CAP 3 CAP 3 - Topic Leader Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is the thread for people to announce their desire to be the Topic Leader (formerly known as the mini-mod) for our next pokemon. Do not suggest other people. If someone doesn't strongly desire to be a Topic Leader without provocation, then we don't need them signing up for the job. Topic Leader is not an honorary title. It requires a lot of work and attention. If you are not prepared to fulfill all the responsibilities, then do not throw your hat in the ring.

Do not post here that you want to be on the TL Selection Panel. That panel will be selected after we have a slate of candidates. Candidates cannot be part of the panel. For more information on the TL Selection Panel, see the Process Workshop thread.

This thread is strictly for candidacy posts, and posts supporting those candidates. Please stay on topic.

Here are the guidelines for posting in this thread:

• Do not suggest other people. If you want you encourage someone else to run, then send them a PM.

• If you are new to the CAP project, don't bother signing up to be a Topic Leader. Lurk moar.

• Include a summary of your involvement in the CAP project.

• Make a pitch for why you should be selected. If you can't present and defend yourself, then how can you expect to lead a project whose primary function is discussion and debate? Convince us that you are a good choice.

• Poor spelling, punctuation, and grammar are great ways to look like an uneducated idiot. It's not a great way to look like a thoughtful, intelligent, community leader.

• Even if you don't think you are better-qualified than certain other candidates, you still should consider posting a candidacy. Candidates not selected as the TL for this project, will be on the "watch list" by the community for next time. Don't post your name if you don't intend to be active in the project, even if you are not selected. Like I said, if you post here, people will be scrutinizing your involvement more closely in the future.

• Feel free to post support for any candidates already named.

• Please do not post disparaging remarks about any candidates.

If these rules are not followed by all posters, I will moderate the offenders.

I suppose I shall throw my hat in first.

I started participating in the Create-a-Pokémon Project with Revenankh. I believe it was the art selection poll when I realized that CAP was an actual participation project, rather than just a "Post your made up Pokémon" thread (similar to those "What did you breed" and "New movesets here" threads).

I believe I should be selected because I prefer promptness, so as such I would strive to get the project moving in a prompt (yet orderly) fashion. I also assisted in formulating the hard written process for the project in the other thread. I did so by observing Deck Knight's rough draft, researching the Syclant and Revenankh processes, determining how important each step was, and then assigning a timeline for it. I also have an obscene amount of free time at the moment.

I'll throw my name into the pool of candidates.

I lurked during the latter parts of Scylant, and was active during mostr of Revanankh. I would have been more active near the end of Revanankh, but I completely missed the fact that a new sub-forum had been created. I was pretty verbal during the earlier Revanankh discussions, particularly the Air Lock debate.

I think I should be chosen because I am often on Smogon, and willing to commit time to this project. I am capable of making hard decisions if/when necessary. My leadership skills are also solid, and I have been a member of a debate team for several years, and so understand how to mediate intelligent discussions.

I'd like to throw in my support for Gothic Togekiss.

First of all, he has a fantastic avatar. 'Nuff said.

But in all seriousness, he has been a fantastic voice of 'theorymon and practical knowledge during both of the CAPs so far, particularly during the Revenankh phase. He's demonstrated both the commitment to the project and the knowledge necessary to make this a successful gambit for the next round. No offense to the other candidates so far, but I just think G_T is the obvious choice at this time. Even if some others (who I won't mention, but they know who they are) tossed their hats in the ring, then G_T would still be one of the strongest candidates around.

Also posting to say I'm going to continue supporting this project, and wouldn't mind heading it some day...say ten 'mons from now, lol.

But to conclude: G_T for the win. And if no one else comes up soon, let him get started!

I am well known in this community and have provided a lot of votes when deciding the new Pokemon. I am also well experienced with the current metagame so I know what the Pokemon should be like, and what it shouldn't, if it is planned on being used in the OU Metagame. I have participated in every vote till this day, and I have also become more active recently all over the community. I have suggested ideas on the CAP Project in many threads and I have leadership potential. I also, from experience, know how this project has ran and how it should be run from the days Cooper originally started this project. It has been a whole community effort and it's great to see how you have not put that effort in vain, as I promise I won't either, if chosen as the Topic Leader. I am also on Smogon, almost every single day, even when I am away from my home, I find a way to communicate. This means I can check on the project daily. To recapitulate, I have been on this forum a long time, I also understand the flow of this project, so I would like to propose my name to be nominated as well.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am going to support Dane for TL, i feel he is a very good leader. However, Gothic Togekiss would also be an excellent choice.

well, im putting my full support behind G_T . i remember that i joined during the middle of Syclant, but had been lurking since the beginning, and remember G_T in most of the discussions that took place in those threads. its just that i feel he has more experience with this kind of thing, and since hes been here a while, i kinda understand how he thinks, so i can see his thought process. and its not that i think dane will make a bad TL, i think he will do a great job, but i would rather see this run by someone who has more experience in this kind of thing.
please dont hate me.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Can't say I know too much about the four candidates so far, but Dane gets my support right now for making the only error-free post out of all them.

I recognize that English might not be a first language for some of you, but since mediating debate is a necessary skill for the TL, subpar English obviously cannot be tolerated. Mistakes such as "I'm not a man who make huge-ass post or use really big word," or "and was active during mostr of Revanankh" or "I am will known in this community" cause me to doubt your ability to write words in the English language.

Communication is vital for this project, and I would expect (more demand) the potential TL to display his communication skills successfully in a topic asking for his credentials.

EDIT: Atyroki:
DougJustDoug said:
Feel free to post support for any candidates already named.

Aldaron; I understand what you're talking about and I'm sorry for basically failing that crucial part of the test for topic leader. I agree that communication is vital for these kind of debates/discussion and having many grammar, spelling, and punctuation error is not good to have. I apologize for having a mess of a post above and is trying his best to fix all the problems it may have. This little gesture probably won't satisfy you in anyway but it's a start, and if I'm going to be leader of any kind I must be able to take full responsibilities for any and all actions I take including errors in my speech.

Yeah Gothic, is English your first language? Have you ever been taught to type? How do you expect to make the long OPs required for explanation of the polls and debates that are so crucial to the CaP project?

I read over your first post and decided that most of it could be attributed to a lack of typing skills, but the second post shows a certain, consistent ineptness in your use of the English language as a whole. Do you want lessons? If it helps, you seem to use a lot of random helping verbs and randomly inserted third person speech. Don't do that.

Sorry for the random English tangent right there, but I actually had trouble understanding the post(s). When things go that far, there is a problem.

ANYWAYS

I think I will support DANE. I have hung around and voiced my opinion throughout both CaP polls, but I randomly go away and lose computer access for 2-3 days at a time (not good for a prospective PL)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
English was never my best subject to tell you the truth. I should just drop out of this race now and spare everyone this mess.
Dear GT.

Microsoft Word has a built-in spellcheck.

P.S. You should also always be writing OPs in a Word Processor other than Notepad.

Don't worry about lol English, Spellcheck catches most of the blaarg and there's always the edit button.

Alse Dane I am not racist as I hate everyone equally.

Besides, there's always the old standby "C+P Cooper/Hyra threads for the important crap and revish BLAGH"

As of yet no one has my declared support, but I'm leaning more towards Gothic_Togekiss because he's been around a little longer.

Lost Microsoft Word when my Tablet PC busted and I currently looking for a free download of it. I do have MS One Note if that help =/. I think my biggest problem when it comes English is grammar.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lost Microsoft Word when my Tablet PC busted and I currently looking for a free download of it. I do have MS One Note if that help =/. I think my biggest problem when it comes English is grammar.
If you have a gmail account you could also use gmail, which also has a built-in spell-checker.

Can't really help you with the grammar because grammar in English is fairly flexible depending on style. For instance, fragments can add emphasis. Totally.

Basically if you know what you're doing and why you're doing it, English grammar isn't set in stone.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I really don't think we should be overly critical on the whole grammar thing here. For the most part, everyone has concise typing. If I recalled correctly, Hyra made quite a few typos and slight grammar mistakes as well; It's all human nature.

If you can type well enough to where it can be clearly readable and you can get your points across, then that's the extent of my expectancies.

I'm personally pulling for GT because I've known him longer and he has a good head on his shoulders.

GT's grammar isn't even that bad. Cut him some slack.

If you had this GT, I'm sure you'd take the time to make sure all the posts were done accurately and correctly. Don't be so hard on yourself, you've got seniority, and while the other candidates are certainly qualified, the fact that you've been doing it since Syclant certainly gets you huge points in my book.

"Vote for Gothic Togekiss: get it done since Syclant!"

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I included the warning about grammar and spelling, only to remind people that the way you look in print, is the way you look -- period. In forum communities, our writing is the only thing we "see" of each other.

It's amazing how many organized, intelligent, successful people appear to be a disheveled mess on forums -- solely because of poor writing skills. I'm also surprised how many people make posts that look like a text message on a cell phone -- no capital letters, no punctuation, no attempt at proper grammar, no effort whatsoever. And by the way, if you are in such a hurry to blaze through your unreadable post of wisdom -- you should think twice about posting in the first place. If you don't take the time to write it, why should we take the time to read it? It's probably just postcount++ anyway. Anyone that thinks post count means a damn thing as to your online respectability -- you aren't fooling anybody. But, I digress.....

This is a significant leadership position on this project, therefore it is of primary importance to have the confidence of the community. One post in a candidacy thread is not going to shape everyone's perception of you. But the post should represent your "A-Game".

I think I'm a decent writer, and I'm one of the best spellers I know. However, I do not touch-type and I make a TON of typos. Anyone who has seen me in a chat room, knows how often I fat-finger keys when chatting. Here's a tip for anyone that would prefer to have spellchecking AND compose posts directly on the forum page -- use Firefox. Firefox has built in spellchecking for everything you type into web pages. It auto-underlines misspelled words as soon as you type them. Right-click underlined words to get suggested corrections. Makes life much easier for those of us that have low-accuracy typing skills....

I support G_T for President.

Frankly, i think that Dane can't cut it. Based on what's been said a topic leader has to have given opinions which reflect the general populous. IMHO G_T's done that more than Dane.

Furthermore G_T's been in the CAP project for a hell of a lot longer than Dane. IIRC Dane's first CAP post was Revenankh poll 7.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Gothic Togekiss has my full support on this matter.

Myself? I'm a bit to snowed under right at the moment. Exams, SBP, trades, attempting to mod Dougs in any spare time I get. It all adds up at an alarming rate. I personally believe I am qualified for the job, but I have no interest in actually doing it. Which is a good enough reason not to.

I'm surprised I still have supporters after this whole grammar thing.

4:22 AM edit of speech. said:
May as well throw my name into the preverbal hat, so to speak.

Now personally I'm a man of action rather than talk so I don't usual make large elaborate posts in or around discussions, I am more than able to show that I'm worthy for this. I first began to participate in the CAP project when the idea first began with Cooper. It was fun being in the project regardless of the minor "bumps in the road".

Now I was in most of the discussion within both CAP projects, discussing details and/or generally suggesting things to the TL. I also had the honor of suggesting stat spreads for both Scylant and Revenankh, and even though none of them won their respected polls I feel that's good enough to say I did my fair share here.

I may not be a natural born leader like others, but I can learn fast and after watching how former TL Hyra and Cooper done it, I have a pretty good feeling on how it should be done and the limits of the TL's power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)