AMAZING artist, but I guess I just have a huge bias for Cyzir in this. :P

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I voted for aragornbird. I like the simplicity of the design, the cuteness, & the unpredictability of it. Show it to a non-smogon person & they would laugh at the design, underestimating it to the max.
I like the thought of a shrimp taking down something like salamence, or bronzong, or heatran, etc...
Who says cute pokemon cant be fully evolved? Or take down a big, scary looking OU pokemon???

I voted for aragornbird, it is cute and a shrimp pokemon has not been done yet.

I think cyzir's looks like a chinchou glued to a bronzong. =(
I also think that the shrimp looks much more versatile than cyzir's.
There aren't really any cuter CAPs yet (closest thing is Stratagem... maybe?) and it would cool to get one lol.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For anyone concerned with Cyzir's CAP being sprited, think of some of Pokemon's other dual entities: Mawile, Girafarig, and Weezing. Just use your imagination.

Aragornbird still has my support for reasons I've stated many times over.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This was a tough vote for me. I like the shrimp a lot, and I will be very happy if it wins. But, in the end, I voted for CyzirVisheen's angler fish because I think it will present a better opportunity for creativity on the sprite by different spriters. I realize this is a very narrow reason to vote for a design, but when it gets down to the very end, with two very good designs pitted against each other -- it is the little things that tip favor one way or the other.

Congrats to both Aragornbird and CyzirVisheen on making such great designs for CAP10!

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I voted for Cyzir because I'm just not very fond of Aragornbird's design.

But reading some of the posts, there is a point to be made about how hard Cyzir's may be to sprite.

I voted for aragornbird bcuse the design is very cute and I actually think that it looks like something that could (or rather should) be in a Pokemon game without you guys inventing it. I also think it might look really good as a sprite.

Aw, sadface. Well, with Yilx's entry gone, I have to go with my second choice, aragornbird. Though Cyzir's entry is quite good, I really don't like it for this particular CAP. I feel that aragorn has the most original concept for this round: the pokemon that you could say it might resemble is Crawdaunt or Kingler, but even then they are a stretch. On the flipside, the first thing most people see when they see Cyzir's entry are the resemblance to Bronzong and Lanturn. Though Cyzir's entry does have a large degree of originality to it that does distinguish it, I can't support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)