Cloyster

Read somewhere that Cursed Body has a 33.3 % chance to work, but that's not confirmed yet, I think - but it's sure that it doesn't work all the time.
Oh, that's god, means that Cloyster doesn't have to risk being forced to switch when attacking.
Although Desukan will probably force a switch too, removing Skill Link would make Cloyster RNG hell until is swaps out.

Bulk isn't very kind to Cloyster.

Meaning Cloyster loses its boosts and takes another hit of SR damage. Meanwhile, unless the Vacuum Waver is Specs'd (a bad idea with Shaderaa around), Shanderaa has to take an attack from said Vacuum Waver. Lucario has both Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse and, assuming Timid, 252 satk, and LO, 4/0 Shanderaa takes 87% minimum from both.
SR is always on the filed, yes.

And Scarf Shanderaa is the way to go.

Cloyster's my favorite Pokemon of all time, and I'm so glad he finally got some good stuff since Gen I and II when he was a beast. I might end up making him a Shell Breaker moveset and back it up with Electivire/Zeburaika against them Bulky Waters. I also will probably end up using Forry or another Spinner with Spike capabilities.

Cloyster's my favorite Pokemon of all time, and I'm so glad he finally got some good stuff since Gen I and II when he was a beast. I might end up making him a Shell Breaker moveset and back it up with Electivire/Zeburaika against them Bulky Waters. I also will probably end up using Forry or another Spinner with Spike capabilities.
You can just run Nattorei, who does both- sets up Spikes and beats the hell out of bulky waters. Neither Cloyster or Nattorei likes Fire or Fighting moves, but Shanderra, Burunkeru, Gyarados, etc all work.

Iron Barbs - Rough Helmet Nuttle counters Cloyster by forcing it to switch out or kill itself. Multi hit moves each activate Rough Skin (according to the research thread) Meaning Cloyster is likely to kill itself after 3-4 hits of Icicle Spear.

what has me jazzed is though we don't get the game until the spring i can basically pre-breed a shellder in HGSS that will become a total monster in BW. looking forward to showing up at League with this little guy completely battle ready.

Looking at this, I can see some synergy between Cloyster and Magnezone just to beat Nuttle, although I (The eternal skeptic) am not sure if Iron Barbs and Rough Skin are EXACTLY the same. Still, Magnezone makes a great partner anyway since Steel resists Ice and Rock attacks. Plus, just because I love him, Garchomp can take Rock attacks aimed at Cloyster, while Cloyster takes Ice attacks... hmm... so the core is Garchomp, Cloyster and Magnezone... then add in some hazards on something like Nuttle/Forretress... mmhmm... I see...

I'm not actually going to Theorymon an entire team, of course, for a couple months. Then we'll see.

Rough Helmet Nattorei gets raped by Shanderaa caused by the fact that it can't use Shed Shell when equipped with Rough Helmet. It also beats the shit out of Lucario, Breloom and Nape, all of which are revenge-killers to Cloyster.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Iron Barbs - Rough Helmet Nuttle counters Cloyster by forcing it to switch out or kill itself. Multi hit moves each activate Rough Skin (according to the research thread) Meaning Cloyster is likely to kill itself after 3-4 hits of Icicle Spear.
Icicle Spear is not a contact move, so Cloyster shouldn't be hurting itself against Nattorei outside of LO recoil. Unless for some reason Iron Barbs works against non-contact moves too, Nattorei is not a counter.

First of all, I'm not an expert, and I just read the first page so I don't know if this have been discuss or not.

I think Cloyster is very broken, I don't see him lower than OU in the metagame.

Skill Link + Shell Break + Icicle Spear is very devastating even for pokemon that resist water.

I don't know if we can post videos link, it been a long time since I post in smogon, but you guys should check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaqKaDK5WwY

We should take the new, buffed-up cloyster...

...and push him into OU!

Seriously, he's got all the tools he needs now.

stay out of ubers cloyster!!!

I rofl'd @ Patrick meme.
Anyways: All I have to say is pack your priorities, because we're going to need them. Scarf yo Jolteons, Hide yo Dragons, and bring your priority cuz dey raping errbody in OU.
Although I cant say where our little Oyster is going to end up tier-wise, wherever she goes, there'll be a trail of rubble behind her.

how does the damage for multi-hit moves work? does it add up to the eqivalent of a 170 base power attack? Or is there something I'm missing?

Cloyster is going to be fucking awesome. I am so excited to use him in a competitive way beyond skill link/spikes/explode.

If I am doing it correctly, Skill Ink makes it hit 5 times, each hit @ 25BP w/o stab, so total is 125BP move without factoring in STAB, Ryanide.

*Skill Link, it may be a mollusk but ink is limited to Cephalopods ala Octillery/ Octazooka. :D

First of all, I'm not an expert, and I just read the first page so I don't know if this have been discuss or not.

I think Cloyster is very broken, I don't see him lower than OU in the metagame.

Skill Link + Shell Break + Icicle Spear is very devastating even for pokemon that resist water.

I don't know if we can post videos link, it been a long time since I post in smogon, but you guys should check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaqKaDK5WwY
Just for reference, this video shows Cloyster, after one Shell Break, OHKOing a Swampert with 252 HP and 252 Defence EVs by using Icicle Spear.

That's pretty amazing, and worrying for those hoping that bulky waters can counter Cloyster.

Just for reference, this video shows Cloyster, after one Shell Break, OHKOing a Swampert with 252 HP and 252 Defence EVs by using Icicle Spear.

That's pretty amazing, and worrying for those hoping that bulky waters can counter Cloyster.
iknow its scary to think a pokemon like cloyster is demolishing pokemon.

Well to be fair, Swampert takes neutral damage from Icicle Spear, but rather the Suicune after that who does resist it takes over half, so I don't think it's 252/252, but still... that's saying something!

Strong, yes. Broken, no.

A +1 Outrage from any of the top dragons decimates anything that's not steel, but that's not broken. I don't really see what the youtube video posted proves aside from Shell Break Cloyster being as dangerous as a Dragon Dancer.

There are far more checks to Cloyster being that its main attacking type is ice - you have fire, water, ice and steel that resist it, and any combination of the two means that Icicle Spear will barely dent them. Hell, a Lapras is a perfect counter to it - bulky, resists ice, has water absorb and can retaliate with Thunderbolt.

Strong, yes. Broken, no.

A +1 Outrage from any of the top dragons decimates anything that's not steel, but that's not broken. I don't really see what the youtube video posted proves aside from Shell Break Cloyster being as dangerous as a Dragon Dancer.

There are far more checks to Cloyster being that its main attacking type is ice - you have fire, water, ice and steel that resist it, and any combination of the two means that Icicle Spear will barely dent them. Hell, a Lapras is a perfect counter to it - bulky, resists ice, has water absorb and can retaliate with Thunderbolt.
Rock Blast does the same thing without STAB, though, and only Steel types resist both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)