CAP 14 CAP 3 - Part 8 - Art Poll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome the CAP 3's art poll! This will be a multiple bold vote which means you vote for as many entries as you like. This is unweighted so order does not matter. Make sure to bold your votes and nothing else and spell them correctly. A vote looks like this:

Entry A
Entry B
Entry C

Any comments that the voter has would go below the votes in non-bold text. Bold text is used to determine what the user's votes are, so none of the supplementary text should be in bold.
If your art is missing, you have probably either not made a Final Submission post or have broken one of our rules, check below for illegal submissions:

Keiran: Blended outline.
ZcX: Cut off parts.
Lord of the Fireflies: No outline on fire.
Azul: Supporting art not linked or thumbnailed, smoke not outlined.
YourFavouriteEgyptian: Wavy line effects and no outline on lava.
DrOfla: Horns blended into background.
meddle: No outline on some of the sludge.
Quark: Under minimum size.

If you're one of these people, please be more careful in future and better luck next time.

This vote will run for 48 hours starting from the first vote (12:01:55 AM EDT).

Contestants

SoIheardyoulikeSENTRET
bugmaniacbob
paintseagull
CyzirVisheen
Steampowered
DougJustDoug
noobiess
the flexistentialist
Solstice
Cretacerus
Doran Dragon
Quanyails
MLaRF
Calad
Mos-Quitoxe
Nastyjungle
Yilx
LouisCyphre
KoA
tea_and_blues

SoIheardyoulikeSENTRET] [IMG]http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy101/SentretLover/CAPfinal-1.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4236774&postcount=534 said:
Supporting Art[/URL]
bugmaniacbob said:
paintseagull said:
CyzirVisheen said:
Steampowered said:
DougJustDoug said:
noobiess said:
Solstice said:
the flexistentialist said:
Cretacerus said:
Doran Dragon said:
Quanyails said:
MLaRF said:
Calad said:
Mos-Quitoxe said:
Nastyjungle said:
Yilx said:
LouisCyphre said:
KoA said:
tea_and_blues said:
CAP 3 so far:
Name: Extreme Makeover: Typing Edition

General Description: The idea here is to create a Pokemon who's typing, while normally considered poor defensively and/or offensively, becomes a strong selling point of the Pokemon itself via help from an ability, stats, and/or movepool.

Justification: There are a lot of typings we scoff at on a daily basis because of their serious flaws, often forgetting about their strong points. For example, Poison is a really terrible offensive typing, but a decent defensive typing, while the Ice typing is good offensively, but awful defensively. Instead of just accepting that some typings will just ruin a Pokemon, this CAP concept aims to take that "terrible typing", and find ways to fix it (usually via ability, movepool, or stats) to the point where the formerly terrible typing becomes the CAP's strong point! The reason this CAP could benefit OU is because a Pokemon who makes a "bad typing" into a great one could find many unique offensive and/or defensive niches that aren't currently found!

Questions To Be Answered

-What does it take for a Pokemon to overcome its "bad typing" so much that its typing becomes good? Are the stats the biggest contributer, is the ability the thing that saves it, does movepool make it a force, or is it a combination of the above?

-How does the typing makeover effect the Pokemon's playstyle? Does the Pokemon become a unique wall that uses its makeover to overcome its typing's normally fatal flaws, does the make over make a terrible offensive typing into a fearsome sweeper, does the makeover make it into a formidible combination of deffense and offense to a typing that brings it neither, or does the makeover bring forth something none of us see coming from the typing?

-Which resistances and immunities are the most relevant to the metagame? Sure, this concept is aiming to have a "bad typing" become good, but part of that will require the bad typing to have some key resistances and/or immunties to certain typings to defend against or set up on, while still having a very unorthodox competitive typing. This works the other way around too, what are the typings most relevant to hit super effectively or at least neutral?

-How will the rest of the OU metagame react to this extreme type makeover? Will Pokemon start carrying moves they normally wouldn't carry to break through a new defensive threat, will some Pokemon take on new defensive roles due to resisting the unorthodox STABs CAP 3 may carry? Or will This Pokemon, despite being a very real threat, not have many "custom made sets" to beat it, being more of a Pokemon that is a reaction to the metagame than causing a metagame reaction?

-Finally, how will this effect the teams CAP3 is on? Will this be the kind of Pokemon who needs a lot of support to become a threat, will this Pokemon be more of key team member to execute another strategy, or will this be the kind of Pokemon that's part of the glue that holds the team together?
Typing: Fire / Poison
Base stats: 95 HP / 45 Atk / 83 Def / 131 SpA / 105 SpD / 76 Spe
Abilities: Dry Skin / ??? / (???)

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
LouisCyphre
Mos-Quitoxe
CyzirVisheen
Nastyjungle

putting my name on top and hitting "post" was

really, really hard

SoIheardyoulikeSENTRET
paintseagull
DougJustDoug
Calad
Mos-Quitoxe
Nastyjungle
Yilx
KoA
tea_and_blues

I basically would like a kind of bulky-but-not-too-bulky feel, with no really obvious feel of physical power. There were a few other reasons for not voting for certain individual submissions, but they're too many to post here.

LouisCyphre
Mos-Quitoxe
SoIheardyoulikeSENTRET
DougJustDoug
tea_and_blues
CyzirVisheen

Azul would have been here, but...

Yilx
KoA
Mos-Quitoxe
the flexistentialist

While these are all some of my favorites, Mos-Quitoxe's really caught my eye for how cute it was! Poison is emphasized well by the lamp, and Fire by the generally warm colors. Great job to all!

tea_and_blues
Mos-Quitoxe
Calad
Cretacerus

I've left some beautiful designs out, and feel bad, but these are the only ones that to my mind really fit everything we have so far in terms of flavour and a neat package. Wanted to include Doug's, but I just don't see Dry Skin or Drought on it - subjective call. I love a lot of designs that I haven't included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)