Counter That Pokemon! Won By FlareBlitz (Team 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright no point in wasting everyone's time in such an obvious blowout. Congrats kd24 on coming up with such a great Roserade counter with absolutely no outside assistance.

Crobat @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
216 HP / 116 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Roost
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn

is the first mon on team 2.

Now your job is to submit a Pokemon that serves as a great partner for Crobat on Team 2. Have at it!

kd24

edit: lol, this is what happens if u don't look at the last post ;)

anyways, since I already posted, i might want to mention this:

Donphan @ Leftovers
Sturdy
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant
-Earthquake
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Shard

Gets rid of those electrics, rocks and steels which Crobat struggles with, plus it spins away rocks that Crobat hates. Finally, they cover each other's weaknesses pretty well, with the exception of ice, making them a great defensive core. We just need an ice resist then.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Snow Cloak
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Stone Edge

Crobat's biggest weakness is how freely electric and some steel types switch in and just dgaf about what Crobat does. I forsee team 2 using a Zapdos or a Raikou to counter Crobat. Mamoswine provides an electric immunity while also checking Roserade, a role only shared by Flygon (and it is much too early in the team building process to be considering a scarfed revenge killer).

Rotom-C might be a good idea... if we want to add two mons that are countered by Zapdos

Registeel @ Leftovers
Careful
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Special Defense
-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave
-Sceismic Toss
-Iron Head

I was considering Donphan (who can both setup rocks and spin) but it would make the team very weak to hail teams. Registeel is also a good counter to Abamosnow. It also has very good synergy with Crobat. Oh and paraflinching is always cool.

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
SOLID FUCKING ROCK OK
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn
- Rock Blast

The Electric/Steel/Rock/etc types that come in and try to deal with Crobat get absolutely crushed by Rhyperior. Of course after it kills something, Roserade will come in, but that's what we have Crobat for. Rhyperior also destroys Stoutland and Darmanitan.

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Snow Cloak
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn
- Rock Blast / Avalanche

The Electric/Steel/Rock/etc types that come in and try to deal with Crobat get absolutely crushed by Rhyperior. Of course after it kills something, Roserade will come in, but that's what we have Crobat for. Rhyperior also destroys Stoutland and Darmanitan.
lol snow cloak? you must have just copied and pasted from snunch's mamoswine or had frosslass in the cabeza amigo, but we all know what you mean though

My choice will be Flygon

Flygon@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP 252 Atk 252 Spe
Nature:Adamant
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-U-turn

Typical revenge killing, momentum shifting,annoying flygon..It's one those pokes that people dont take into account when its the top 10 in UU.. Flygon pairs great with Crobat for all the steels,electric, and rock type that will be switching into Crobat..and flygon is fast enough to outspeed all of them with a KO, unless your looking at a faster choice scarf, like raikou..Also it pairs great with crobat's U-turning for even greater momentum on your side with well prediction...ice is the only problem but those are seen a mile away and easy to pair with a bulky water for resist Another nice note is that it is able to outspeed and KO roserade and be damn on the opponent if it decides to rest or use sludgebomb the turn that flygon decides to come in

CB Rhyperior is a beast in this meta, but Flygon also pairs up well with Crobat. Why people think Flygon can only run scarf is an enigma to me. I suggest a life orb set :

Flygon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Hasty
- U-turn
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor

All of a sudden what would be dragon claw or something equally as worthless is a move that turns Flygon into a mixed attacker and makes him that much harder to switch in to. The ev's could be tweaked but draco is just there to hit pokes like Donphan and Slowbro that get hit HARD by draco. It is also a much more spam-able move that outrage.

mamoswine is a beast partner but...im going to go with this guy who is much better:

Rotom-C @ Leftovers
252 HP / 196 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Will-o-Wisp
- Hidden Power Fire

odd choice huh? well hear me out - we already have u-turn crobat as our starting mon of team 2.. why not keep up that offensive pressure with a volt switcher, especially one who gives yet another helpful ground-immune, as well as a roserade lure (btw, rose switch-ins are exactly what this guy wants, because hes usually volt switching back to crobat, just ranking in more damage on a non lefties rose)

rotom-c's leaf storm, hp fire, and will o wisp absolutely punish any counters to crobat that team 1 might come up with - rotom-c also has the natural bulk to abuse them well.

lets try and keep team 2 going strong vs snunch's shitty roserade and vote rotom-c, a pokemon who gives us another solid backbone of strong offense AND defense.

A good partner for Crobat covers Rock/Ice/Electric. Nothing covers all three types, but another idea is to have an all-purpose wall that can cover un-boosted threats while still having decent offense:

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
252 HP/80 SpDef/176 SpAtk
Modest / Download

Charge Beam
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Recover

This bulky setup attacker lures both fighting-types and Toxic, which Crobat can easily switch into. It can also sponge psychic-attacks fairly easily and begin setting up with Charge Beam. Most of this set's biggest counters are solidly dealt with by bulky crobat, and it has reliable coverage vs. most of UU. It can switch into non-boosted Stone Edges, Ice Beams, Thunderbolts, and the like, and set up while proceeding to recover when needed. Another related idea would be something like CroCune with Pressure to help stall out Stone Edge, but that leaves a nasty shared Electric weakness, so this is a fine defensive idea that can overwhelm the opponent with gradual setup.

The only physical offensive threat this doesn't outright beat is CB Rhyperior, but with SR, 1 layer of Spikes, and the +1 boost from Download you can 1hko the standard spread so long as you aren't critted on the switch (assuming 160 HP EVs and no spdef). Spikes and chip damage from Crobat's U-turn would probably be enough as well.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Okay let's try to shake things up a bit here.

Torterra @ Life Orb
Adamant
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
-Wood Hammer
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Rock Polish

What stops Crobat? Bulky waters, rocks, and steels. Torterra wrecks all of them, while covering all of Crobat's most significant weaknesses in Electric and Rock. Crobat is also very good at weakening generic physical walls like Mew and Deo-D, allowing Torterra to attempt a sweep with Rock Polish later on.

I really like that we chose a Pokemon with a unique niche like Crobat to counter Roserade instead of something generic like Chansey (no offense tof) so maybe we should continue with that trend and experiment with different, uncommon Pokemon.

Can we get the 1st post updated with the set of every pokemon? As we get further into the team creation process I think it will be helpful to have that a glance.

Here is something that resists all of Crobat's weaknesses:

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 48 HP/252 SpA/208 Spd
Nature: Timid
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Magneton can also switch into Snunch's Roserade as well as acting as a deterent for bulky waters, which are likely to be on an enemy team due to the amount of offensive Fire types in the tier (Or you could be cool and use Rhyperior). Although there are only five UU Steels, and Magneton won't be doing anything to Registeel, it can do significant damage to the other four (which helps Crobat) and with a scarf, it can outspeed Cobalion and allow you to switch in to an appropriate counter. Volt Switch allows you to keep up the momentum by switching out of your opponents switch-ins and bringing in something else to immediately threaten them. Magneton is also a Roserade lure itself, which helps to wear Roserade down further as it is forced out by Crobat. This set runs enough speed to outpace Dugtrio. If you can get up 2 layers of spikes, Dugtrio will be KOed 100% of the time with Flash Cannon.

why, MEW, of course!

mew@leftovers
calm/synchronize
252hp 80def 172sp.def 4speed
calm/careful
-will-o-wisp
-taunt
-roost
-psychic/u-turn

mew+crobat form a indestructable stall breaker combo that destroys stall. mew can also cripple physical attackers to ease crobat's ability to take hits. this also serves as a BACK UP ROSERADE COUNTER using synchronize, since if roserade uses sleep powder on a switch, you can go to mew to sleep roserade. mew can also form a u-turn combo with crobat to annoy the hell out of people and they both have super reliable recovery.

Man this is a tough one, but i'm think i'm going to have to go with Snunch once again.

As much as I love the idea of Rotom-C + Crobat, I'd hate to see us pick it or something like Torterra/Rhyperior, and team 1 just use a Defensive Zapdos (though to be fair, with the right prediction Rhyperior could take Zap down on the switch in).

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Taunt

Cobalion makes a perfect partner for Crobat, covering every weakness except Psychic. Taunt on both Crobat and Cobalion forces the other team in a tight spot and keeps the momentum on your side. With Taunt and Swords Dance, Cobalion won't have a problem setting up on Pokemon that Crobat U-Turns out of while completely shutting down Roserade. Team 1 will be forced into using stuff like Slowbro or Donphan, both of which can be easily taken advantage of.

Tough one. Going with kd24. We have four other pokemon to check Zapdos and I think keeping up offensive pressure will give the second team an edge.

I'm casting my vote for FlareBlitz and Torterra. I believe Torterra is very underrated and the Rock Polish set does work wonders with Crobat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)