Data CAP ASB Team Creation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As promised, here is a guide on creating your initial team for CAP ASB.

Step 1: Read the Registration Thread

The Registration Thread contains all the little quirks that will be mentioned here as well as most of the basic battling information.

Okay, Done reading?

For Real?

Before we start, don't forget to post up your trainer essentials like this:

Trainer Name: Sample Sam
Pokemon: (Your selected Pokemon)
W/L/T: 0-0-0
Trainer Counter: 0

Backpack:

Berry Pocket:
2x Oran Berry
2x Leppa Berry
2x Cheri Berry
2x Chesto Berry
2x Pecha Berry
2x Rawst Berry
2x Aspear Berry

Token Pocket:
Ref Tokens:
Business Tokens:

[Any Links to ongoing battles here]

---

Alright, here is how to format your Team selections in detail.

All Pokemon:

All Pokemon have natures, types, and abilities. All of of these effects can be pulled from the Data Audit Thread.

Here is a proper formatting of a Pokemon's nature type and ability:

Nature: Quiet (Special Attack increased by *; A 15% decrease in Base Speed [Rounded Up] and a +5% flat increase in accuracy (e.g. 85 Accuracy becomes 90) on an opponent's attacks.)

The word "nature" is capitalized and bolded, followed by the natures name and its effects in parenthesis.

Type: Electric/Steel
Electric: Electric STAB; 50% reduction in paralysis chance from other electrical attacks, perfect accuracy and 30% chance of Protect breaking Thunder during Rain.
Steel: Steel STAB; Immune to Sandstorm, highly insusceptible to toxic attacks, but can be corroded specifically by Acid and Acid Bomb, can be magnetized.

Type is capitalized and bolded, followed by that Pokemon's type(s). Beneath that each individual type and its summary are posted.

Abilities:
Magnet Pull: (Can be Activated) This Pokemon has the ability to generate a magnetic field that can attract or repulse Steel-type Pokemon. When attracted by Magnet Pull, Steel-types cannot move out of the immediate proximity without great difficulty, and can be pulled along by the Magnet Pull Pokemon. When repulsed, the Steel type is thrust violently away and contact attacks have immense difficulty striking the Magnet Pull Pokemon. The effect of both commands lasts for the following three (3) actions.
Sturdy: (Innate) This Pokemon’s body is solidly constructed, reducing damage from an opponents attacks by one (1) damage. The effect is amplified on OHKO Moves, which are reduced by ten (10) damage.
Analyze (DW): (Can be Enabled) If this Pokemon attacks second during an action, its attack has +5% (flat) more accuracy do two (2) more damage. However, the opponents attacks have +10% (flat) accuracy.

The plural "Abilities" is used even if the Pokemon only has one Ability. Ability names start being entered one line below and are bolded. A Pokemon's Dream World ability is marked with (DW). Before each ability the way it is activated (Innate, Can be Enabled, Can be Disabled, and Can Be Activated) should be placed in parenthesis before it.

Formatting Stats:

When posting your Pokemon's Stats, natures are taken into account.

This is the natural ranking list for stats:

Rank 1: 0-25; 80 HP
Rank 2: 26-60; 90 HP
Rank 3: 61-95; 100 HP
Rank 4: 96-120; 110 HP
Rank 5: 121-140; 120 HP
Rank 6: 141-160; 125 HP
Rank 7: 161-180; 130 HP
Rank 8: 181-200; 135 HP
Rank 9: 201+; 140 HP

A Nature Boost will increase the Rank of a stat by one, and will be noted with a (+) next to it. (e.g. a Rank 3 Attack with a boost will be displayed as Rank 4 (+) )

A Nature Reduction will decrease the Rank of a stat by one, and will be noted with a (-) next to it. (e.g. a Rank 3 Attack with a reduction will be displaced as Rank 2 (-) )

Formatting Speed:

Speed is a little trickier to format. Speed Boosting natures increase speed by 15%, so you will multiply a Base Speed stat by 1.15. After that, Round UP. Rounding up increases to the next whole number regardless of the decimal value (provided there is a decimal value, 100 Base Speed becomes 115 and has no decimal.)

Division is multiplication in reverse, so Speed Decreasing natures decrease speed by 15%. To do this you will divide a Base Speed stat by 1.15. Note that this will produce a slightly higher number than multiplying by 0.85. Multipying by 0.85 is not a 15% decrease, it's a 17% decrease. After that, truncate. Truncation removes all decimals after the whole number.

Examples:

Sunkern:

Stats:
Nature: Modest
HP: 90
Atk: Rank 1 (-)
Def: Rank 2
SpA: Rank 3 (+)
SpD:Rank 2
Spe: 30

Stats:
Nature: Quiet
Atk: Rank 2
SpA: Rank 3 (+)
SpD: Rank 2
Spe: 26 (30 / 1.15 = 26.08, which truncates to 26.) (-)

Stats:
Nature: Timid
Atk: Rank 1 (-)
SpA: Rank 2
SpD: Rank 2
Spe: 35 (30 * 1.15 = 34.5, which rounds up to 35.) (+)

Steelix:

Stats:
Nature: Adamant
HP: 100
Atk: Rank 4 (+)
Def: Rank 8
SpA: Rank 1 (-)
SpD: Rank 3

Stats:
Nature: Lonely
Atk: Rank 4 (+)
Def: Rank 7 (-)
SpA: Rank 2

Stats:
Nature: Impish
Atk: Rank 3
Def: Rank 9 (+)
SpA: Rank 1 (-)

Formatting Starting Pokemon and Attacks:

Starting Pokemon and Attacks should all have asterisks (*) Next to their Species and each selected starting attack. As noted above, the word Nature should be Bolded and the name of the Pokemon's nature and its effects should be listed. Here is an example of a properly formatted Pokemon:

Sunkern(*) Kernel Mustard (M)
Nature: Quiet (Special Attack increased by *; A 15% decrease in Base Speed [Rounded Up] and a +5% flat increase in accuracy (e.g. 85 Accuracy becomes 90) on an opponent's attacks.)

It follows:

Pokemon Species (Asterisk for Starting Pokemon) Nickname (Gender)
[Next Line] Nature: [Bolded] Nature Name (Effects of that Nature)

Pokemon Attacks:

Attacks do not need descriptions, they just need to have their names listed. Starting Pokemon's starting attacks should all have asterisks(*) next to them, as these are moves any Smeargle will pull from.

The easiest Dex to get information on attacks up to Level 25 is veekun. They even list attacks by level and do so multiple times if those levels changed over the generations. Magikarp is the only Pokemon better server by Psypoke, as they list its Event Moves as well. Every Level-Up move up to Level 25 from Every Generation is included. Then 3 Egg Moves from any generation and 3 BW TMs are selected. These sections are separated.

Here's an example of properly formatted attacks for a starting Pokemon:

Vulpix:
Ember (*)
Tail Whip(*)
Roar(*)
Quick Attack(*)
Fire Spin(*)
Will-o-Wisp(*)
Confuse Ray(*)
Imprison(*)
Flame Burst(*)
Flamethrower(*)
Safeguard(*)

Hypnosis(*)
Energy Ball(*)
Disable(*)

Dig(*)
Nitro Charge(*)
Incinerate(*)

Special Cases for Attacks:

There are two special cases for attacks, both based on what Pokemon can't learn. Genderless Pokemon cannot learn Egg Moves, so they may select up to 3 moves from their Level-Up Movepools in any generation. Pokemon that cannot learn TMs can instead select up to 3 Move Tutors or Special Moves from any generation.

Here are a few examples of Pokemon that meet these requirements:

Voltorb:
Charge(*)
Tackle(*)
Sonicboom(*)
Spark(*)
Rollout(*)
Screech(*)
Charge Beam(*)
Light Screen(*)
Selfdestruct(*)
Electro Ball(*)
Magnet Rise(*)
Mirror Coat(*)

Rain Dance(*)
Taunt(*)
Hidden Power [Water, 7](*)

Magikarp:
Splash(*)
Tackle(*)

Bubble(*)
Reversal(*)
Bounce(*)

Beldum:
Take Down(*)

Iron Defense(*)
Iron Head(*)
Zen Headbutt(*)

Kricketot:
Growl(*)
Bide(*)
Struggle Bug(*)
Bug Bite(*)

Endeavor(*)
String Shot(*)
Uproar(*)

Formatting Hidden Power:

When a Pokemon learns Hidden Power, the trainer chooses its type and Base Attack Power. Hidden Power is then permanently locked into that chosen type and Base Power. It is formatted as:

Hidden Power [Type, Base Attack Power] (Asterisk if a starting Attack on a starting Pokemon)

Remember when selecting your team that you have 6 rarity points to spend, so choose wisely. You do not have to spend all of your rarity points and may kep them in reserve, however you must select at least 2 Starting Pokemon.

Happy Battling!

I still don't fully understnd it... it seems all so complex for something that is closer to fanfiction than actual comptetetive battling (well done Smogon, you've done it again!) but alas... I'll give it a go...

I've wanted to try some ASB's for a while now, and considering smogon is the only site I can access that has ASB's (oh woe to the department of Education) I'll probably need help starting :(

[if you really want, you can delete this post, but all I'm saying is I was hoping for the guide to be a smidge more straightforward, and I'm gonna have to re-read it a few times...]

I still don't fully understnd it... it seems all so complex for something that is closer to fanfiction than actual comptetetive battling (well done Smogon, you've done it again!) but alas... I'll give it a go...

I've wanted to try some ASB's for a while now, and considering smogon is the only site I can access that has ASB's (oh woe to the department of Education) I'll probably need help starting :(

[if you really want, you can delete this post, but all I'm saying is I was hoping for the guide to be a smidge more straightforward, and I'm gonna have to re-read it a few times...]
Look guy, you've been in a couple threads to say this, but face it... you're really the only person who's had a problem. Plenty of people have been able to figure it out and enjoy it. The numbers may look daunting at first, but it all flows pretty easily once you get into it. Grumbling about it doesn't help you at all :|

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Not true. I thought the same thing. To be honest, the biggest mystery is where the information like stats etc. comes from, which is still not included. Maybe edit in a link to that post in the data audit thread.

EDIT: I kind of meant in the OP. I could just post it.

Look guy, you've been in a couple threads to say this, but face it... you're really the only person who's had a problem. Plenty of people have been able to figure it out and enjoy it. The numbers may look daunting at first, but it all flows pretty easily once you get into it. Grumbling about it doesn't help you at all :|

I'm not really grumbling, just asking for a little clarification. This looks interesting, and want to get involved...

sure, I also posted in the Data audit thread (which I'm going to delete now anyway) but really?

BTW - thx Smash, I think I'm starting to understand how the stats work now...

*on to designing a future team*

one other question: is there a limit to the no. of pokemon you can have? (IE - only 6 max, or can a "PC" box be used?) because I cn see a few different styles of team brewing, and I'd like to do some testing... (though I may just end up sticking with one, it's better to know prior)

Gonna agree that we need a more idiot proof beginner's guide. Deck's guide makes sense to anyone that has been following the project from the start but to people off the street it can be tough to follow.

Gonna agree that we need a more idiot proof beginner's guide. Deck's guide makes sense to anyone that has been following the project from the start but to people off the street it can be tough to follow.
Not really...I'd never been involved with CAP before I saw this, and I picked it up fairly easily.

Guess that means I'm an exception to the rule, but still.

Aight, I shouldn't have been so abrasive, and I apologize. The only point I wanted to make was that you can't defeat yourself before you even begin just because there's a lot of data to sift through. It all looks very complicated, but I had a pretty smooth time once I understood some of the basics.

@Dark Pulse; no there isn't. You can only bring a certain number into a match but you can have as many as you want overall.

And I kinda agree with the above sentiments, I think I'm a bit biased here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)