Pokémon Clawitzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's starting to become a let down to me, because a lot of these new pokemon seemed to have higher stats than they actually have. Now with these updated stats it seems to be completely out-classed by mega blastoise. Another example of let down pokemon is Zygrade. Poor stats and known movepool.

If you compare the movepool (also considering with Mega Launcher) of both pokemon, you can see that Blastoise's movepool is shorter, while Clawitzer has more stuff like Dragon Pulse, Aura Sphere, Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast and U-Turn.
Blastoise has access to both Dragon Pulse and Aura Sphere, through breeding with Clawitzer funnily enough. Sludge Bomb is a definite argument though since it hits quite a few things Blastoise doesn't.

Meh, seems like a powerful UU choice for a tank with access to Mega Launcher and moves like Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse and Water Pulse (not sure if stronger than Surf with that ability?), if you maximise its HP and SpA it could become quite the threat. It's obviously not gonna cut it in Standard - the OU metagame requires more than just good bulk and firepower (just ask Snorlax or Zapdos) - but in UU it could be a worthy tank that has the bulk to brush off resisted and weaker neutral hits along with the firepower to heavily damage its checks, unlike its bulkier competitors such as Suicune.

I don't think anybody could call it a bad Pokemon by any means, but all in all its nothing particularly outstanding, despite its massive Special Attack stat. It's just offensively and defensively outclassed by Mega Blastoise, Keldeo and (if it is allowed in OU now that rain is nerfed) Manaphy, the former having better all-round stats and rapid spin, the second having its near-unresisted STABs and massive power, and latter having superior bulk and Tail Glow.

Last edited:
As for the comparison with mega-blastoise. M-toise fills the mega evo slot, Clawitzer doesn't. So in some cases clawitzer maybe the better option (depending on what set you run on M-tiose).

I think U-turn is a huge asset even for testing out, in genIV i wanted to test a slow U-turner to take a hit then switch into a glass-cannon, essentially giving the glass cannon a free switch in. I only tested vespiquen (LOL) it mainly died due to its typing, but with a better typing and stats(IIRC) the concept might work. So I theorise that this poke will have an interesting niche as a supporter of glass-cannon sweepers, mega or normal. Its coverage could possibly used to scare or clean away counters of the sweeper its protecting.

Does mega launcher effect hydro pump or focus miss.

The latter seems like it would, being an unnamed aura move

Running Modest Max spA/hp/4 spD w/ Tri-pulse and aura sphere in Maison atm to farm BP. Probably going to swap to ice beam to hit grass. Really wish it effected all gun moves. basically an offensive bullet proof :/ Tri pulse/aura sphere are cool but dragon pulse doesnt offer much coverage, I'd like a boosted sludge bomb

As for the comparison with mega-blastoise. M-toise fills the mega evo slot, Clawitzer doesn't. So in some cases clawitzer maybe the better option (depending on what set you run on M-tiose).

I think U-turn is a huge asset even for testing out, in genIV i wanted to test a slow U-turner to take a hit then switch into a glass-cannon, essentially giving the glass cannon a free switch in. I only tested vespiquen (LOL) it mainly died due to its typing, but with a better typing and stats(IIRC) the concept might work. So I theorise that this poke will have an interesting niche as a supporter of glass-cannon sweepers, mega or normal. Its coverage could possibly used to scare or clean away counters of the sweeper its protecting.
Resuming. Clawitzer can be better because of its access to U-Turn and has a free item-slot (which Blastoise doesn't because it's helding Blastoisite) for items such as ChoiceSpecs or AssaultVest.

I ask that you provide proof before starting hype about shell smash clawitzer. This is how Rapid Spin Greninja started. Serebii said himself that it was entered by hand and may contain errors (which he is known for). He lists shell smash at level 47, the same level that the research thread lists aqua jet. So allow us to prove that it has Shell smash before jumping on the hype train, making sets, or even discussing it. The goal of such a thread is to discuss the known aspects of the pokemon and their possible roles in the metagame.

As of now Clawitzer is akin to special offensive version of escavalier in the lower tiers. Unfortuantely it requires Choice Specs in order to secure a pile of OHKO's, which is problematic as it prevents him from taking advantage of his rather odd but great coverage. As has been mentioned with several pokemon this generation, Clawitzer could pose as a potent Trick Room Sweeper.
I'm sorry, I'll wait awhile before I post something like that in the future.

I can see a bulky specs something like:

Clawitzer
Mega Launcher
4Hp 252 SPA 252 SPE
Timid Nature

Water Pulse/ Surf/ Hydro Pump
Aura Sphere
Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse/ U- turn/ Sludge Bomb

I can see a bulky specs something like:

Clawitzer
Mega Launcher
4Hp 252 SPA 252 SPE
Timid Nature

Water Pulse/ Surf/ Hydro Pump
Aura Sphere
Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse/ U- turn/ Sludge Bomb
That's basically the way I see it, but I'd substitute max speed for max HP and make it Modest; base 55 Speed isn't outspeeding anything.

Also, slash in Ice Beam somewhere for coverage against Grass/Dragon-types (so many are 4x weak to it that it still has better utility than Dragon Pulse) and remove Surf; with Mega Launcher, they both have the exact same BP, but one has an added side effect and more PP.

Trick Room seems more-or-less viable for Clawitzer, seeing as with base 59 Speed, it's not gonna be outspeeding a whole lot of things outside of TR even with max Speed. How about this for a set:
Clawitzer
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Special Attack, 4 Special Defense (0 Speed IVs)
Moves: Water Pulse/Hydro Pump, Aura Sphere, Ice Beam, Sludge Bomb/Dark Pulse

I know some would rather LO for more versatility but I love the Satisfaction of nuking someone with a SpecsShrimpzilla. WaterPulse after Megalauncher is the same base as Surf so I use Surf instead since i dont care for confusion but either way the nukes this thing drops with Specs is ridiculously OP. Granted being locked in one has to play smart but if you know what you are doing running specs is fine.

What will hold Claw from upper tiers (thank Posiedon because i love low tiers) is that he has mediocre to average speed and cant really take a hit unfortunately. Your best bet in low tiers is running something like Ariados for StickyWeb and then just Nuke whatever you can. Unless the pokemon is immune or resist the move itll get hit hard (for LO or specs set)

I know some would rather LO for more versatility but I love the Satisfaction of nuking someone with a SpecsShrimpzilla. WaterPulse after Megalauncher is the same base as Surf so I use Surf instead since i dont care for confusion but either way the nukes this thing drops with Specs is ridiculously OP. Granted being locked in one has to play smart but if you know what you are doing running specs is fine.
Wait... what?

There is absolutely no reason you should use Surf on Clawitzer. You said it yourself, they're the same base power after Mega Launcher, but Water Pulse has that more PP and the confusion chance, and you should always take the move with added benefits if they have the same base power. Never use Surf on Clawitzer. Use either Water Pulse or Hydro Pump.

Bringing things back on topic...
I think someone mentioned Assault Vest as a decent item for this guy too. I like the idea of Clawitzer as kind of a tank, and the ability to take a hit and THEN U-turn to bring something safely in was one of the benefits of it.

Aside from that, I think TR sweeping will be the only real use for this guy. Life Orb or maybe even Expert Belt to bluff Specs seems like the way to go. Just a note, Water/Dark/Fighting coverage is walled by Toxicroak, a similar problem that Blastoise faces. Might it be worth it to run Dragon Pulse for neutral coverage for a sweeper like this? Hydro Pump/Water Pulse + Dragon Pulse still has great neutral coverage, with Aura Sphere picking up SE hits on Empoleon and Ferrothorn. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I'm curious, does anyone have a guess as to how well a Clawitzer with an Assault Vest would be able to tank and hurt Mega Gengar with Mega Launcher Boosted Dark Pulse?

Just ignore him, he's kind of a dumbass.
Insults are not required could just say I'm wrong but I was unaware I was insulting your intelligence by thinking Surf > Water Pulse.

Anyways as you said back to topic...just used Clawitzer with StickyWeb support and Specs, which easily allowed this shrimp to sweep. TR or Hazard support make this guy deadly. I guess it is unfortunate it doesnt get ShellSmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)