CAP 21 CAP 21 - 3D Model Render Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
I went for a halfway mix of the colors, so now it's got the purpleish grey found in #59373e but is a bit brighter as well. Also I like the new animation and I think the pot shaking really gives him some personality. Not sure how great it looks in the sprite render though, but I think it's passable?

DJTHED I think his hat should be angled a bit more. In the reference art, the part at the back is level with the neck.

7c6669
It looks a bit too jerky in my opinion. Maybe the pot could move back down a little more slowly?

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey Yilx, sorry to barge in as a spriter, but since this concerns both the sprites and models - is there a horn on the Mega's back like in your artwork?
Ah yes, I forgot to include that. Sorry about that! The 'upper' spike disappears, but the lower one still shows.

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Crucibelle Texture update

I made a few changes to the texture files so it's time for an update.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw8FAxjo2qD_bVpBaTVkS0dUZTA

Changelog:
  • Added highlights on the top of the lid and the pot
  • Added shades around the edges of the hair so they don't look as flat
  • Added a shadow above the eyes so it looks like the hair is blocking it out
  • Removed the shades at the top of the "gloves" and "pants" (imo they look like pillow shades :/)

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Crucibelle-Base Animation WIP
boxofkangaroos how's this? It can be even slower if it's still too jerky.

http://i.imgur.com/cCT0uHM.gif
B-but... I'm not done animating yet. Why are you modifying it yourself now already?! @_@

I've angled the back of the hat lower and closer to its neck. I also raised the hair ever so slightly so that the animation doesn't cover up the eyes in the final render as much as it did before. I also slowed down the pot animation as it falls back down.

Download

Last edited:

QxC4eva

Crucibelle-Base Animation WIP
B-but... I'm not done animating yet. Why are you modifying it yourself now already?! @_@
Sorry! ._.

I thought anyone can help with anything so we can finish it quickly. Your updates will override any QC I do, of course.

But I still need to edit your keyframes or else it looks like this (or this if I don't touch it at all)

Btw, do you happen to be working on Mega Crucibelle wireframe? If yes I'll work on other CAPS for now. :P

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
But I still need to edit your keyframes or else it looks like this (or this if I don't touch it at all)
Damn. Can't say I know why this is happening... When I reimport the .dae animation into blender it works fine, so there's some compatibility issue between blender's exported .dae and how maya imports the .dae animations. I've tried exporting the animation in other file formats from blender but they all seemed to fail, so I'm forced to keep using .dae for this. Sorry about this. I wish I knew why this was happening. D:

Also yeah I'm very early in the process of modeling the mega.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Crucibelle-Mega Wireframe WIP
Screenshots:

The total Polygon count is at 8,022 (4,268 verts). Currently how the hair is modeled is just one of two alternative hair models for Crucibelle-Mega that would swap depending on what needs to be used at certain moments in the animation, one with asymmetrical hair that resembles the art, and another with more symmetrical, but not completely symmetrical hair that resembles the model sheets for a more neutral pose. This is similar to how most of the bird wings in the Pokemon cartridge games, where most bird Pokemon have two separate models for folded wings and spread out wings.

.obj download here!

EDIT:
QxC4eva For Crucibelle-Base's texture, might I suggest enlarging the pupils of the eyes a little bit? It should help it show up a little bit better and hopefully make it less derpy.

Last edited:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Crucibelle-Base Animation Final
With CAP 21 being finalized, I feel that we should pick up the pace, and wrap up the base form as soon as possible and focus the rest of our efforts on the mega form. Unless there's anything major someone notices that needs to be fixed or changed with this current animation, then this is final. For now.

All I've done since last time was just minor adjustments and cleaning and nothing else.

Download

QxC4eva

Congrats noobiess for winning the sprite!! I added a shiny texture:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw8FAxjo2qD_dVItcGxBOUxBUGM
DJTHED about the pupil, where do you think the pixels should go? I can't think of a better arrangement than the one right now:
If I had to make a 2D sprite I'd probably go with a one-pixel wide pupil as well. =/

---

Anyway the mega looks good!!! Question - will there be bubbles at the top of the hat?

I have some critique. The edge flow of the hip area is incorrect - the torso shouldn't attach to the legs smoothly, instead there should be a diagonal crease separating them (I think it's called "inguinal fold" but I suggest don't google that :P :P). It's also like that at the back but I think it's fine there, the rocky armor suit covers up the shape of his butt anyway. The front might be a problem though. Your edge flow makes it so if he raises a leg, the hip will either not bend correctly, or it bends correctly but the fold will be jagged. I'd also add some geometry for the crotch area or else (with textures on) it'll look like he's wearing a bottomless swimsuit. XD

In the drawing his shoulders are really big, I suggest scaling that up a bit. The hands need to be rounder so that it's almost shaped like a ball as shown in the drawing. Right now it's a bit flat. The bulge for the hands should be more obvious (they're much bigger than the arms) so I would scale that up to maybe 1.5-2.0x the size it's at right now. The fingers look a bit like claws, I think they should be rounder as well. I suggest looking at to Mega Mewtwo Y's model it has the same hands :P

So here's what I think for shape:

and edge flow...

Damn. Can't say I know why this is happening... When I reimport the .dae animation into blender it works fine, so there's some compatibility issue between blender's exported .dae and how maya imports the .dae animations. I've tried exporting the animation in other file formats from blender but they all seemed to fail, so I'm forced to keep using .dae for this. Sorry about this. I wish I knew why this was happening. D:

Also yeah I'm very early in the process of modeling the mega.
Hmmm we use different programs so compatibility is always a problem. It's mostly to do with Blender having so little export settings and Maya having..... no import settings at all. I got told "dude it's programmable stop crying, it's your problem!" but I'm too lazy to learn Python :D

Last edited:
I think the line pupil has less potential for pixel shenanigans as tend to happen on Pokemon-style animation. Besides the wonky line at the bottom of the pot I can't see any pixel problems. I'd say base animation is good to go.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
DJTHED about the pupil, where do you think the pixels should go? I can't think of a better arrangement than the one right now:
If I had to make a 2D sprite I'd probably go with a one-pixel wide pupil as well. =/

---

Anyway the mega looks good!!! Question - will there be bubbles at the top of the hat?
Now that I think about it, what could probably help more is have Crucibelle look more like it's looking straight ahead of it. Right now it looks like to me that Crucibelle is looking directly at the camera. Try that with the original thickness and thickened pupils and we can go from there.

And yes there will be bubbles. Not going to worry about that too much now, I want to focus on the main geometry first, and then worry about how I'll model the bubbles and plan how it'll be rigged and animated.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Crucibelle-Mega Wireframe WIP
I feel like a criminal making so many double posts...
Screenshots:

Thanks for the critiques QxC4eva! I spent an hour or two spending time on improving the overall body shape and 'edge flow' around the waist of Crucibelle-Mega based on your drawings. Other than cleaning up some of the geometry on the hair and repositioning the 'kneecaps', the rest of the model remains mostly the same.

I haven't modified the fingers yet. I just want to point out that the general structure of the fingers are the same as the base form, but they just aren't attached to anything geometrically this time around. It should look fine once it's rigged and starts to bend, and won't look like claws any more.

Download!

QxC4eva

I think this looks worse but any feedback would be nice. :P

The bubbles can be ordinary spheres without any bones I think. Just give it a bend or squash modifier with a very weak power, and randomly rotate it.
Here's a test:
I used the same modifiers for both bubbles but I think it's better to use different ones, so they won't look too in sync.

Also I like your wireframe update! It looks much more organic now, the curves can still be better imo but I'm fine with it. I think the hands need more stretching in the Y axis (so it's shaped like a perfect ball right at the tip) and the shoulders need a z axis stretch to make it ball shaped as well. I think maybe wait another day to see if we spot anything else, then feel free to start the UVs and rigging :D

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
It might look better while in motion, especially with the resolution we're working with. If it doesn't look right we might as well revert back to how it was and call it good.

The bubbles can be ordinary spheres without any bones I think. Just give it a bend or squash modifier with a very weak power, and randomly rotate it.
Here's a test:
I used the same modifiers for both bubbles but I think it's better to use different ones, so they won't look too in sync.

Also I like your wireframe update! It looks much more organic now, the curves can still be better imo but I'm fine with it. I think the hands need more stretching in the Y axis (so it's shaped like a perfect ball right at the tip) and the shoulders need a z axis stretch to make it ball shaped as well. I think maybe wait another day to see if we spot anything else, then feel free to start the UVs and rigging :D
I'm also reserving opinions until I see it in motion since still it makes Crucibelle look lost.

QxC4eva said:
It's not my intent to be a jerk and make this process any longer, but... Bubbles staying perpetually in place on a 3D model would look kind of strange in my opinion.

This isn't my place to say, this fact is totally up to the animators and Yilx , but I think Mega-Crucibelle might just be better off w/o the bubble effect in the model.

Like with Hippopotas, complex particle effects don't need to necessarily be present in the gen 6 models I don't think. 'Just a thought though. If it's not too hard to fashion it into some sort of loop-able asset, that'd look amazing too.

QxC4eva

Zephias that's a good point about the bottom row pixels shenanigans. It looks better without it I think I'll just crop it off.
Here's the new eyes in motion...

About the bubbles, I think it'll be a shame to cross them out without even trying! I mean, we won't know how strange it'll look until we see it right? :P
How about we give it a try then decide to keep it or not? Some pokemon have extra parts or effects included:

That's fair, sorry 'bout that.

Things just seemed a little rushed, so I thought I'd suggest it just in case it became a bit of a strain on progress. That's a lot of good examples though, if that can be achieved I'm sure it'll be worth the effort!

Also the base form looks much nicer with the crop, as does the 1px line of sight. All in all, Cruc's modelling is looking to be pretty amazing!

I definitely think the effects are doable and furthermore they would add thematic consistency to the model. Every goop/sludge pokemon until now has some sort of dripping iirc so Crucibelle bubbling would make it fit in better.

The base animation still looks a tad jerky to me but that's probably part of the tipping jar.

1px is the better of the two changes imo, especially since the 2px eyeball seems to have some jerky top-left pixel in some frames that changes the eyeball shape from circular to something more akin to cuttlefish and octopus pupils.

My only comment about 1px is that the top frames of the eye movement are creating and outline-colored sideways line that create the effect of Crucibelle rolling her eyes back all zombie when looked from afar. It kinda makes it look like the pupil switched from vertical to horizontal.

Besides that I think 1px works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)