CAP 10 CAP 10 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
Chaos Crippler- I love what you're doing with your sprite, especially the pincers.

Doug- I prefer the non-aggressive eyes.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I was gone for a bit, but I've done a bit of tweaking. I'm a little behind; need to do my other gender sprite and get a backsprite done!
I really do think a darker shade of pink would do wonders for your sprite. Also, the rigid lining on the bulbs of the antennae could use some tuning up.

@ Doug: Wow, the sprite looks much better with the eyes fixed. Please keep it that way.

Front A ---- Front B ---- Front C ---- Front D

Because I'm receiving a lot of differing opinions, I'm offering four possible front sprite options. Front A is remains unchanged. However, front B is without the mouth, front C is clawed, and front D is clawed and mouthless.

Likewise, there are two backsprites; one being with pincers and the other clawed. Obviously, the option will correlate with the choice of the front sprite.

Spriters are under no obligation to map exactly to the design. The "artistic license rule" is included in the OP for a reason. There is almost no "incorrect" way to sprite a design, as Rising Dusk indicated to ChaosCrippler. Obviously, this thread is for feedback, so people should tell spriters what they think of the sprites. But don't tell a spriter that they are "incorrect". Tell them you don't like it, or say that you disagree with their choice -- but don't imply that they are "wrong" or doing something against the rules. Because, that is completely untrue.

Spriters are welcome to do almost anything they please, as long as the sprite can be reasonably justified to be "inspired" by the main design. At the end of the day, if the majority of people don't like an individual spriters interpretation of the design -- then they are more than welcome to not vote for it.
This is exactly my point and deserves to be quoted for emphasis (qft!). Thank you for taking the time to follow up on this issue.

ChaosCrippler knows all this -- since he has been a longtime participant in CAP spriting polls, and his sprites have done very well in the past. In fact, I think a hallmark of ChaosCrippler's sprites have been the artistic spin and creativity that he brings to each of them. I personally look forward to seeing what ChaosCrippler is going to do on every CAP, because it is often fresh, exciting, and challenges the preconceived notions of the design.

And, BTW -- I really like your Krilowatt sprites, ChaosCrippler. I think they are the "cutest" sprites in the thread. And they have great dynamic posing and creativity.
Haha, thanks a lot for the kind words, Doug! I always strive to bring a creative uniqueness towards the original artwork with my sprites, which l hopefully makes them stand out in one way or another. With that said, I prefer your front sprite with the rounder eyes and the second backsprite with the slightly more visible eyes. Also, blue shiny option is the most appealing to me (hence the reason why my shiny sprites will be blue as well, haha.)

Definitely supporting "Front C" as the mouth gives it some emotion, gives it a flavor reason to be able to cry "Krilo!", and is a healthy detail. Also, huge support of no-pincers, since the claws look a lot better and totally fit the concept better. (Blah, artistic license, I still much prefer sticking closer to the concept than further from it!)

At first, I wasn't totally into the pincers, but then I got into thinking, hey, that'd be a pretty rad way to marry the concept with the really cool pistol shrimp.

I'm not against the inclusion of a mouth, but I'm not entirely sold on the shape and coloration of it as it is now. I'm not really sure what to suggest, perhaps something smaller, or a different shape, but would you be willing to try alternative mouth shapes? Sorry if I'm being difficult, this isn't really anything that anyone else has brought up, so feel free to ignore it.

Vader, you have one of my favorite sprites in the thread that I'm afraid is being overlooked for lack of a 'hook' of sorts. I'm not suggesting you add flash or anything to it at all because I think it's just such a solid representation of the shrimp. Good job.

@ Chaos Crippler
I prefer Front D, Just because I think a mouth on a shrimp looks odd and because I liked it little pokey claws, whereas pincers make it look more like one of the many pincered pokemon we already have.

The pincers SERIOUSLY detract from the design, IMO, giving it this weird lobster-like feel.
Shrimp have pincers. Why is everyone freaking out that it loses the feel of a shrimp? If anything it's a more accurate depiction of the concept.

@Chaoscrippler: Though I am not a huge fan of the sprite overall, my tastes aside, it is a great sprite. It captures the feel of 4th gen's more cartoon look and sets it apart from not only every other submission in the thread that I have seen but from every other CAP finalized sprite which have been too gung ho about making a badass looking sprite to capture 2nd gen's feel. If I can suggest anything it's to experiment with making the bottom claw smaller.

P.S. @Cartoons!: That pistol shrimp is one badass mofo.

@Chaoscrippler: I support the mouth on your concept. Front C is my favorite, however I am not strongly against the claws. The mouth is what I feel sets your sprite apart from the others. If you have the spare time I suggest angling the back claw back because your sprite looks like Krilowatt is surging forward and at this time those claws look like they are dragging behind rather than being hydrodynamic.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I went back to the drawing board on the backsprite, and redid it completely.

I personally like this much better than my previous backsprite. I haven't finalized it at all, but I wanted to see if people agree that this is a better pose than before.

I like that MUCH better Doug. That is easily the best back sprite I have seen so far as it provides the clearest shot of CAP10 and I really like how the 'armor' on its back looks here.

DougJustDoug: I enjoy the new backsprite much more. Seeing the blank stare allows us to see the personality. (I'm curious how you'll handle it with aggressive eyes, if you pursue that as a gender difference.) It's head seems to be turned to one side a bit, but I like it. I have a small chihuahua/rot that does the same thing all the time.

Chaoscrippler: I understand that there is plenty of artistic license allowed here. I like the pincers, (they've grown on me), but I personally will not be voting for your sprite if both male and female have them. They simply strike me as being too far from the winning art. They'd make an excellent gender difference, though, if you haven't already considered one.

Also, the difference in perceived curvature on the claws between frontsprite and back sprite is a bit much.

I've gone and made a female Krilowatt. Its tail is heart-shaped which I always thought was a cute distinction previously seen on Pikachu and Heracross.

-- male ----- female --

Also touched up the backsprite. Worked out the dithering, as well as slightly altered the eye, carapace and antennae.

I lovelovelovelovelove Chaoscrippler's backsprite and colours for both sprites, and general feel (the eyes and the mouth are gorgeous), however, I cannot stand the pose of the frontsprite. =/ It just looks... odd, but I can't quite place my figure on why.

Front A ---- Front B ---- Front C ---- Front D

Because I'm receiving a lot of differing opinions, I'm offering four possible front sprite options. Front A is remains unchanged. However, front B is without the mouth, front C is clawed, and front D is clawed and mouthless.

Likewise, there are two backsprites; one being with pincers and the other clawed. Obviously, the option will correlate with the choice of the front sprite.

This is exactly my point and deserves to be quoted for emphasis (qft!). Thank you for taking the time to follow up on this issue.

Haha, thanks a lot for the kind words, Doug! I always strive to bring a creative uniqueness towards the original artwork with my sprites, which l hopefully makes them stand out in one way or another. With that said, I prefer your front sprite with the rounder eyes and the second backsprite with the slightly more visible eyes. Also, blue shiny option is the most appealing to me (hence the reason why my shiny sprites will be blue as well, haha.)
I have an idea! How about the one with the claws is the male, and the one without them could be the female, that way, both sides of the fence can be happy with it, waddya think?

I lovelovelovelovelove Chaoscrippler's backsprite and colours for both sprites, and general feel (the eyes and the mouth are gorgeous), however, I cannot stand the pose of the frontsprite. =/ It just looks... odd, but I can't quite place my figure on why.
It looks like he's doing a barrel roll. Yes, dynamic poses do tend to be good for in-battle sprites, but one could argue that that pose is maybe too dynamic. Still, the pose is one of the things that separates it from the sprites that simply use Krilowatt's pose in the original art, so I don't know whether changing it would be a good idea.

made some corrections and added the gender difference (female= short antennae)
now: which color is better? darker or lighter?
need to correct some other things?

DJD I like the sea green shiny but make the yellow a bit less catching if you know what I mean. It just seems a bit engulfing for being mostly a secondary color.

I like the backsprite a ton better then your previous work.

@ Doug-Just-Doug

Personally, I though the back sprites were fine BEFORE you went back to the drawing board to redo them. Now, the claws seemed to be oddly positioned considering where you now have placed the head, especially the one that is partially obscured. I would have to say play around with it and what have you so that the claws don't look like they are sticking out of Krilowatt's side or something like that.

EDIT:

I don't think differing expressions between the male and female sprites has been done on any of the official sprites. On that note, I think it is an intersting and unique take on the male / female differentiation. This seems to portrary the male as fiesty while the female is more docile. It's quite clever and I like it.

The shiny is fine as far as I am concerned. Some shinies (as I said before) can look nasty, but this doesn't even come close to crossing the line from "different from the original color scheme" into "eww, that coloration does NOT work." Good on you. That said, if you don't like it, though, then you should consider something else: it's your piece.

@ Chaoscrippler

Given the choice between those four front sprites which you have presented us with, I would have to say that option C will be your best bet: it would be less controversial in terms for whether or not you are stretching the boundaries of artistic liscence too far and the sprites without the mouth look funny (as in wierd).

@ Cartoons!

Daw~

The female Krilowat sprite is so CUTE. I love the approach you've taken with differentiating the male and female sprites by making the tail heart-shaped.

The back sprites... well, there is one minor issue that I am seeing. The claws seem a little smaller than they should be. I'd say make the front claws a tad larger, and you'll probably be good to go.

---

As always, I appreciate the hard work that you guys are putting into these sprites and I hope my comments will make them even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)