CAP1 - Part 9.5 - (Pre-Evo Typing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that it should be pure Flying. I feel this is the only typing possible considering that Flying is CAP #1's primary typing. Most Pokémon never change their primary typing through evolution, plus their arent enough pure flying types (1 total (discounting arceus)). The only other typing I would go for would be for it to stay as Flying/Fighting, as this is the only other type combo that follows the general rules of Pokémon evolutions, though as stated in the first post, their is no real reason to back up this type, as CAP #1 gets it anyway.

Both of the above typings would most likely fit a CAP #1 pre-evolution aesthetic wise aswell. Im really not a fan of the whole "Flying/Normal" typing idea, mostly because it its been done to much and is a rather boring type combo.

Pure Fighting, this is because most birds aren't born with the ability to fly, so they have to wait 'til get older in order to be able to be by themselfs, although i think ighting is a very "powerful" type for an un-adult little bird so in that case I think Normal/Fighting, would fit the CAP in that it still hasn't gained it's main weapons

I'm going to throw out Flying/Dark as an idea. The Tribal theme can fit dirty tactics (seen from Vullaby/Mandibuzz), and the Prankster, disguise aspect and it being young fits dishonorable combat well - Dark and Fighting aren't too dissimilar, being mostly physical combat, but with different methods. The evolution can then be from a trickster to a more skilled warrior.

I suggest it mainly because Pokemon isn't adverse to weird type changes, and CAP's series could have this as well. Lends a bit more creativity to design and movesets, too.

On the contrary, it makes total sense when you look at the whole flavor design rather than just precedence in typing. Like a couple people mentioned, "the pokemon's quills harden with age". Also, what birds come straight out of a nest knowing how to fly? They need to be taught how to fly.

PS: If you want an example SOMEWHAT along the same lines, onyx is rock/ground -> steel/ground and swablu is normal/fly -> dragon/fly, so it's not unprecedented for the primary type to change.
This Pokemon's first evolution isn't necessarily right from the nest. It can be whatever stage of development we want it to be, as long as it's a decent bit below the current one.

On a mostly unrelated note, I like NDenizen's suggestion of Flying/Dark. Seems like it could have some interesting potential, depending on how we would choose to represent the Dark type in it.

Pure fighting definitely.
I mean, normal/fighting seems kind of redundant, and everything else seems to stray a bit too far from the original concept.

Also, this may not be an option at this point, but if the whole primary/secondary thing is such a big deal, can't we just flip the typing of CAP1?

Fighting means a SR resistance, as well as being able to kill Scrafty, but at the expense of dying to Meditite.

Flying kills them both, but it doesn't fit the flavor, as Cartoons! says it grew wings from when it was young.

Similarly, Fighting/Flying.

Seriously though, what about Dark/Fighting? Yes, Scrafty did it too, but like NDenizen said,

The Tribal theme can fit dirty tactics (seen from Vullaby/Mandibuzz), and the Prankster, disguise aspect and it being young fits dishonorable combat well - Dark and Fighting aren't too dissimilar, being mostly physical combat, but with different methods.
The evolution can then be from a trickster to a more skilled warrior.
But the evolution can still use Prankster, so...Dark/Fighting can be a transition from using dirty tactics to...honorable ones. Or something.

Plus Dark/Fighting is awesome typing.

Fighting means a SR resistance, as well as being able to kill Scrafty, but at the expense of dying to Meditite.

Flying kills them both, but it doesn't fit the flavor, as Cartoons! says it grew wings from when it was young.

Similarly, Fighting/Flying.

Seriously though, what about Dark/Fighting? Yes, Scrafty did it too, but like NDenizen said,

But the evolution can still use Prankster, so...Dark/Fighting can be a transition from using dirty tactics to...honorable ones. Or something.

Plus Dark/Fighting is awesome typing.
Dark --> Flying seems like a bit more of a stretch than Dark --> Fighting. Dark and Fighting seem related, so it makes sense to replace one with the other, just like how Onix replaced its Rock type with the related Steel in evolving to Steelix. Dark and Flying just don't seem to connect as well.

Fighting

When I think of a pre-evo for this CAP I see a Cub or an Egg with feet which wouldn't fit with flying.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dark --> Flying seems like a bit more of a stretch than Dark --> Fighting. Dark and Fighting seem related, so it makes sense to replace one with the other, just like how Onix replaced its Rock type with the related Steel in evolving to Steelix. Dark and Flying just don't seem to connect as well.
You know, I was not originally a big fan of having it be anything but a Flying/Fighting Pokemon (or one of the types by themselves), but I actually think Dark could work well with Flying. As you said, the Dark would make sense to transition into the Fighting, so I like Flying/Dark a lot better than Dark/Fighting. Additionally, this could make a ton of sense if we decide to only give the prevo Prankster (and not Intimidate).

You know, I was not originally a big fan of having it be anything but a Flying/Fighting Pokemon (or one of the types by themselves), but I actually think Dark could work well with Flying. As you said, the Dark would make sense to transition into the Fighting, so I like Flying/Dark a lot better than Dark/Fighting. Additionally, this could make a ton of sense if we decide to only give the prevo Prankster (and not Intimidate).
Well, we would have to be careful to not make it too much of a clone of Murkrow. That's an issue I noticed since my last post. Or, rather, we might not have to, but it would certainly be preferred.

Not giving the prevo Intimidate would make sense, but we would probably have to replace it with a different ability rather than leaving it with just Prankster. Can't say I have any ideas on what to use instead, though, just that we need a consistent number of abilities somehow.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, we would have to be careful to not make it too much of a clone of Murkrow. That's an issue I noticed since my last post. Or, rather, we might not have to, but it would certainly be preferred.

Not giving the prevo Intimidate would make sense, but we would probably have to replace it with a different ability rather than leaving it with just Prankster. Can't say I have any ideas on what to use instead, though, just that we need a consistent number of abilities somehow.
That's true, but I don't think It would be that hard to differentiate from Murkrow, as they will likely have very different stats and move-pools. Also there is always that second ability, and there are plenty of options for it if we do take away intimidate.

Additionally, another point for the typing in general, as I'm sure there will be people wanting CAP1 to get Dark Pulse or other similar moves in its movepool, having a part Dark prevo can actually help make any such moves make sense.

I really wish Flying was the secondary typing since it has no effect competitively and is much more in line with Gamefreak's precedent. If CAP1 is Fighting/Flying, I think his pre-evo could very easily be pure a Fighting warrior cub who matures and gets its tribal headdress/wings as a symbol of adulthood.

Again, I think CAP1 really ought to be Fighting/Flying since we give exactly zero shits which one is LISTED as its primary typing and in the past, Flying is very consistently an exclusively secondary typing.

I guess, when you put it that way. Dark and Flying both connect with Fighting, though, and as they say, if it doesn't fly, has no beak, and has no wings, it's not a Flying-type.

EDIT: Except Gyarados, but fuck Gyarados.

I think the two main options (from a purely flavour perspective) would be the following:

Fighting: The tiger maybe as a cub, unable to fly quite yet and still training

Flying / Normal: The tiger as a cub, but still able to fly, maybe imitating a less intimidating bird. Less fierce looking and not really a fighting type.

Fighting
for the following reasons
On the contrary, the whole point of this Pokemon is to fool people into thinking its a hawk. So why not a fighting type cub that eventually earns its wings, and thereby its intimidation powers? Cubs are also seen as playful, so prankster works there.

Edit: also larvesta > volcarona the attack decreases so an attack stat of like 70-80 wouldn't be unheard of. This could also support evolution as a sign of maturity, hightening the aura powers and decreasing reliance on physical dominance etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)