1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Crawdaunt (Update) (QC: 4/4) (GP: 2/2)

Discussion in 'Uploaded Analyses' started by Rohail, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Rohail

Rohail Vaporeon <3
    is a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Skeleton from Vertex

Vertex's Skeleton
    [Overview]

<p>Back in the day, Crawdaunt was severely outclassed by numerous offensive Water-types such as Azumarill and Gyarados; however, it has returned to BW OU with a blessing from the Dream World: Adaptability. With this new ability boosting the power of Crawdaunt's STAB moves, it can now practically 2HKO the entire tier. Unfortunately, Crawdaunt has to deal with its atrocious defensive typing, which is compounded by its bad bulk and terrible Speed. While not completely outclassed, Crawdaunt still faces stiff competition from Feraligatr and the aforementioned Gyarados as an offensive Water-type, as they have much higher bulk, Speed, and reliability, despite Adaptability making Crawdaunt stronger than both of them. Although Crawdaunt is outclassed by sturdier and faster physical Water-types, the raw power of Adapatability-boosted Crabhammer in the rain is the main appeal of Crawdaunt in OU.</p>

[SET]
    name: Choice Band
    move 1: Crabhammer / Waterfall
    move 2: Crunch
    move 3: Superpower
    move 4: Double-Edge
    item: Choice Band
    ability: Adaptability
    nature: Adamant
    evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Crawdaunt is one of the most powerful Choice Band users in the tier, with its Crabhammer almost reaching the power of Kyurem-B's Outrage, even over-powering it under rain. Crawdaunt can even break past the most physically bulky walls in OU such as Skarmory and Forretress. However, keep in mind that Crawdaunt is meant to be a hit-and-run attacker due to its low Speed.</p>

<p>Crabhammer is the main move of the set and hits extremely hard (especially in the rain), as almost everything that's not immune to it gets at least 2HKOed. Waterfall can be used over Crabhammer for the improved accuracy, but the reduced power often makes it an inferior option given how Crawdaunt is meant to come in and do as much damage as possible in one hit. Furthermore, the 20% flinch chance&mdash;one of the main reasons to use Waterfall&mdash;will rarely be taken advantage of with Crawdaunt's horrendous Speed. Crunch has excellent neutral coverage alongside Crawdaunt's Water-type STAB, and lets it defeat Jellicent and Celebi, which are immune to or resist Water, respectively. The last two moves are meant to hit specific targets that resist Crawdaunt's STAB attacks. Superpower deals with Ferrothorn and Keldeo, while Double-Edge is for Toxicroak and Breloom.</p>

<p>Here are a few calculations to portray Crawdaunt's power:</p>

<ul="damage calculation">
    <li>252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory in rain: 260-308 (79.51 - 94.18%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
    <li>252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress in rain: 260-308 (73.44 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
    <li>252+ Atk Choice Band Crawdaunt Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 272-322 (77.27 - 91.47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
    <li>252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed: 236-278 (61.45 - 72.39%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
    <li>252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crunch vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Gastrodon: 332-392 (77.93 - 92.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
    <li>252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi in rain: 458-540 (113.36 - 133.66%) -- guaranteed OHKO</li>
    </ul>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The rain that Politoed summons is mandatory for Crawdaunt, as it enables Crawdaunt's Water-type STAB to reach powers at unimaginable levels. Tailwind Tornadus remedies Crawdaunt's Speed issues, and turns Crawdaunt into a terrifying sweeper. Stealth Rock and Spikes support from the likes of Skarmory and Ferrothorn deter Pokemon such as Gyarados and Celebi from switching in, and also helps Crawdaunt potentially score additional OHKOs. Paralysis support from Celebi or Jirachi is appreciated, as it also mitigates Crawdaunt's Speed issues. Furthermore, Celebi and Jirachi are defensive enough to respond to the majority of sweepers that switch into Crawdaunt. Because Crawdaunt is meant to be a wallbreaker, Pokemon who appreciate having walls removed or weakened make for good partners. Some good examples are Double Dance Landorus-T, Swords Dance Scizor, and Mamoswine.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Dragon Dance looks great on paper, but Crawdaunt is too slow to sweep, even at +1, as Choice Scarf Keldeo and Terrakion still outspeed and OHKO; Gyarados also performs this role <em>much</em> better. Likewise, Swords Dance can be used to differentiate Crawdaunt from Gyarados and Azumarill, but again, its Speed greatly limits the chance Crawdaunt has at a successful sweep. Aerial Ace allows it to hit Breloom, Toxicroak, and Keldeo without having to resort to Double-Edge, although its uses end there and Double-Edge's enhanced power is more appreciated. Life Orb or Splash Plate can be considered, although Choice Band gives Crawdaunt the raw power it needs to maintain a niche in OU.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Switching into Crawdaunt is often hard given its extraordinary power. Toxicroak, specifically its Toxic stall set, is arguably Crawdaunt's best counter, as it outspeeds, walls Crawdaunt's STAB moves and Superpower, and OHKOes Crawdaunt with Drain Punch. Using relatively fast and strong attackers to OHKO it is usually a good answer as well; however, switching them in safely is the hard part. For example, Lucario can switch in on Crunch and Double-Edge, Keldeo and defensive Breloom switch into either STAB move, and Ferrothorn switches into everything except Superpower. Ninetales can summon the sun, which lowers the power of Crawdaunt's Water-type STAB, allowing Venusaur&mdash;a very popular Pokemon on sun teams&mdash;to set up on Crawdaunt Choice-locked into Crabhammer or Waterfall. Gastrodon, Ferrothorn, Kyurem-B, Kyurem, Jellicent, and Celebi can tank, or outright absorb, Crabhammer or Waterfall and OHKO back with the appropriate attack. Tangrowth, although rare, walls Crawdaunt to hell and back, and it can also OHKO with its Grass-type STAB. Just avoid giving Crawdaunt switch-in opportunities by not using set up baits, such as Blissey, specially defensive Heatran, and Scizor Choice-locked into Pursuit, as much as possible, as Crawdaunt only needs one turn to wreak havoc.</p>
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. Rohail

Rohail Vaporeon <3
    Mentor

Alright, I have finished the write-up and this is ready for a final look from QC :)
    Note: I have taken the parts that Vertex wrote (Overview and SC) and tweaked them to match my style of writing.
  3. BKC

BKC Outstanding ideas,
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis Smogon Frontier's Castle Valetis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 16 Champion

qc approved 3/3
  4. Rohail

Rohail Vaporeon <3
    Mentor

Thanks BKC! This is now ready for GP :)
  5. GCSChris

GCSChris

Great job Rohail17! I made an amcheck.

6. Rohail

Rohail Vaporeon <3
    Mentor

I've implemented every change suggested in your amcheck except this: "Note that these moves have nasty side-effects that might cause Crawdaunt to switch; Tthe former lowers Crawdaunt's Attack and Defense, while the latter causes recoil damage upon use." Thanks though ^_^

I've also reworded a few other sections :o
  7. GCSChris

GCSChris

Sorry it was supposed to be:
    'Note that these moves have nasty side-effects that might cause Crawdaunt to switch; Tthe former lowers Crawdaunt's Attack and Defense, while the latter causes recoil damage upon use.'
    you accidentally capitalized the second clause
  8. tehy

tehy

Hey, just reading through this and a few things:

Firstly, you use nasty side effects twice, both times referring to the same things. It's a bit repetitive, and furthermore, you state that Double-edge's recoil will cause you to switch out. Theoretically, this could happen, but it's much more likely that you will be forced out by anything that can take a double-edge or outspeed and KO before this becomes a major issue, so while Superpower might cause you to switch out, I doubt Double-Edge will.

Considering it's a wallbreaker with max speed evs, it's a bit of a stretch to say Crawdaunt can NEVER make use of Waterfall flinches. It easily outspeeds many Skarmory, for example.

In the crunch section, you seem to say that being SE on Jellicent/Celebi means that Crunch has excellent neutral coverage, but those two things aren't too related. Instead, you could just say 'and it hits them SE'.

Physically defensive Celebi isn't even an analysis and is arguably not that good in this meta, so it seems a bit off to mention it as a partner. Specially Defensive celebi is still capable of sponging many fighting-type attacks in any case, especially when compared to Latios or even Latias, which you mention in the same vein

In the other options section, if Crawdaunt has a few other options, why not mention them? At least it'd be nice if you said straight-out they suck and aren't worth using.

Why is Toxic Stall Toxicroak being named specifically? I know it's bulkier physically, but it's also the last set in the analysis and practically nonexistent on the ladder. Maybe just say 'specifically Bulky Toxicroaks" instead?

Jellicent should really not be lumped in with Celebi and the rest of them;if it's got Water Absorb, it doesn't actually tank any hits, and it certainly can't KO back easily (Energy Ball Jellicent, perhaps?).

I would add in the last sentence that it's frail in addition to being slow, and say that any decently powerful and fast threat can defeat it
  9. Rohail

Rohail Vaporeon <3
    Mentor

Thanks tehy, your tips were appreciated ^_^
  10. Namso

Namso formerly Fuzznip
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from with all of this. This analysis needs a lot of work.
  11. Rohail

Rohail Vaporeon <3
    Mentor

Alright, thanks Fuzznip for all your tips and recommendations. Because there are a lot of them, I'm moving this back to the QC stage for a QC member to look at your recommendations (and tell me which ones I should implement and which I shouldn't). After getting another stamp, I'll give it back to GP. Btw, I am not offended by any of these, I would much rather take another week to have a top quality analysis go on-site instead of completing it in a day or two but having lackluster quality. Once again, thanks ^_^

Oh and I shudda just implemented the other moves as many people have been buggin me about them <_< but still, I'll wait for QC input cuz I'm a lazy bum.

Edit: this means I haven't implemented your changes because I'm waiting for QC input on them
  12. Namso

Namso formerly Fuzznip
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

In that case, you should probably edit the QC: 3/3 in the title so the members don't think it's actually done.
  13. Annoyer

Annoyer =)~
    is a Tiering Contributor

"Besides, the 30% flinch chance&mdash;one of the main reason to use it&mdash;"

waterfall is 20% chance n_n
    ebeast likes this.
  14. Rohail

Rohail Vaporeon <3
    Mentor

15. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Lead

Emphasize that Politoed's Drizzle support is mandatory for Crawdaunt's success. There's little reason to use Crawdaunt otherwise.

You might want to specify this further as SD Acrobatic Scizor, since the usual SD Scizor would have a hard time with Jellicent and Tentacruel.

Elaborate by stating that Terrakion and Keldeo are faster than +1 Crawdaunt even without a Scarf.

QC APPROVED (4/4) OK, i'll have to check it later
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  16. Rohail

Rohail Vaporeon <3
    Mentor

Implemented but, you still haven't answered my question: How many of Fuzznip's recommendations should I implement (and what are they obv.)?
  17. Pocket

is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Lead

Overview

Keep Feraligatr - people have seen it in action during OST and SPL finals; Gatr is relevant in OU

End the Overview, stating, "although Crawdaunt is outclassed by much sturdier and faster physical Water-types of OU, the raw power from Adapatability-boosted Waterfall in the rain is the main appeal of Crawdaunt in OU.

Choice Band Set Comments

I agree with Fuzznip's suggestions, including adding convincing damage calcs of Crawdaunt's raw power.

Waterfall is 20% flinch chance

Additional Comments

I agree with all of Fuzznip suggestions, especially #5. You can still keep SD Scizor (non-Acrobatic this time) by framing it as a sweeper that benefits from the removal of bulky Water-types. Double Dance Landorus-T / Mamoswine / Garchomp also appreciates Crawdaunt's wall-breaking capabilities as well. Same goes for offensive Water-types like Keldeo and Starmie (although, Crawdaunt doesn't lure special-sponges like Blissey / Chansey, it can use Starmie as a special sponge-lure for a free switch-in).

Other Options

I would add all but Brick Break. You can state how Swords Dance can come in handy when the opponent's Blissey / Heatran / etc uses Protect to scout Crawdaunt's moves, but it'll rarely have an opportunity to use it otherwise.

Checks and Counters

1) yes

2) okay, but I'd probably remove Terrakion from that list of example, cuz it sounds too ballsy

3) nah, leave Sun - Ninetales shouldn't be switching into Crawdaunt, but Sun definitely kills Crawdaunt's nuking capabilities - still need to watch out for Crunch, though

4) Keep Kyurem(-B) imo, it's still one of the better answers to Crawdaunt

5) Keep Tangrowth, too; it's still decent in OU to be a pertinent suggestion

6) Okay. Add that the best way to neutralize Crawdaunt is to not give it any free opportunities to switch in or attack by avoiding using set-up bait Pokemon, such as specially-defensive Heatran / Blissey / Celebi without STAB Grass / Scizor locked into Pursuit, as much as possible. This is common sense, but it's particularly devastating for a glasscannon like Crawdaunt.
  18. Rohail

Rohail Vaporeon <3
    Mentor

Finally implemented everything; thanks Pocket, and especially Fuzznip.

This is ready for GP again ^_^
  19. Namso

Namso formerly Fuzznip
    Mentor

Sweet!

Additions.
    Deletions.
    Comments.

This is miles ahead of the last analysis. Great job, Rohail.

GP 1/2
  20. Pocket

Doubles Co-Lead

Change Waterfall to Crabhammer

Remove Breloom, or specify that Breloom must be physically-defensive @ Poison Heal to tank a Rain-boosted CB Crabhammer. The standard offensive Breloom wont survive that hit :[

Please make those changes

QC APPROVED (4/4)
  21. Rohail

Rohail Vaporeon <3
    Mentor

Thanks you guys! Implemented and ready for the last check ^_^
  22. Oglemi

Oglemi it's me heysup's gay friend, the legendary gaysup
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

add
    remove
    comments

Show Hide

[Overview]

<p>Back in the day, Crawdaunt was severely outclassed by numerous offensive Water-types such as Azumarill and Gyarados; however, it has returned to BW OU with a blessing from the Dream World: Adaptability. With this new ability boosting the power of Crawdaunt's STAB moves, it can now practically 2HKO the entire tier. Unfortunately, Crawdaunt has to deal with its atrocious defensive typing, which is compounded by its bad bulk and terrible Speed. While not completely outclassed, Crawdaunt still faces stiff competition from Feraligatr and the aforementioned Gyarados as an offensive Water-type, as they have much higher bulk, Speed, and reliability, despite Adaptability making Crawdaunt stronger than both of them. Although Crawdaunt is outclassed by sturdier and faster physical Water-types, the raw power of Adaptability-boosted Crabhammer in the rain is the main appeal of Crawdaunt in OU.</p>

[SET]
    name: Choice Band
    move 1: Crabhammer / Waterfall
    move 2: Crunch
    move 3: Superpower
    move 4: Double-Edge
    item: Choice Band
    ability: Adaptability
    nature: Adamant
    evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Crawdaunt is one of the most powerful Choice Band users in the tier, with its Crabhammer almost reaching the power of Kyurem-B's Outrage, even over-powering it under rain. Crawdaunt can even break past the most physically bulky walls in OU such as Skarmory and Forretress. However, keep in mind that Crawdaunt is meant to be a hit-and-run attacker due to its low Speed.</p>

<p>Crabhammer is the main move of the set and hits extremely hard (especially in the rain), as almost everything that's not immune to it gets at least 2HKOed. Waterfall can be used over Crabhammer for the improved accuracy, but the reduced power often makes it an inferior option given how Crawdaunt is meant to come in and do as much damage as possible in one hit. Furthermore, the 20% flinch chance&mdash;one of the main reasons to use Waterfall&mdash;will rarely be taken advantage of with Crawdaunt's horrendous Speed. Crunch has excellent neutral coverage alongside Crawdaunt's Water-type STAB, and lets it defeat Jellicent and Celebi, which are immune to or resist Water, respectively. The last two moves are meant to hit specific targets that resist Crawdaunt's STAB attacks. Superpower deals with Ferrothorn and Keldeo, while Double-Edge is for Toxicroak and Breloom.</p>

<p>Here are a few calculations to portray Crawdaunt's power:</p>

<ul="damage_calculation">
    <li>252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory in rain: 260-308 (79.51 - 94.18%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
    <li>252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress in rain: 260-308 (73.44 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
    <li>252+ Atk Choice Band Crawdaunt Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 272-322 (77.27 - 91.47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
    <li>252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed: 236-278 (61.45 - 72.39%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
    <li>252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crunch vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Gastrodon: 332-392 (77.93 - 92.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
    <li>252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi in rain: 458-540 (113.36 - 133.66%) -- guaranteed OHKO</li>
    </ul>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The rain that Politoed summons is mandatory for Crawdaunt, as it enables Crawdaunt's Water-type STAB to reach powers at unimaginable levels. Tailwind Tornadus remedies Crawdaunt's Speed issues, and turns Crawdaunt into a terrifying sweeper. Stealth Rock and Spikes support from the likes of Skarmory and Ferrothorn deter Pokemon such as Gyarados and Celebi from switching in, and also helps Crawdaunt potentially score additional OHKOs. Paralysis support from Celebi or Jirachi is appreciated, as it also mitigates Crawdaunt's Speed issues. Furthermore, Celebi and Jirachi are defensive enough to respond to the majority of sweepers that switch into Crawdaunt. Because Crawdaunt is meant to be a wallbreaker, Pokemon who appreciate having walls removed or weakened make for good partners. Some good examples are Double Dance Landorus-T, Swords Dance Scizor, and Mamoswine.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Dragon Dance looks great on paper, but Crawdaunt is too slow to sweep, even at +1, as Choice Scarf Keldeo and Terrakion still outspeed and OHKO; Gyarados also performs this role <em>much</em> better. Likewise, Swords Dance can be used to differentiate Crawdaunt from Gyarados and Azumarill, but again, its Speed greatly limits the chance Crawdaunt has at a successful sweep. Aerial Ace allows it to hit Breloom, Toxicroak, and Keldeo without having to resort to Double-Edge, although its uses end there and Double-Edge's enhanced power is more appreciated. Life Orb or Splash Plate can be considered, although Choice Band gives Crawdaunt the raw power it needs to maintain a niche in OU.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Switching into Crawdaunt is often hard given its extraordinary power. Toxicroak, specifically its Toxic stall set, is arguably Crawdaunt's best counter, as it outspeeds, walls Crawdaunt's STAB moves and Superpower, and OHKOes Crawdaunt with Drain Punch. Using relatively fast and strong attackers to OHKO it is usually a good answer as well; however, switching them in safely is the hard part. For example, Lucario can switch in on Crunch and Double-Edge, Keldeo and defensive Breloom switch into either STAB move, and Ferrothorn switches into everything except Superpower. Ninetales can summon the sun, which lowers the power of Crawdaunt's Water-type STAB, allowing Venusaur&mdash;a very popular Pokemon on sun teams&mdash;to set up on Crawdaunt Choice-locked into Crabhammer or Waterfall. Gastrodon, Ferrothorn, Kyurem-B, Kyurem, Jellicent, and Celebi can tank, or outright absorb, Crabhammer or Waterfall and OHKO back with the appropriate attack. Tangrowth, although rare, walls Crawdaunt to hell and back, and it can also OHKO with its Grass-type STAB. Just avoid giving Crawdaunt switch-in opportunities by not using set up baits, such as Blissey, specially defensive Heatran, and Scizor Choice-locked into Pursuit, as much as possible, as Crawdaunt only needs one turn to wreak havoc.</p>

GP Approved 2/2
  23. Rohail

Rohail Vaporeon <3
    Mentor

Thanks @Oglemi, this is now ready to be uploaded!
  24. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)