CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 14 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Our Pokemon so far:

Name: Ultimate Scout
Description: A Pokemon that is very capable of forcing the opponent to reveal vital information about their team members and their moves using various techniques.
Type: Steel / Ghost
Ability: Frisk / Limber
Stats: 80 HP / 103 Atk / 85 Def /55 SpA /80 SpD /110 Spe

Sprite Submissions

Rules

1) Sprites should be inspired by the winning design from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the design; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art design is discouraged.
2) All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 80x80.
3) All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite. Look at the ingame sprites for examples.
4) Sprites must be in PNG format
5) Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 8-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.
6) Use transparent backgrounds
7) Fusions of other sprites are not allowed. All sprites must be scratch sprites.
8) Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission – unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.

Failure to follow these guidelines will result in the submission being disqualified and the post will be deleted.

Sprite submissions for the sprite poll will be selected by the Topic Leader, based on preference and feedback in this thread. There is no process for overturning the Topic Leader's decision. If you are not comfortable with this stipulation, then do not make a sprite submission. Do not post any complaints here or in later threads.

Additional Information

There are 8 possible sprites:
Front Normal Male
Front Normal Female
Front Shiny Male
Front Shiny Female
Back Normal Male
Back Normal Female
Back Shiny Male

Back Shiny Female

In most cases, spriters submit a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites.

You do not have to make different Male and Female sprites, but it helps. Since there are only minute differences between most ingame male and female sprites, it’s not very hard to tweak the sprite for a different gender. Some spriters have made noticeable changes between genders, and that’s fine too.

Shinies are just recolors, so that’s not too tough. There’s lots of people that can’t scratch, that are willing to recolor your shiny, if you really don’t want to do it yourself. Just ask in the submission thread and you’ll get plenty of offers to help.

Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Shoddy, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in the Team Builder and in battle.

Well, here's my attempt at a sprite, so far. If positive feedback comes in, I'll keep working on it, and I'm always open to criticism.

I agree with Nihilist. The old design looked better, it had more of a mysterious charm. The mouth makes it look a bit too scary, rather than secretive.

Edit: @Captain Awesome, because there are a lot of people who thought it looked better, and the rules themselves state that you're allowed to deviate somewhat from the exact chosen design. Besides, the design Nihilist linked to was part of the supporting material, so in a way, it's part of the winning art.

Very much a WIP at the moment. I'm still unsure with the ghostly feet, and the size and colours of the tail. Any opinions?

I guess I'm not the only who did a pre-emptive sprite.

As usual, open to criticism and change.
Awesome pose and good art all around. I'd sharpen the outlines and make them a bit darker, at least on the masks. Enlarging the eyes ever so slightly might also be good so you can get some more red in there and make the contrast more visible.

I honestly think you should lighten the dark blue just a little bit Cartoons.

I love the pose (I wanted to do something like that), but the dark blue give it a very RBY-esque feel, and I think lightening the dark blue could help change that.

There's some stuff that needs work I know, particularly the head is too long, and too fat , and it looks like it's lying down on the front, I'll probably re-do the colouring as well @_@

I agree with Nihilist. The old design looked better, it had more of a mysterious charm. The mouth makes it look a bit too scary, rather than secretive.

Edit: @Captain Awesome, because there are a lot of people who thought it looked better, and the rules themselves state that you're allowed to deviate somewhat from the exact chosen design. Besides, the design Nihilist linked to was part of the supporting material, so in a way, it's part of the winning art.
Artistic license, not complete deviation from the winning design. EoE's final design implemented the 'mouth', making it the design at which Spriters should sprite around. As of such, Cartoon's is the best so far.

Edit: Atyroki's is quite amazing, though I would recommend a more 'whispery' look to the body, making it more 'Phantom like'. Also, the front paw looks like he's completely prone instead of hunching. If that makes any sense.

Atyroki: The tail is is too high. But I like the different pose, and how you emphasized the fact that the rear mask is split.

And I absolutely adore the shiny color, its exactly what I had in mind. People were worrying about it's steelyness, so I thought a gray coloration would fix that =)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Aty, the spikes on the head look too long. I'd make the head bigger, since it would cover the neck a bit too.

Artistic license, not complete deviation from the winning design. EoE's final design implemented the 'mouth', making it the design at which Spriters should sprite around.
I'd say that the mouth isn't that large of a feature. What is artistic license supposed to mean if you can't even change that? Remove the little triangle-things under the eyes? Because that's the only smaller feature you can remove, I believe.

Also, Atyroki, that's a really nice sprite.

Atyorki... that is awesome! I also agree with EoE, the tail is too high and I also agree with Tennis on the advice for the mask.

Could there be the possibility of having it's tail take the form of a fist (sort of like Midna's hair thingy from Twilight Princess)? That would match more with it's current attacks (Cross Chop, Fire Punch, etc.)

I would say hand, but a fist makes it look cooler :jump:.

Overall, everyone needs to make their edges look more faded like in elegies newest picure. Most of them look like normal dogs with masks on.

Well, here's my attempt at a sprite, so far. If positive feedback comes in, I'll keep working on it, and I'm always open to criticism.
Eh, the face is funny, and it looks like a normal dog with some masks on. it needs the fading edges and stuff, and the masks all look just wrong.

Here's my sprite. Line art and some coloring I did yesterday.
The coloring is too smooth for a pokemon sprite on the masks, and you should also give the edges a fading effect. The masks' features look off.

I guess I'm not the only who did a pre-emptive sprite.

As usual, open to criticism and change.
The picture looks like a shrunken down picture. if i were you, i would do an outline, and uncolor then recolor everything so that the coloring looks more like pokemon.

It looks fine, but if i were you i would prolly take off the spikey things coming off of the tail, and make the edges fade away a bit more.
Very much a WIP at the moment. I'm still unsure with the ghostly feet, and the size and colours of the tail. Any opinions?

There's some stuff that needs work I know, particularly the head is too long, and too fat , and it looks like it's lying down on the front, I'll probably re-do the colouring as well @_@
I really like this one. the pose is great, but fade the edges.

Could there be the possibility of having it's tail take the form of a fist (sort of like Midna's hair thingy from Twilight Princess)? That would match more with it's current attacks (Cross Chop, Fire Punch, etc.)
Heh, I actually drew CAP 7 in the shape of a plane earlier (BRAVE BIRD >:0)

But uhhh, I wouldn't do this in the sprite heh

@Tennis: Maybe later

Which is better? @_@

Edit: Fuck, now that I look at it, it still looks like it's lying down ;_;

I might just redraw the whole thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)