Pokémon Chesnaught (Revamp Occurring)

What variant of Bulk Up should I do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I'm new here and I want to share some info about Chesnaught, I don't know if this has been answered yet but I managed to breed my female Chespin with a male Torkoal with Shell Smash and the hatched Chespin didn't learned it. I didn't try breeding my female Chesnaught with Torkoal, but I don't think it can learn Shell Smash anyways. Hope this info can help here in someway.

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I want to share some info about Chesnaught, I don't know if this has been answered yet but I managed to breed my female Chespin with a male Torkoal with Shell Smash and the hatched Chespin didn't learned it. I didn't try breeding my female Chesnaught with Torkoal, but I don't think it can learn Shell Smash anyways. Hope this info can help here in someway.
We already covered that on accident. All we can hope now is that Z or an event gives it to him, right? Thanks for the help, and welcome to Smogon!

Zebraiken in the Battle Mechanics Research Thread proved that Bulletproof makes Chesnaught immune to Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, and Sludge Bomb which is basically most of Gengar's offensive movepool besides Thunderbolt (which it resists) and Psychic (which is rare... for now at least). Obviously Sub + Disable and Destiny Bond are still going to be a pain in the ass but if Chesnaught is ever up against an offensive Gengar it can kill it off with Shadow Claw or Earthquake for Mega Gengar.

I just tested it out, Chesnaught can obtain drain punch through breeding(with breeloom so far)
Sorry to be "that guy", but would you be able to get a screenshot? All previous information said he COULDN'T get it as an egg move, but I'm really hoping he can.

Also, anyone know if he can get Focus Punch? If so, he could run the ooooold SubSeedPunch set. With either Wood Hammer or Shadow claw as a 4th move. I haven't seen or ran a subPunch set since early DPPt days, though, so I don't know if it changed in B/W at all.

Oh wow, so Bulletproof makes him outright immune to ball and bomb moves? And here we all throught it would be a negligable damage decrease...very interesting.

Oh wow, so Bulletproof makes him outright immune to ball and bomb moves? And here we all throught it would be a negligable damage decrease...very interesting.
Sure is better than Overgrow, isn't it? Now all we need to know is the move legalities.

Virizion is a less powerful, faster, specially bulky Pokemon. Chesnaught is better compared to Breloom in terms of stats.
Breloom has paper thin defenses. Chesnaught is better suited as a tank. Key resistances to dark, water, grass, ground, rock, and electric are nice. Immunity to sludge bomb, focus blast, shadow ball and aura sphere are important as Chesnaught's special defenses are low. Also don't forget it's immunity to sleep power, stun spore, and spore. I'd go adamant 252 HP/252 Atk.

@Everyone arguing over whether Gengar will use Sludge Wave or Sludge Bomb: Sludge Wave is illegal with Disable since the former can only be obtained by catching a DW Gastly while the latter has to be bred. This means that Gengars (arguably) best set can't run Sludge Wave.

Bulletproof Chesnaught will be able to wall Gengar to hell and back once it figures out whether it could run Sludge Wave or not. Psychic is really the only other option for Gengar and that offers poor coverage otherwise. Although, Chesnaught will still have trouble actually hitting Sub Disable Gengar back since it resist or is immune to its STABs.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It has been confirmed that Chesnaught can't learn Drain Punch and it has also been confirmed that it gets Synthesis, so it has reliable recovery, which is very good news for both tankish and Bulk Up sets. Close Combat also hasn't yet been confirmed to be on its movepool, so remove it for now.

Virizion is a less powerful, faster, specially bulky Pokemon. Chesnaught is better compared to Breloom in terms of stats.
I based it on its defense qualities, mirroring Virizions special defenses. I just wanted an opportunity to say Verizon Wireless, the inspiration for the pokemons name :P

Last edited:
Breloom has paper thin defenses. Chesnaught is better suited as a tank. Key resistances to dark, water, grass, ground, rock, and electric are nice. Immunity to sludge bomb, focus blast, shadow ball and aura sphere are important as Chesnaught's special defenses are low. Also don't forget it's immunity to sleep power, stun spore, and spore. I'd go adamant 252 HP/252 Atk.
how is it immune to sleep/spores?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This just in: Chespin learns Spikes as an egg move.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/attachments/spikes-jpg.2295/
Wow, this fella might make it in OU with its two latest movepool additions (Spikes and Synthesis). Useful defensive typing, great physical bulk, good STABs and power, healing moves (Leech Seed and Synthesis), a great stalling move (the Protect that damages Pokemon that use contact moves), and of course Spikes. Ability to check Gengar, Mega Gengar, and other Poison-types that rely on Sludge Bomb, such as Tentacruel, is another really cool think it has going for it.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Wow, this fella might make it in OU with its two latest movepool additions (Spikes and Synthesis). Useful defensive typing, great physical bulk, good STABs and power, healing moves (Leech Seed and Synthesis), a great stalling move (the Protect that damages Pokemon that use contact moves), and of course Spikes. Ability to check Gengar, Mega Gengar, and other Poison-types that rely on Sludge Bomb, such as Tentacruel, is another really cool think it has going for it.
OU might be a little too much of wishful thinking. Although the addition of synthesis and spikes were absolute godsends to Chespin's move pool, he simply cannot compare to the other spikers of OU. Roserade can now run sleep powder along with spikes, while deoxys is well deoxys, and klefki gets priority. I had little hope for Chesnaught believing him up to be put to the same fate as torterra, NU. Although I had hoped for a shell smash offender, I will settle for a brilliant spiking defender in lower tiers.

I saw that none attack moves go through King's Shield, is the same true for spiky shield?

OU might be a little too much of wishful thinking. Although the addition of synthesis and spikes were absolute godsends to Chespin's move pool, he simply cannot compare to the other spikers of OU. Roserade can now run sleep powder along with spikes, while deoxys is well deoxys, and klefki gets priority. I had little hope for Chesnaught believing him up to be put to the same fate as torterra, NU. Although I had hoped for a shell smash offender, I will settle for a brilliant spiking defender in lower tiers.

I saw that none attack moves go through King's Shield, is the same true for spiky shield?
I don't know about OU, but UU at most. Spikes is too important to pass up. NU is really not giving it credit for it's ability, typing, and movepool.

@Everyone arguing over whether Gengar will use Sludge Wave or Sludge Bomb: Sludge Wave is illegal with Disable since the former can only be obtained by catching a DW Gastly while the latter has to be bred. This means that Gengars (arguably) best set can't run Sludge Wave.

Bulletproof Chesnaught will be able to wall Gengar to hell and back once it figures out whether it could run Sludge Wave or not. Psychic is really the only other option for Gengar and that offers poor coverage otherwise. Although, Chesnaught will still have trouble actually hitting Sub Disable Gengar back since it resist or is immune to its STABs.
Sludge Wave is TM34. Is the TM incompatible with Gengar or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)