CAP 8 CAP 8 - Concept Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Own Tempo is a good ability for CAP8. Why? It's all because of Outrage. Outrage will confuse you in the end and that will fuck over your Pokemon. Add Own Tempo and bingo! You got a great attacking force!

I think that Own Tempo is a good ability for CAP8. Why? It's all because of Outrage. Outrage will confuse you in the end and that will fuck over your Pokemon. Add Own Tempo and bingo! You got a great attacking force!
I would back Own Tempo, except that coupled with Outrage it would make Steel Types even MORE overused.

Thrash, Outrage, and Petal Dance (the three fatigue moves that I can recall off the top of my head) are all resisted by Steel.

I don't think an Own Tempo + Fatigue move user will roll over too well.

Fire weakness is negated on Heatran and Empoleon, as far as OU goes.

Well, it seems right now that the main type of CAP8 is going to be Electric. It has about 80+ votes, last time I counted (about a 20 minutes ago) With 2nd place having 7. =/
Guess we gotta hope on a second typing. That, or a great Movepool. Assuming it's offensive...

I really think we should avoid using "signature abilities".

Magic Guard
What?

Lum berry does the same thing without an essentially pointless ability. Also, you really should not base an ability around a single move. Being locked is what sucks about Outrage; not the confusion. And unSTABed Outrage isn't good either.

Fire weakness is negated on Heatran and Empoleon, as far as OU goes.
The most common move in the game is Earthquake. Nearly every sweeper has it. Those two wouldn't get very far walling.

It's not as much of a "signature" ability if it has two abilities...

Color Change had an obvious relation to the fact Keckleon is a Chameleon, and was with it since creation.

Magic Guard- not so much. It was brought in later, and is a 2nd ability. It's not completely tied to the Clega line.
Same as abilities like Skill Link. While I guess it is a signature ability, it's not "as" signature...
...In some weird way that doesn't make sense.

The most common move in the game is Earthquake. Nearly every sweeper has it. Those two wouldn't get very far walling.
I know. Just pointing out Fire isn't the best option.

these are the abilities which imho have the greatest potential for this particular concept.. i'll provide the justification for each:

Magic Guard
This grants cap8 immunity to stealth rock, spikes and toxic spikes; it also prevents damage from recoil moves, life orb, poison and toxic poison, burn, leech seed, sandstorm and hail. What's good with this ability is that it is viable, whatever type, stat biases, etc that will be chosen even before the ability will be voted upon. current pokemon with this ability: Clefable

Mold Breaker
This is very helpful for an all-out sweeper in dealing damage without having the opponent's ability lowering or negating the damage output. current pokemon with this ability: Rampardos and Pinsir

Shield Dust

Majority of pokemon utilize moves with secondary abilities. Some sets' viability are even dependent on its activation. Shield dust blocks all these, saving cap8 from being afflicted by a status, and preventing its stats from being lowered due to these attacks. current pokemon with this ability: Dustox and Venomoth

Scrappy
Let's make a Normal beast by giving cap8 this ability and a reliable Fighting move for an unprecedented superb coverage. However, giving it rapid spin is arguable. current pokemon with this ability: Miltank and Tauros

Skill Link
This ability had it's time of glory as the answer to the bane that was yache garchomp. But indeed, it grants great possibility, excelling most specially in breaking substitutes. current pokemon with this ability: Cloyster

Super Luck
With high-crit moves at its disposal, cap8 will be bring down seemingly indestructible walls in no time.
current pokemon with this ability: Absol and Honchkrow

Tinted Lens
With this, cap8 could run amok, throwing out its attacks in all directions. These eases prediction in the part of the trainer, while the user now can't just rely on predicting and sending a resist in. current pokemon with this ability: Illumise, Venomoth and Yanmega

Actually, X-Scissor is a "No extra effect beyond damaging the foe" attack, giving Absol only three HCrit moves, if you really want to count Slash. Besides, how many Absol do you see on a day-to-day basis? I'd like to see another 50% crit rate pokemon, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

More like we should save absol for EVO and leave his niche untouched so he has a fighting chance of being voted in ^_^.

Actually, X-Scissor is a "No extra effect beyond damaging the foe" attack, giving Absol only three HCrit moves, if you really want to count Slash. Besides, how many Absol do you see on a day-to-day basis? I'd like to see another 50% crit rate pokemon, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
You're forgetting stone edge.

I'd like to advocate and show support for these few abilities in particular....

TRACE - already demonstrates astounding potential as an ability for the niche it allows pokemon like Porygon 2 and Gardevoir that would other wise be rather under whelming. It grants a versatility and a unique place in the game unparalleled by other pokemon. With the proper Stats, Typing and Move Pool a pokemon could really be crafted to abuse the flexibility of Trace and shake the meta game up a bit.

TRACE is where it's at and is over due for OU Stardom.

MOLD BREAKER - clearly this is an ability that as been sort after and considered in the past before. And with good reason. It opens up a fair few doors and breaks down a few barriers in terms of sweeping potential. Particularly with a solid offensive typing such as Ground or Electric, a lot of pokemon that rely on their ability for any form of survival or evasiveness are suddenly and rudely stripped of their resourcefulness.

I good step in the direction to counteract a meta game that is become increasingly stall based.

WONDER GUARD - this is an odd one for me to find myself suddenly in support of. Obviously there is some concern with the sheer enormity of it effect, but provided its properly offset with a reasonable typing with an abuseable set of super effective weaknesses, it will fall far from broken. But it will give us the change to build a pokemon designed to be able to come in on some rather unusual circumstances. Prehaps one of the most encouraging of which the ability to come in on DRAGON attacks with immunity (let alone a resistance) WITHOUT having to be of the Steel type for a change.

There are many other abilities that are of course very usable, and I would not even mind building around. But these three I feel are the most purpose driven and really to have some thing they could offer and make a difference in the meta game as it stands. Also feel there is a lot we could potentially learn from the addition of these abilities given the opportunity to throw their weight around properly in the OU environment.

WONDER GUARD - this is an odd one for me to find myself suddenly in support of. Obviously there is some concern with the sheer enormity of it effect, but provided its properly offset with a reasonable typing with an abuseable set of super effective weaknesses, it will fall far from broken. But it will give us the change to build a pokemon designed to be able to come in on some rather unusual circumstances. Prehaps one of the most encouraging of which the ability to come in on DRAGON attacks with immunity (let alone a resistance) WITHOUT having to be of the Steel type for a change.
I don't think we should use this since the main typing is most definitely Electric, and Electric has only a Ground weakness.
Unless it gets a significantly crappy secondary weakness by mere coincidence, then Wonder Gaurd should be unallowed.

Thrash, Outrage, and Petal Dance (the three fatigue moves that I can recall off the top of my head) are all resisted by Steel.

I don't think an Own Tempo + Fatigue move user will roll over too well.
Thrash, that's the last one. Thank you. And like you said, they are all resisted by steel, which would make the game more steel centralized unless we created a Ground/Fight/Fire fatigue move, all of which have a steel counter or two in OU.

One ability I've been looking into for CAP8 is Rock Head. Especially with the way the typing polls are coming out. Its really hard to get a good physical Electric-type sweeper, since the main STAB attack they will rely on has about 75 base power. Meanwhile, every other type besides Rock, Flying and Fire has a physical move of base 80 to 100 with 100 accuracy (Seed Bomb, Waterfall, Earthquake, Dragon Claw, etc.) However, all of the above mentioned types get a move of base 120 power or higher, but at the cost of recoil. If CAP8 got even just one of these moves coupled with Rock Head, it would boost the amount of potential a physical sweeper of those types could have.

Some of you might argue "Well, Infernape/Electivire/Rhyperior/Staraptor are still good physical sweepers." (these are only examples, don't yell at me that x pokemon is better than Rhyperior). This is only because Infernape gets Close Combat as a STAB move, Electivire and Rhyperior rely on coverage to sweep, and Staraptor is a hit and run pokemon.

Rock Head could be a strong ability to abuse with several different recoil moves. It also allows a Pokemon of a typing that has weak Physical moves to break out sweeping in large amounts because it can abuse moves that cause recoil due to Rock Head..

I have read/skimmed over most of this thread, is there any particular reason so many people are voting for electric? Because the only thing it really seems logical for is Static.

I have read/skimmed over most of this thread, is there any particular reason so many people are voting for electric? Because the only thing it really seems logical for is Static.
Electric has relatively few competitive OU Pokemon (Zapdos, Jolteon, Electivire, Magnezone), and they tend to suffer from limited movepools. Perhaps we want one that can break the mold. In addition, Electric is a decent attacking type, and only has a Ground weakness (which is a selling point over something like Ice or Rock). People feel the metagame may be bogged down with Steel and Dragon types which makes those unpopular in the poll too.

Griffin said:
Electric is a very versatile type; it's good offensively, and it only has one weakness, so it works defensively as well, keeping a lot of options open.

I like the idea of scrappy, but then again I love gimmick sets. So I would have no problem with a scrappy pokemon learning reversal or flail :P.

Thrash, that's the last one. Thank you. And like you said, they are all resisted by steel, which would make the game more steel centralized unless we created a Ground/Fight/Fire fatigue move, all of which have a steel counter or two in OU.
Did you realize Petal dance and Thrash only have 90 base power? Return is better than thrash in every way. Grass Knot/energy ball are almost as/often more powerful than PD without any drawbacks.

In short: giving CAP8 Return and Grass Knot/Energy Ball would probably be better than what you are proposing.

One ability I've been looking into for CAP8 is Rock Head. Especially with the way the typing polls are coming out. Its really hard to get a good physical Electric-type sweeper, since the main STAB attack they will rely on has about 75 base power. Meanwhile, every other type besides Rock, Flying and Fire has a physical move of base 80 to 100 with 100 accuracy (Seed Bomb, Waterfall, Earthquake, Dragon Claw, etc.) However, all of the above mentioned types get a move of base 120 power or higher, but at the cost of recoil. If CAP8 got even just one of these moves coupled with Rock Head, it would boost the amount of potential a physical sweeper of those types could have.

Some of you might argue "Well, Infernape/Electivire/Rhyperior/Staraptor are still good physical sweepers." (these are only examples, don't yell at me that x pokemon is better than Rhyperior). This is only because Infernape gets Close Combat as a STAB move, Electivire and Rhyperior rely on coverage to sweep, and Staraptor is a hit and run pokemon.

Rock Head could be a strong ability to abuse with several different recoil moves. It also allows a Pokemon of a typing that has weak Physical moves to break out sweeping in large amounts because it can abuse moves that cause recoil due to Rock Head..
Pyroak makes amazing use of Rock Head thanks to Flare Blitz AND Wood Hammer, making two 120 BP STAB moves with 100% coming out with no recoil. It's not going to be Allowed because we've already seen the effects of this Pokemon with Pyroak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)