Pokémon Clefable

Status
Not open for further replies.
A tad bit of favoritism here, but I foresee Clefable being an awesome (supportive) pivot for particular offensive teams that appreciate her unique blend of qualities.

Wish Support immediately comes to mind for making VoltTurn and/or Bulky Offense variants sturdier... however she is so versatile and unpredictable against just about anyone. I can't wait to see how she fares in OU, and I'm hopeful she'll be 100% viable without actually being labeled OU herself.

Edit: Would a mono-attacking CM set be a good option? She is immune to residual damage, so she doesn't give a fuck about status, sand, hazards, and other things that plague typical CM sets. Something like...

Clefable @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Modest / Bold Nature
EVs: 252HP, 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Def, 4 Spe
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Let's it support the team, maintain its own health, and even sweep under the right circumstances. :]

Last edited:
God, I hope this sucker gets Rough Play through breeding now that egg move limitations make the below possible:

Wish I Had a Drum
Clefable@Life Orb

Adamant, Magic Guard
252 HP 252 Attack 4 Speed
-Play Rough
-Knock Off/Protect/Drain Punch/Heal Bell
-Wish
-Belly Drum

I'm still not sure that Clefable will make OU with competition from Florges, Sylveon, and Togekiss, plus Steel is one of the most common types in that tier. We shall see!
You must have misread Magic Guard and Unaware to think Florges and Sylveon have a one-up on Clefable. Florges has useless abilities in Singles and, while better SpAtt and SpDef, doesnt have the versatility Clef has. Sylveon is in the same boat though you can gimmick a Pixelate set with CM and HyperVoice/EchoedVoice to do damage. In fact, I would go so far as to say that overall only a CalmMind set from Florges or Sylveon make them better than Clef's CM....except Clef can abuse MagicGuard and LifeOrb. Of course in my opinion a CosmicPower set is Clef's best offensive set.

I think when Clef gets moved up in tiers, Florges and Sylveon will fight to replace it in RU

Wobblebuns's set is amazing. I came up with a set similar to it with Gen 6 finally available in Showdown.

Clefable Leftovers w/ Magic Guard
Bold / 252 HP / 252 Def
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Softboiled

I don't know if HP Ground is a good option instead of Fire Blast, depends on what you want to cover. Fire Blast makes setting up on Ferrothorn easier, although the accuracy is meh.

Edit:
Clefable sweep: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-58392595
2nd sweep: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-58394029

Last edited:
From watching these, I must say that Clefable has definitely found her niche with the buff this gen brought to her. However, I hardly doubt that she'll become OU material, as the sweeps were pretty situational and granted by your opponent's mistakes. I also believe that the Pokémons involved in the battles weren't OU material (at least most of them) but just used for the sake of novelty. Heatran will make life miserable for Fire Blast Clefable, while Scizor will laugh in her face if she carries HP Ground.

Has anybody thought about using MoonBlast + Shadow Ball? I just came up with it, but I believe Fairy + Ghost grants pretty decent coverage.

Wobblebuns's set is amazing. I came up with a set similar to it with Gen 6 finally available in Showdown.

Clefable Leftovers w/ Magic Guard
Bold / 252 HP / 252 Def
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Softboiled

I don't know if HP Ground is a good option instead of Fire Blast, depends on what you want to cover. Fire Blast makes setting up on Ferrothorn easier, although the accuracy is meh.
I've been seeing a lot of Aegislash - I think having Fireblast (or flamethrower for accuracy) and unaware/leftovers would be an awesome check against swords dance/sacred sword?

Doesn't anyone feel like losing its normal typing is a possible blow for Clefable? It can no longer run recoil-less STAB Belly Drum/Double-Edge sets! Just when Wish became legal with it, too...

After running some field testing with the Wobblebun's set, I gotta say that Flamethrower/Fire Blast >>>>>>> HP Ground. The increased BP is notable, for one, but it actually offers better coverage compared to HP Ground. There are virtually no Poison-type Pokemon in OU or UU, and the ones that are Poison-type often carry a second type which makes them weak to Flamethrower, such as Venusaur and Roselia. On top of that, many Steel-types carry a secondary typing that resist Ground, such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory. While you might miss out on x4 damage to Mangeton or being able to hit Drapion super-effectively (lol?), I still think that Flamethrower/Fire Blast is 90% of the time a better choice for Clefable than HP Ground.

lolwatrr , those are some nice vids, though I noticed how in both of them your opponent didn't have a good physical revenge-killer (or killer in general) to deal with you, which I think is something that many teams will be packing from now on. The problem is that Clefable just doesn't have enough speed to be as sexy a set-up sweeper as we want her to be, BUT I still think a bulky offensive build is amazing for her. I think replacing Calm Mind with Thunder Wave could be a really good idea, as Clefable's STAB Noobblast hits hard enough with a Life Orb to where I don't think it's optimal for her to run a boosting move, especially when phyiscal attackers will still be able to force her out, even with max Defense investment.

Clefable @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Modest / Bold Nature
EVs: 252HP, 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Def, 4 Spe
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Let's it support the team, maintain its own health, and even sweep under the right circumstances. :]
Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to run Protect, CM, and Wish on the same set. Your Clefable is bulky enough to be able to take the hit before Wish heals him in almost every case, so Protect is (in my opinion) a waste of a moveslot, and would only see very situational usage. It'd be a better idea to run Flamethrower or Psychic/Psyshock on that set.

Doesn't anyone feel like losing its normal typing is a possible blow for Clefable? It can no longer run recoil-
less STAB Belly Drum/Double-Edge sets! Just when Wish became legal with it, too...
The problem with Normal typing means Clefable would lose her resistance to Fighting, which is something she desperately needs IMO. Being able to switch into a LO Lucario Close Combat, surviving an additional one, and then OHKOing with Flamethrower is an important part of the new Clefable and would not be possible if she still had her Normal-typing.

Last edited:
Does Clefable learn Moonblast? Or is it only Clefairy? I evolved my Clefairy at level 41 without knowing and now my Clefable is level 50 and still hasn't learned it yet.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Does Clefable learn Moonblast? Or is it only Clefairy? I evolved my Clefairy at level 41 without knowing and now my Clefable is level 50 and still hasn't learned it yet.
Pokémon generally stop learning moves once you evolve them with a stone. The only Fairy move that Clefable learns is Disarming Voice by move relearner.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok so the EVs are pretty shocking but the set i am actually finding really good this gen.

Item:Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Magic Guard
EV spread: 252 HP/ 128 DEF/SPDEF
Moveset:
- Cosmic Power
- Moonblast
- Softboiled
- Stored Power

Get one Cosmic power in on something that you now RESIST yay fairy
And you can generally softboil off any damage just get to +6 and sweep with Stored Power.
(its amazing how often people try to hit you with a fighting attack) Darks dont enjoy a STAB moonblast.
Barring a phazer once you get to plus 3 you can tank any hit since poison and steel arent exactly known for their power.

Clef enjoys the nerf to crits too.
You'll do better with Calm, less Special Def, and more EVs in Defense (Always put nature in the highest base stat you invest in)

As much as I love Clefairy, I don't see it working in OU. I tried using on in ranked matches earlier with maxed out bulk, but it wasn't able to take more than one or two Earthquakes from the many Garchomps infesting the meta. To add insult to injury, a good number of players are using Poison Jab in their sets. I've seen one tank Moon Blasts (probably with assault vest) from bulky Togekiss and 2HKO with Poison Jab.

252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn: 333-395 (94.6 - 112.21%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO

She walks all over Ferrothorn. Immune to Leech Seed, immune to its hazards, and has Aromatherapy to heal status! (Above calc includes Flamethrower's nerf and Clefable's sp.atk buff)

I've actually been having a lot of success with this set, cribbed from one of 56k's replays-

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Softboiled
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

Although Magic Guard is a very powerful ability, the combination of Unaware, Fairy type and Softboiled gives her the interesting ability to stall out virtually every boosting Dragon type so long as she's kept in good health- here are a few cool examples-

252 Atk Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 146-172 (37.05 - 43.65%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Dragonite ExtremeSpeed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 127-150 (32.23 - 38.07%) -- 1.37% chance to 3HKO
4 SpA Latias Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 121-144 (30.71 - 36.54%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Latios Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 143-169 (36.29 - 42.89%) -- 98.02% chance to 3HKO

Notable exceptions include SD Garchomp, who'll comfortably 2HKO with STAB Earthquake, but still probably doesn't want to eat a moonblast. Still, though, the number of attackers who fail to outdamage Clefable's passive and active recovery is surprising, and forcing your opponent's sweepers out gives plenty of opportunities to set up stealth rock to support the team, or heal up so you can take them on again later in the match. I've been using her on stall, and her ability to force out otherwise lethal boosting sweepers and just generally never die is awesome. Facing Heatran sucks, though, so be prepared for that if you use this set.

I've actually been having a lot of success with this set, cribbed from one of 56k's replays-

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Softboiled
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

Although Magic Guard is a very powerful ability, the combination of Unaware, Fairy type and Softboiled gives her the interesting ability to stall out virtually every boosting Dragon type so long as she's kept in good health- here are a few cool examples-

252 Atk Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 146-172 (37.05 - 43.65%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Dragonite ExtremeSpeed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 127-150 (32.23 - 38.07%) -- 1.37% chance to 3HKO
4 SpA Latias Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 121-144 (30.71 - 36.54%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Latios Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 143-169 (36.29 - 42.89%) -- 98.02% chance to 3HKO

Notable exceptions include SD Garchomp, who'll comfortably 2HKO with STAB Earthquake, but still probably doesn't want to eat a moonblast. Still, though, the number of attackers who fail to outdamage Clefable's passive and active recovery is surprising, and forcing your opponent's sweepers out gives plenty of opportunities to set up stealth rock to support the team, or heal up so you can take them on again later in the match. I've been using her on stall, and her ability to force out otherwise lethal boosting sweepers and just generally never die is awesome. Facing Heatran sucks, though, so be prepared for that if you use this set.
But if you can only get softboiled from a transfered clafairy, then it is impossible to get unaware on it.

But if you can only get softboiled from a transfered clafairy, then it is impossible to get unaware on it.
That's a shame- at least showdown allows it. I suppose that Moonlight or Wish would be acceptable alternatives, but still.

I am really tempted to combine Unaware+Psych Up. That move was meant for that ability. Go ahead and let someone boost while you stack hazards or something, then switch in Clefable who doesn't give a **** and nab the boosts for yourself.

Clefable@Leftovers/Red Card/Life Orb
Unaware
252 HP...
~ Psych Up
~ Drain Punch/Fire Blast
~ Moonblast
~ Body Slam

Clefable fortunately has the typing, movepool and stats to take advantage of the most common boosting moves like Calm Mind, Dragon Dance and Swords Dance. You need the HP to be able to get a Psych Up in. If you plan to send her in against slow walls or Curse users then you can nab the boost while Red Card simultaneously forces them out and you keep the boosts to yourself. Most will be sweepers though and you'd want the Life Orb for killing things even if you don't get the best boosts under your belt. Drain Punch would be perfect if she nabs a Swords Dance to keep her healthy and it compliments Moonblast nicely. Body Slam is a decent option regardless of your boost because of the paralysis.

I don't really see clefable going ou because it seems a bit too slow for it. I'm actually very happy about that though because uu is my favourite tier and I could really see clefable making a really nice fighting type check. Also a defensive set could also help check the scary dark types like sharpedo, scrafty, and sableye. Pretty sure our favourite mobster crow could care less though with it's powerful BB.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Softboiled
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

Is physical latios even a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)