[COMPLETED]Hydreigon

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Is an extremely powerful special attacker. </li>
<li>Acts as a great wallbreaker, and due to wide coverage it can be hard to play around.</li>
<li>It has a very solid movepool.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>With the introduction of Fairy-types it no longer can spam Draco Meteors, loses almost perfect coverage, and has to rely on gimmicky moves to get past some of them.</li>
<li>Is a bit slow for a sweeper, and it has a decent amount of weaknesses which can make it less effective.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Hydreigon @ Life Orb<br />
Ability: Levitate<br />
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd <br />
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)<br />
- Dark Pulse<br />
- Draco Meteor<br />
- Flash Cannon<br />
- Roost / Focus Blast / Fire Blast</p>

<p>Although the introduction of Fairy-types may seem like a extermination of Dragon-types like Hydreigon, it still poses a very large threat due to its powerful Special Attack and great coverage. Dark-type attacks received a huge buff this generation, gaining a neutral hit on Steel-types. This makes Hydreigon much more able to spam one of its most solid STAB special attacks, Dark Pulse. Paired with Draco Meteor, these two attacks get very solid coverage, and both compliment each other very well. Sadly, Fairy-types resists both of these STABs and put Hydreigon into a corner, limiting its ability to use these attacks as freely as it wants. Luckily, Hydreigon has a way to make sure Fairy-types are limited to the amount they can switch in safely. Flash Cannon, although not very strong, can punish Fairy-types on the switch, and combined with Stealth Rock can lower how easily they can switch in. Thanks to Hydreigon's solid power, Flash Cannon is turned into a viable option. The last slot can be occupied by a majority of moves. Roost heals Hydreigon, and with the amount of switches it causes, it shouldn't be too hard to find an opportunity. Focus Blast is useful to hit Assault Vest Tyranitar, which otherwise puts a full stop to this set. Focus Blast has shaky accuracy, however, and cannot OHKO said Tyranitar, putting Hydreigon in danger of taking severe damage from Stone Edge. Fire Blast can be placed in the final slot for coverage against Ferrothorn, Mawile, and a stronger way to make sure Steel-types die quicker. </p>

<p>Hydreigon causes many switches, and thus should be used with Stealth Rock or additional entry hazards. Stealth Rock itself is very important to ensure 2HKOs on Fairy-types with Flash Cannon and bulkier Steel-types with Dark Pulse. Hydreigon gives incredible offensive momentum to any team it is on by racking up damage and is thus is a very beneficial partner to late-game setup sweepers. Swords Dance Scizor and Aegislash are perfect examples, as they both can handle Fairy-Types and have great synergy with Hydreigon offensively and defensively.

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Specially based bulky Fairy-types like Florges, Togekiss, and Sylveon can tank anything Hydreigon throws at it aside from a Flash Cannon, which does not 2HKO unless Stealth Rock is present, which can be negated by a Protect or Rapid Spinner. Dedicated special walls like Chansey have a field day with Hydreigon and can come in without any worry of being taken out unless they are at very low HP. The same can be said about Assault Vest Tyranitar, but it must be careful of Focus Blast. Due to Hydreigon's so-so defensive typing, faster Dragon-, Fighting-, and Ice-types can all check it very well. Hydreigon is also weak to common priority moves bar Aqua Jet, and can be taken out handily by a Mach Punch of Ice Shard and takes a good chunk from a Bullet Punch.</p>

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dark Pulse needs to be on the set somewhere imo. It is resisted by a lot fewer things now, with Steel being less good. Obviously Draco Meteor has that raw power, but the other STAB has incredibly neutral coverage now in the pre-Pokebank meta. It seems a shame to leave it out.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
hm, i do agree that dark pulse is a very spammable move due to its buff against steels. it could go over fire blast, as it would still hit aegislash super effective, scizor neutral, and exca neutral. i'll add that in.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I also have to agree with srk1214, Dark moves are pretty hard to switch in now due to the Steel nerf. Also maybe it's just me but there's plenty things now that can switch with little problem, mostly Fairy types that resist both its STABs. I know you have the Flash Cannon for coverage but from my little experience it doesn't seem like the best idea to be locked to a Steel move, also something like Azumarill has little fear switching to that set as a specs Flash Cannon does 47% max to 252 HP / 0 SDef. Also max/max Flores just counters it.

Sorry if 'm not allowed to do this, feel free to delete this post if I did something wrong.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dark Pulse should be a must on Hydreigon and the first slot. Here is how i would make it:

- Dark Pulse<br />
- Draco Meteor<br />
- Flash Cannon<br />
- Roost / Fire Blast</p>

Dark Pulse already 2HKOes most Steel-types so i don't think that Fire Blast is needed. Draco Meteor is still cool for its power but it should be used with caution, as Fairy-types are very good switch-ins to Hydreigon. Flash Cannon 2HKOes any Fairy-type (Sylveon and Florges have chances to be 2HKOed after SR, but avoid the 2HKO with Protect, which can easily be predicted and taken advantage of though), including Azumarill and Mega Mawile, after two Stealth Rock rounds, and also hits Tyranitar for decent damage. Roost because you don't really need anything else and Fire Blast in case you really hate Steel-types and want to OHKO them or if you have serious troubles against Mega Mawile.

Charge Beam could also get an AC mention, over either Flash Cannon or Roost. It steadily powers up Hydreigon meaning that playing around it is no longer an option. It also 2HKOes Azumarill and non-SpD Togekiss after SR, so it can be used over Flash Cannon if you don't have troubles against Sylveon and Florges.

PDC

street spirit fade out
added. although i believe that focus blast could be slashed somewhere, or put into ac just so it doesn't get completely walled to hell and back by bulky ttar.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PDC

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Is an extremely powerful special attacker. </li>
<li>Acts as a great wallbreaker, and due to wide coverage it can be hard to play around.</li>
<li>It has a very solid movepool.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>With the introduction of Fairy-types it no longer can spam Draco Meteors, loses almost perfect coverage, (AC) and has to rely on gimmicky moves to get past some of them.</li>
<li>Is a bit slow for a sweeper, and it has a decent amount of weaknesses which can make it less effective.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

- Dark Pulse<br />
- Draco Meteor<br />
- Flash Cannon<br />
- Roost / Focus Blast / Fire Blast</p>

<p>Although the introduction of Fairy-types may seem like a extermination of Dragon-types like Hydreigon, it still poses a very large threat due to its powerful Special Attacking stat and great coverage. Dark-type attacks received a huge buff this generation, gaining a neutrality to hit on Steel-types moves. This makes Hydreigon much more able to spam one of its most solid STAB special attacks, Dark Pulse. Paired with Draco Meteor, these two attacks get very solid coverage, and both compliment each other very well. Sadly, Fairy-types resists both of these STABs, (RC) and puts Hydreigon into a corner, limiting its ability to use these attacks as freely as it wants. Luckily, Hydreigon has a way to make sure Fairy-types are limited to the amount they can switch in safely. Flash Cannon, although not very strong, can punish Fairy-types on the switch, and combined with Stealth Rock can limit lower how easily they can switch in. Thanks to Hydreigon's solid power, it turns Flash Cannon is turned into a viable option able to hit hard enough to be viable. The last slot can be occupied by a majority of moves. Roost heals Hydreigon, and with the amount of switches it causes, it shouldn't be too hard to find an opportunity. Focus Blast is useful to hit bulky Assault Vest Tyranitar, who which otherwise would put puts a full stop to this set. Focus Blast however has shaky accuracy, however, (AC) and cannot OHKO said Tyranitar, putting it Hydreigon in danger of taking severe damage from Stone Edge. Fire Blast can be placed in the final slot for coverage against Ferrothorn, Mawile, and a stronger way to make sure Steel-types die quicker. </p>

<p>Hydreigon causes many switches, and thus should be used with Stealth Rock or additional entry hazards. Stealth Rock itself is very important to ensure 2HKOs on Fairy-types with Flash Cannon and bulkier Steel-types with Dark Pulse. Hydreigon gives incredible offensive momentum to any team it is on by racking up damage and is thus is a very beneficial partner to late-game setup sweepers. Swords Dance Scizor and Aegislash are perfect examples, as they both can handle Fairy-types and have great synergy with Hydreigon offensively, (RC) and defensively.

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Specially based bulky Fairy-types like Florges, Togekiss, and Sylveon can tank anything Hydreigon throws at it aside from a Flash Cannon, which does not 2HKO unless Stealth Rock is present, which can be negated by a Protect or Rapid Spinner. Dedicated special walls like Chansey have a field day with Hydreigon and can come in without any worry of being taken out unless it is they are at very low HP. The same can be said about Assault Vest Tyranitar, but it must be careful of Focus Blast. Due to Hydreigon's so-so defensive typing, faster Dragon-, Fighting-, and Ice-types can all check it very well. Hydreigon is also weak to common priority moves bar Aqua Jet, and can be taken out handily by a Mach Punch of Ice Shard, (RC) and takes a good chunk from a Bullet Punch.</p>

ensure you read these for next time!
1/1

Last edited:

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 164 Spd / 252 SAtk / 92 HP
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn / Flash Cannon / Focus Blast

EV'd to outpace +1 Neutral base 100 with some handy bulk (we always survive Gengar's Focus Blast and Garchomp's Dragon Claw). Flamethrower is an option with a Modest nature, but Timid needs Fire Blast for key OHKOs on Mega Lucario, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor. Hydreigon often has late game clean up opportunities with Dark Pulse (while sporting useful resistances to Aqua Jet, Sucker Punch, and Shadow Sneak, and only a 2x Ice Shard weakness). Modest should use 224 Spd / 252 SAtk / 32 HP to beat +1 Jolly Gyarados and Dragonite.

Hydreigon is underrated. With resistances to Dark, Ghost, and a relative indifference to anything that Rotom wants to do, its usage should really be higher than:

| 57 | Hydreigon | 2.88538% | 9430 | 3.031% | 7419 | 3.034% |

Last edited:
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP or SpAtt
Adamant / Naughty Nature
-Crunch
-Dragon Rush / Earthquake / Thunder Fang / Fire Blast
-Iron Tail
-Roost / Earthquake / Thunder Fang / Fire Blast

This is actually supposed to be designed as a fairy stopper set. Iron Tail is a OHKO on Sylveon and Florges, and Thunder Fang is a 2HKO on Azumarrill (if it switches in on another non-dragon attack it should be enough to OHKO after the incurred damage, especially with SR.) Earthquake and Fire Blast are for Mawile if you don't already have coverage for it. It is risky because of the accuracy of Iron Tail, but this set worked really well for me. However, do not try to counter dragons with this set.

What about Steel Wing? Is that at least close to an OHKO? (Perhaps w/ entry hazards on the field). I'd rather not rely on Iron Fail.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Um, yeah, I'm gonna say no to the last couple of posts since

1) Hydreigon doesn't learn Steel Wing.

2) It doesn't learn Iron Tail in Kalos either, and it generally has better things to do.

Can't pass judgement on that Choice Scarf set since I haven't had prior experience to speak of with it; however, as far as theorymon is concerned, I'm not quite convinced yet.

Last edited:
Assault Vest Hydreigon has worked really well for me, as Hydreigon has pretty good bulk in 92/90/90 and it enables 0/0 Hydreigon to survive a Focus Blast from Mega Gengar
252 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 234-276 (72 - 84.92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 256-302 (78.76 - 92.92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

While hydreigon can't switch in but it can revenge kill Mega Gengar if it hasn't taken previous damage. It enables to use Hydreigon as a special tank with little different EV spread, but I haven't tested any yet, so I can't speak about that.

Hydreigon @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn / Flash Cannon / Focus Blast

Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse are both Good STAB moves and you can choose do you want more power or more reliable attack whenever you need it, Fire Blast is for Coverage and a likes of Ferrothorn and Scizor. Last slot depends on what you want or need in the team. I personally prefer U-turn so I can maintain some momentum even if a Fairy type would switch in.

Edit: I use Timid as I don't want to hurt Hydreigon's bulk but you can use Hasty instead.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Can't pass judgement on that Choice Scarf set since I haven't had prior experience to speak of with it; however, as far as theorymon is concerned, I'm not quite convinced yet.
I've been using the Timid version for a couple of days, and it's been solid if not spectacular (it replaced Garchomp and my rating has steadily crept up to 2066 (prebank OU), after previously being unable to break through 2040). I actually run Sleep Talk in the filler slot, but that's kind of my thing for Choice items (it trolls Smeargle hard, especially with Dark Pulse's flinch rate). I may change to Modest because the damage output isn't anything to write home about (though Draco Meteor tends to land on Tyranitar switch ins, and resisting Pursuit after the SpAtt drop is neato). Either way, it's a solid Mega Gengar/Dragon/other stuff check, and people don't suspect Choice Scarf yet. Stealth Rock support is super beneficial.

Edit: a big reason why Hydreigon isn't more commonly used is its unfortunate speed. Choice Scarf corrects for this deficiency, so it's really a very logical option.

Last edited:
About the checks and counters: doesn't Azumarill basically hard-stop this thing? Outside of Charge Beam, there's nothing that 2HKO's it at full health even with rocks up. Not even Flash Cannon:

- 252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 147-173 (36.38 - 42.82%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
- 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 133-157 (32.92 - 38.86%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

I did notice the point, that it's a possible 2HKO after two Stealth Rock switch-ins, but since Togekiss is named here I think Azumarill deserves a mention too.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I can vouch for the Scarf set. I've been using it for a while now, and it's extremely good. I run Modest Dark Pulse/DM/Flamethrower/U-turn.

Dark Pulse is the new Draco Meteor, IMO. It's almost stupid how spammable this move is. The flinch rate can help score some lucky 2HKOes as well, which is always nice. Scarf fixes Hydreigon's Speed problem, and with its bulk plus good set of resistances, it's surprisingly easy to switch in. It's really good in offensive cores, as it can spam U-turn early on to scout, and clean up lategame with Dark Pulse.

TBH I think this should be the main set. Hydreigon faces a lot of competition as a wallbreaker, especially with all of the new Megas running around, but the Scarf set is hard to top.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No Substitute set?

I haven't tested it but I saw some people use it. Substitute / Dark Pulse / Focus Blast / Flamethrower seems pretty solid. You could also use Dragon Pulse over Dark Pulse.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
No Substitute set?

I haven't tested it but I saw some people use it. Substitute / Dark Pulse / Focus Blast / Flamethrower seems pretty solid. You could also use Dragon Pulse over Dark Pulse.
This looks like a bulkier, but slower Gengar. What item would you use? Life Orb seems self defeating (with Substitute), but without Life Orb, you're combining Choice Scarf power with Choice Specs speed...

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This looks like a bulkier, but slower Gengar. What item would you use? Life Orb seems self defeating (with Substitute), but without Life Orb, you're combining Choice Scarf power with Choice Specs speed...
Life Orb or Leftovers.

It was a popular set in Generation 5, actually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)