CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 10 - Name Poll 4

What should CAP 8's name be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently if Atmosfere wins then there will be a poll to change it to Atmosfear so if you Atmosfear fans could get Atmosfere to that stage that would be stellar.

I don't really get Cyclohm to be honest. Sounds like what Zapdos could have been named.

Any name here would be awesome though. But Atmosfere all the way!

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I voted for Atmosfere. I don't want a name change like Atmosfear or anything, it's fine as it is.

Thanks Dan, now I don't know what to nickname my CaP 8, Spiffy or Thunderdick.

Nimbus, we seem to go for weird sounding names like Revenankh, Kitsunoh, Arghonaut etc that have obscure derivations. I like Nimbus, short and sweet.

Yes, for the person who asked, I'm fairly sure you pronounced Cyclohm correctly. If you pronounced that o at the end as a long o then you did. I envisioned it pronounced like this:
SAI(As in PSYchic)-clome(Clone with an m instead of an n)

Im going for Cyclohm. I dont much like Nimbus because it just doesnt sound like a Pokemon name..its too basic, and a real world word. Most Pokemon names in english are a mix of different words rather than a single one.

Given that the electricity on this pokemon is natural (lightning) rather than artificial (electric circuit, electric appliance, etc.) and ohms are used to measure resistance usually in artificial electricity, Cyclohm does not sound appropriate. Either of the other two names would be more appropriate since I feel that the main feature of this pokemon is its cloudy body.

I'm gonna have to agree that all the names are mediocre sadly, but I voted for Cyclohm simply because I don't think I can handle Atmosfere, it's terribly cheesy to me and I'm not sure what atmosphere has to do this pokemon at all besides that it contains clouds? Not that it necessarily had to be related to the pokemon, but Fritz/Spiffy would have been better ;(

Cyclohm has the same beginning sound as "Syclant" and the word looks like a jumble of unpronounceable letters at first glance. Atmosfear at least seems kind of cool. edit - also, I don't see the relationship between the Pokemon and a cyclone, which, as I understand it, is commonly (not meteorologically) used to describe a whirlwind or tornado.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Cyclohm has the same beginning sound as "Syclant" and the word looks like a jumble of unpronounceable letters at first glance. Atmosfear at least seems kind of cool. edit - also, I don't see the relationship between the Pokemon and a cyclone, which, as I understand it, is commonly (not meteorologically) used to describe a whirlwind or tornado.
Actually the Sy in Syclant is supposed to be pronounced like in sickle, so the pronounciation would be: (sick+lant)

Actually the Sy in Syclant is supposed to be pronounced like in sickle, so the pronounciation would be: (sick+lant)
Both pronunciations are correct because these aren't official Pokemon. It's my understanding that most people pronounce it SIKE lent, and only do the SICK lent thing when they learn that that's how it's "supposed" to be called.

Also, there's got to be a better way to do name polls so that everyone doesn't always sound so upset at the end. =/

Really, none of these are very good. As people have said, Cyclohm looks like a jumble of letters (Cyc is a frighteningly complex-looking sillable, and lohm is disgusting to look at and even worse to pronounce), Nimbus sounds more like a dog or a bird than a dragon, and Atmosfere has problems.

Noone voted for my Stormbrass, but besides that, the only name on the poll that really sounds like a threatening, lightning-breathing cloud dragon, is Raivern. Shame this is what we're left with, but alas, life goes on.

Go Thunderdick!

Bull of Heaven

To those of you complaining that Cyclohm, "doesn't sound like a Dragon," why does it need to? There's no requirement that a pokemon's name indicate its types. Fidgit doesn't imply any type. Neither does Kitsunoh. Bulbasaur doesn't sound like a Poison type. Articuno doesn't sound like a Flying type. Flygon's name seems to contradict its Ground typing. Do you see a reference to any type in Rapidash's name? There are prcedents both in CAP and in the official pokemon for names that are not type-related at all.

I think that Cyclohm is the best of the options here, and I've been voting for it since poll 2. As whoever submitted it explains, the name does what a name should do. Cyclohm implies "electric storm," which is what this pokemon clearly resembles. I think that the "ohms are only related to artificial electricity" argument is weak and completely unimportant. I honestly don't understand how Nimbus got this far (I would have chosen Spiffy over it) and Atmosfere just looks and sounds awkward to me. Cyclohm, imo, "sounds more like a pokemon's name".

To those of you complaining that Cyclohm, "doesn't sound like a Dragon," why does it need to? There's no requirement that a pokemon's name indicate its types. Fidgit doesn't imply any type. Neither does Kitsunoh. Bulbasaur doesn't sound like a Poison type. Articuno doesn't sound like a Flying type. Flygon's name seems to contradict its Ground typing. Do you see a reference to any type in Rapidash's name? There are prcedents both in CAP and in the official pokemon for names that are not type-related at all.
At least Bulbasaur sounds like a Grass type. At least Rapidash sounds like a Fire type. Cyclohm doesn't even sound Electric. It sounds like a Flying type.

"Ohm" is an incredibly weak word. It doesn't jump out as "sounding" electric with anything close to the intensity that Zapdos, Voltorb, Electabuzz and Raichu do. Before you played Pokemon, did you even know that Rai meant Thunder in Japanese? Did you even know that until I told you just now? More importantly, does it even matter if you do our not? Raichu sounds electric whether you know the first thing about Japanese or not. So does Pikachu, for that matter, and there's nothing electric in there.

Cyclohm, on the other hand, has nothing of that quality that other Electric type names have. Does Salamence have anything directly draconic in his name at all, definition wise? No. Does he sound like a DRAGON? Absolutely!

Pokemon names are supposed to role off the tongue, and be directly evocative. However, only a handful of people even know what an ohm is, and even if they do, they need to consider it cerebrally before they make the connection. Cyclohm sounds like nothing; no bolts of lightning, no chimeric dragon heads. Just a cloud, maybe. A cloud and an ohm. But at the end of the day, an ohm isn't anything at all if it doesn't sound as electric as a zapping, a bolt, a jolt, or a volt. :)

Cyclohmall the way. I've been voting on it since the beginning. It has Cyclone and a nice suffix to round it off. Usually, it should roll off the tounge like -ohm. So Cyclohm's got my pick. If it doesn't win, Nimbus would be my next choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)