Club Nintendo... (of America) Sucks?

None of the Rewards thus far have changed, nor offered anything worth spending points on. Not to mention, they haven't even offered anything for the DSi, which is a major reason I have not spent any points yet, as I don't have a Wii or a Lite. Nintendo of Japan doesn't include anything for the DSi either, but, at least from what I can tell, they have Point Values that allow people to get more things, by spending less, as most of the Rewards are worth half as much as they are worth in America. Also, the inclusion of Soundtracks and 3 DS games in the Japanese catalog make it an overall more formidable and satisfying option. Does Nintendo overlook the wants of its American followers? What do you think about Club Nintendo?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You get 160 or 190 points or something like that for registering a DSi which puts you pretty close to Gold and can give you a huge boost to reaching Platinum status. I hit Platinum status (600 points) and stopped registering. Gonna use my points towards the 2009/2010 status. I'm withholding judgement until I find out what the Gold / Platinum gifts are. Once Nintendo reveals that or maybe once t hey send it out, the rewards should rollover to the 2009/2010 stuff.

Every other Club Nintendo program is much superior to ours also if you look; both Japan and Europe's versions (which both incidentally have been around longer despite America's much bigger presence) offer much superior rewards, compared to our very lame offerings.

Every other Club Nintendo program is much superior to ours also if you look; both Japan and Europe's versions (which both incidentally have been around longer despite America's much bigger presence) offer much superior rewards, compared to our very lame offerings.
Yes, and it's ridiculous how Nintendo not only overlooks America when it comes to its loyalty (many of us have been a part of the 'Nintendo Community' for almost 20 years), but even to avid followers of their games, such as the Pokemon franchise, they put them behind Japanese followers. When have Pokemon players gotten the same promotions that they have in Japan? And to argue that the market isn't as popular would be total ignorance, because the strong numbers of people that show up to the Pokemon Video Game Championships, the TCG Competitions, that write on Pokemon-related forums, and that buy their games are the ones that have made Nintendo its millions and billions.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeesh. Some of you should try living outside the US sometime. You get pampered as it is. Especially Pokemon. There's a tournament almost every friggin' year in the US.

Oh, and the people on this forum aren't the ones making them millions and billions. It's the Wii Sports crowd who don't visit these forums that are making them millions and billions. There's a reason the Wii and DS are such massive successes while the GCN and N64 were relative failures.

Last time I checked, Australia has NEVER had a Pokemon tournament. TCG, yes, but no actual game tournament.

Also, no event Pokemon since, like, Red and Blue came out, excluding Wi-fi and Pokemon Colosseum / XD.

Last time I checked, Australia has NEVER had a Pokemon tournament. TCG, yes, but no actual game tournament.

Also, no event Pokemon since, like, Red and Blue came out, excluding Wi-fi and Pokemon Colosseum / XD.
Actually, there was an Australian Darkrai event last year and there has been a non-Wifi Special Key event recently.

I wish we even had a Club Nintendo in Mexico, seriously, when I see the awards they give to European buyers, Im like "WTF?! I want that!" for some reason, nintendo always forgets about Latin-Americans

Actually, there was an Australian Darkrai event last year and there has been a non-Wifi Special Key event recently.
Sure, there has been a Darkrai event, but appart from that, there hasn't been any rememberal events since Crystal. Also, there have been no proper tornaments in my memory.

It pretty stupid how Nintendo call it a 'World Championship', yet it only includes Japan and America. If they want a proper World Championship it should be spread to Europe, Australia and New Zealand, the rest of Oriental Asia and the rest of North America.

Yeesh. Some of you should try living outside the US sometime. You get pampered as it is. Especially Pokemon. There's a tournament almost every friggin' year in the US.

Oh, and the people on this forum aren't the ones making them millions and billions. It's the Wii Sports crowd who don't visit these forums that are making them millions and billions. There's a reason the Wii and DS are such massive successes while the GCN and N64 were relative failures.
Funny enough, I have lived outside the U.S. And this thread ain't about Pokemon mind you, it's Club Nintendo. At any rate you are incorrect, there has not been a Pokemon (video game) tournament every year; the ones that come to mind are 1999 and 2000 (mall tours), 2004 and 2005 (PRA), JAA in 2006, and then starting basically at 2008 onwards, the VGC. Of those, you really can't say the mall tours and PRA are even that "big" of a tournament, since they're local events meant to hype Pokemon, not support a big nation/world-wide tourney like JAA and VGC are. So no, it's not every year we're getting a tournament, unlike say Japan. Finally, no duh it's the casual market making them all that money...

I wish we even had a Club Nintendo in Mexico, seriously, when I see the awards they give to European buyers, Im like "WTF?! I want that!" for some reason, nintendo always forgets about Latin-Americans
And I agree, Nintendo really does need to expand its program. Though if Mexico gets once, I hope it's better than what meager offerings they give us...

Sure, there has been a Darkrai event, but appart from that, there hasn't been any rememberal events since Crystal. Also, there have been no proper tornaments in my memory.

It pretty stupid how Nintendo call it a 'World Championship', yet it only includes Japan and America. If they want a proper World Championship it should be spread to Europe, Australia and New Zealand, the rest of Oriental Asia and the rest of North America.
As the VGC is new, I'd give it a bit more time; if they're serious about like they have been with the TCG, it should eventually expand into those areas (except China, that's the oddball that gets nothing). And sorry to disapoint, they already have VGC regionals over in Europe also, lol.

Firestorm

I was responding to danoziami about Pokemon. That sounds like much more than we have in Canada. No events for Pokemon in malls. No tournaments. And we get disqualified if we enter an American tournament and win.

As for Club Nintendo, this is needless bitching from the US and Canada as the program hasn't even finished its first year yet. The shop gets different stock every year. As soon as we get our free gift, there will be new items from what I understand.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
And we get disqualified if we enter an American tournament and win.
Not anymore. If my memory is correct, non-US citizens weren't barred from competing this year.

I was responding to danoziami about Pokemon. That sounds like much more than we have in Canada. No events for Pokemon in malls. No tournaments. And we get disqualified if we enter an American tournament and win.

As for Club Nintendo, this is needless bitching from the US and Canada as the program hasn't even finished its first year yet. The shop gets different stock every year. As soon as we get our free gift, there will be new items from what I understand.

I do understand what you are saying, but looking at how long it took for the U.S. to receive a Club Nintendo program, as well, seeing as it probably generates the greater part of Nintendo's revenue in America as a whole, Club Nintendo sucks and is a sad beginning to the program at this stage in the game, when Japan, which is probably the only other country that generates X amount of profit for Nintendo, received the marked preferential treatment. Just think about what Nintendo may today be without its American customers.

Firestorm

Nintendo has always concentrated more on the Japanese market and I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon. I don't see how Club Nintendo "sucks" any more than Japan's Club Nintendo. What part of Japan's Club Nintendo is so much better than ours? The points need to get something is lower there, but so are the amount of points you get per game (30 max instead of 30 minimum). We haven't even seen our free gift yet, so it's very early to tell.

Oh, and I think it's a little self-centred to say that the US and Japan are the only countries that give them a good amount of profit. Especially when some of their games have sold the best in Europe by a huge amount (Nintendogs for example)

As of the end of April 2009:
NDS: 70.60m
North America: 22.39m
Japan: 22.38m
Other: 25.82m

Wii: 24.45m
North America: 10.61m
Japan: 5.90m
Other: 7.94m

"Other" is largely Europe and Australia.

Nintendo has always concentrated more on the Japanese market and I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon. I don't see how Club Nintendo "sucks" any more than Japan's Club Nintendo. What part of Japan's Club Nintendo is so much better than ours? The points need to get something is lower there, but so are the amount of points you get per game (30 max instead of 30 minimum). We haven't even seen our free gift yet, so it's very early to tell.

Oh, and I think it's a little self-centred to say that the US and Japan are the only countries that give them a good amount of profit. Especially when some of their games have sold the best in Europe by a huge amount (Nintendogs for example)

As of the end of April 2009:
NDS: 70.60m
North America: 22.39m
Japan: 22.38m
Other: 25.82m

Wii: 24.45m
North America: 10.61m
Japan: 5.90m
Other: 7.94m

"Other" is largely Europe and Australia.
And which region is at the top of the list? And which country do you think contributed primarily to those numbers (let's assume we are familiar with the way American consumerism works)?

What part of Japan's Club Nintendo is so much better than ours?
The rewards. Nintendo could have very easily offered the same rewards to American Club Members as they do to Japanese, right from the beginning.

And if anything, a much more intelligent move on Nintendo's part would be to include those rewards to increase product sales, seeing as the superior rewards that are offered to Japanese Nintendo Club Members would be incentive enough for many American, and, I am sure, other non-Japanese customers, to "buy Nintendo."

127,433,494 people estimated to live in japan. 22,380,000 nds sold in japan. that is one nds for every 5.69 people.

306,829,000 people estimated to live in the united states. 22,390,000 nds sold in the united states. that is one nds for every 13.7 people.

factor in shipping costs, and i think we can see why they would be more likely to give better benefits to those in japan.

Firestorm

danoziami, you're overstating the effect people who actually care enough to get Club Nintendo points have on Nintendo. The vast majority of people who buy Nintendo products don't even visit the website to register. Putting out better prizes would have a negligible effect on sales.

Anyway, which rewards from the Japanese store did you want anyway? I don't remember there being much to go nuts over in the regular store. Their Platinum gifts have always been pretty nice, but we haven't even got the announcement for that yet.

danoziami, you're overstating the effect people who actually care enough to get Club Nintendo points have on Nintendo. The vast majority of people who buy Nintendo products don't even visit the website to register. Putting out better prizes would have a negligible effect on sales.

Anyway, which rewards from the Japanese store did you want anyway? I don't remember there being much to go nuts over in the regular store. Their Platinum gifts have always been pretty nice, but we haven't even got the announcement for that yet.
I admit, I am overstating, yet it functions in the context I am trying to use the overstatement in. It provides support for a valid point about the United States being a huge source of revenue for Nintendo (which is in turn supported by sales figures). Like I said, many of us have been a part of the Nintendo Community for a VERY long time, and I find (this is 100% opinion, based on tastes) the rewards such as an alternate-colored Wii controller, game soundtracks, and personalized Mii cards (apparently they are out-of-stock) to be more worthwhile than a game-card carrying case that I could go out and buy for $5.00 at a Target or something. The fact of the matter is, the products that are offered in Club Nintendo of Japan are very unique, and worth collecting points for.

Alright... Platinum Member Prizes:

Mario Hat (which I can get at Spencer's during Halloween)

Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! (WTF!)

Gold Member Prize:

Club Nintendo freakin' Original Calendar! Woohoo! -_-

So, in conclusion, for those of you that wanted to wait for the prizes to be announced to issue judgment: hope you're happy.

I, however, stand by my first statement: Club Nintendo of America SUCKS!

Alright... Platinum Member Prizes:

Mario Hat (which I can get at Spencer's during Halloween)

Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! (WTF!)

Gold Member Prize:

Club Nintendo 2009 Original Calendar! The prizes are going to arrive by November 1st, 2009!! That's almost the end of the year!!! Completely useless!

So, in conclusion, for those of you that wanted to wait for the prizes to be announced to issue judgment: hope you're happy.

I, however, stand by my first statement: Club Nintendo of America SUCKS!
It's a 2010 calendar. It clearly says that in the e-mail.

That being said, these prizes still suck.

Firestorm

I guess I'll have to take what I said back. These prizes are abysmal. A demo as a reward? A hat? A calendar? That's as bad as last year's Japanese and European prizes =/ I guess Nintendo just stopped giving a shit about Club Nintendo. I hope the 2010 store isn't a joke at the very least.

Checked out with the Punch Out demo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)