Comfey Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Comfey
Fairy
Abilities: Flower Veil / Triage / Natural Cure
HP: 51
Atk: 52
Def: 90
SpAtk: 82
SpDef: 110
Spe:100

Level Up

L1 - Helping Hand
L1 - Vine Whip
L1 - Flower Shield
L4 - Leech Seed
L7 - Draining Kiss
L10 - Magical Leaf
L13 - Growth
L16 - Wrap
L19 - Sweet Kiss
L22 - Natural Gift
L25 - Petal Blizzard
L28 - Synthesis
L31 - Sweet Scent
L34 - Grass Knot
L37 - Floral Healing
L40 - Petal Dance
L43 - Aromatherapy
L46 - Grassy Terrain
L49 - Play Rough

TMs

TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Round
TM49 - Echoed Voice
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM56 - Fling
TM62 - Acrobatics
TM77 - Psych Up
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM89 - U-turn
TM90 - Substitute
TM92 - Trick Room
TM96 - Nature Power
TM99 - Dazzling Gleam
TM100 - Confide
Egg moves

Egg - Endure
Egg - Amnesia
Egg - After You
Egg - Lucky Chant

New Ability

Triage: Gives priority to a healing move.
New Move

Floral Healing: The user restores the target's HP by up to half of its Max HP. It restores more HP when the terrain is grass.

Last edited:
Basically a poor man's Florges with less bulk and Sp. Attack but higher Speed, no Wish and a pseudo Prankster only for recovery moves. Whatever tier Florges ends up in, Comfey will probably end up in the tier below that. The lower tiers don't have many defensive Fairy types and while Comfey can probably strike a niche, I suspect its below average HP and lack of offensive presence (outside of Calm Mind boosting) will hold it back. Not bad, but ultimately uninspired.

It'll actually be pretty good in VGC17 as support though since it has synergy with Tapu Bulu through its signature move and ability.

It has better stats than I was expecting, to be honest. But I don't think it really has enough to separate it from Florges, unfortunately.

In doubles this thing will be a monster if its compared to bulky pokemon. Its pretty fast so it will apart from fakeout users be the first one to move, so it will heal its companion and in grassy terrain which it can setup himself or wit the help of bulu it will priority restore a pokemons full hp if its still above 25%. This means life orb users get their damage back, bellydrum users have another chance of belly drumming, recoilusers can spam their powerful moves more and chances are higher that when it is a slow pokemon that it can attack because it survives longer.

Do we know yet whether the priority of Triage is +1 or possibly higher? I think the Sun Moon website said something like "highest priority". That could either be hyperbole like Vikavolt´s speed or it could possibly mean that healing moves have a higher priority than even Fake Out.

A potential use foe this pokemon is a trapping set with wrap/leech seed/toxic/protect or substitute. It is also quite fast among fairy types. Other than that it is outclassed in most roles.

Do we know yet whether the priority of Triage is +1 or possibly higher? I think the Sun Moon website said something like "highest priority". That could either be hyperbole like Vikavolt´s speed or it could possibly mean that healing moves have a higher priority than even Fake Out.
I believe it was datamined that it gives +3 priority to healing moves.

Really curious if triage extends to moves like draining kiss or leech seed. They do heal, after all
Does Triage give priority to things like Draining Kiss too, or just status healing moves? Does Floral Healing work on itself?
My guess is yes, it will likely grant priority to Draining Kiss, but probably not Leech Seed. And Floral Healing needs a target, so Comfey sadly cannot use it on itself.

As awful as it sounds, I am okay with this Pokemon not having much use ingame or competitively because it is clearly the means by which Bounsweet will be able to receive its egg moves of Synthesis and Play Rough.

Comfey unfortunately can't even Toxic Stall for long because of Synthesis' measly 8 power points. Triage BETTER work on attacking moves, too--otherwise it is completely eclipsed in usefulness by Prankster.

Priority Draining Kiss could be interesting if it works for that. I really want to try Specs Draining Kiss for a 50 BP STAB Priority Special move that heals the user by 75% of damage done. Sounds epic on paper although it's quite likely not going to be all that effective. It's really gimmicky and has absolutely horrible coverage but here it is:

Comfey @ Choice Specs
Ability: Triage
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball
- Draining Kiss
- U-Turn

These are some damage outputs for super effective hits:
252 SpA Choice Specs Comfey Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 168-198 (56.1 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Comfey Draining Kiss vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 206-246 (49.4 - 58.9%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Comfey Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lopunny: 93-111 (34.3 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Comfey Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 198-234 (61.3 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Comfey Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 204-242 (67.3 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Comfey Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 246-290 (58.5 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And yeah, that's it...

EDIT: Turns out Life Orb is 10x better in every way. Just look further down page for better sets.

Last edited:
Shame it lacks Speed Swap.Resists Wishiwashi's Surf and Earthquake somewhat,could patch it's Speed up,and could overcome that Speed drop with the healing priority.

At least it has Trick Room I guess?

I dont really see the point of using specs Comfey when LO works so perfectly with Draining Kiss. Lets you switch moves and set up, removes LO recoil with the healing aspect and still hits really hard. Comfey's Modest LO Draining Kiss hits about 10% harder than Sitrus Berry Azu's Aqua Jet. You can then boost with CM to have a good shot at ohko keldeo or latios after rocks.

It has the same physical bulk as florges and can be a decent wincon with a similar moveset: synthesis, calm mind, draining kiss, aromatherapy. Its key strengths are the aforementioned most powerful special priority available, good typing and ability to invest in hp over speed, being a wincon and cleric, and ability to avoid getting 2hkod on the switch after some chip damage (a priority synthesis will really help with that, and also works really well with a defense boosting move like cm).

This is all going off the assumption that Triage allows Draining Kiss to be priority though. If not, please go straight to RU/NU, do not pass go, do not collect $200

I dont really see the point of using specs Comfey when LO works so perfectly with Draining Kiss. Lets you switch moves and set up, removes LO recoil with the healing aspect and still hits really hard. Comfey's Modest LO Draining Kiss hits about 10% harder than Sitrus Berry Azu's Aqua Jet. You can then boost with CM to have a good shot at ohko keldeo or latios after rocks.

It has the same physical bulk as florges and can be a decent wincon with a similar moveset: synthesis, calm mind, draining kiss, aromatherapy. Its key strengths are the aforementioned most powerful special priority available, good typing and ability to invest in hp over speed, being a wincon and cleric, and ability to avoid getting 2hkod on the switch after some chip damage (a priority synthesis will really help with that, and also works really well with a defense boosting move like cm).

This is all going off the assumption that Triage allows Draining Kiss to be priority though. If not, please go straight to RU/NU, do not pass go, do not collect $200
Man, brilliant! Totally better than my idea! I like that instead of trying dismally to pretend it has coverage, you've kept it at what it's good at, and that's being clerical. And then Life Orb Draining Kiss is perfect now I actually think about it :P So, something more like this?

Comfey @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind
- Synthesis

Loving it! Also, I had a small thought maybe this would be a cool ability to skill swap with another Pokemon with more powerful healing attacks. Such as Gallade with Drain Punch? Not sure but just a thought. Probs too much effort for little reward. I really want to use this Comfey set :D Man, I am going to get fairly down if this Draining Kiss doesn't get priority haha :P

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So why wouldn't you want Triage on it?

Benchmark Speed, decent Special Attack, low HP but decent bulk, Ability that gives priority to healing, and Signature Heal Pulse which works even better in Grassy Terrain (which it learns). Not bad.

Utility first, in addition to Floral Healing and Grassy Terrain it gets Leech Seed, Synthesis, Aromatherapy, Light Screen, U-turn, Substitute, and maybe Trick Room for slow partners that only needs a healer. If it ever finds itself in a position to attack it does get Dazzling Gleam but I think Draining Kiss is the intended STAB. Only other notable special move would be Energy Ball. Doesn't get anything notable from Egg Moves but it can do its job just fine already.

I wonder if in the anime they'll have Nurse Joys partnered with Comfeys.

I believe it was datamined that it gives +3 priority to healing moves.
Being able to use Heal Pulse or Synthesis without getting stopped by Fake Out sounds really amazing. Good supporter for doubles, but doesn´t do it for me since I prefer single battles. It doesn´t even get Wish...

Still, I am going to catch one ingame and name it Shorts, because they´re Comfey and easy to wear.

This thing is just gonna Leech Seed/Draining Kiss/Synthesis to slowly kill everything while staying healthy itself. I think that one item that powers up offensive healing moves might be viable here.

Being able to use Heal Pulse or Synthesis without getting stopped by Fake Out sounds really amazing. Good supporter for doubles, but doesn´t do it for me since I prefer single battles. It doesn´t even get Wish...

Still, I am going to catch one ingame and name it Shorts, because they´re Comfey and easy to wear.
Well now I gotta do this too. That is a good name, I like Shorts. It does look like a pretty nice Support 'mon too, and I had been wondering if something like this would be used in VGC or not. Now i'll get to find out :3

Triage was confirmed to give Draining Kiss priority in the mechanics research thread.

Knowing this, I think this thing will actually be really solid and have niches in the higher tiers. I don't want to speak too soon but it's definitely OU viable with that niche. Calm Mind + Draining Kiss + Synthesis + Hidden Power seems like a really solid set that distinguishes itself from Clefable by being able to remove faster Pokemon before they can even move. Offensive sets seem somewhat promising too, despite the bad coverage. I expect them to almost always have Calm Mind though.

I know for a fact I'm going to be using this early on, mainly because it's a good offensive check to Pheromosa, which will be everywhere in early S/M. Now that Talonflame is kill, Comfey seems fit to replace it as a priority attacker that removes Fighting types.

A minor gripe: Why doesn't it get Giga Drain? It makes sense and would be a great move for it to have.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)