Cloudy with a 100% chance of rain: Gen. Empoleon vs Mind

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, here is another Warstory from Gen. Empoleon. This time my friend Mind and I decided that we should have a small group of battles just for fun. This match was probably the best one out of the five or so that we did. It was pretty short actually, but we both know each others teams; so we know what we have to get around. This match uses Parasect and another new face to Ubers, Ludicolo. These two monsters will break the world, thanks to the might.

Gen. Empoleon's Team:

Mind's Team:

I'm running my well known "Magic Mushroom Team" since I haven't had a battle that used Parasect in a good long time. The issue with this team is that it is severly weak to Rock Polish Life Orb Groudon once Stealth Rocks are down. Infact, Mind has beaten almsot every time thanks to Groudon, so my main goal for this game is to get Groudon out of the way. He also runs a Scarf Dialga which can cause problems, but Garchomp can revenge kill with a STAB Earthquake. Mind and I both are carrying counters for Specs Kyogre, and we're going to use this knowledge through the entire game.

• Sleep Clause
• Freeze Clause
• OHKO Clause
• Evasion Clause
• Species Clause
• Strict Damage Clause

My comments, as always, are purple
Minds comments will be in green
The score will be in red
The battle will be bolded
The damage (in percents) will be underlined
Leftovers will be ommited
Gen. Empoleon: Parasect and Lugia
Mind: Ludicolo
Sand Storm damage will be ommited
When two of the same pokemon are out, mine will have a * by its name

Gen. Empoleon sent out Deoxys-f.
Mind sent out Deoxys-e.
Deoxys-e is exerting its pressure!
Deoxys-f is exerting its pressure!

Well we've done this about four times already, I always attack with Shadow Ball then go for the kill with Extreme Speed, my team doesn't really care of Stealth Rocks get down. First match Mind made the mistake of taunting my Deoxys, so he didn't get his Stealth Rocks down at all.

Like Gen. just said, we did this like four times, the first two times, i made the fault doing Taunt, but now I go for Stealth Rock, because it's important for my pokemon to sweep.

Deoxys-e used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!
Deoxys-f used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
Deoxys-e lost 72% of its health.

: 100%
: 28%

Mind did what I expected him to do, now like always I'm going to use Extreme Speed and pick off his Deoxys while he does the same to break my sash.

I don't want a Sash Deoxys, because then he get the chance of set up his rocks, and hurt one of my pokemon, so I'll pick Extremespeed.

---
Deoxys-e used Extremespeed.
Deoxys-f lost 83% of its health.
Deoxys-f used Extremespeed.
Deoxys-e lost 28% of its health.
mind ou's Deoxys-e fainted.

: 17%
: KO'd
6-5 Gen. Empoleon

There are a few pokemon in Minds team that I find threatening. Groudon is the main one. I am hoping that he won't bring Groudon in to Rock Polish, as that will be a "GG" right away.

---
Mind switched in Ludicolo.

Instead Mind switches in his dancing duck. I don't want to bring any of my team in, and since Deoxys is going to have such a limited run as it is, I decide to Shadow Ball to deal some damage to Ludicolo.

Deoxys-f used Shadow Ball.
Ludicolo lost 22% of its health.
Ludicolo's special defence was lowered.
Ludicolo used Grass Knot.
Deoxys-f lost 17% of its health.
Gen. Empoleon's Deoxys-f fainted.

: 84% - 1 SpDef
5-5 Tie

Deoxys goes down and I'm left facing something that most people wouldn't even find threatening. Ludicolo isn't hit Super Effectivly by much really, Bug-type attacks are the only thing that come to mind. I know just the bug for the job as well.

---
Gen. Empoleon switched in Parasect.
Pointed stones dug into Parasect.
Parasect lost 25% of its health.

Parasect doesn't like rocks, but boy does he love to eat! In fact he has his eyes set on that part Water-type part Grass-type pokemon. I thought about using X-Scissor right here right now, but then I thought of the pain it would cause of Groudon or his Dialga came in to take the attack. So instead I use Spore, worse case Parasect takes a bit of damage and his Ludicolo goes to sleep.

I guess he will spore, right now, and since I don't have a sleep absorber, I will just Ice Beam, to weaken Parasect.

Ludicolo used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Parasect lost 44% of its health.
Parasect used Spore.
Ludicolo fell asleep!

: 37%
: 90% - 1 SpDef + asleep

Parasect shrugs off the Ice Beam and the duck is now fast asleep. Double Powder is the way to go, but the problem is if I predict wrong then nothing happens. Who would leave a Ludicolo in on something with a STAB Bug-type attack though? I decide that Stun Spore was a pretty low risk move out of all my options.

This is hard for me, he could either Scissor me or go for Stun Spore, Stun spore will be his safest way, so he probably go for Stun Spore.

---
Ludicolo is fast asleep!
Parasect used Stun Spore.
But it failed!

: 43%
: 96% - 1 SpDef + asleep

He kept Ludicolo in. Now here comes an issue; what is going through Mind's head? Most normaly players after having their powder fail will switch out to another pokemon. Me, being the cocky and believing myself no matter what, decide that Stun Spore was the best option again.

This worked out pretty well, now he has the same two options again, but this time I don't want to risk it, so I go to groudon who can take X-Scissor.

---
Mind switched in Groudon.
Groudon's Drought intensified the sun's rays!
The sun began to shine!
Parasect used Stun Spore.
Groudon is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
The sun continues to shine.
Parasect was hurt by the sunlight!
Parasect lost 12% of its health.

: 37%
: 100% + paralyze

Parasect gets a sun burn, but his Groudon is now paralysed and not a threat to me in any way. I'll probably need Parasect later in the game to take a Water-type attack from Kyogre, so I retreat and send in my Groudon counter.

That was some nice prediction from Gen. I decide to go for the earthquake since he probably predict the Stone edge.

---
Gen. Empoleon switched in Lugia.
Lugia is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Lugia.
Lugia lost 25% of its health.
Groudon used Earthquake.
It doesn't affect Lugia...

: 81%

Lugia takes some rocks and flies over an Earthquake. I don't want to risk switching out to take a Stone Edge, so I use Reflect to help me beat Groudon later in the game if Lugia dies in an unfortunate event.

Wich pokemon must i switch in now, or must I stay with Groudon?
I decide to go for kyorge, but then there is still that annoying Parasect, but wait if I use Ice beam, Kyorge gets a free way of sweeping.

---
Mind switched in Kyogre.
Kyogre's Drizzle caused a storm!
The sun faded.
Rain began to fall!
Lugia used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!
The rain continues to fall.

: 87% + Reflect

Kyogre can OHKO my Lugia with a Water Spout at 100%, I make an error and do something which made me cry a little...

---
Gen. Empoleon switched in Parasect.
Pointed stones dug into Parasect.
Parasect lost 25% of its health.
Kyogre used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Parasect lost 12% of its health.
Gen. Empoleon's Parasect fainted.

; KO'd =[
4-5 Mind

I will avenge you. The actual reason I switched in Parasect was because I needed to know what move Mind was going to do. I couldn't risk any of my other pokemon to his attacks, and Parasect had a 50% chance to live through the event. His Kyogre is stuck in Ice Beam, I don't have any other Ice-types resists besides my own Kyogre...

---
Gen. Empoleon switched in Kyogre.
Pointed stones dug into Kyogre.

Kyogre lost 12% of its health.

Rocks are already taking their toll on me. Right now Water Spout will make Kyogre extremely weak, but Ludicolo can come in and shrug off the attack like nothing. In fact Ludicolo can come in on any of Kyogres attacks. Lucky for me Mind is using Rain Dish, which means I can out speed his Ludicolo if he decides to bring him in. I use Thunder as it will hit Ludicolo for regular damage and maybe a 2HKO.

Oof, I forgot about that beastly thing here. Now I just go to Ludicolo, to scout his move, and he no longer has a Kyogre counter as Parasect is dead.

Mind switched in Ludicolo.
Kyogre used Thunder.
A critical hit!
Ludicolo lost 96% of its health.
Mind's Ludicolo fainted.

: 88% + reflect
4-4 Tie

This is what Parasect deserved. I get a lucky Critical Hit and Ludicolo is no more. Though now Mind can switch in his Groudon to force me out and to deal some damage to my team.

That crit sucked, I have no longer have a full Kyogre counter, but I still carry a Latias to wall it.

---
Mind switched in Latias.

Or Mind can switch in Latias to deal with me. I can't risk Kyogre taking a Thunder; so I switch to my Latias counter, Tyranitar, to take the incoming Thunder and then Pursuit the happy Dragon to death.

Latias is my best choice as it can wall Kyogre out, and give me a way to scout Gen's move with Subsitute

Gen. Empoleon switched in Tyranitar.
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
The rain stopped.
A sandstorm brewed!
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.
Latias used Substitute.
Latias lost 25% of its health.
Latias made a substitute!
The sandstorm rages.

: 88% + Reflect
: 69% + Sub

Fuck Sub, this could mean trouble, either way if he decides to stay in I break his sub, if not then nothing really happens.

Yeah Pursuit, well if I stay in i lose, so I decide to take the Sub damage for me, and finally switch in Groudon.

---
Tyranitar used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Latias!
Latias's substitute faded!
The sandstorm stopped.
The sun began to shine!
Tyranitar's reflect wore off!

: 88% + Locked into Pursuit

This was a bad turn for me, reflect ended Groudon came in, and Tyranitar is locked into Pursuit. I switch to Lugia so she can maybe Roost off some damage, and then stay fresh for later when i need her.

Okay he probably will switch in his Lugia, or he's a superpredicter, or he's dumb, so I'll switch in Kyorge for a deadly Water Sprout

---
Gen. Empoleon switched in Lugia.
Lugia is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Lugia.
Lugia lost 25% of its health.
mind ou switched in Kyogre.
The sun faded.
Rain began to fall!

: 68%

Double switch and now I'm left facing off against this Kyogre again. I can't let anything else die, Lugia is the most expendable. I set up Reflect to give me something to do against Groudon and watch as my bird gets its bones broken by Water Spout.

---
Lugia used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!
Kyogre used Water Spout.
Lugia lost 69% of its health.
Gen. Empoleon's Lugia fainted.

3-4 Mind

Water Spout is an issue to me, but I can send in my own Kyogre to scare him off and maybe get a free KO.

---

Stealth Rocks is really taking a toll on my Kyogre, Water Spout is not getting severly weakened. I have three moves to choose from: Water Spout, Thunder and Ice Beam. Ice Beam will hit his Latias, Dialga and Groudon, Thunder will only hit his Kyogre. Water Spout doesn't care about resistances, but if Latias comes in then I can't do much back.

I can't risk being his kyorge faster than mine, so I'll sacrafice groudon for 3 Options.
1) Get the Sun up and let Dialga switch in.
2) Can take the Thunder.
3) Scout his move.

The rain stopped.
The sun began to shine!
Kyogre used Water Spout.
It's super effective!
Groudon lost 100% of its health.
mind ou's Groudon fainted.

: 76%+ Reflect
3-3 Tie

I decided to use Water Spout as Mind wouldn't seem like the type to risk his Kyogre in a coin flip, and would predict me to use Thunder, making Groudon the only logical switch in.

Byebye groudon =(

---
Mind switched in Dialga.
Dialga is exerting its pressure!

His Dialga comes in most likely to use Thunder or to Dragon Pulse, I guess Tyranitar can come in, Threaten it out with Earthqauke, or use Crunch to his the Latias switch in.

He can't use Water Sprout again, that will do like 15% after a move from me. The logic switch in for him is Tyranitar but luckily I have Aura Sphere.

Gen. Empoleon switched in Tyranitar.
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
The sun faded.
A sandstorm brewed!
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.
Dialga used Aura Sphere.
fuck...
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 68% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.

: 7% + Reflect

Mind out predicts me and I'm left with a Tyranitar almost dead. Though I am amazed that Tyranitar could surive that x4 attack. I need to sacrifice Tyranitar to give Garchomp a free switch in, and possibly a free sweep.

=), that worked out pretty well for me.

---
Dialga used Aura Sphere.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 7% of its health.
Gen. Empoleon's Tyranitar fainted.
The sandstorm rages.

2-3 Mind

Garchomp is my only option, Kyogre can't do much to his Dialga, or that his own Kyogre wouldn't resist.

---
Gen. Empoleon switched in Garchomp.
Pointed stones dug into Garchomp.
Garchomp lost 6% of its health.

On his team nothing can handle an Outrage that well. Dialga should be 2HKO'd and Kyogre should be as well. Latias is a OHKO obviously, so it all depends on who he switches what into.

Oh shit, no Garchomp counter, I can't leave Dialga in for the 2HKO. Kyogre is also at risk for the 2HKO.
I go for latias, Garchomp, will outspeed my Latias anyways. It doesn't matter anymore if Gen has no hax. But the safest switch in is Latias.

Mind switched in Latias.
Garchomp used Outrage.
Garchomp went on a rampage!
It's super effective!
Latias lost 69% of its health.
mind ou's Latias fainted.
Garchomp's reflect wore off!
The sandstorm rages.

: 94% + Locked into Outrage
2-2 Tie

Mind makes the smart move and sends in Latias to take the hit and to die. Dialga still cannot switch in safely, due to Sand Veil and of course Outrage. His only switch in left is...

---
Mind switched in Kyogre.
The sandstorm stopped.
Rain began to fall!

Is Kyogre! I remember once my Garchomp 1-shotting a Kyogre, but I don't know if that was because I rolled max damage, or if he just pumped EV's into Special Attack and Speed. I pray for the OHKO
I pumped only EV's in Special Attack and speed, so please don't KO.

Garchomp used Outrage.
Kyogre lost 70% of its health.
Kyogre used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Garchomp lost 94% of its health.
Gen. Empoleon's Garchomp fainted.

: 30%
1-2 Mind

And Garchomp is 30% shy of getting Kyogre out of the way, and giving me a free sweep. On the upside Kyogre is locked (I assume) into Ice Beam. I only have one pokemon left, but I have a plan, though it isn't very good.

Gen and I both know that this game is over.

---

My only option is to use Ice Beam on His Kyogre, hope for a freeze and then maybe have enough HP left to take on his Dialga. It's a long shot of an idea, but it can work with a tiny bit of magic.

I just stick into Ice Beam.

Kyogre used Ice Beam.
It's not very effective...
*Kyogre lost 21% of its health.
*Kyogre used Ice Beam.
Kyogre lost 22% of its health.

(this one is cooler): 43% + Locked into Ice Beam
: 8%

Come on, we all know that my Kyogre is cooler. Kyogre takes Ice Beam and deals one out. Mind's Kyogre is left at 8% and will die next turn, though sadly my Kyogre won't have enough HP to deal with Dialga.

---
Kyogre used Ice Beam.
*Kyogre lost 21% of its health.
*Kyogre used Ice Beam.
Kyogre lost 8% of its health
Mind's Kyogre fainted.
: 19%
1-1 Tie

Kyogre goes down.

do I still have to describe the damn match for you?!

---
Mind switched in
is exerting its pressure!
used Dragon Pulse.

lost 19% of its health.
Gen. Empoleon's
fainted.
Mind wins!

An extremely well played game on both of our parts. There was little "hax" and we both enjoied the games completely. For those who must know I never beat Mind out of all 5 of our games. I still love him though <3

A good game by Gen. Empoleon, we both enjoyed the game very much, and I hope Gen makes more warstory's in the future!

Props:
Parasect and Ludicolo
Kyogre on both sides being threatening
Parasect (again)
Lugia for setting up Reflect
Garchomp for trying to sweep

Slops:
Lugia didn't actually do much
Critical Hit on Ludicolo
Tyranitar + Latias
____

Uber Strong

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good read, close battle :) I love Twash's Uber team, Ludicolo is awesome.

nice. I might point out that flying is SE against Ludicollo, but I don't see many flying type attacks in UBERS. nice Warstory, but what else should I exspect from Gen Empoleon?

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh yeah flying is SE also. I rarely use Flying attacks in any tier, so I guess that maybe why I over looked it.

Thanks for the comments

Nooo, Mind won ;(

Some awesome predictions, coupled with comments to match and finally having a great warstory to go along with it, eagerly make me wait for your next installment.

5 stars and I look forward to your next one.

Parasect is just a bit cooler. Pretty cool warstory allnroujd. Again, because you lost, it proves you WANT to write a warstory and entertain people and not show off your playing skills.

On the subject of Ludicolo's weaknesses, it is also weak to Poison lol.

Anyway, this was an excellent warstory with a unique premise and some interesting mindgames. It's strange how great warstories seem to come along in clusters, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if a few more come along in the next few days.

It's a shame we didn't get to see much of Ludicolo though, I'm curious as to its moveset and EVs. When I used to use Ludicolo I started off using a SubSeed set with Ice Beam + Grass Knot, but then changed it to Sub + Toxic with double STAB after encountering problems with certain Steels and Lugia. But this one was clearly a very different build. It was revealed to have Ice Beam and Rain Dish, and I would guess that it wasn't running Sub given that Mind did not use it whilst staying in against Parasect expecting to take status. That was about it. So yeah, it would be much appreciated if someone could fill me in on the set it was running.

all these UUs in Ubers is Definately uber strong. <3 Gen for another archiveable warstory. <3 Mind for being in another excellent warstory.

Really close battle and an entertaining read. :P It wasn't that much hax either. Good job on the warstory, and I hope to see more of these.

I have to say that though Parasect is cool, Ludicolo is way cooler. This was a very interesting read and I enjoyed it, thanks Gen ( and mind of course)

The interesting thing about Ludicolo is that it is that a Swift Swim Choice Specs Modest 252/252 Ludicolo is the only thing i could come up with that is a 100% revenge killer to Kyogre. On a min HP/SpDef variant, Grass Knot is a OHKO without any residual damage. This is probably not the best way to use him though. =/

Man, I should just study these teams as two examples of the pinnacle of teambuilding. I idolize battle gods like these guys.
Why do you have to be so fantastic all of the time?

Matthew

Because it seems you think too highly of me. Anyone of you on any given day probably have battles just as good as this, yet you decide to not Warstory them; that's something the I find terribly upsetting. Warstories are not difficult to do, if any of you want advice on doing them you can PM me if you would like to.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'll try to start battling a bit more.

It seems people are interested in Ludicolo so here's a link to the Ludicolo Mind was basically using:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51523
Thanks for the link. The main problem I see with that set is that it is Scizor / Forretress bait, which is actually the major problem I encountered when trying to use a set without Surf. Scizor comes in basically for free and shifts the momentum in its favor with U-turn, whilst Forretress gets easy Spikes. The lack of Substitute also leaves you open to status, as this battle demonstrated. It seems like a good answer to Kyogre with the massive Sp Def investment, but I personally prefer to outrun with Swift Swim and hit hard with Grass Knot before taking a second hit, although the extra bulk does give you more assurance against things like Thunder parahax.

These are just small nitpicks though. It is obvious that you can't achieve everything on the same set with a Pokemon like Ludicolo.

Gen you and your damn awesome games o_o. It was a very entertaining match, goodness this really makes me want to get into Ubers, but i'm too unskilled to do so. :P

Anyone of you on any given day probably have battles just as good as this, yet you decide to not Warstory them; that's something the I find terribly upsetting. Warstories are not difficult to do, if any of you want advice on doing them you can PM me if you would like to.
I've been waiting for some time for a battle that really screams that it was great, but it hasn't happened as of late. My battles tend to all seem "typical" somehow, or perhaps I just don't pay enough attention to make a note of the battle being a really good one.
And, the one time I remembered to do it (in a battle against panamaxis), I wanted to warstory it, but somehow the save file, when I opened it, was missing huge chunks!
I do not know how that happened, or why. It seemed really peculiar, and was very disappointing.
I pmed panamaxis, and he unfortunately didn't save the log, although he could confirm that the log was messed up, with a chunk missing.

Perhaps I should wait for a game against a good/famed/highly ranked player on the leaderboard, and then make special note of it if the game was also good, but when I save logs I simply name the file the game number of the day and whether I won or lost (I need to start adding in the opponent's name).
On top of that, the only log I ever opened was the one from the game against panamaxis, which was messed up somehow, so I must be worried if they are all somehow corrupted in that way.

I've watched some great games, however.
A guy called "will-o-wisp" called Brian McCann a noob just as I joined, and then preceded to bring Brian to his last pokemon, while still having all 6 of his own.
After being behind 6-1, the amazing this was, Brian, the "noob", won despite the relatively high health of his opponet's pokemon (that I saw).:jump:

I would certainly like some advice on writing warstories, and then, once I make my return to shoddy after finally building a new team, I will be on high alert for good battles I can warstory. I'll also check some more logs to see if they're messed up as well.

~~~~

On the topic of your warstory here: another entertaining one; good job!
I always like reading about parasect and other underdogs (or rather, uberdogs/uberstrong pokes!), especially in Ubers.

I've personally witnessed, and also experienced, jumpluff ownage done by Theorymon in ubers. That thing is frightening.

Ubers still seems to intimidating for me to really get into; the games I've watched and warstories I've read haven't helped so much.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Finally, there's a warstory about Mind. I've had so many good matches with him.

Anyways, great match. It's a shame about the crit on Ludicolo, but still, it was fun to read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)