Circle of Legends [Online Competition]

M-Diancie looks a good check for the OP 'mons like Rayquaza, Darkrai or Primal Groudon (if you play well, obviously lol).
In rotation the check's function work better than single since with the rotation you don't lose a turn like in single.

I think a wellplayed choice scarfer can be very vulable in this meta, with lots of somewhat frailer pokemon sitting in the 90-130 speed tier (especially darkrai). A choice-locked pokemon must have a stronghitting stab move with great coverage though, as being locked into the wrong move will be plain suicide. Kyurem-W and Xerneas (Although losing GeoXern will be a big price to pay) seems like the best candidates to me. Any thoughts?
Scarfed Zekrom

Scarfed Zekrom
Well, maybe. The downside is that its STABs doesn't have the best coverage... Xerneas for dragon moves, while its electric moves are met by primal groudon and all the dragon types. If you can predict correctly, it might be good, but over 20-30 battles, I think it will screw you up several times though.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I dunno how well Mega Diancie can counter Mega Rayquaza. Ray can OHKO M-Diancie Earthquake (guaranteed) or Aqua Tail (75% chance), and Jolly / Naive outspeed M-Diancie...

I think Diancie would be best used as a non-mega Trick Room setter, it can even run Gravity and let Groudon wreck with both up. Be prepared for this! it worked wonders in the Doubles comps with Cres coz of levitate, but any Trick Room + Gravity user will work coz you can rotate to Groudon straight away and spam Precipice Blades. Diancie also gets Heal Bell to help against Dark Void and other things...

I think Uxie could be cool here as the only mon with access to Yawn. I learned the hard way in the last Rotations comp (Eevee Friendly) that it's really annoying since you either have to switch (which is not what you wanna do in rotations) or let something sleep. He also gets screens so that's always good

Jirachi is also something I wanna look into as only one of two users of Wish (the other being Latias but she won't be able to live too many hits from stuff like M-Ray / GeoXern etc. to use it as well). The plain old support set of Wish, T-Wave, Iron Head and [filler] (maybe something like Cosmic Power or Doom Desire) would be cool imo.

Toxic is also something to look out for. Since rotating =/= switching the Toxic damage continues to rack up. However cleric support will probably be a thing coz of Darkrai so maybe it won't be as potent as I'm thinking...

Choice attackers aren't something I'd recommend in Rotations (except maybe Banded Groudon with Trick Room + Gravity support) since they're too easy to exploit without being able to switch out and reset what move you're locked into..

People keep mentioning 'Primal' Groudon and Kyogre. These guys won't be as good as their regular formes in this competition due to the way their Primal abilities work in rotations. As Jibaku already explained, they don't activate when rotating in and they actually deactivate (unlike normal weather) when rotated out, so if you lead with them and get their Primal Weather activated, you'll only be able to make use of it until you rotate out and it will go away. Due to this, I seriously think Choice Band (or Life Orb / Earth Plate if you want flexibility) Groudon will be the new thing over its Primal as you can spam Precipice Blades with Trick Room and Gravity set up...

Well, maybe. The downside is that its STABs doesn't have the best coverage... Xerneas for dragon moves, while its electric moves are met by primal groudon and all the dragon types. If you can predict correctly, it might be good, but over 20-30 battles, I think it will screw you up several times though.
I actually think Jirachi could be very useful with Serene Grace iron head

Yeah I dunno how well Mega Diancie can counter Mega Rayquaza.
I don't know too.
Also because I never said M-Diancie is a M-Rayquaza counter. I said M-Diancie can check Rayquaza.
252+ Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 165-195 (68.4 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 362-428 (103.1 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Do you need an explanation of Check and Counter terms?
EDIT: Oh, ok, I notice now it was you Cant Say who wrote the post. I suppose you don't need my explanations. I did not want be rough. Sorry, my bad.

Then, M-Diancie stops Darkrai thanks to Magic Bounce.
However I understand that Mewtwo or Rayquaza are more inviting and powerful than Diancie. Mine it's just an idea, not even me use Diancie, I'm gonna use Mewtwo-x for this tournament.

Last edited:
I don't know too.
Also because I never said M-Diancie is a M-Rayquaza counter. I said M-Diancie can check Rayquaza.
252+ Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 165-195 (68.4 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 362-428 (103.1 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Do you need an explanation of Check and Counter terms?

Then, M-Diancie stops Darkrai thanks to Magic Bounce.
However I understand that Mewtwo or Rayquaza are more inviting and powerful than Diancie. Mine it's just an idea, not even me use Diancie, I'm gonna use Mewtwo-x for this tournament.
That escalated quickly... if you really wanna argue about it, he never said that you said it ;)

Personally, I don't think Mega diancie looks good at all, except maybe as a trick room setter. It is frailer than other setters, but in return, it practically holds a lum berry and a mental herb at the same time with the threat of mega evolution, which also opens up for another item.

Last edited:
Hmm, That makes me think it would be a good scarf user. Kind of like how scarf Togekiss works in regular rotations trying to get free damage off.
Exactly what I was thinking:)

252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 218-260 (52 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With scarf, Jirachi should go first before and after Xerneas's Geomancy

That escalated quickly... if you really wanna argue about it, he never said that you said it... :)

Personally, I don't think Mega diancie looks good at all, except maybe as a trick room setter. It is frailer than other setters, but in return, it practically holds a lum berry and a mental herb at the same time with the threat of mega evolution, which also opens up for another item.
Only me had told about Diancie and Rayquaza. Anyway I did not notice the fact that Cant Say wrote that post. lol
My bad, I did not want be rough with the "Do you need an explanation of Check and Counter terms?". Mine was really a question.

Only me had told about Diancie and Rayquaza. Anyway I did not notice the fact that Cant Say wrote that post. lol
My bad, I did not want be rough with the "Do you need an explanation of Check and Counter terms?". Mine was really a question.
Lol ok, my bad too then, I immediately assumed the rough-mode xD

On-topic: The more that I think about it, the more do I like can't says idea of TR-Diancie + Non-Primal Groudon. They have surprisingly good offensive synergy as well, as moonblast and Diamond storm covers the flying targets that Groudon can't beat (with a band, that is). Groudon also makes the opponent think twice before firing off water moves at Diancie, ith the threat off primal reversion.

Last edited:
Also, Genesect might see some use. Bug takes care of the dark threats like darkrai while steel type takes care of Xerneas.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I haven't posted in a while, lol.

I'm glad there's finally another competition (aside from the VGC ones) 'cause it's just been so long and I always love when the community gets together to discuss strategies. I was hoping for a singles one but I guess we haven't really had a rotations one yet so that's all fair. I'm absolutely terrible at Rotations (it's something I just couldn't get into) but I guess if I'm not too pressured by winning I can have more fun with it. I think this will be a fun meta just due to the fact it's all legendaries, which means a lot of Rotations staples will be out. I'm definitely using the Keldeo I recently got in a giveaway, and Diancie and pretty much all of the event mons I never get to use in anything.

Any good combinations anyone has come up with so far? I notice we've mentioned individual Pokemon but not so much combinations, although Diancie Gravity + Groudon seems like a good one. I think Primal Groudon will still be used by some who need the Fire type, but for Kyogre I'm expecting it to be mostly regular.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Groudon also makes the opponent think twice before firing off water moves at Diancie, ith the threat off primal reversion.
Like I said earlier, Groudon's Desolate Land deactivates when he rotates out and won't come back when he rotates in, so Diancie won't be able to take advantage of the immunity to Water moves.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
How good would dialga be in this meta? He's usually a good pick in most of these legendary tournaments, and if you give it an air balloon but hide him in the back, the opponent won't see the air balloon message.

Like I said earlier, Groudon's Desolate Land deactivates when he rotates out and won't come back when he rotates in, so Diancie won't be able to take advantage of the immunity to Water moves.
Yeah, I was thinking more in the lines off leading with Diancie to set up trick room, at which point Groudon hasn't revealed its ability yet and threatens to rotate in. Not that good players are gonna fall for it anyways :P

Ok I was just working on my team and I thought of this set:
Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 20 Def / 240 SpA / 248 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Iron Tail
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot / Psychic / Knock Off / Rock Polish

The EVs are just to out speed base 100s because there are not very many base 101s to tie with and the Defence EVs let you live a Jolly Mega Ray Dragon's Accent without a boosting item. Anyway Landorus hits a lot of stuff that I think would be really common in this game mode. HP Ice OHKOs Mega Ray when its weather is gone and Iron Tail hits Xerneas harder than anything else because of the boosts Xerneas gets from Geomancy, it doesn't always OHKO unfortunately even with max investment and the accuracy is kinda bad. Earth Power is required because its a Landorus-I and the last move is a toss up based on the team. Anyway what do you guys think?

Ok I was just working on my team and I thought of this set:
Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 20 Def / 240 SpA / 248 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Iron Tail
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot / Psychic / Knock Off / Rock Polish

The EVs are just to out speed base 100s because there are not very many base 101s to tie with and the Defence EVs let you live a Jolly Mega Ray Dragon's Accent without a boosting item. Anyway Landorus hits a lot of stuff that I think would be really common in this game mode. HP Ice OHKOs Mega Ray when its weather is gone and Iron Tail hits Xerneas harder than anything else because of the boosts Xerneas gets from Geomancy, it doesn't always OHKO unfortunately even with max investment and the accuracy is kinda bad. Earth Power is required because its a Landorus-I and the last move is a toss up based on the team. Anyway what do you guys think?
I really don't like the idea of Landorus for Xerneas.
252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 307-363 (96.2 - 113.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

But Jirachi on the other hand can't be touched by Xerneas and Serene Grace iron head has 60% chance to flinch it and kills it in two hits. Max speed Jirachi is already faster than common Xerneas but scarf might aid in that. There are also options like Hidden Ability Ho-Oh or Dialga.

Last edited:
I really don't like the idea of Landorus for Xerneas.
252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 307-363 (96.2 - 113.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

But Jirachi on the other hand can't be touched by Xerneas and Serene Grace iron head has 60% chance to flinch it and kills it in two hits. Max speed Jirachi is already faster than common Xerneas but scarf might aid in that. There are also options like HA Dialga.
It wasn't supposed to be for Xerneas it just helps that it has something to hit it

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I'm assuming you're using level 100 for these EV spreads since this competition auto-scales to 100, but keep in mind that HP Ice from Naive Landorus-I only has about a 30% chance to OHKO no Life Orb Mega Ray outside of Strong Winds (and if it has LO then Lando is dead anyway). A well played Mega Ray is also probably a little more likely to have its weather up than the Primals since it can choose when to Mega Evolve and perhaps attempt a full late-game sweep without rotating out, so there's also that factor to keep in mind (I know that's not a guarantee though). I probably wouldn't want to rely on Landorus to take on Mega Ray personally (maybe Shuca Dialga or Xerneas), though Landorus itself isn't looking like something I want to try in general so I'm a little biased there. Rock Polish actually could be kinda interesting though, just that you're still revenged easily by a +2 Mega Ray/Ekiller so you'd want to be careful around those two.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
PSA: Shaymin-Sky will not work in this competition! When you attempt to place a Shaymin-Sky into your PC in-game (this includes the Battle Box) it will revert to Land Forme; there's no way to legally play Shaymin-S in here. rip the perfect Kyogre counter ;_;7

PSA: Shaymin-Sky will not work in this competition! When you attempt to place a Shaymin-Sky into your PC in-game (this includes the Battle Box) it will revert to Land Forme; there's no way to legally play Shaymin-S in here. rip the perfect Kyogre counter ;_;7
Yeah thats stupid functionality, but Kyogre counter?
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Primal Kyogre: 320-377 (79.2 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Primal Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Shaymin-S: 412-488 (101.9 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah perhaps not. I was thinking Sash but then you have to hit Seed Flare twice, and that's assuming it isn't Scarfed :/ Moot point either way

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)