Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Charge Beam
- Soft-Boiled

Pretty straightforward. Make use of those Dragon, Fighting, Bug and Dark resists to setup Cosmic Power. Once you get to +6 in both defenses use Charge Beam to get to a sufficient amount of SpAtk. Sweep with Stored Power. Heal whenever necessary. Magic Guard to prevent status from racking up. EV spread maximizes physical bulk to lean towards it resistance to Fighting and Bug. Special attackers are usually less threatening, e.g. Rotom-W, Goodra, etc.

Counters: Steel and Poison moves hurt a lot. Magnezone support is mandatory. It works extremely well. With Steels out of the way Clefable has a field day. I use this core with Volt-Turn support and a Quagsire/Blissey core. Quagsire is pretty good. Walls SD Scizor and Aegislash hard. Also Talonflame. Anyway this set is amazing. DragMag was 5th gen. FairyMag is the new MagDrag.

Wobblebuns's set is amazing. I came up with a set similar to it with Gen 6 finally available in Showdown.

Clefable Leftovers w/ Magic Guard
Bold / 252 HP / 252 Def
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Softboiled

I don't know if HP Ground is a good option instead of Fire Blast, depends on what you want to cover. Fire Blast makes setting up on Ferrothorn easier, although the accuracy is meh.

Edit:
Clefable sweep: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-58392595
2nd sweep: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-58394029
I've been using CM Clefable in OU to some success (although not against the greatest teams; I haven't tested it too much) and I really prefer Shadow Ball over Flamethrower. It gets so much better coverage, which is preferred on a sweeper. List of notable Pokemon that resist Fairy/Fire:
-Talonflame
-Volcarona
-Tentacruel
-Heatran (Immune to Fire and 4x resists Fairy)
-Basically any fire type

List of Pokemon that resist Fairy/Ghost
-Pyroar (lol)

It gets so much better coverage, and Fire Blast doesn't really change the fact that you can only beat Scizor at high enough health to live a Bullet Punch, which is 75% or so. I'm really looking forward to using Clefable in UU. It has very good potential there, and even in OU to an extent.

Last edited:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Unaware Clefable is possibly the best counter to Weakness Policy Dragonite. It's very much like Unaware Quagsire but with an immunity to Dragon, meaning Clefable takes even less damage overall and can't be 2HKO'd by Outrage and SR. Sadly, you can't get Softboiled with Unaware, but Moonlight is still somewhat more reliable thanks to the weather nerf, and you could always use Wish for team support. It's also one of the better Garchomp checks for the same reason, assuming no random Iron Head or Poison Jab.

Also like Sylveon, Clefable is a great teammate with M-Aggron.

I've cleaned up the excessive amount of sets on the OP. I left up Offensive and FairyMag due to their popularity among ladder Clefables atm, while I left up the Wall (UU) set because of the amount of research put into it. (I would like to see some actual results with it, however, so if anyone has been using that set and can post feedback, that'd be great!)

If I removed your set from the OP, don't take it personally; I removed both of my sets, too. =P

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Unaware Clefable is possibly the best counter to Weakness Policy Dragonite. It's very much like Unaware Quagsire but with an immunity to Dragon, meaning Clefable takes even less damage overall and can't be 2HKO'd by Outrage and SR. Sadly, you can't get Softboiled with Unaware, but Moonlight is still somewhat more reliable thanks to the weather nerf, and you could always use Wish for team support. It's also one of the better Garchomp checks for the same reason, assuming no random Iron Head or Poison Jab.

Also like Sylveon, Clefable is a great teammate with M-Aggron.

I've considered replacing my AV Snorelax and running Unaware Clefable alongside my Unaware Quagsire, but I feel that might be a bit excessive. I was considering this because Quagsire is pretty much helpless against special threats, but I'm not sure it would be in my best interests, especially since it would leave a massive gaping hole against Gengar/Mega Gengar that AVlax fills quite well. Granted, between a janky Quagsire and Clefable, you have a basis for possibly the most annoying team ever created (okay, Paraflinch is probably more annoying, but that's barely even playing the game at that point), but I'm not sure it would be as effective as I would hope.

I've considered replacing my AV Snorelax and running Unaware Clefable alongside my Unaware Quagsire, but I feel that might be a bit excessive. I was considering this because Quagsire is pretty much helpless against special threats, but I'm not sure it would be in my best interests, especially since it would leave a massive gaping hole against Gengar/Mega Gengar that AVlax fills quite well. Granted, between a janky Quagsire and Clefable, you have a basis for possibly the most annoying team ever created (okay, Paraflinch is probably more annoying, but that's barely even playing the game at that point), but I'm not sure it would be as effective as I would hope.
I'm actually trying Double Unaware at the moment. It's very awesome but can be tricky. You're very weak to stuff that hits hard naturally, especially when you can't be certain if you're against a special or physical attack (Lucario is a big one) and an unfortunate crit can ruin your day (iknorite?). There are a bunch of people running Calm Mind 'mons though that will happily let you Toxic/Moonblast them and then realise too late they're hitting you for jack all.

Here's a set that works extremely well in OU with the right support:

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Charge Beam
- Soft-Boiled

Pretty straightforward. Make use of those Dragon, Fighting, Bug and Dark resists to setup Cosmic Power. Once you get to +6 in both defenses use Charge Beam to get to a sufficient amount of SpAtk. Sweep with Stored Power. Heal whenever necessary. Magic Guard to prevent status from racking up. EV spread maximizes physical bulk to lean towards it resistance to Fighting and Bug. Special attackers are usually less threatening, e.g. Rotom-W, Goodra, etc.

Counters: Steel and Poison moves hurt a lot. Magnezone support is mandatory. It works extremely well. With Steels out of the way Clefable has a field day. I use this core with Volt-Turn support and a Quagsire/Blissey core. Quagsire is pretty good. Walls SD Scizor and Aegislash hard. Also Talonflame. Anyway this set is amazing. DragMag was 5th gen. FairyMag is the new MagDrag.

Did you get that set from BlameTruth? But yeah that set does work. What can really counter it after it gets one or two boosts from cosmic power?

Did you get that set from BlameTruth? But yeah that set does work. What can really counter it after it gets one or two boosts from cosmic power?
Some calm mind using pokemon, anything that can set up attacks +2, taunt to stop healing/defensive boosts, and anything that can hit hard with poison or steel moves.

A quick update on Clefable: Serebii has confirmed two new Egg Moves for him that he didn't have access to in B/W: Heal Pulse and Misty Terrain. (Of course, Misty Terrain is a new move anyways.)

While this doesn't mean anything for Singles due to Heal Pulse being useless in Singles, could this impact Clefable's role in the Doubles meta? Could this make Eviolite Friend Guard Heal Pulse Clefairy a viable strategy? I would love to hear some opinions from our smaller Doubles community. I think this thread has a trove of useful information regarding Singles, and it should now look to cater towards our Doubles community where I think Clefable will be able to make a very strong impact.

Here's a quick list of good junk Clefable gets for Doubles:

• Dazzling Gleam
  • Reflect
  • Light Screen
  • Safeguard
  • Misty Terrain
  • Aromatherapy
  • Heal Pulse
  • Follow Me
  • Gravity

How do people think this set would work, once steel types are removed with magnezone?

Clefable @ Leftovers
Unaware
Bold | 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SDef
- Cosmic Power
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

How do people think this set would work, once steel types are removed with magnezone?

Clefable @ Leftovers
Unaware
- Cosmic Power
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
Magnezone can't remove Poison-types or Aegislash, or Excadrill, or anything that might have Taunt or Substitute... or Poison Heal. Or Sniper Kingdra, for that matter.

I really don't see this going anywhere.

No Cleric set in the OP? I've been using this in OU (I run a team that really appreciates Wish support, and she is not affected by Hazards and Toxic like Vaporeon)

Medic
Clefable @ Life Orb
Calm (+SpD, -ATK)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252+ SpD
Magic Guard
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball

Main issues here are of course big Steel and Poison hits, but those can be mitigated with a bulky Steel type to switch to (there is no shortage of those). In return, Clefable resists the Fighting moves aimed at the Steel type. I like Thunderbolt because this set walls Mega Blastoise/Clawitzer enough to wish off their Water Pulse damage and kill with SE Thunderbolts. Thunderbolt also hits Talonflame/Skarmory where it hurts on the switch, and hits Scizor just as hard as Shadow Ball. That being said, Shadow Ball hits Gengar on the switch, which is nice.

Magnezone can't remove Poison-types or Aegislash, or Excadrill, or anything that might have Taunt or Substitute... or Poison Heal. Or Sniper Kingdra, for that matter.

I really don't see this going anywhere.
Obviously the idea wouldn't be to use it with just Magnezone, and I can't see Sniper Kingdra being excessively common. I'd probably go with a Noivern to break through subs (killing Gliscor with its mediocre SpD, the most notable Poison Heal user) along with giving it Taunt to handle other shenanigans, maybe Quagsire to handle poison types, etc. Essentially if you remove the counters and get a couple of Cosmic Powers in you'd be set, having Unaware and a means to remove status and heal gives Clefable fairly limitless walling and stalling potential in the right circumstances.

EDIT: Seems to work pretty well with the right team.

Last edited:
No Cleric set in the OP?
I had a Cleric set in the OP a while ago, but Clericfable is outclassed by Sylveon and Florges. Magic Guard isn't really a selling point because Clerics can heal themselves if they have Protect.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Unaware
- Cosmic Power
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
Anything with Roar or Haze will be able to phaze you, and unlike the Stored Power/Charge Beam set, you won't be able to kill them before they do it. It's not a bad set, but it's not as good as the other sets.

Anything with Roar or Haze will be able to phaze you, and unlike the Stored Power/Charge Beam set, you won't be able to kill them before they do it. It's not a bad set, but it's not as good as the other sets.
I'd say that's a fair appraisal. Taunt Pranksters take care of a lot of this sets problems though, particularly Sableye who can burn (barring Heatran when he becomes OU) what Clefable can't poison; unless what you burn has a recovery move they will go down eventually. Sableye is actually very nice now Steel Types don't resist Dark, several Skarmorys (obviously one of the more common phazers) have been easily taken out by him which surprised me.

Obviously the idea wouldn't be to use it with just Magnezone, and I can't see Sniper Kingdra being excessively common. I'd probably go with a Noivern to break through subs (killing Gliscor with its mediocre SpD, the most notable Poison Heal user) along with giving it Taunt to handle other shenanigans, maybe Quagsire to handle poison types, etc. Essentially if you remove the counters and get a couple of Cosmic Powers in you'd be set, having Unaware and a means to remove status and heal gives Clefable fairly limitless walling and stalling potential in the right circumstances.

EDIT: Seems to work pretty well with the right team.
If you base a team/core around solely that set, it's going to leave much to be desired. You're wrong about Sniper Kingdra; it's going to see much use for wallbreaking, and it'll be able to bypass Clefable's defense boosts. Not to mention the fact that Clefable's only method of dealing damage is via Toxic, which isn't reliable against powerful sweepers/wallbreakers.

I just don't see this set accomplishing much.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Question, is Unaware + Soft-Boiled Illegal on Clefable? Showdown seems to think so, and my guess is that its correct!

Question, is Unaware + Soft-Boiled Illegal on Clefable? Showdown seems to think so, and my guess is that its correct!
As far as I am aware Softboiled was from an event. You will have to use moonlight instead, which isn't as bad as it would have been last gen because of the relative lack of weather.

As far as I am aware Softboiled was from an event. You will have to use moonlight instead, which isn't as bad as it would have been last gen because of the relative lack of weather.
Actually, Soft-Boiled was a Tutor move back in FR/LG. Pokebank only right now.

But yes, Unaware and Soft-Boiled is illegal and Moonlight is not a reasonable alternative. With only 8 PP as opposed to 16 you will run out of healing far too fast, especially when Clefable is even more reliant on it because it lacks Magic Guard.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Looks like I'm going to have to go Wish/Protect for now. Also does anyone have a good spread to be a mixed tank? Primary target is to take out Dragons but being able to tank a +0 Charizard Flare Blitz, +0 Gyara Waterfall etc would be super!

Looks like I'm going to have to go Wish/Protect for now. Also does anyone have a good spread to be a mixed tank? Primary target is to take out Dragons but being able to tank a +0 Charizard Flare Blitz, +0 Gyara Waterfall etc would be super!
Clefable can't run an effective mixed set anymore. Loosing its Normal type (damn it, Wigglytuff) means you no longer can abuse STAB-Double-Edge without recoil - besides, that's post Pokebank, too. It doesn't even have physical STAB moves.

Checking a support Gyarados is easy; it simply does not do enough damage to 2HKO you. However, because Clefable is quite slow, you might be flinched to death. If you want to be safe, 252/68 and Leftovers allow Clefable to stomach exactly 3 Waterfalls from Impish 0 Gyarados without kneeling over but that leaves you unable to OHKO Excadrill with a +252 LO Fire Blast.

No one in their right mind would run a +0 Charizard with Flare Blitz without an X Stone. That said, you need 252/+252 (Def) in order to not getting 2HKOed 70% of the times by Charizard X +0 Flare Blitz - but because +252 is far more popular on Charizard X, Clefable will get mauled anyway. Charizard Y isn't much worse; the weather gives it enough firepower to plow through any 252/+252 (SDef) Clefable with two Fire Blasts. It wouldn't be that bad if you could hurt them somehow - it cannot.

Anyway, tank Clefable has some serious 4MSS when you do not use Soft-Boiled. It really wants both Thunderbolt and Fire Blast in one set because how prevalent Aegislash and Talonflame (-> Rotom-W -> Excadrill) are. We see nothing more suitable than the cookie cutter spead: 252 HP / 252 SAtk Modest.

I had a Cleric set in the OP a while ago, but Clericfable is outclassed by Sylveon and Florges. Magic Guard isn't really a selling point because Clerics can heal themselves if they have Protect.
It's not just a question of being able to heal yourself, but rather that not having to spend turns healing yourself is a real boon sometimes. Any kind of Toxic/Burn/Leech Seed stall/tankbreaking pokemon have a lot more trouble with Clefable than with Florges or Sylveon. I would agree that she is outclassed for sure if those two had decent abilities, but they basically might as well not have abilities at all. Comparatively, Magic Guard is among the best abilities to have. The other two fairies definitely have a niche as clerics, but I don't think Clefable is so outclassed that it is not worth running at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)