Item Choice Band and Choice Specs (Viable Users, and Current Role in the Metagame)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No reason to run other than max speed Adamant on CB Talonflame. Being able to U-turn out of Latias and Latios instead of locking into Brave Bird is far more important than a few HP EVs.

Scizor is still a good CB user. CB Bullet Punch is still solid for revenge killing purpose, and you can sometimes just spam it late game vs offensive teams for the win. That U-turn is hitting extremely hard and any solid switchin to it other than Skarmory or Heatran is taking a lot of damage.

Tyranitar may have fell off as a CB user, but it's still pretty decent. Steel no longer resisting Dark allows you to select Crunch more safely. Tyranitar is good at removing Talonflame which is big for sweepers. Seems like it'd be a pretty strong teammate for Pinsir, since it can also hit a Zapdos as it switches out, putting it into KO range.

Terrakion is still a strong CB user. There are no safe switchins. People love to bring Aegislash in, but Earthquake on the switch puts Aegislash users in a bad position. Outside of Aegislash, Close Combat and Stone Edge is enough to OHKO or 2HKO the tier. Terrakion's speed lets it get plenty of opportunities to come in and attack without taking a hit in the process. Most defensive teams just can't switch in without being 2HKOd and generally have nothing to outrun it.

Infernape has been kind of shit this gen, but it's got solid stab, a priority move, U-turn, solid coverage moves such as Stone Edge, and the SAtk to make HP Ice viable to catch Lando-t and Gliscor. Could easily run a solid CB Set. The only fighting type to get U-turn? (fuk Mienshao) Definitely the only viable one. It's got that nice speed like Terrakion, but is significantly weaker and frail. It could probably be good in certain situations.

CB Azumarill is largely unprepared for, and it's good typing allows it many opportunities to come in and throw around its STAB. That combined with Aqua Jet, makes it a great choice for offensive teams that need a bulky pivot.

CB Staraptor is so fucking strong. One of the best wall breakers, and is good at getting Talonflame or Pinsir to sweep. Even defensive Zapdos is 2HKOd by resisted BRAVE BIRD after Stealth Rock. Skarmory takes around 34% from a resisted BRAVE BIRD. Rotom-w is 2HKOd on average after Stealth Rock by a resisted BRAVE BIRD.

I feel like Choice Band Dragons are hurting with the introduction of Fairy types. Dragonite is probably the only one I'd consider thanks to Extremespeed and solid coverage, but Dragon Dance is generally so much more threatening.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think you run 208 Speed EV's on Adamant Talonflame to outspeed Jolly max speed Pinsir. Then, the 48 HP EV's put you at a SR number, so everything works out.
252 speed lets you outspeed base 110s by 1 point (lati@s, gengar) and u-turning in their face if need be. keep that in mind. Ninja Charizard

Fried Rhys Mienshao is just as viable as Infernape is if not more viable, lol. LO + Regen makes for a great offensive pivot set and reckless hits hard. it also has access to knock off. wouldn't use it with band though.

Focus Sash Zam completely outclasses Choice Specs Zam, as the ability to shift moves is much more important on Zam then anything else, and Sash basically is what makes Zam threatening at all with the current priority meta as it's basically what allows it to kill lol. Besides, if I really wanted for Zam to have the power boost, I would just mega evolve it, now it's even faster, stronger, AND can switch moves.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Focus Sash Zam completely outclasses Choice Specs Zam, as the ability to shift moves is much more important on Zam then anything else, and Sash basically is what makes Zam threatening at all with the current priority meta as it's basically what allows it to kill lol. Besides, if I really wanted for Zam to have the power boost, I would just mega evolve it, now it's even faster and has better bulk.
Have you ever heard of other options? Sash and LO don't hack the damage as well as specs zam does, and this is a choice specs/band thread, not a sash thread.

Infernape's choice band iron fist Mach punch *stops to breath* is worth a mention as fighting priority is still really useful in a meta game that sees plenty of bisharp, tyranitar, and heatran usage.

Have you ever heard of other options? Sash and LO don't hack the damage as well as specs zam does, and this is a choice specs/band thread, not a sash thread.
Then it just shouldn't be mentioned at all, specs is slightly stronger than LO for the cost of not being able to switch moves and making Magic Guard essentially pointless. Mega Zam outclasses Specs Zam in every way possible as well there is just no reason to use Specs Zam.

252 speed lets you outspeed base 110s by 1 point (lati@s, gengar) and u-turning in their face if need be. keep that in mind. Ninja Charizard

Fried Rhys Mienshao is just as viable as Infernape is if not more viable, lol. LO + Regen makes for a great offensive pivot set and reckless hits hard. it also has access to knock off. wouldn't use it with band though.

Temptation to outspeed Latios is huge, but I hate not investing in HP, the extra HP really helps out if a match becomes drawn out which is very likely considering the bulky offense state of the meta.

So for adamant Talonflame there is
168 speed: which outspeeds....?

204: outspeeds jolly mega pinsir which I think is huge

252: outspeeds neutral nature 110's (or positive?) giving you really good uturn spammability

To stay on topic I think choice specs is far inferior option right now, especially compared to choice band. The only specs user I can think of is Latios, who prefers being able to Defog/recover and alternate between Draco meteor and earthquake/psyshock.

No mention of CB Entei?

Banded Sacred Fire hurts like crap, and even things that are considred safe switch-ins (dragons, Azu, TTar) are screwed over if the burn chance(which is half the time, mind you) occurs. Imo the only relatively safe switch-ins are Fire Types, and bulky Water types that wouldn't mind the burn.

Entei also carries Extremespeed, which carries almost the same power as a non-Adamant banded Dragonite. That gives Entei a dual role of a wallbreaker early in the game, and a cleaner late game.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
To stay on topic I think choice specs is far inferior option right now, especially compared to choice band. The only specs user I can think of is Latios, who prefers being able to Defog/recover and alternate between Draco meteor and earthquake/psyshock.
I don't like specs a bunch either. I was asked by 3 different people to include it though, so I though maybe I'll just go with it.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
No mention of CB Entei?

Banded Sacred Fire hurts like crap, and even things that are considred safe switch-ins (dragons, Azu, TTar) are screwed over if the burn chance(which is half the time, mind you) occurs. Imo the only relatively safe switch-ins are Fire Types, and bulky Water types that wouldn't mind the burn.

Entei also carries Extremespeed, which carries almost the same power as a non-Adamant banded Dragonite. That gives Entei a dual role of a wallbreaker early in the game, and a cleaner late game.
I'll add that to the list of requests. If I don't add a request, it is because only one person asked for it or so. Multiple demands will make it so that I add it.

Requests so far - Infernape, Entei, Terrakion.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Temptation to outspeed Latios is huge, but I hate not investing in HP, the extra HP really helps out if a match becomes drawn out which is very likely considering the bulky offense state of the meta.

So for adamant Talonflame there is
168 speed: which outspeeds....?

204: outspeeds jolly mega pinsir which I think is huge

252: outspeeds neutral nature 110's (or positive?) giving you really good uturn spammability

208 outspeeds Pinsir. 252 outspeeds positive-natured base 110s by exactly 1 point.

I'll add that to the list of requests. If I don't add a request, it is because only one person asked for it or so. Multiple demands will make it so that I add it.

Requests so far - Infernape, Entei, Terrakion.
Dude definitely add choice band entei. Adamant banded sacred fire smacks so many things so hard even rotom wash doesn't appreciate getting hit by it on the switch.

It also has stone edge and bulldoze/iron head for coverage along with the coveted +2 priority in extreme speed that definitely bites coming off adamant band.

Let's see. Alakazam is not a viable Choice Specs user. You'll pretty much never want to be locked into your STAB, which nearly defeats the entire purpose of using Choice Specs. Life Orb will always be better.

Rotom-w is a strong Choice Specs user because of solid offensive typing, Volt Switch, and Trick. You should mention Hidden Power over WoW. Hidden Power Fire hits Ferrothorn, and also Venusaur prior to mega evolving which is kind of important. Rotom-w can use Volt Switch as Venusaur comes in for the first time doing decent damage between SR and Volt Switch. The next time, Hidden Power gets the job done. Trick allows it to cripple many common switchins such as Chansey and Clefable.

Latios is a good Choice Specs user because Draco Meteor hits so damn hard, and Psyshock or a coverage move hits anything hoping to sponge a Draco Meteor extremely hard. Trick or Defog bring solid utility.

Keldeo is probably the premier specs user in OU right now. It should definitely be listed as the best. The set of Hydro Pump, Secret Sword, Hidden Power Flying, and Surf/Scald is pretty much impossible to switch into safely. Its main counters Latias and Latios are easily removed by a Pursuit user, and being able to check Bisharp helps it find a spot on many top teams in this metagame.

Jolteon probably doesn't deserve a mention at all. It's way to easy to play around Electric STAB and weak Hidden Power coverage. Jolteon is completely useless against any team with Chansey, Hippowdon, Venusaur, or Ferrothorn. It's easily trapped by Tyranitar, and the Lati twins finding a place on offensive teams means that its hard for it to do anything against offense either.

Gengar, like Alakazam is often better using Life Orb. At least Gengar gets trick. And with the buff to Ghost offensively this generation, specs Gengar probably does deserve a mention.

Let's see. Alakazam is not a viable Choice Specs user. You'll pretty much never want to be locked into your STAB, which nearly defeats the entire purpose of using Choice Specs. Life Orb will always be better.

Rotom-w is a strong Choice Specs user because of solid offensive typing, Volt Switch, and Trick. You should mention Hidden Power over WoW. Hidden Power Fire hits Ferrothorn, and also Venusaur prior to mega evolving which is kind of important. Rotom-w can use Volt Switch as Venusaur comes in for the first time doing decent damage between SR and Volt Switch. The next time, Hidden Power gets the job done. Trick allows it to cripple many common switchins such as Chansey and Clefable.

Latios is a good Choice Specs user because Draco Meteor hits so damn hard, and Psyshock or a coverage move hits anything hoping to sponge a Draco Meteor extremely hard. Trick or Defog bring solid utility.

Keldeo is probably the premier specs user in OU right now. It should definitely be listed as the best. The set of Hydro Pump, Secret Sword, Hidden Power Flying, and Surf/Scald is pretty much impossible to switch into safely. Its main counters Latias and Latios are easily removed by a Pursuit user, and being able to check Bisharp helps it find a spot on many top teams in this metagame.

Jolteon probably doesn't deserve a mention at all. It's way to easy to play around Electric STAB and weak Hidden Power coverage. Jolteon is completely useless against any team with Chansey, Hippowdon, Venusaur, or Ferrothorn. It's easily trapped by Tyranitar, and the Lati twins finding a place on offensive teams means that its hard for it to do anything against offense either.

Gengar, like Alakazam is often better using Life Orb. At least Gengar gets trick. And with the buff to Ghost offensively this generation, specs Gengar probably does deserve a mention.
That's the thing. A lot of what we consider to be good choice spec users prefer life orb!

The ONLY good user of choice specs right now is keldeo.

The meta is too physical and ready for special attacks for specs to be viable, that's why band is far more widespread now.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For my money, the best Choice Specs user in OU is this thing :

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power / Dragon Pulse

I honestly think that the only way to justify using Choice Specs over Life Orb or Leftovers is on something that intends to hit hard, yet also wants to be able to survive a few hits. Heatran fits the bill very nicely, since it's decently bulky and still hits like a truck. It can be a really good option for a wallbreaker if you've already filled up your mega slot, alhough it does receive competition from Kyurem-B Fire Blast is an obvious main stabs that fries most of OU. Flash Cannon is there for the dual STAB and is the best option against Rock and Fairy types. Earth Power gives great neutral coverage and can destroy other Heatran (hence the 4 Speed EVs which let you outspeed all other commo Heatran variants besides the Scarfed one) Ancient Power may seem silly, but it's Hetran's best way to stop being setup fodder for SD Talonflame, and it also deals with Charizard Y if it doesn't carry Earthquake. Dragon Pluse can be a decent option against Dragons, OHKOing Garchomp on the switch-in, and is you best way of hitting Rotom-W.

Here are a few calcs just to give you an idea of how good this thing is :

252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 188-224 (51.6 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 186-220 (52.8 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 357-420 (111.5 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 206-246 (50.9 - 60.8%) -- 89.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 172-204 (57.1 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Some of these are occasionally used as checks or counters to standard Heatran, and cannot preform their job against the Choice Specs variety.

Also, I'd remove Alakazam from the OP. Alakazam is a terrible Choice Specs user for multiple reasons. Locking yourself into a Psychic-type move is a very very bad idea idea, and Life Orb doesn't even come with its usual drawback when used by Alakazam, so you would be much better off using that instead, not that LO Alakazam is common either.

Last edited:
I'd say completely remove Alakazam as a Choice Specs user. It is meant to be a revenge-killer with Sash, a wallbreaker with Life Orb, or be a Mega with Alakazite. Choice Specs Alakazam sounds cool on paper, but since it does not take recoil from Life Orb and it can switch moves, this makes it the better option. Besides:
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 231-274 (32.8 - 38.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 267-315 (37.9 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 317-374 (44.3 - 52.3%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 364-430 (50.9 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
The two pink blobs that give it trouble only secure the 3HKO and 2HKO respectively, but it is largely in your favor. I honestly see 0 appeal in Choice Specs Alakazam, unless it is to Trick, which the set does not. And your set is weird anyways, Dazzling Gleam sucks, run Psyshock / Focus Blast / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power [Fire] or [Ice]. Energy Ball is neat for Rotom:
252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 139-165 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Alakazam Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 286-338 (94 - 111.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
But Psyshock 2HKOes anyways, so I don't think it is a necessity. And don't run Charge Beam, come on man. And you mention you can replace Shadow Ball with Calm Mind... on a Choice Specs set. Besides, Shadow Ball nails Aegislash switch ins. This leads me to believe you actually haven't tested all of these Pokemon. Alakazam needs Focus Blast for Tyranitar when Dazzling Gleam does shit to it.

That's the thing. A lot of what we consider to be good choice spec users prefer life orb!

The ONLY good user of choice specs right now is keldeo.

The meta is too physical and ready for special attacks for specs to be viable, that's why band is far more widespread now.
I wouldn't say Keldeo is the only good Specs user, though it's clearly the best. Rotom-w and Latios are both more than solid with Choice Specs. The Specs user that are good are the ones with ways around common special walls of the tier. Keldeo hits Venusaur with Hp Flying and Chansey/Blissey/Tyranitar with its STAB Secret Sword. Latios has a 130 BP move that will OHKO a lot of what doesn't resist it, has Psyshock for Chansey, Venusaur and Fairies, Surf/EQ for coverage on Tyranitar and Heatran, and finally Trick to beat the rest and cripple something when its necessary or more useful to do so. Rotom-w hits harder than you'd think for a mon primarily considered defensive. Specs Volt Switch is doing more than chip damage to switch-ins, and Rotom-w's Hydro Pump isn't much weaker than Keldeo's. Rotom-w can also maintain good bulk with its Specs set and still check things like Talonflame, Pinsir, Landorus-T etc..

Return on talonflame? Choice specs alakazam? Sharpedo? Waterfall Dragonite? Return over double edge on staraptor? Kingdra as a specs user but no fucking keldeo? Threads like these are why a VR forum was created. Absolutely no metagame knowledge and a refusal to remove things deemed ridiculous by knowledgeable players.

This post is borderline flaming and I should really mind my tone.

Last edited by a moderator:
For my money, the best Choice Specs user in OU is this thing :

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 HP / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power / Dragon Pulse

I honestly think that the only way to justify using Choice Specs over Life Orb or Leftovers is on something that intends to hit hard, yet also wants to be able to survive a few hits. Heatran fits the bill very nicely, since it's decently bulky and still hits like a truck. It can be a really good option for a wallbreaker if you've already filled up your mega slot, alhough it does receive competition from Kyurem-B Fire Blast is an obvious main stabs that fries most of OU. Flash Cannon is there for the dual STAB and is the best option against Rock and Fairy types. Earth Power gives great neutral coverage and can destroy other Heatran (hence the 4 Speed EVs which let you outspeed all other commo Heatran variants besides the Scarfed one) Ancient Power may seem silly, but it's Hetran's best way to stop being setup fodder for SD Talonflame, and it also deals with Charizard Y if it doesn't carry Earthquake. Dragon Pluse can be a decent option against Dragons, OHKOing Garchomp on the switch-in, and is you best way of hitting Rotom-W.

Here are a few calcs just to give you an idea of how good this thing is :

252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 188-224 (51.6 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 186-220 (52.8 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 357-420 (111.5 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 206-246 (50.9 - 60.8%) -- 89.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 172-204 (57.1 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Some of these are occasionally used as checks or counters to standard Heatran, and cannot preform their job against the Choice Specs variety.

Also, I'd remove Alakazam from the OP. Alakazam is a terrible Choice Specs user for multiple reasons. Locking yourself into a Psychic-type move is a very very bad idea idea, and Life Orb doesn't even come with its usual drawback when used by Alakazam, so you would be much better off using that instead, not that LO Alakazam is common either.
But this isn't worth running. Heatran doesn't even match up favorably against the majority of the Pokemon you listed and the ones it doesn't match favorably against, it doesn't exactly have the advantage either.

Conk wins through drain punch, landorus through earth power, tyranitar through earthquake (and possibly mega vensaur). Latias doesn't have any business staying in on rattan so it wouldn't switch in nor stay in.

Specs heatran just seems unviable IMO.

I wouldn't say Keldeo is the only good Specs user, though it's clearly the best. Rotom-w and Latios are both more than solid with Choice Specs. The Specs user that are good are the ones with ways around common special walls of the tier. Keldeo hits Venusaur with Hp Flying and Chansey/Blissey/Tyranitar with its STAB Secret Sword. Latios has a 130 BP move that will OHKO a lot of what doesn't resist it, has Psyshock for Chansey, Venusaur and Fairies, Surf/EQ for coverage on Tyranitar and Heatran, and finally Trick to beat the rest and cripple something when its necessary or more useful to do so. Rotom-w hits harder than you'd think for a mon primarily considered defensive. Specs Volt Switch is doing more than chip damage to switch-ins, and Rotom-w's Hydro Pump isn't much weaker than Keldeo's. Rotom-w can also maintain good bulk with its Specs set and still check things like Talonflame, Pinsir, Landorus-T etc..
Latios' viability rides on his ability to lure heatran with earthquake and also as a fast defogger. Where is there room for choice specs? Last gen definitely but now, Latios doesn't have the luxury of specs, especially since Draco meteor and psyshock are seen coming from a mile away.

Also defensive rotom with specs sounds stupid as well. Why would you run specs when defensive rotom appreciate having will O wisp, pain split, and lefties (or chestorest) as part of its defensive repertoire. And if rotom goes offensive it far more appreciates a scarf for vast volt switches.

For every good thread there is, there is someone like you. Congrats, cocky dickhead.
Actually, I kinda agree with him. This thread has a lot of things that anybody who's tested anything would know is pretty unviable (note: unviable doesn't mean ineffective, just that you shouldn't use it because there are more effective things out there). The sooner we correct those, the better.

Bands do exactly 2 things right now, allow fast/priority mons to hit hard enough to reliably revenge kill, or allow strong mons to wall break.

For that reason, my favorite bander is Dragonite. Espeed can revenge kill or clean, and outrage can break pretty much anything. Coverage moves optional.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But this isn't worth running. Heatran doesn't even match up favorably against the majority of the Pokemon you listed and the ones it doesn't match favorably against, it doesn't exactly have the advantage either.

Conk wins through drain punch, landorus through earth power, tyranitar through earthquake (and possibly mega vensaur). Latias doesn't have any business staying in on rattan so it wouldn't switch in nor stay in.

Specs heatran just seems unviable IMO.
No, standard Heatran loses against these Pokemon. Not Specs Heatran. The entire point of those calcs was to show that Tyranitar, Conkeldurr, Landorus, and Mega Venusaur cannot switch into SpecsTran, even though they would counter it normally. All of these besides MVenusaur are outsped by Heatran, and Conkeldurr cannot OHKO Heatran with Mach Punch. And good luck KOing Heatran with Drain Punch / Earth Power / EQ / whatever when you've been KO'd yourself.
Venusaur can outspeed Heatran, but unless it's Adamant with max Attack, which is almost never seen, cannot OHKO it with Earthquake. Same for Latias. Although I should have set the calc against Latios, because it's far more likely to have Earthquake than Latias, but my point still stands. SpecsTran does not check these Pokemon, but it has the advantage over regular Hetran to not be countered by them. Specs Heatran can defeat likely switch ins. That is what I was trying to prove with these calcs.

Plus, Specs Hetran is on the official analysis page, so, if you think it's unviable, Smogon disagrees.

Last edited:

The choice band - one of the hardest items to use. Gives an extreme 1.5x boost to physical attacks, but only lets the user use one move, unless switched out.

Role in the metagame:

Choice band is an incredible item that can change a match completely. Most users of the item already carry incredible speed, or have access to a priority move. Choice Band works well with STAB, and users such as Scizor with Technician get such a boost that getting OHKO's are nothing as much special. Although some users may want to use a scarf (looks at heracross...), but will greatly appreciate an incredible boost to their already high attack stat. When using a banded user with decent speed, adding a jolly nature is the best idea to look towards to, as it gives them a strong attack that may move first most of the time. Although it is not common, banded users can always use ninjask baton pass support.

Viable Users (Bolded pokemon stand out more):

Terrakion
Gyarados
Scizor
Excadrill
Machamp
Garchomp
Heracross
Sharpedo
Haxorus
Azumarill

Are there any missed? Let me know.

Usable Band Sets

The Classic Scizor.

Scizor
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP, 252 Atk, 8 SpDef
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Pursuit / Knock Off
- Superpower

Choice Band Haxorus

Haxorus
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail / Aqua Tail / Dragon Claw

Choice Band Sharpedo

Sharpedo
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

That fucking Talonflame

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn
- WoW/Tailwind REMOVE RETURN PLS

Choice Band BUNNYthing (Azumarill)

Azumarill
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP, 252 Atk, 8 Spd
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower / Knock Off

Choice Band Staraptor

Staraptor
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
- Brave Bird
- Double Edge
- Close Combat
- U-Turn

Choice Band Dragonite

Dragonite
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def
- Outrage
- Extremespeed
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Current Conclusion: Choice Band is easily my favorite choice item. Please give comments on this, and tell me more viable users. If I deem them correct, I will add them to the list.

Now - The Choice Specs

Add Keldeo.

Usable Specs Sets:

Choice Specs Jolteon.

Jolteon
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch
- HP Ice

Trick or Treat?

Rotom-W
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 220 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 36 HP
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- WoW

Choice Specs Gengar

Gengar
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick / Destiny Bond

Choice Specs Kingdra

Kingdra
Ability: Sniper/Swift Swim
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Flash Cannon

Conclusion: I AM NOT DONE YET. I AM STILL TAKING REQUESTS AND IDEAS.
**************I will add to this later***************

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)