CAP 15 CAP 4 - Part 12 - Complete Movepool Poll 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Comparison Spreadsheet for The Final Three Movepools

THE END IS NIGH

EIA EIA ALALA SEPHIMOTH SEPHIMOTH SEPHIMOTH

-----

This will be a single bold vote. Make sure that you bold your vote and nothing else! A typical vote might look like the following:
My preferred entry

Any comments that the voter has would go below the votes in non-bold text. Bold text is used to determine what the user's votes are, so none of the supplementary text should be in bold.
Please post only your votes in this thread. Do not respond to other posts, or your posts will be moderated and you may be warned. You are allowed to say whatever you like in relation to your vote at the bottom of your post, but please do not look to begin a discussion. Keep those comments to #cap on IRC.

This poll will be open for 24 hours starting from the Topic Leader's vote.

When voting, use only the submitter's name! The list of possible votes, in alphabetical order, is:
Deck Knight - Link to movepool
jas61292 - Link to movepool
Korski - Link to movepool

---------------

Below is CAP 4 so far:

Name: Aurumoth

Name: Risky Business
(formerly "Living On the Edge")

General Description: This Pokémon is very risky to play, but very rewarding if played correctly.

Justification: Many of the Pokémon that are successful in OU are relatively easy to play or have great "safe" options (e.g. U-turn). Yet, many other Pokémon look very powerful, but are less successful than they could be because of some large risks involved (e.g. Hydreigon), and some aren't successful at all (e.g. Honchkrow). This self-balancing concept intends to explore what it takes for a risky Pokémon to be successful, and how much inherent risk a Pokémon can get away with. It should be emphasized that this concept is NOT about luck management, but rather, it is about what the user can afford to do given his/her opponent's options, and vice versa.

Questions To Be Answered:

• What is the relationship between risk and potential consequences, both positive and negative?
  • What kinds of inherently risky tactics are successful in the OU metagame?
  • Do risky Pokémon need some form of safe options (e.g. switch-ins) to be successful in OU, or can it get away with having few really safe options?
  • How does Substitute, a well-known "safe" move with nearly universal distribution, impact how this Pokémon is built and played?
  • How do existing Pokémon use and deal with risky situations?
  • Can risky Pokémon be played well in the early game, or are they better off put into action later on?
  • How do different playstyles interact with risky situations?
Typing: Bug / Psychic
Abilities: Weak Armour / Illusion / No Guard
Base Stats: 110 HP / 120 Atk / 99 Def / 117 SpA / 60 SpD / 94 Spe

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Korski

Though to be honest any of these would be good. They all have something to tell us, I feel, in different ways. Even if it's only "ugh we shouldn't have done that".

Korski's because the pro-QD camp is the underdog at the moment, and we all love a close race.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
jas61292

[Anti-QD rant goes here]
In all seriousness though, good luck Deck and Korski. Both of their movepools are finely crafted, even if I don't agree with everything in them.

Korski

I would really like to have voted for jas61292, too, but only one can be on my ballot. Some might be wondering why I'm preferring the two extremes at this juncture over the middle ground (with respect to Quiver Dance), when playing middle ground is what got me the two other wins. I just think that Korski and jas61292 have both made great movepools this time around, supported by realistic and honest competitive reasoning, including reasoning that actually distinguishes them from other submissions instead of saying a lot of stuff that the other submissions implicitly agreed with, anyway. Both of them completely deserve this, and it's about time one of them won a movepool poll in Gen V. Plus, Aurumoth deserves Tail Glow >:(

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Korski

Deck Knight's one is really, really nice to my eyes too, but in the end opted for including Quiver Dance, since I liked that move from the beginning. Anyway, I'm fine with any of the three, good luck!

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Korski why not.

As much as I didn't want the poll to come down to a single move, if it had to be any move, it might as well be Quiver Dance. Also, it's nice when movepool polls can be decided on competitive AND flavor grounds, since most of the time the submissions are indistinguishable from one another, competitively.

And don't think you've snuck your Lucario-Illusion plan past everyone, Deck...

GL to all, in everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)