1. Post all suggestions for Pokemon Showdown in this thread. Do NOT post them in the Suggestion Box!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP contest

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by SubwayJ, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SubwayJ

SubwayJ

My suggestion for smogon pertains to the CAP project, I know that many people contribute to every CAP but we can only make a few each year!

However my idea is that we hold a CAP contest, so people wishing to submit their "homemade pokemon" can!

I believe we could vote on our favourites and recognize the winner(s) as CAP pokemon.

We would of course have to follow all the CAP guidlines (i.e. artwork, concept stats, moves) and submit them all together.

They must also stay within reason and not be overpowered (i.e. reasonable stats and moves) these submissions could just be disposed of right away.

I believe this could exercise everyone's creativity and let us explore the metagame even further than our current CAPs

Please consider this as I believe it would be VERY popular
  2. capefeather

capefeather YOU CAN'T STOP THE FORDS
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

The CAP mission statement is:

"The Create-A-Pokémon project is a community dedicated to exploring and understanding the competitive Pokémon metagame by designing, creating, and playtesting new Pokémon concepts."

Your suggestion does not make sense in the context of this mission statement, and would never be recognized as a source of actual CAPs. This makes it hard to justify doing it at all.
  3. Arcticblast

Arcticblast LOL STAFF FAG
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Popular? Yes.
    Potentially fun? Yes.
    A good idea? Not a chance in hell.
  4. tennisace

tennisace
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

5. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

As capefeather noted, CAP has a mission statement, and you should really read the whole thing. You'll notice a few key lines in it that utterly quash the ideas you propose here and all of which won't change. I have quoted the relevant lines for your convenience.
  6. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

uh how ???
  7. Tortferngatr

Tortferngatr

Yeah, CAP is designed first and foremost as a way to explore how the metagame works. Community consensus is generally seen as superior to the insights of a single individual in this regard.

Also, who cares if we only get a few CAPs per year? These are typically much better-made designs than other fakemon projects.
  8. bluemon

bluemon

no... just no.

soon enough we'll get scizor #2 with a ghost/fighting typing, technician, 140 attack and shadow sneak/mach punch.

and it would take a lot of effort to program all the pokes into CAP.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)