Resource Creative and Underrated Sets: ORAS Edition (NO SHITTY GIMMICKS, Read Post #419)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a pretty effective set that works well in countering bulky mons that could otherwise be problematic

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Foul Play/Play Rough
- Fairy Lock
- Thunder Wave

Trap Klefki is a great mon in this meta imo as it functions the way a standard Klefki would but can utilize priority Fairy Lock to prevent threats from switching out after they have killed Klefki allowing you to go straight out into a check and remove that threat for the rest of the game. Trapper Klefki functions well in this meta as bulky ground pokemon are becoming more and more common with the rise of tank chomp and the huge usage stats of Lando-T and Hippo, the ability to die to an earthquake and go right out into something that can kill them allows for some of your mons to sweep or clean up weakened teams. Using Specially defensive EVs since most of the aforementioned mons will be using earthquake to kill this. Functions really well on Hyper Offensive teams and Volt-Turn teams and works well alongside powerful unboosted special attacking mons with moves supereffective against ground and physical sweepers who take advantage of their counters being killed.

EDIT: This set is better suited to Bulky Offense and Keldeo is a great partner

Last edited:
Here's a pretty effective set that works well in countering bulky mons that could otherwise be problematic

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Foul Play
- Fairy Lock
- Thunder Wave

Trap Klefki is a great mon in this meta imo as it functions the way a standard Klefki would but can utilize priority Fairy Lock to prevent threats from switching out after they have killed Klefki allowing you to go straight out into a check and remove that threat for the rest of the game. Trapper Klefki functions well in this meta as bulky ground pokemon are becoming more and more common with the rise of tank chomp and the huge usage stats of Lando-T and Hippo, the ability to die to an earthquake and go right out into something that can kill them allows for some of your mons to sweep or clean up weakened teams. Using Specially defensive EVs since most of the aforementioned mons will be using earthquake to kill this. Functions really well on Hyper Offensive teams and Volt-Turn teams and works well alongside powerful unboosted special attacking mons with moves supereffective against ground and physical sweepers who take advantage of their counters being killed.
you might as well just c+p from this post instead of paraphrasing,,, it's doesn't work as a counter although it is a nice soft check to stuff like mgardevoir, latwins and gengar but moreso it's primary role on the team is to lure in bulky grounds (or any pokemon that is threatening to your team) and it's secondary role on the team is to place a layer of spikes if given a free turn and work as an emergency safety net with twave. tbh i've found play rough significantly more reliable because you definitely want to run play rough to damage dragons and foul play simply doesn't dish out reliable damage.

in theory, yes it might work well on HO teams but i have found significantly better results playing it on bulky offense teams with ways to force the opponent out with the use of pivots such as rotom-w and tankchomp to take advantage of spikes and teams that utilise strong water attackers to break down bulky grounds (most notably keldeo). teams that usually pack bulky grounds usually have significantly longer staying power and HO teams simply don't have the longevity to play a prolonged game.

Last edited:
you might as well just c+p from this post instead of paraphrasing,,, it's doesn't work as a counter although it is a nice soft check to stuff like mgardevoir, latwins and gengar but moreso it's primary role on the team is to lure in bulky grounds (or any pokemon that is threatening to your team) and it's secondary role on the team is to place a layer of spikes if given a free turn and work as an emergency safety net with twave. tbh i've found play rough significantly more reliable because you definitely want to run play rough to damage dragons and foul play simply doesn't dish out reliable damage.

in theory, yes it might work well on HO teams but i have found significantly better results playing it on bulky offense teams with ways to force the opponent out with the use of pivots such as rotom-w and tankchomp to take advantage of spikes and teams that utilise strong water attackers to break down bulky grounds (most notably keldeo). teams that usually pack bulky grounds usually have significantly longer staying power and HO teams simply don't have the longevity to play a prolonged game.
I didn`t realise that this had been done already I just got the set from a mate who dropped me a moderately spicy HO team that used this to kill all the mons standing in the way of scarf Lando-T and thought it was better suited for a more offensive team. Your suggestions are probably better tho as I have only tried to use this on offensive teams but I will edit to say that it is also pretty saucy on bulky offense. Ty

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Aerodactyl @ Leftovers
Ability: Unnerve/Pressure
EVs: 64 HP / 228 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock/Earthquake/Toxic
- Roost
- Stone Edge

At first glance this mon may seem somewhat mediocre w/o a mega. And stat wise it kinda is, but it has nice typing to be able to deal with threats like Talonflame and Tornadus-T which are two commonly used mons and are very threatening to face.

216 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Aerodactyl: 129-152 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
160 SpA Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Aerodactyl: 94-111 (29.6 - 35%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

(Watch out for Focus Blast/Superpower on your Roost though)

Taunt is a great move, allowing you to beat a number of things and lets this Aerodactyl beat Clefable by stopping its recovery and stone edge/EQ/Toxic whittling it down, Tank Chomp - Immune to EQ, stops its rocks, Toxic whittles it down however it will DTail you out or switch and more

0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Aerodactyl: 124-147 (39.1 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery - Avoids the 2hko allowing it to win vs it 1 on 1 w/ Taunt + Roost + Attack

Roost is just general recovery, great move. Not much to add here

Stone Edge is powerful STAB and allows it to do decent damage to most non resists, could be swapped out for one of the other filler moves if needed but I recommend keeping it

(Rock Slide) could also be used here because it has more PP and doesn't miss, but it is quite a lot weaker and isn't able to 2hko things like Lando-I, Latias, etc

Filler slot:

Earthquake Provides powerful EdgeQuake coverage, reliable move (can't miss) hits things like Bisharp which otherwise cause this set some trouble

Stealth Rock only if you don't have a rocker already, v good move but using it on this set takes away its ability to use another filler move which would otherwise be very helpful to it

Toxic allows you to whittle fat mons like Slowbro, Tankchomp, Unaware Clefable, etc

EVs: 216+ Speed is enough to outspeed max speed Weavile
228 Attack is enough to 2hko both Latias and Landorus-I

228 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 151-178 (47.3 - 55.7%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
228 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 151-178 (47.3 - 55.7%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
(You could increase the investment a little but 80% chance is enough for me)

64HP is just leftover evs dumped in to help increase bulk

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IDK about the Aero set. Unless it is being used as a lead (i.e. Sash w/ enough speed to outpace max jolly Talonflame (the fastest relevant threat that Aerodactyl can outpace)), Aerodactyl is completely outclassed by its mega - which itself has somewhat low opportunity cost to its use (as usually if you're using Aerodactyl outside of a lead role you won't have another mega). I would fully support Lead Dactyl being on the underrated sets thing (because it is genuinely underrated as a lead, even seeing a little use in tournament play), but idk about offensive tbh.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I am not reading 23 pages to see if this was already posted.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
Careful Nature
- Waterfall
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk​

OU player TDK can confirm that this set is amazing. Here's some calcs before I start explaining the set:

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Swampert: 153-183 (37.8 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Swampert: 187-222 (46.2 - 54.9%) -- 62.9% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Swampert: 67-79 (16.5 - 19.5%) -- possible 6HKO

+2 0 Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 261-307 (66.2 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Swampert: 81-96 (20 - 23.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Swampert: 112-133 (27.7 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Swampert: 123-145 (30.4 - 35.8%) -- 45.3% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Swampert: 46-55 (11.3 - 13.6%) -- possible 8HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Swampert: 136-161 (33.6 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Swampert: 157-187 (38.8 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

SpDef Mega Swampert shits on Electric-types and other stuffs. Rest + Sleep Talk is not the most reliable recovery ever, but that's all Swampert gets and it cures status so it's good enough. Curse allows Mega Swampert to beat some CM users like Clefable. This set is kinda Spikes bait though, so use some entry hazards removal and 'mons that shits on the Spikers such as Talonflame or Skarmory. Nice 'mon for bulky teams that don't want Hippodown for their bulky Ground-types and that needs a win condition.

Last edited:

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / whatever SpD or Spe you want
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch / Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

This set is good, like, really really good. Looking for something that checks Mega Diancie, Mega Altaria, Kyurem-B, Mega Gardevoir, Clefable, Landorus all at once? This is the set for you buddy. Shuca Berry, for those who don't know, weakens opposing Ground-type attacks. 72 atk investment along with an Adamant nature allows Jirachi to OHKO Landorus-I after a round of SR with Ice Punch, effectively luring it and getting rid of it for the rest of the match. Getting rid of such a big threat is huge already, but Shuca Berry does not only help with that; it's also useful against Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, which you can live any hit even if it is at +4 and proceed to cripple it with Thunder Wave and kill it with flinching shenanigans. Also, tell to these Mega Diancies that think that they can kill you at 50% a big NO and OHKO them back with Iron Head. Everything has already been explained, you know, it's standard pivot Jirachi but with a twist on its item and moveset. This set is really effective and I encourage you guys to try it out.
Hey man, nice set! Have you considered Icy Wind over Ice Punch? Really nice in this meta I feel like mainly due to Tank Chomp (you can avoid all the Helm+Skin damage) I believe you need about 144 SpAtk EVs to guarantee a 2HKO on standard Bulky Chomp

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

It's not creative by any means, but I just wanted to share this because I've been using this set a lot (since like, mid-XY or so) and think it's decently underrated in the current meta. RHelm SD Chomp serves as a cool median between offensive (SR) Garchomp and bulky Garchomp, providing the same utility in SR and Helmet residuals while offering some potentially much-needed offensive presence and nice (to an extent) surprise value. My main issue with FatChomp, although it can perform its role well under a solid amount of situations, is that it's very passive, especially for something that would be used on a more offensively-inclined build. SD allows you to push adequate damage on common fatmons like Lando-T / Clef / Ferrothorn / Slowbro / Gliscor etc. that would otherwise wall Garchomp completely, and with solid bulk Garchomp finds many chances to set up. I like to run max speed to get the jump on the bunch of megas sitting at the base 100 speed tier, especially stuff like Charizard-Y and Gardevoir who most often than not run Modest natures. You can also outspeed various other stuff, like Kyurem-B, Hydreigon, Excadrill, etc. that you otherwise wouldn't be able to when running, what, 264-ish speed? The speed also lets you clean slower builds somewhat consistently, since Chomp still retains the bulk to stick around 'till the late game if necessary. Adamant here grabs a bit of much-needed attack to more adequately pressure fatmons, and the rest is thrown into HP for the bulk. The most notable downside I've found when using this set is that it's much more shaky as a Bisharp check, but otherwise performs pretty solidly.
Just want to add that this set is really useful to get SR up against teams with mega Sableye, which otherwise comes in repeatedly on standard rocky helmet Chomp.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpD
Bold / Relaxed Nature
- Encore / Knock Off
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
This is a really cool set, but I feel that it needs Toxic in the first slot to reliably beat a lot of the stuff it checks without causing a standstill or losing to bulky setup sweepers that can take its attacks. Charizard-X, Latias, Mega Gyarados and Chesnaught are good examples of this, as well as Charizard-Y if you're using a SpDef spread. Toxic still allows it to beat stuff like Serperior and Dragonite 1v1, and although Latios can usually 3HKO Azu with Life Orb Psyshock, Azu can still cripple it whereas with Knock Off it can't beat Latios 1v1 without resorting to PP stall. Besides that, Toxic still serves as general utility against a variety of common Azumarill switch-ins, such as Rotom-W, Quagsire, and random Grass-types like Tangrowth, as well as of course a solid amount of common 'Mons found on Stall/Balance. Overall Encore and Knock Off are each very useful in their own rights but since Azu can only fit one or the other (and using only one of Encore/Knock mean that Azu will lose to a chunk of the 'Mons it's supposed to check) it'll usually want Toxic as a more general, blanket utility move for this role.

e: SHOUTOUTS doughboy I knew I seen this set somewhere

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is a really cool set, but I feel that it needs Toxic in the first slot to reliably beat a lot of the stuff it checks without causing a standstill or losing to bulky setup sweepers that can take its attacks. Charizard-X, Latias, Mega Gyarados and Chesnaught are good examples of this, as well as Charizard-Y if you're using a SpDef spread. Toxic still allows it to beat stuff like Serperior and Dragonite 1v1, and although Latios can usually 3HKO Azu with Life Orb Psyshock, Azu can still cripple it whereas with Knock Off it can't beat Latios 1v1 without resorting to PP stall. Besides that, Toxic still serves as general utility against a variety of common Azumarill switch-ins, such as Rotom-W, Quagsire, and random Grass-types like Tangrowth, as well as of course a solid amount of common 'Mons found on Stall/Balance. Overall Encore and Knock Off are each very useful in their own rights but since Azu can only fit one or the other (and using only one of Encore/Knock mean that Azu will lose to a chunk of the 'Mons it's supposed to check) it'll usually want Toxic as a more general, blanket utility move for this role.

e: SHOUTOUTS doughboy I knew I seen this set somewhere
I wont deny that Toxic is certainly useful, but Encore is still a great option. With it, Azu may not be able to take on certain threats it normally would with Toxic (such as Serp, Zard Y Lati@s, random fat mons, etc), but it is still able to take on many threats with team support, and its quite good at its job in that regard. Im not sure if you watched the replay I linked or not, but it is a great showcase of how clutch encore really is. There were quite a few instances in that game in which Encore gave me a significant advantage. The first was when I locked Clef into Softboiled, which allowed to me to bring in Lati for free, something that otherwise would be impossible. While my main goal with that play was defogging, I was actually able to lure in the Heracross (a pretty big threat to my team) predicting the Bisharp and promptly take it out. Then, later in the game I was able to lock Gyarados into DD which let me switch in Zard and burn it with a wisp. Had I had toxic instead, I most certainly would have lost. Furthermore, Encore is what prevents Azu from being setup bait. stuff like DD Zard X, CM Clef, or even SubCM Keldeo would set up on it, and being able to lock the mon into a setup move and switch to a teammate can instantly turn the tide of a match into my favor. Toxic helps remedy this somewhat and may be useful for taking on certain mons better (such as Lati@s, Serp, etc), but its not like Encore is a totally useless slot because on top of it being a great move in and of itself, its vastly unexpected and clutch when used at the right time. id say Toxic is good for wearing down the Latis, zards, and serp faster, but encore takes advantage of setup sweepers more, which include all of CM Clef, SubCM Keldeo, SubDD Gyara, DD Zard X, and even mons like SD Talon if you catch it trying to get cheeky. its also great for making defensive mons useless by locking them into recovery moves since theyll be inclined to use them due to azus low damage output.

I'll edit in toxic as a slash and remove knock off (since its very team specific), but encore still remains a great move when paired with the proper teammates. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

Cobalion @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge / Taunt / Substitute / Hidden Power Ice

" Are you crazy, Remilia? Lucario & Terrakion can do everything SD Cobalion wants to do! There's no reason to use that! "
That would be true, only that you're ignoring one fact that might matter against bulkier teams: Survivability.
You see, Luke & Terrak might have much more impressive power, & ESpeed for Lucario, but Cobalion can actually hope to win against a pokemon you may fail to OHKO or even miss your move in case you're using Stone Edge/Iron Tail/Anything due to its very decent bulk, particularly on the physical side, allowing him to even leave uninvested EQs from things such as Garchomp.
To illustrate my idea, let me give you a clear example: Mixed Wall Hippowdon
The case with Lucario? Close Combat barely fails to OHKO Hippowdon, and Hippo KOs you back with EQ, no matter your -1.
Cobalion's case? Iron Head + Close Combat from Cobalion kills Hippow! But what about EQ, doesn't it do a crap ton of damage? Actually, it's max damage is 70%! Meaning you win the battle Lucario barely failed to win.
Your fillers are various & all decent: Stone Edge for coverage, Taunt to make you harder to break for defensive teams if they're lacking something to hit you hard, Substitute to set up safely whenever you find one moment to use it, HP Ice lets you wins vs Defensive Lando-T and Defensive Garchomp ( You have to be sure they are Defensive through, otherwise, CC will do the job for Garchomp )

This is just one specific case, but trust me, after further testing, a similar situation might just happen way more than you would actually think by just looking at this set right now. :)

AM Edit: Edited the picture cause it was hurting my eyes.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs / Anticipation
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 84 SpD / 84 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

Here is an underrated set I would like to share: SubSeed Ferrothorn. Mainly you use it to spread paralysis because it forces a ton of switches between Leech Seed and Substitute. With SubSeed and paraflich, it can even beat typical counters like Heatran 1 vs 1. It is especially good when paired with something that Knock Offs Heatran Leftovers like Clefable. You could even run Anticipation to make sure your Ferrothorn doesn't necessarily have to use Substitute to scout out moves. Normally I wouldn't recommend Anticipation on all other Ferrothorn sets, but Iron Barbs doesn't give damage behind a Substitute so sometimes it is useless and doesn't come into play often. Here is a replay vs AM of it in action. Below is the description from my RMT.

Now you when you first look at this set the first thing that came to mind probably was "wtf is that lol" so allow me to explain. For my Sand Veil users I wanted some good paralysis support. I knew that Ferrothorn is an unepected Paralysis user that Ground-types and Electric-types don't like switching into. This team originally started as a joke and I wanted something that was a little more trolly. I knew that Subseeders were a good fit on paralysis teams, so I came up with SubSeed Ferrothorn. Maybe Spikes could fit better on this team, but SubSeed Ferrothorn is just so much fun. Much to my surprise, Subseed Ferrothorn turned out to be surprisingly good. In fact, when played right it can beat Heatran and Charizard X 1 vs 1 sometimes.

The way this set works is that Ferrothorn is a Pokemon that forces a ton of switches, so it can use Substitute to scout out what the opponent is going to do. Normally the opponent switches out to his Ferrothorn counter while you Substitute. When the opponent tries to break Ferrothorn's Substitute (normally Heatran's Lava Plume) you Thunder Wave. Now you have two options: Substitute again for a paralysis chance or switch out, then the next times Ferrothorn comes in Substitute or Leech Seed. Your opponent will now be put into an annoying position. If he switches out Ferrothorn is still behind a Substitute and he takes SR damage. If he stays in his health is slowly whittled away. One of the interesting things about this Ferrothorn is that it only risks 1 Scald burn, the one before you Substitute. Other Ferrothorns fall prey to Scald spam and always get burned (two Scalds = 50% chance to burn!). On this team you can pass Leech Seeds to Gliscor and Garchomp so they get even more chances to Substitute. In addition, Ferrothorn pulls off the classic para-flinch combo with Iron Head that can buy it extra Leech Seed turns and annoy your opponent. Iron Head is also helpful versus Clefable. Power Whip is also useful because Mega-Gyarados practically 6-0's this team but sometimes I can play around it with Twave Ferro and Slowbro.

The EV's are Ferrothorn's standard set but with the EV's from Special Defense put into speed. The speed investment lets you outspeed paralyzed targets so you can effectively SubSeed them. I used a couple different benchmarks while laddering. The one above is the fastest and the one I settled on. 84 Spe EV's outspeeds paralyzed Weavile (and everything paralyzed below) as well as uninvested base 30's. This benchmark is nice because it lets you scout out Slowbro for FB, avoids Slowbro's Scald, and outspeeda]s the increasingly popular Weaville. Other benchmarks include 48 Spe to outspeed paralyzed base 110's, 68 Spe to outspeed paralyzed AV Tornadus-T, and 72 Spe to outspeed paralyzed max speed Tornadus-T. 16 atk EV's gives you a very small chance of 2HKO'ing Clefable with Iron Head, not considering paralysis or flinching.

Talonflame @ White Herb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

So you all know how Landorus-T and Mega Manectric are generally considered be solid enough checks to Talonflame, thanks to Intimidate. But say we nullified that ability, and Talonflame Swords Dances as they switch in?

+2 252 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 222-262 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 304-358 (95.2 - 112.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 171-201 (60.8 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Nice.

Talonflame hasn't really been bothered with not having an item, the loss in power isn't too significant and itemless AcroFlame is still pretty good, so it's enough power to get the job done. The niche over a more standard luring set, such as a Wisp set, is that you still have access to Flare Blitz, which gives you a way to put holes into stuff like Raikou and Thundurus. You also have immediate offensive power, which allows you to be more threatening even when unboosted.

eventually you get checked again because they can sack something and switch back in. You will be forced out by Mega Manetric / defensive lando-t anyway because they can tank one hit and kill. so this is literally only useful for a revenge killing Scarf Lano-T for the first time it comes in.

eventually you get checked again because they can sack something and switch back in. You will be forced out by Mega Manetric / defensive lando-t anyway because they can tank one hit and kill. so this is literally only useful for a revenge killing Scarf Lano-T for the first time it comes in.
So wear them out first. Defensive Lando-T needs to take hits all day and doesn't have recovery, chip off 35% of its health before sending Talonflame in and it just dies. Manectric takes damage from everything, a couple switches into Rocks + some Spikes and it goes down as well. And if they're switching out, you're getting a free kill on something they would otherwise want to keep, and they're getting dragged through hazards again. Sounds like a net gain to me.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Okay so I know that Taunt is one of the main slashes on Serperior's only real set (unless you want to be picky and consider subseed a set), although Glare is definitely more common. Most people you ask say that Life Orb or Miracle seed is the go-to item. Personally I've tried this set out with those items and I feel that the longevity that Leftovers provides helps Serperior break stall better. It's actually one of the better offensive Stallbreakers in the tier since it has the speed to taunt fast Stealth Rock setters like Garchomp, annoying mons like Mew and after a couple boosts can even bust through Chansey. It's also pretty sweet to Taunt things like Volcarona or ZardX which assume you are going to switch out for free setup. Some of its primary switch-ins are pokemon like Heatran, Talonflame and Mega Venusaur, none of which appreciate being taunted on the switch (especially Talonflame which can't Roost off SR damage then). I feel this set is an underrated aspect of Serperior's utility and thought I would post it even if it isn't too far off from standard sets.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Sorry If this is a shitty gimmick, but I wanted to say it.

Innovation (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Coba Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Electric]

The one thing Keldeo hates the most is Flying types such as Talonflame as it gets OHKOd by priority Brave Bird. With the Coba Berry it can take one Brave Bird and then Revenge Killing with STAB Scald. It also works well against other flying types such as Tornadus-T, Mega Aerodactyl, Gyarados and etc. Hidden Power Electric is for opposing Gyarados as they can set up being a pain to kill. It also bluffs Keldeo having Scarf/Specs confusing the opponent. Have a nice day ^_^

(With Coba Berry)
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Coba Berry Keldeo: 187-222 (57.8 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
160 SpA Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Coba Berry Keldeo: 162-192 (50.1 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Coba Berry Keldeo: 157-186 (48.6 - 57.5%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Gyarados Bounce vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Coba Berry Keldeo: 243-286 (75.2 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(Without Coba Berry)
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 374-444 (115.7 - 137.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
212+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 314-372 (97.2 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
160 SpA Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 324-384 (100.3 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Gyarados Bounce vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 324-384 (100.3 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Champion
Big Chungus Winner

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Fire Blast
- Aura Sphere

i used this set in round 6 of ost, mainly as a lure to most of the checks people switch into mew such as heatran, sableye, talonflame. i also wanted something to use against balance teams that can hurt them harder than standard taunt - wisp, think starmie/ferro/hippowdon/skarmory. it also gives some sort of offensive presence which allows it to break past offensive switchins such as ohkoing talonflame and charizard x with +2 psychic and doing 80 to 94% to charizard y. the sets evs work for max attacking power as well as to outspeed positive base 80 pokemon and the hp evs add to mew's already good bulk. fire blast is chose over flamethrower mainly to achieve the 2hko on mega sableye at +2 and aura sphere can be switched for dark pulse to take on slowbro.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Ice/Dazzling Gleam

- Counter

I checked if this was posted and didn't find anything.

Counter really helps giving revenge killer Zam reliability AND a solid counter (hehehehe) to pursuit trappers coming in on it. Dazzling Gleam on sash Zam is ass imo because it doesn't 2HKO SpD or even mixed M-Sableye but it's always an option. Plus everyone expects LO zam so you have the advantage in term of predictions.

Last edited:

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/ 64 SpAtk/ 188 SpDef
Calm Nature
-Recover
-Will-o-Wisp
-Taunt
-Energy Ball

Say hello to the bane of Swampert's existence, destroying your opponent's precious Rain Team's muscle.

Jellicent, already an uncommon sight in OU,is an underrated counter to Keldeo, absorbing all of its water attacks, and even being able to tank Specs HP Electric of all things (252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 188+ SpD Jellicent: 144-170 (35.6 - 42%) -- 87.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery, and this is the worst case scenario for Jellicent). With rocks it has a large chance to 2HKO the standard Keldeo build. Energy Ball is the epitome of this set, as your opponent will never see it coming. Energy Ball destroys any Rotom-W that actually thinks it can wall Jellicent as well.

Will-o-Wisp is also very useful, as it allows you to cripple their physical attackers, allowing you to utterly ruin their Bisharps, Tyranitars, etc. Recover until they're defeated. Taunt is to make sure that Jellicent isn't a sitting duck.

Overall, this set works great if you need a surprise counter to waters such as Mega Swampert, Rotom-W, or Keldeo, but can also hold its own against Physical attackers thanks to Will-O-Wisp.

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Nice meme man lmao, Energy Ball Jellicent xD

Energy Ball is bad on Jellicent lol, because without a STAB move in the form of Scald, Jellicent is pretty much Taunt fodder. Energy Ball is piss weak, and without Scald, Jellicent is passive as hell. Jellicent really misses Scald's excellent utility in the burn it induces (damage + burn = win, and WOW really isn't the most reliable) and the STAB it gives. I mean, I get that Energy Ball hits Rotom-W, but that really is only one thing lol, and I'd rather use something like Toxic Jellicent to wear it down instead.

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Ice/Dazzling Gleam
- Counter

I checked if this was posted and didn't find anything.

Counter really helps giving revenge killer Zam reliability AND a solid counter (hehehehe) to pursuit trappers coming in on it. Dazzling Gleam on sash Zam is ass imo because it doesn't 2HKO SpD or even mixed M-Sableye but it's always an option. Plus everyone expects LO zam so you have the advantage in term of predictions.
Sadly, counter can't be used with Magic Guard as Alakazam can only learn it in gen 3 I believe

Huh nvm then, I could have sworn I saw someone use this recently.
Don't go so far as to cross it out; all it means is that you need to run defog/spin support rather than being able to rely on Magic Guard. It still does what it's meant to do as a lure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)