Pokémon Clefable

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Cleric Clefable, do you think it might help to run it with bold instead of calm, or with defense investment in genral? Or is it not worth trying to save its mediocre defense?

Last edited:

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We don't know what Clefable is trying to check yet, that's the issue. Even when Ferrothorn was being speculated, no one had any clue that he was going to end up checking almost everything in OU. People are rightfully clamoring about that Fighting resist, though; the lower tiers are currently rife with Close Combat. The best it can do is invest in both and become a utility counter for a variety of threats. Those defenses altogether are just too low to dedicate to a single attacking class.

I am really tempted to combine Unaware+Psych Up.
Seems like a good set! I'll throw it in the OP! Let us know how it works if you test it. =)

But I absolutely advise against Red Card. Most 'Mons are faster than Clefable, and you don't want them getting booted before you get the chance to Psych Up.

For Cleric Clefable, do you think it might help to run it with bold instead of calm, or with defense investment in genral? Or is it not worth trying to save its mediocre defense?
If you choose to play her in OU, you definitely want to play to Clefable's strengths and go for max Special Defense, it's just the wiser thing to do. But if you run Cleric in UU, you could probably run Defense because most Physical attackers in that tier are Fighting-types (which you resist anyways) and UU 'Mons generally don't hit nearly as hard as OU 'Mons. (Generally.)

We don't know what Clefable is trying to check yet, that's the issue. Even when Ferrothorn was being speculated, no one had any clue that he was going to end up checking almost everything in OU. People are rightfully clamoring about that Fighting resist, though; the lower tiers are currently rife with Close Combat. The best it can do is invest in both and become a utility counter for a variety of threats. Those defenses altogether are just too low to dedicate to a single attacking class.
Investing in Clefable's Special Defense is enough to let her live long enough to Wish pass.

252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 157-187 (39.84 - 47.46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 203-239 (51.52 - 60.65%) -- 92.58% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 151-178 (38.32 - 45.17%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 169-201 (42.89 - 51.01%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It's nothing terribly impressive, but it's enough time for her to perform her Clerical duties (especially with Protect), just be wise about what you switch in on. (Although I still really don't think that Clefable will be going to OU.)

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Again, I don't know exactly how much Special Defense Clefable will need in its respective tier, but one unwritten rule of playing defense is that the higher defensive stat doesn't necessarily decide where the investment goes, the resists do. For example, last gen's UU really could have used it as a mixed wall to stop the likes of Heracross and Mienshao while also keeping Raikou and Zapdos in line. On the other hand, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Roserade put an end to its career as a dedicated special tank.

A good benchmark, imo, is Reckless Mienshao's HJK and Zapdos's LO Tbolt. If Fable can block both of those, it's in business.

As a fan of defensive oriented boosting pokemon, I really like the cosmic power/stored power/recovery move notion. I'm correct to assume that Clefable can't learn pscho shift via egg move, right? For shame. With fairy typing posing as one of the best defensive types this generation, it would be able to pull off sigilyph's moveset so very nicely (dare I say better?)... Despite this, would flame/toxic orb still be a viable option as an item? Although Magic Guard on a defensive pokemon like Clefable is truely glorious, sleep and paralysis (and to a vastly lesser extent, freeze) are truely a bane to this set. Is there any other unique work-around to these status ailments that I'm missing?

Last edited:
Do you guys suppose a RestTalk set might be viable? I know in most cases Magic Guard is the superior ability, though I can't pass up the chance to set up on pseudo legendary dragons and the like.

Clefable @ Leftovers w/ Unaware
Bold / 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Ideally Clefable can come in on anything that plans on setting up indefinitely and proceed to counter by setting up alongside 'em. Calm Mind is used over Cosmic Power so Clefable can actually cause damage with its primary STAB attack. Any sort of status that tries to cut back her longevity can be slept off while she proceeds to buff herself and attack. Of course, this set can be easily phazed out and virtually any Steel, Poison, or Fire type can check it, but to me it seems like a set that can catch most of those Multiscale Dragonites off guard.

Last edited:
Wobblebuns's set is amazing. I came up with a set similar to it with Gen 6 finally available in Showdown.

Clefable Leftovers w/ Magic Guard
Bold / 252 HP / 252 Def
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Softboiled

I don't know if HP Ground is a good option instead of Fire Blast, depends on what you want to cover. Fire Blast makes setting up on Ferrothorn easier, although the accuracy is meh.

Edit:
Clefable sweep: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-58392595
2nd sweep: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-58394029
For some unknown, stupid reasons, the fact that Clefable gets Fire Blast went completely out off my head. Given that, then yes, Fire Blast/Flamethrower is almost always the superior option as a coverage move scoring a big SE hit to more significant threats like Ferrothorn and Skarmory (well at least in OU). As of now, I haven't seen much Poison types running around the tier. However with Fire types -specifically Heatran-, there were several encounters of them. I guess Heatran is the only notable threat to be covered by HP Ground.

Again, Fire Blast does offer more key coverage as opposed to HP Ground. Besides, against some specially-inclined Poison and Fire Pokemon, Clefable can potentially outstall them with a combination of Calm Mind and Softboiled and ultimately outdamage with a boosted Moonblast.

Last edited:
Well I'm enjoying this set as much as possible before Heatran is released. Currently it really takes out a lot of threats such as Aegislash, Scizor, Excadrill. I know it's weird to stay in on a steel type but I can live a hit and OHKO with ease. The Magic Guard set can destroy stall as well. In almost every case if you aren't doing at least 50% damage on me, you are set up fodder against my Clefable.

The ones I have trouble with are Talonflame and Gliscor. They can tank my hits if I don't already have a few CM boosts and can heal off the damage. I need some good support against those 2.

I find that Clefable can now work really well (even more so in my opinion) with Unaware then Magic Guard in a set which I have been testing on Pokemon Showdown, which is quite similar to Jonjonz. With the new excellent mono-Fairy typing that Clefable has received as a blessing it makes it much easier to tank and set up then in previous gens. The set which I would propose is something like this:

Bold / 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Sp Def
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power / Moonblast
- Softboiled / Wish
- Aromatherapy

Now in X and Y Clefable has been blessed with excellent new Fairy-typing. With the resistances to Fighting, Dark and Bug as well as Dragon immunity there are plenty of options to switch in and setup to become an almost impassable wall. And the only 2 types super effective against it (Steel and Poison) are generally uncommon attacking types. The trick here is to switch in on something which Clefable either resists, is a setup Pokemon, a staller or a wall. Then you start stacking Cosmic Power giving you sky high defences to compliment an impressive HP stat. Unaware prevents pokemon from setting up on Clefable while she is stacking Cosmic Power as increased damage or defences on the opponent are completely ignored and so that the only thing Clefable has to worry about are very strong Pokemon who manage to land a critical hit or get in a super-effective move early. But after even 3 or 4 Cosmic Powers Clefable will start to not care if they have a super-effective. Stored Power is the offensive move of choice, as after it maxes its defences it has a sky high power of 260 and can hit really hard, and even if it doesn't OHKO it doesn't matter as Clefable should be able to take any attack from the opponent. Moonblast is used as a replacement to this in case you are fearing Dark-types who will funnily enough will completely wall Clefable in this set. Softboiled is used as a form of better recovery for Clefable herself while stacking or after taking multiple hits but Wish can be used as a support option (until Pokebank opens Moonlight can be used in replacement of Softboiled). Aromatherapy is used in the last slot as a nice support option and helps due to the lack of Magic Guard to combat Toxic and Burn, but also get rid of Paralysis which can be nuisance though not too much a problem. Set up with Cosmic Power, heal back lost health and shake off status, then start dishing out damage.

Although it sounds almost overpowered, and it is very powerful, like everything it has its drawbacks. Roar and Whirlwind can make all of this pointless in the end. Haze also causes problems and if Topsy-Turvy ever gets into the metagame it will completely counter this. Leech Seed and Ghost-curse are reasons why Magic Guard can be superior to Unaware and Magic Guard also shakes off entry hazards, though Unaware can prove much better in the long run. A strong super-effective early in the setting up stage can also wreak havoc. Clefable also unfortunately still has somewhat lackluster offences in this set even with the high power Stored Power which is still completely walled by Dark-types and if you choose to run Moonblast you be having to stay in battle for quite a while. In the end it is going to need to rely on a good team to help it get around these counters to it, but after that, it can and will wreak havoc!

As a side note I'm still not too sure about where to put the nature and EVs in this moveset. There is the wall which I have provided and works but in case you wanting a bit more damage my guess is that a Modest nature and/or LO could still work really will on this. Will need to test more.

Test on Pokemon Showdown featuring this build at work:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-61069152
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-61067624

Do you guys suppose a RestTalk set might be viable? I know in most cases Magic Guard is the superior ability, though I can't pass up the chance to set up on pseudo legendary dragons and the like.

Bold / 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Ideally Clefable can come in on anything that plans on setting up indefinitely and proceed to counter by setting up alongside 'em. Calm Mind is used over Cosmic Power so Clefable can actually cause damage with its primary STAB attack. Any sort of status that tries to cut back her longevity can be slept off while she proceeds to buff herself and attack. Of course, this set can be easily phazed out and virtually any Steel, Poison, or Fire type can check it, but to me it seems like a set that can catch most of those Multiscale Dragonites off guard.
You are probably better using Moonlight, which has become a good option with the rain nerf(Softboiled is sadly illegal with Unaware), and saving a slot for whatever you want, even Aromatherapy if you want to get rid of status.

I find that Clefable can now work really well (even more so in my opinion) with Unaware then Magic Guard in a set which I have been testing on Pokemon Showdown, which is quite similar to Jonjonz. With the new excellent mono-Fairy typing that Clefable has received as a blessing it makes it much easier to tank and set up then in previous gens. The set which I would propose is something like this:

Bold / 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Sp Def
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power / Moonblast
- Softboiled / Wish
- Aromatherapy

Now in X and Y Clefable has been blessed with excellent new Fairy-typing. With the resistances to Fighting, Dark and Bug as well as Dragon immunity there are plenty of options to switch in and setup to become an almost impassable wall. And the only 2 types super effective against it (Steel and Poison) are generally uncommon attacking types. The trick here is to switch in on something which Clefable either resists, is a setup Pokemon, a staller or a wall. Then you start stacking Cosmic Power giving you sky high defences to compliment an impressive HP stat. Unaware prevents pokemon from setting up on Clefable while she is stacking Cosmic Power as increased damage or defences on the opponent are completely ignored and so that the only thing Clefable has to worry about are very strong Pokemon who manage to land a critical hit or get in a super-effective move early. But after even 3 or 4 Cosmic Powers Clefable will start to not care if they have a super-effective. Stored Power is the offensive move of choice, as after it maxes its defences it has a sky high power of 260 and can hit really hard, and even if it doesn't OHKO it doesn't matter as Clefable should be able to take any attack from the opponent. Moonblast is used as a replacement to this in case you are fearing Dark-types who will funnily enough will completely wall Clefable in this set. Softboiled is used as a form of better recovery for Clefable herself while stacking or after taking multiple hits but Wish can be used as a support option (until Pokebank opens Moonlight can be used in replacement of Softboiled). Aromatherapy is used in the last slot as a nice support option and helps due to the lack of Magic Guard to combat Toxic and Burn, but also get rid of Paralysis which can be nuisance though not too much a problem. Set up with Cosmic Power, heal back lost health and shake off status, then start dishing out damage.

Although it sounds almost overpowered, and it is very powerful, like everything it has its drawbacks. Roar and Whirlwind can make all of this pointless in the end. Haze also causes problems and if Topsy-Turvy ever gets into the metagame it will completely counter this. Leech Seed and Ghost-curse are reasons why Magic Guard can be superior to Unaware and Magic Guard also shakes off entry hazards, though Unaware can prove much better in the long run. A strong super-effective early in the setting up stage can also wreak havoc. Clefable also unfortunately still has somewhat lackluster offences in this set even with the high power Stored Power which is still completely walled by Dark-types and if you choose to run Moonblast you be having to stay in battle for quite a while. In the end it is going to need to rely on a good team to help it get around these counters to it, but after that, it can and will wreak havoc!

As a side note I'm still not too sure about where to put the nature and EVs in this moveset. There is the wall which I have provided and works but in case you wanting a bit more damage my guess is that a Modest nature and/or LO could still work really will on this. Will need to test more.

Test on Pokemon Showdown featuring this build at work:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-61069152
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-61067624
If you're boosting your defenses to the point of absurdity you're probably better off just using Rest for healing AND status recovery. Now you can run Moon blast and Stored Power and only Steels will resist but can be overwhelmed. You could opt for Toxic if you simply want to stall those trying to kill you. Besides Steels again. You could use chesto Berry to assure that you can get enough Cosmic Powers in before one sleepless Rest to get you in the safe boosted range. The other option is going Bold and running Calm Mind instead which makes Stored Power far more deadly. You can with Rest you could probably use Wow or Reflect for the physical threats and I'd simply try to kill the few Dark types you're likely to encounter before throwing Clef able out rather than compensating for them.

If you're boosting your defenses to the point of absurdity you're probably better off just using Rest for healing AND status recovery. Now you can run Moon blast and Stored Power and only Steels will resist but can be overwhelmed. You could opt for Toxic if you simply want to stall those trying to kill you. Besides Steels again. You could use chesto Berry to assure that you can get enough Cosmic Powers in before one sleepless Rest to get you in the safe boosted range. The other option is going Bold and running Calm Mind instead which makes Stored Power far more deadly. You can with Rest you could probably use Wow or Reflect for the physical threats and I'd simply try to kill the few Dark types you're likely to encounter before throwing Clef able out rather than compensating for them.
Although Rest isn't a bad idea later on I guess, after a couple or more Cosmic Powers, early on he can still get wreaked if your opponent switches in early, and the turns of sleep will come as a major offset. And a Chesto Berry would help deal with this the first time, but the Leftovers recovery means that eventually you don't even need to use Moonlight after a while as Leftovers heals off most of the damage after a bit.

You can run Calm Mind and I have no doubt that it will work well as well, but then you are venturing into a completely different set to this one in a way, with a much different strategy.

Either way though, yeah, I'm still running Stored Power and you just have to knock of the Dark-types with the rest of your team, agreed.

Edit:
But its all really a matter of choice in the end isn't it? Clef has a lot of good potential builds now this gen.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Again, I don't know exactly how much Special Defense Clefable will need in its respective tier, but one unwritten rule of playing defense is that the higher defensive stat doesn't necessarily decide where the investment goes, the resists do. For example, last gen's UU really could have used it as a mixed wall to stop the likes of Heracross and Mienshao while also keeping Raikou and Zapdos in line. On the other hand, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Roserade put an end to its career as a dedicated special tank.

A good benchmark, imo, is Reckless Mienshao's HJK and Zapdos's LO Tbolt. If Fable can block both of those, it's in business.
And here's a set that hits those benchmarks

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware / Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SDef
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast / Toxic

252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 132 Def Clefable: 175-208 (44.41 - 52.79%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Clefable: 164-192 (41.62 - 48.73%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mienshao: 296-350 (108.82 - 128.67%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Clefable Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 136-162 (42.23 - 50.31%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 108-127 (33.54 - 39.44%) -- 19.92% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Clefable: 165-196 (41.87 - 49.74%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Clefable: 351-413 (89.08 - 104.82%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Clefable: 328-385 (83.24 - 97.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Heracross Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 132 Def Clefable: 117-138 (29.69 - 35.02%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 252 Atk Heracross Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 132 Def Clefable: 175-206 (44.41 - 52.28%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Heracross Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 132 Def Clefable: 232-274 (58.88 - 69.54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 252 Atk Heracross Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 132 Def Clefable: 290-342 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 252 Atk Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 132 Def Clefable: 313-369 (79.44 - 93.65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 132 Def Clefable: 192-226 (48.73 - 57.36%) -- 47.66% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Heracross: 204-242 (67.54 - 80.13%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So this set is a pretty simple wall set for UU. Moonlight is the only recovery move that Clefable can get outside of Wish due to Softboiled not being available until PokeBank (and even then only with Magic Guard). Wish isn't that great of an idea due to Clefable's only OK base 95 and reliance on Protect. Moonblast is there for reliable damage thanks to its now-buffed 95 SpA. Aromatherapy lets Clefable act as a cleric for the team along with clearing its own status, which is great on any set running Unaware over Magic Guard, which it should since it can't take many +2 attacks and Aromatherapy lets you get around status. Ice Beam lets you nail Offensive Zapdos for a 2HKO as opposed to barely 3HKOing like Moonblast does. Fire Blast lets you roast Steel-types that try to resist Fairy. Finally, Toxic lets you status other walls. Ice Beam also lets you beat Nidoqueens that don't run Sludge Wave / Bomb

The EVs might change depending on what is actually in UU, but I think these are good benchmarks for right now.

Last edited:
And here's a set that hits those benchmarks

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware / Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SDef
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast / Toxic

252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Mienshao Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 132 Def Clefable: 175-208 (44.41 - 52.79%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Clefable: 172-203 (43.65 - 51.52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mienshao: 296-350 (108.82 - 128.67%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Clefable Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 136-162 (42.23 - 50.31%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 108-127 (33.54 - 39.44%) -- 19.92% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Clefable: 165-196 (41.87 - 49.74%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Clefable: 351-413 (89.08 - 104.82%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Clefable: 328-385 (83.24 - 97.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Clefable: 253-298 (64.21 - 75.63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-2 252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Clefable: 126-149 (31.97 - 37.81%) -- 0.49% chance to 3HKO

So this set is a pretty simple wall set for UU. Moonlight is the only recovery move that Clefable can get outside of Wish due to Softboiled not being available until PokeBank (and even then only with Magic Guard). Wish isn't that great of an idea due to Clefable's only OK base 95 and reliance on Protect. Moonblast is there for reliable damage thanks to its now-buffed 95 SpA. Aromatherapy lets Clefable act as a cleric for the team along with clearing its own status, which is great on any set running Unaware over Magic Guard, which it should since it can't take many +2 attacks and Aromatherapy lets you get around status. Ice Beam lets you nail Offensive Zapdos for a 2HKO as opposed to barely 3HKOing like Moonblast does. Fire Blast lets you roast Steel-types that try to resist Fairy. Finally, Toxic lets you status other walls. Ice Beam also lets you beat Nidoqueens that don't run Sludge Wave / Bomb

The EVs might change depending on what is actually in UU, but I think these are good benchmarks for right now.
Looks a good set, just a few nitpicks
-Even with faeries, nidoqueen doesn't have room for sludge wave, so you're safe there. Roserade on the other hand, does have room for sludge bomb, so probably don't use it to check roserade, but checking nidoqueen is okay.
-Not sure if you factored in the power drop of thunderbolt for zapdos, since base power has gone from 95 to 90, so you may be able to tank better.
-Mienshao never runs reckless with life orb, so you're still right to tank that, since its either LO with regenerator, or choice scarf and reckless. You didn't check stone edge as a calculation by any chance though?

Otherwise, seems fine. Again I'd look into how it tanks stone edge as that will be key as to how it deals with most of UU's fighting types.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Looks a good set, just a few nitpicks
-Even with faeries, nidoqueen doesn't have room for sludge wave, so you're safe there. Roserade on the other hand, does have room for sludge bomb, so probably don't use it to check roserade, but checking nidoqueen is okay.
-Not sure if you factored in the power drop of thunderbolt for zapdos, since base power has gone from 95 to 90, so you may be able to tank better.
-Mienshao never runs reckless with life orb, so you're still right to tank that, since its either LO with regenerator, or choice scarf and reckless. You didn't check stone edge as a calculation by any chance though?

Otherwise, seems fine. Again I'd look into how it tanks stone edge as that will be key as to how it deals with most of UU's fighting types.
Good call on Roserade - completely forgot about Sludge Bomb. Also, I didn't factor in the power drop on TBolt. Original post has been modified.

Also, it should take Stone Edge's from Fighting-type really well, considering resists Reckless HJK from Mienshao is stronger than neutral Stone Edge, and LO Reckless HJK only 3HKO's my spread. Still, if you want Stone Edge from Regenshao (Reckless HJK does more), then here you go:

252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 132 Def Clefable: 152-179 (38.57 - 45.43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

EDIT: Should be obvious, but Clefairy deals with Heracross very well too. (Has troubles with Heracross at +3 or 4 depending on what it is locked into though)

Last edited:
You are probably better using Moonlight, which has become a good option with the rain nerf(Softboiled is sadly illegal with Unaware), and saving a slot for whatever you want, even Aromatherapy if you want to get rid of status.
I have an easier time running RestTalk because it cures status and restores back to full health on the same turn. The Aromatherapy + Moonlight combo might work better when running a more defensive pivot, but the limited PP of each move plus the offchance of a Sandstorm team ruining the recovery are not very appealing. You'd be better off running Magic Guard + Softboiled if you wanted that role to be filled, as otherwise Clefable will be worn down by alternating recovery with status removal.

This Unaware set is supposed to take advantage of those who try setting up on Clefable, as they more often than not won't have the EVs invested to 2HKO Clefable without the proper set up move. Being able to recover from the oddball status and return to full health in one move is especially powerful, especially for a Pokemon that can afford to sponge a few hits after setting up a Calm Mind or two. This set does its share of weaknesses, namely the usual Taunt/Trick/Haze runners plus whichever types resist the only attacking move, but I feel that Rest is a much better option for running solo than Moonlight.

So there are like three dedicated clerics at the moment: Sylveon, Florges and Clefable.

Although Sylveon after pokebank will have Heal Bell, and Florges has Aromatherapy, they are much better on the specially defensive side. But I feel that magic guard is a really good niche for Clefable as it doesn't care about hazards, which is important for a cleric as it needs to switch in and out. Do people tend to run Calm and make it a dedicated special wall, or do more of a balanced defenses set similar to utility Jellicent? I find the dedicated special wall to not be that bulky as strong special attackers can break it.

Last edited:

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
So there are like three dedicated clerics at the moment: Sylveon, Florges and Clefable.

Although Sylveon after pokebank will have Heal Bell, and Florges has Aromatherapy, they are much better on the specially defensive side. But I feel that magic guard is a really good niche for Clefable as it doesn't care about hazards, which is important for a cleric as it needs to switch in and out. Do people tend to run Calm and make it a dedicated special wall, or do more of a balanced defenses set similar to utility Jellicent? I find the dedicated special wall to not be that bulky as strong special attackers can break it.
Absolutely, Magic Guard is what makes Clefable stand out from the other Fairy-types, and it's as amazing as ever. I use Clefable as a physically-bulky Fairy, since the others that you mentioned like Florges and Sylveon far outclass it in terms of Special Defense. Focusing on Clefable's respectable 95/73 physical bulk makes it a better check to physical Dragons and the like.

In addition to providing support (apparently Gamefreak decided that every single fairy needed to learn Wish and/or Aromatherapy) Clefable can run an amazing late-game Calm Mind set, using Moonblast alongside Wish and Protect to keep it healthy while it's naturally immune to passive damage.

well it's been talked about in this thread, didn't bother to check when I made this post in the Creative moveset thread, But Psych Up is an incredible move on fable

Well something i've been playing around with

Clefable @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Unaware
252 HP/252 Def

Psych Up
Cosmic Power
Stored Power
Moon Blast/Flamethrower

Not incredibly reliable but with the right team this set has been pretty interesting. Many people don't really consider clefable a threat so hey why not boost against it right?

But it has a very useful niche with the ability Unaware and the move Psych up. With proper support (Screens/Passes/Etc) and the right checks to things like Aegislash, You can turn the opponents set up sweeper into your own set up fodder, and since alot of the boosting moves you'll be running into in OU involve physical attacks anyway, you can opt to go physical come pokebank when fable has Access to Move tutor moves

Stolen Catchphrase joined.
sizzerp joined.
Format:
OU (beta)
Rated battle

Evasion Abilities Clause: Evasion abilities are banned
Sleep Clause Mod: Limit one foe put to sleep
Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokemon
OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
Moody Clause: Moody is banned
Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
HP Percentage Mod: HP is reported as percentages
sizzerp's team:Greninja / Klefki / Kabutops / Clefable / Smeargle / Charizard
Stolen Catchphrase's team:Garchomp / Blaziken / Bisharp / Gardevoir / Cloyster / Gengar
Battle between Stolen Catchphrase and sizzerp started!

Stolen Catchphrase sent out Blaziken!

Go! Smeargle!
Turn 1

Blaziken has Mega Evolved into Mega Blaziken!

Smeargle used Sticky Web!
Sticky Web started!

The opposing Blaziken used High Jump Kick!
It's super effective! Smeargle hung on using its Focus Sash!
Smeargle lost 99.7% of its health!

The opposing Blaziken's Speed Boost raised its Speed!
Turn 2
Stolen Catchphrase: i'm so happy my favorite pokemon got a mega evolution.

Smeargle used King's Shield!

The opposing Blaziken used Fire Punch!
Smeargle's King's Shield activated!
The opposing Blaziken's Attack harshly fell!

Turn 3

The opposing Blaziken used Swords Dance!
The opposing Blaziken's Attack sharply rose!

Smeargle used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around the opposing team!

Turn 4
sizzerp: mine may get one
sizzerp: I pray
sizzerp: typhlosion Pls

Smeargle's King's Shield activated!
The opposing Blaziken's Attack harshly fell!

Turn 5

But it failed!

Smeargle lost 0.3% of its health!

Smeargle fainted!

Stolen Catchphrase: that would be awseome.
Stolen Catchphrase: would would it look like?

Go! Klefki!
Turn 6

Klefki used Reflect!
Reflect raised your team's Defense!

Turn 7

Klefki used Thunder Wave!
The opposing Blaziken is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

It's super effective! Klefki lost 51.9% of its health!
Turn 8

Klefki used Light Screen!
Light Screen raised your team's Special Defense!

It's super effective! Klefki lost 48.1% of its health!

Klefki fainted!

Go! Clefable!
Turn 9
Stolen Catchphrase: typhloshion will most likely get one when pokebank comes out.as well as the other starters.

Clefable lost 19.3% of its health!

Clefable used Psych Up!
Clefable copied the opposing Blaziken's stat changes!

Clefable restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 10

Clefable used Cosmic Power!
Clefable's Defense rose!
Clefable's Special Defense rose!

Turn 11

Clefable used Psych Up!

Turn 12

Clefable used Psych Up!

Clefable lost 19.0% of its health!

Turn 13

Clefable's Defense rose!

Your team's Reflect wore off!
Turn 14

Clefable used Stored Power!
It's super effective! The opposing Blaziken lost 100% of its health!

The opposing Blaziken fainted!

sizzerp: unaware

Stolen Catchphrase sent out Bisharp!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Bisharp!
The opposing Bisharp's Speed fell!
Turn 15
sizzerp: pretty underrated ability in the right circumstances
Stolen Catchphrase: that was a big derp move on my part.

Clefable used Moonblast!
A critical hit! The opposing Bisharp lost 78% of its health!

The opposing Bisharp used Iron Head!
It's super effective! Clefable lost 57.4% of its health!
The opposing Bisharp lost some of its HP!

Your team's Light Screen wore off!
Turn 16
Stolen Catchphrase: what does it do?

Clefable used Moonblast!
The opposing Bisharp lost 6% of its health!

The opposing Bisharp fainted!

Stolen Catchphrase sent out Gengar!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Gengar!
Turn 17
sizzerp: ignores any and every stat boost

It's super effective! The opposing Gengar lost 88% of its health!

The opposing Gengar fainted!

Stolen Catchphrase: holy crap.
sizzerp: and of course

Stolen Catchphrase sent out Gardevoir!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Gardevoir!
The opposing Gardevoir's Speed fell!
Turn 18
sizzerp: Psych up copies them
sizzerp: and stored power gets 20BP for every 1 stat boost
Stolen Catchphrase: well my ass is getting handed to me.

It's not very effective... The opposing Gardevoir lost 31% of its health!

The opposing Gardevoir used Moonblast!
Clefable lost 32.2% of its health!
Clefable's Special Attack fell!

Turn 19

Clefable used Moonblast!
The opposing Gardevoir lost 22% of its health!

Clefable lost 30.5% of its health!
Clefable's Special Attack fell!

Turn 20
sizzerp: the SpA Drop >><
Stolen Catchphrase: i'm hopeful gardevoir will get more usage now that it's part fairy.

It's not very effective... The opposing Gardevoir lost 16% of its health!

Clefable lost 8.6% of its health!

Clefable fainted!

Go! Charizard!
Turn 21

Charizard used Dragon Dance!
Charizard's Attack rose!
Charizard's Speed rose!

The opposing Gardevoir used Psychic!
Charizard lost 57.7% of its health!
Turn 22

Charizard has Mega Evolved into Mega Charizard!

Charizard used Dragon Claw!
It doesn't affect the opposing Gardevoir...

The opposing Gardevoir used Psychic!
Charizard lost 42.3% of its health!

Charizard fainted!
Stolen Catchphrase: blaziken, gardevoir and garchomp are my top 3 faves.
sizzerp: MISCLICK
sizzerp: Lol

Go! Greninja!
Turn 23
sizzerp: eh oh well

Greninja's Protean made it the Fire type!

Greninja used Hidden Power!
The opposing Gardevoir lost 18% of its health!
Greninja lost some of its HP!

The opposing Gardevoir fainted!

Stolen Catchphrase sent out Cloyster!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Cloyster!
The opposing Cloyster's Speed fell!
Turn 24
Stolen Catchphrase: it's rediculous how crafty people can be with protean greninja.

Greninja's Protean made it the Grass type!

Greninja used Grass Knot!
It's super effective! The opposing Cloyster lost 76% of its health!

The opposing Cloyster fainted!

Stolen Catchphrase sent out Garchomp!
The opposing Garchomp's Speed fell!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Garchomp!
Turn 25
sizzerp: i personally only think 6 moves are viable on him
sizzerp: nothing more nothing less
Register an account to protect your ladder rating!
Register

Greninja's Protean made it the Ice type!

Greninja used Ice Beam!
It's super effective! The opposing Garchomp ate its Yache Berry!
The opposing Garchomp lost 94% of its health!

The opposing Garchomp fainted!

sizzerp won the battle!
Ladder updating...
Ladder (probably) updated, but score could not be retrieved (corruption).
sizzerp: gg
Stolen Catchphrase: gg
Stolen Catchphrase left.

StafeTest joined.
sizzerp joined.
Format:
OU (beta)
Rated battle

StafeTest's team:Alakazam / Blaziken / Garchomp / Tyranitar / Gyarados / Scizor
Battle between StafeTest and sizzerp started!

StafeTest sent out Scizor!

Go! Smeargle!
Turn 1

Sticky Web started!

The opposing Scizor used U-turn!
Smeargle hung on using its Focus Sash!
Smeargle lost 99.7% of its health!

The opposing Scizor went back to StafeTest!

StafeTest sent out Gyarados!
The opposing Gyarados intimidates Smeargle!
Smeargle's Attack fell!
Turn 2

Gyarados has Mega Evolved into Mega Gyarados!
The opposing Gyarados breaks the mold!

The opposing Gyarados used Waterfall!
Smeargle lost 0.3% of its health!

Smeargle fainted!

Go! Klefki!
Turn 3

Klefki used Reflect!

The opposing Gyarados used Dragon Dance!
The opposing Gyarados's Attack rose!
The opposing Gyarados's Speed rose!
Turn 4

The opposing Gyarados is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

Turn 5

Klefki, come back!

Go! Clefable!

The opposing Gyarados is paralyzed! It can't move!
Turn 6

Clefable used Psych Up!
Clefable copied the opposing Gyarados's stat changes!

Clefable lost 33.0% of its health!

Turn 7

It doesn't affect the opposing Gyarados...

The opposing Gyarados is paralyzed! It can't move!

Turn 8
sizzerp: derp i meant to click something else

Clefable's Defense rose!

Turn 9

Clefable's Defense rose!

Clefable lost 17.5% of its health!

Turn 10
StafeTest: this game aint going well for me...\

Clefable used Moonblast!
It's super effective! The opposing Gyarados lost 40% of its health!

Turn 11

Clefable's Defense rose!

Clefable lost 38.1% of its health!

Turn 12

Clefable used Moonblast!
It's super effective! The opposing Gyarados lost 43% of its health!

Clefable lost 35.0% of its health!

Turn 13

Clefable used Moonblast!
It's super effective! The opposing Gyarados lost 17% of its health!

The opposing Gyarados fainted!

Pointed stones dug into the opposing Scizor!
The opposing Scizor's Speed fell!
Turn 14

The opposing Scizor used Bullet Punch!
It's super effective! Clefable lost 24.9% of its health!

Clefable fainted!

Go! Klefki!
Turn 15

Klefki used Reflect!

A critical hit! Klefki lost 80.9% of its health!
Turn 16

Klefki, come back!

Go! Charizard!

It's not very effective... Charizard lost 16.8% of its health!
Turn 17

StafeTest withdrew Scizor!

StafeTest sent out Garchomp!
The opposing Garchomp's Speed fell!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Garchomp!

Charizard's Attack rose!
Charizard's Speed rose!
Turn 18

Charizard used Dragon Claw!
A critical hit! It's super effective! The opposing Garchomp lost 94% of its health!
Charizard is hurt by the opposing Garchomp's Rough Skin!

The opposing Garchomp fainted!

StafeTest sent out Alakazam!
The opposing Alakazam's Speed fell!
Turn 19
sizzerp: your Azam is mega isn't it

Charizard used Earthquake!
The opposing Alakazam hung on using its Focus Sash!
The opposing Alakazam lost 99% of its health!

The opposing Alakazam used Hidden Power!
Charizard lost 26.5% of its health!
Turn 20
sizzerp: nope

The opposing Alakazam lost 1% of its health!

The opposing Alakazam fainted!

StafeTest sent out Tyranitar!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Tyranitar!
The opposing Tyranitar's Speed fell!
A sandstorm kicked up!
Turn 21

It's super effective! The opposing Tyranitar lost 88% of its health!

The opposing Tyranitar fainted!
The sandstorm rages.

Charizard is buffeted by the sandstorm!
StafeTest: gyrados was...i just forgot

Pointed stones dug into the opposing Scizor!
The opposing Scizor's Speed fell!
Turn 22
sizzerp: Lol derp
sizzerp: im forgetful

The opposing Scizor used Quick Attack!
Charizard lost 16.8% of its health!

Charizard used Flare Blitz!
It's super effective! The opposing Scizor lost 76% of its health!
Charizard is damaged by recoil!

The opposing Scizor fainted!

Charizard fainted!
The sandstorm rages.

StafeTest: i just made this team

StafeTest sent out Blaziken!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Blaziken!
The opposing Blaziken's Speed fell!

Go! Klefki!
Turn 23
StafeTest: gg
sizzerp: im screwing around with teams as well

The opposing Blaziken is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The opposing Blaziken used Flare Blitz!
It's super effective! Klefki lost 19.1% of its health!
The opposing Blaziken is damaged by recoil!
The opposing Blaziken lost some of its HP!

Klefki fainted!
The sandstorm rages.

The opposing Blaziken is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Go! Kabutops!
Turn 24
Register

Kabutops used Waterfall!
It's super effective! The opposing Blaziken lost 66% of its health!

The opposing Blaziken fainted!

sizzerp won the battle!
Ladder updating...
StafeTest's rating: 1603 → 1465
(-138 for losing)
sizzerp's rating: 1465 → 1477
(+12 for winning)
sizzerp: gg
Your message was not sent because you've

sizzerp joined.
sxxxysquirtle joined.
Format:
OU (beta)
Rated battle

sxxxysquirtle's team:Scolipede / Vaporeon / Dragonite / Cinccino / Ferrothorn / Sableye
Battle between sizzerp and sxxxysquirtle started!

Go! Clefable!

sxxxysquirtle sent out Sableye!
Turn 1
sizzerp: the misclicks
sizzerp: Zzzz

Clefable, come back!

Go! Smeargle!

The opposing Sableye used Taunt!
Smeargle fell for the taunt!
Turn 2

Smeargle, come back!

Go! Charizard!

The opposing Sableye used Confuse Ray!
Charizard became confused!
Turn 3

Charizard, come back!

Go! Kabutops!

The opposing Sableye used Will-O-Wisp!
Kabutops was burned!

Kabutops was hurt by its burn!
Turn 4

Kabutops, come back!

Go! Greninja!

Greninja became confused!
Turn 5

Greninja, come back!

Go! Charizard!

Charizard avoided the attack!
Turn 6

Charizard is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
Turn 7

But it failed!
Charizard snapped out of its confusion.

Charizard's Attack rose!
Charizard's Speed rose!
Turn 8

The opposing Sableye used Taunt!
Charizard fell for the taunt!

Charizard can't use Dragon Dance after the taunt!
Turn 9

Charizard is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
Turn 10

Charizard is confused!

Charizard used Flare Blitz!
The opposing Sableye lost 100% of its health!
Charizard is damaged by recoil!

The opposing Sableye fainted!

Charizard's taunt wore off!

sxxxysquirtle sent out Vaporeon!
Turn 11

Charizard is confused!

Charizard's Attack rose!
Charizard's Speed rose!

The opposing Vaporeon used Scald!
Charizard lost 31.2% of its health!

Charizard fainted!

Go! Smeargle!
Turn 12

The opposing Vaporeon used Acid Armor!
The opposing Vaporeon's Defense sharply rose!
Turn 13

Sticky Web started!

Turn 14

Smeargle, come back!

Go! Clefable!

Turn 15

The opposing Vaporeon used Baton Pass!

sxxxysquirtle sent out Scolipede!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Scolipede!
The opposing Scolipede's Speed fell!

Clefable used Psych Up!
Clefable copied the opposing Scolipede's stat changes!

The opposing Scolipede restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 16

The opposing Scolipede used Swords Dance!
The opposing Scolipede's Attack sharply rose!

Clefable used Psych Up!

The opposing Scolipede's Speed Boost raised its Speed!
Turn 17

The opposing Scolipede used Protect!
The opposing Scolipede protected itself!

Clefable used Psych Up!

Turn 18

The opposing Scolipede used Baton Pass!

sxxxysquirtle sent out Cinccino!
The opposing Cinccino's Speed fell!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Cinccino!

Clefable used Psych Up!
Clefable copied the opposing Cinccino's stat changes!
Turn 19

The opposing Cinccino used Tail Slap!
Clefable avoided the attack!

Turn 20

Clefable lost 1.8% of its health!
A critical hit! Clefable lost 11.4% of its health!
Clefable lost 2.5% of its health!
Clefable lost 2.3% of its health!
Hit 5 time(s)!

Clefable flinched and couldn't move!

Turn 21

The opposing Cinccino used Bullet Seed!
Clefable lost 1.5% of its health!
Hit 5 time(s)!

Turn 22

Hit 5 time(s)!

Turn 23
sizzerp: Kings rock pls

Hit 5 time(s)!

Turn 24
sizzerp: ive never gotten these many flinches in the actual game with this set <_<

Hit 5 time(s)!

Turn 25
sizzerp: somethins is wrong here <_<
sxxxysquirtle: I've never gotten this many flinches with set before either

The opposing Cinccino lost 77% of its health!

Turn 26

Hit 5 time(s)!

Turn 27

The opposing Cinccino lost 11% of its health!

The opposing Cinccino fainted!

sizzerp: seems like its always flinching me when the attack lands :P

sxxxysquirtle sent out Ferrothorn!
The opposing Ferrothorn's Speed fell!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Ferrothorn!
Turn 28

Clefable, come back!

Go! Greninja!

The opposing Ferrothorn used Thunder Wave!
Greninja is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
Turn 29

Greninja's Protean made it the Fire type!

Greninja used Hidden Power!
It's super effective! The opposing Ferrothorn lost 94% of its health!

The opposing Ferrothorn fainted!

sxxxysquirtle sent out Vaporeon!
The opposing Vaporeon's Speed fell!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Vaporeon!
Turn 30
sizzerp: Dammit I knew I should have ran a cleric and not Kabutops here >_>

Greninja, come back!

Go! Klefki!

The opposing Vaporeon used Scald!
Klefki lost 30.3% of its health!

The opposing Vaporeon restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 31

Klefki used Reflect!

The opposing Vaporeon restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 32

The opposing Vaporeon is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The opposing Vaporeon is paralyzed! It can't move!
Turn 33

Klefki used Reflect!
But it failed!

The opposing Vaporeon used Baton Pass!

sxxxysquirtle sent out Scolipede!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Scolipede!
The opposing Scolipede's Speed fell!

Turn 34

Klefki, come back!

Go! Clefable!

Turn 35

Clefable's Defense rose!

Turn 36

The opposing Scolipede used Earthquake!
Clefable lost 5.6% of its health!

Clefable's Defense rose!

Turn 37

Clefable used Psych Up!

Turn 38

The opposing Scolipede used Baton Pass!

sxxxysquirtle sent out Dragonite!
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Dragonite!

Clefable used Psych Up!
Clefable copied the opposing Dragonite's stat changes!

Turn 39

The opposing Dragonite used Earthquake!
Clefable lost 15.2% of its health!

Clefable used Moonblast!
It's super effective! The opposing Dragonite lost 55.0% of its health!

Turn 40

The opposing Dragonite used Fire Punch!
Clefable lost 12.2% of its health!
Clefable was burned!

Clefable used Moonblast!
It's super effective! The opposing Dragonite lost 21% of its health!

The opposing Dragonite fainted!

Clefable was hurt by its burn!
sxxxysquirtle forfeited.
Register

sizzerp won the battle!
Ladder updating...
sxxxysquirtle left.
sizzerp's rating: 1517 → 1527
(+10 for winning)
sxxxysquirtle's rating: 1654 → 1649
(-5 for losing)

Absolutely, Magic Guard is what makes Clefable stand out from the other Fairy-types, and it's as amazing as ever. I use Clefable as a physically-bulky Fairy, since the others that you mentioned like Florges and Sylveon far outclass it in terms of Special Defense. Focusing on Clefable's respectable 95/73 physical bulk makes it a better check to physical Dragons and the like.

In addition to providing support (apparently Gamefreak decided that every single fairy needed to learn Wish and/or Aromatherapy) Clefable can run an amazing late-game Calm Mind set, using Moonblast alongside Wish and Protect to keep it healthy while it's naturally immune to passive damage.
Ah ok! Yeah I noticed that Bold Clefable can always survive a 2HKO by +1 Earthquake from max attack Adamant Dragonite. Florges can't do that with max defensive investment and for Sylveon there is a small chance at 2HKO, and a guarantee with stealth rock. I was thinking of giving my Clefable Life Orb so it still maintains some offensive presence as it effectively makes it's special attack 131 instead of 95 and magic guard ignores the recoil.

Pointing out since I lost a ladder match to a set containing this:

You CANNOT have Softboiled with Unaware or any move learned by breeding after Gen 3. It is a simulator bug.

Egg Moves it cannot run with Softboiled:

Fake Tears
Covet
Aromatherapy

Stored Power is a level up move on clefairy it would seem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)