Resource ORAS Good Cores (Check Post #714)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I prefer HP [Ice] because it does not miss and the slight difference in power can matter. Icy Wind is still an option but the utility of slowing things down isn't always worth it.

I prefer HP [Ice] because it does not miss and the slight difference in power can matter. Icy Wind is still an option but the utility of slowing things down isn't always worth it.
Icy Wind does give you the chance to safely U-turn out on faster threats like M-Alakazam/Aero/Manectric/Lopunny, as well as every single relevant Scarfer in OU and get some chip damage off. I'd consider that very much worth it in tandem with Hellochi pointing out that HP Ice gets no notable OHKOs or 2HKOs over Icy Wind.

Also lets you cleanly 2HKO any Lando-I or Lando-T variant without resorting to Hurricane's shaky accuracy.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
100 SpA Tornadus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 248-296 (77.7 - 92.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

100 SpA Tornadus-T Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 228-272 (71.4 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The rolls are also better on the standard 160 SpA spread

160 SpA Tornadus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 264-312 (82.7 - 97.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

160 SpA Tornadus-T Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 240-284 (75.2 - 89%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Considering Landorus is capable of OHKOing with Rock Slide:

0 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Rock Slide vs. 156 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 268-317 (79.2 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

It is worth it to take chances on the better roll IMO.

Like I said Icy Wind is an option (I listed it in my Tornadus-Therian thread) but I personally prefer HP [Ice]. As always, customize any core I post to your own personal liking.

@ the above post(s)

icy wind btw also triggers bisharps' defiant, the added power of hp ice is actually fairly noticable, especially when hp ice 2hkoes sdef gliscor after factoring in poison heal recovery while icy wind has a chance of not doing so

160 SpA Tornadus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 204-240 (57.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
160 SpA Tornadus-T Icy Wind vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 184-220 (52.2 - 62.5%) -- 71.9% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

Klefki (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fairy Lock
- Spikes
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind

the metagame is currently shifting to a more slower-paced environment and bulky grounds such as tankchomp/hippo seem to be gaining a huge amount of popularity. these bulky grounds are usually the most important member on balance builds because they stop a plethora of threats, most notably electrics/talonflame/scarf landorus-t etc. this core takes advantage of balance team's over-reliance on their bulky grounds to stop threats. fairy lock is a move that acts as a trapping move, but only for the next turn. however, the twist about the move is that the user who used the move may not need to be on the field! klefki's presence is just begging for bulky grounds and heatran to just switch-in and throw a eq to do chip damage or get up their layer of stealth rock. when klefki is low on health, i can simply fodder off klefki and use prankster fairy lock on their bulky ground as they eq, and bring in specs keldeo and eliminate them with scald/icy wind. in the ideal scenario, you will get a layer of spikes off and a hippo kill for klefki, and i find the trade puts me in a more advantageous situation as i can now beat the opponent's team using a revenge-killer that would otherwise struggle to get past hippo, say mega manectric or scarf landorus-t. keldeo is the perfect partner for klefki because it's just the best at killing bulky grounds. klefki's fairy lock isn't just limited to bulky grounds only, you can trap any pokemon and mitigate the team's weakness to that pokemon, for example foddering klefki to your opponent's specs keldeo so that you can bring in your own mega alakazam safely and kill it!

if you would like the team i was testing w/ feel free to pm me

Last edited:

explodingdaisies

What's the point of talking if nobody ever listens
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Brick Break
- U-turn

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dragon Pulse

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Psychic/ Energy Ball/ Ice Beam/ Rest

This my first time posting so I'm not sure if this core has been posted but here goes.
This is my HO stall/wall breaking FWG.

BandTini just smashes through walls like it's nobody's business, the only thing is it relies heavily on prediction if its checks haven't been sufficiently weakened. I use break break over zen HB as it OHKO ttar which usually comes in on this set and 2HKOs heatran on the switch. Just to demonstrate some of the power it has

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 249-294 (81.9 - 96.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 266-314 (67.5 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

After Serperior's HA was released he's been a monster in OU. He covers many of victini's checks like bulky grounds, lati twins, azumarill and keldeo if choice locked. i use glare over giga drain for its support as victini and manaphy aren't the quickest so the speed controls helps a lot. I prefer HP ground over fire as heatran usually switches in to this set and is hit by leaf storm(and pop balloon on those tran variants) then get +2 and use HP ground which will KO even SpD heatran after rocks.

This manaphy can 6-0 stall teams without ferro once its boosted and even 2HKOs ferro in the rain after a full boost. Scald has a chance to 2HKO chansey after full boost and rain but surf can be run to guarantee it. The last slot depends on what you wanna cover. For this core psychic would probably be best as it provides good coverage and really puts a hurt on M-venusaur. You could run energy ball to take out rotom-W and bulky waters like quagsire and beat CM mega-slowbro.

This core really needs a Char X check/counter as once it has +1 it shreds this core apart. something like mandibuzz who can also double as a defogger which this team needs as well. Lando-T works well too and doubles as a rocks setter and can form a good u-turn core with victini. Klefki could work well with this team with prankster spikes and t-wave to speed control and hazard setting

Sorry for making this long.Any comments or critiques would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
You really don't need tgrd mana in that core, you already have more than enough stall breaking power;
I'd go with shadow ball + hp fire to ease serperior's time against ferro teams.

164 speed-EVs are enough for outspeeding Jolly Excadrill. You can also run a bit more speed to creep other manaphy but that's optional and you'd lose some bulk which is pretty important on Manaphy.

p2

Banned deucer.
Mega Metagross + Landorus Offensive Core

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Polish

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit
- Grass Knot / Hammer Arm / Bullet Punch / Anything

This is a really fun offensive core to use. Rock Polish Landorus is checked by the likes of Lati@s, Weavile, Torn-T etc while Pursuit Mega Metagross is capable of dealing with most of them, especially Lati@s. The core does have some trouble with things like SpD Skarmory or fat water types, which is what Metagross' last moveslot is for. Hammer Arm can eventually outslow Skarmory and 2HKO it and Grass Knot helps get more damage onto water types. However, Thunderpunch can be used as it hits the same things, I dunno, I'm still experimenting with this core.

So.... i got bored one day and decided to build around a pretty interesting take on a dfs core.

Mega diancie + Zygarde + Magnezone dfs Core

This core makes use of tect mega diancie, dd zygarde and Specs mag making for a effective as well as a unique dfs core. Simply put Mag beats mega scizor and ferrothorn for mega diancie and zygarde which they struggle with. Mag also removes fairies and some water types which also give diancie and zygarde hell. Mega diancie pretty much serves as the cleaner to take advantage of the carnage zygarde leaves behind and is your average run of the mill protect set but rock polish or calm mind also works. Zygardes the win condition for this core and its one hell of a dd user. Its bulk is comparable to that of mega garchomp but can patch up its speed thanks to dd. Also gets e-speed so even talon cant revenge it once zygardes all set up. Speaking of talon it has a hard time breaking this core as all 3 mons can check a certain variant of talon. Despite how awesome this core is there are still issues it has. For example water like siesmitoad can really trouble this core as well as mega swampert due to how they beat mag. On top of this grass types overall are huge threats as well as bulky ground types such as hippo and landot/landoi. This makes pokemon such as av torn for lando-i and grasses a great partner as it removes said types while grass types such as cele can set rocks or pass nasty plots to diancie while also beating pert and toad. Also make sure to pack a water res or 2 as stuff like rotom and keldeo annoy this core. Pretty sure zygarde can take a hit from mega gross decently well as well so thats really cool. Manaphy and sub+cm keldeo work really nice here as they can help break stall if you dont use cm mega diancie. Mega diancie can actually run any one of its sets in this core as long as you adjust the teammates.

Diamond Ice (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Brachyidios (Zygarde) @ Life Orb
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed

Spade Magnes (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Last edited:
So.... i got bored one day and decided to build around a pretty interesting take on a dfs core.

Mega diancie + Zygarde + Magnezone dfs Core

This core makes use of tect mega diancie, dd zygarde and Specs mag making for a effective as well as a unique dfs core. Simply put Mag beats mega scizor and ferrothorn for mega diancie and zygarde which they struggle with. Mag also removes fairies and some water types which also give diancie and zygarde hell. Mega diancie pretty much serves as the cleaner to take advantage of the carnage zygarde leaves behind and is your average run of the mill protect set but rock polish or calm mind also works. Zygardes the win condition for this core and its one hell of a dd user. Its bulk is comparable to that of mega garchomp but can patch up its speed thanks to dd. Also gets e-speed so even talon cant revenge it once zygardes all set up. Speaking of talon it has a hard time breaking this core as all 3 mons can check a certain variant of talon. Despite how awesome this core is there are still issues it has. For example water like siesmitoad can really trouble this core as well as mega swampert due to how they beat mag. On top of this grass types overall are huge threats as well as bulky ground types such as hippo and landot/landoi. This makes pokemon such as av torn for lando-i and grasses a great partner as it removes said types while grass types such as cele can set rocks or pass nasty plots to diancie while also beating pert and toad. Also make sure to pack a water res or 2 as stuff like rotom and keldeo annoy this core. Pretty sure zygarde can take a hit from mega gross decently well as well so thats really cool. Manaphy and sub+cm keldeo work really nice here as they can help break stall if you dont use cm mega diancie. Mega diancie can actually run any one of its sets in this core as long as you adjust the teammates.

Diamond Ice (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Brachyidios (Zygarde) @ Life Orb
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed

Spade Magnes (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Edit as a heads up mega diancies ivs are set for hp fire. just so theres no confusion
The Diancie set posted here isn't running HP Fire so there's no sense in having it's IVs.

Mega Metagross + Landorus Offensive Core

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Polish

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit
- Grass Knot / Hammer Arm / Bullet Punch / Anything

This is a really fun offensive core to use. Rock Polish Landorus is checked by the likes of Lati@s, Weavile, Torn-T etc while Pursuit Mega Metagross is capable of dealing with most of them, especially Lati@s. The core does have some trouble with things like SpD Skarmory or fat water types, which is what Metagross' last moveslot is for. Hammer Arm can eventually outslow Skarmory and 2HKO it and Grass Knot helps get more damage onto water types. However, Thunderpunch can be used as it hits the same things, I dunno, I'm still experimenting with this core.
Just want to second this and want to add that Keldeo/Manaphy are pretty great partners for these two :)

Reactions: p2
Did a quick search and didn't see this one posted, forgive me if it has.

+
+

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Manectric is a savage against offensive teams. Thanks to its wide coverage and speed, it can clean and sweep teams pretty easily. However, the omnipresent Lati@s duo often stand in its way. That's where TTar comes in. Scarf TTar comes in off the Volt Switch and effectively Pursuit traps the Latis. After that, Manectric can start racking up damage. Tyranitar can also force Heatran, another common Mane check, out with the threat of Earthquake. While the former two are most effective against offensive teams, a solid wallbreaker can really help Manectric against more defensive teams. Enter Kyurem-B. Some of Mane's hard checks include Mega Altaria and Hippowdon, both of whom happen to be Kyurem bait. Manectric also supports Kyurem as a really strong check to its Steels like Ferrothorn and Scizor. Outside of that, a solid CM Clefable check helps as the members of this core all struggle with Clef to a degree (unless you want to go Iron Head Kyu-B > Special Kyu-B).

Just wanna let you guys know that a good core doesn't have to be all about type effectiveness. Also, "w + v beats y for x" so therefore they're good together reasoning is not good for decent team building. Now onto this wonderful anti-meta core. Kyurem-B and Serperior are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as coverage and defenses but they do have one important thing in common. Both mon's aren't adequately prepared for; add that to their offensive power + potential for destruction and you've got two metagame monsters. When used together they're able to easily dismantle any type of team; offensive, stall , balance, semi-stall, it doesn't matter. The only problems these two have is common priority and Chansey along with a few bulky Steel types. But that's why you have 4 other team slots. I've used this core with two megas so far, Charizard X and Blastoise. Charizard X was used on an offensive team and Mega Blastoise was used on a balanced team. Charizard X is another mon that's unprepared for right now due to players undervaluing its usage as well as them just slapping together generic mon's ( Lando-I, Keldeo, Tyranitar, Scizor, Helmet Garchomp, -insert top 10 usage mega-). Kyurem-B and Serperior are great at luring Chansey and those Steel types that Charizard X has no problem dismantling. Rapid Spin support is definitely needed if you're going to use CharX. Blastoise just does a great job of absorbing hits and it's an extremely effective Spinner because it beats common hazard removers as well as common hazard setters. Hazard control is important for this core to perform well. Also note that you can bend the movesets to your liking depending on what type of team you want to build. For instance, Kyurem-B and Serperior struggle with Scizor, therefore you could use a defensive Will-O-Wisp CharX set or a bulky Blastoise set with a Wish passer. Or you could lure Scizor / Breloom / Ferrothorn with Serperior and use Hidden Power [Fire]. There are a lot of viable options to take advantage of.
or

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

+

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

or

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Celestial

Turn Heavenward
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey so I looked through the recent pages and haven't seen anything on this core. I'm just starting to build a team around it now, but I think it's a pretty solid core

This core should be relatively self-explanatory, but just to go into some depth, Volcarona makes for a nasty sweeper and with 184 speed, it can outspeed scarf Lando-T and knock it out with +1 fire blast OR +1 Fiery Dance with a flame plate/Life orb. Starmie spins away the rocks that annoy it as well as being able to burn switch in's and hit keldeo hard with psyshock and even azumarill with thunderbolt. Finally, Clefable takes cares of the dark types, especially tyranitar as scarf tar outspeeds even max speed timid starmie. It's also nice to have something for mega sableye as it can prove to be annoying to the other 2 pokes. Also with access to knock off and focus blast, it can help break stall. Clefable can also offer wish support if you decide to use rapid spin + 3 atk Starmie as well as giving volcarona more recovery than just the small bit it can get from giga drain on some pokes. Anyway, I'd love to know what people think!

Hey so I looked through the recent pages and haven't seen anything on this core. I'm just starting to build a team around it now, but I think it's a pretty solid core

This core should be relatively self-explanatory, but just to go into some depth, Volcarona makes for a nasty sweeper and with 184 speed, it can outspeed scarf Lando-T and knock it out with +1 fire blast OR +1 Fiery Dance with a flame plate/Life orb. Starmie spins away the rocks that annoy it as well as being able to burn switch in's and hit keldeo hard with psyshock and even azumarill with thunderbolt. Finally, Clefable takes cares of the dark types, especially tyranitar as scarf tar outspeeds even max speed timid starmie. It's also nice to have something for mega sableye as it can prove to be annoying to the other 2 pokes. Also with access to knock off and focus blast, it can help break stall. Clefable can also offer wish support if you decide to use rapid spin + 3 atk Starmie as well as giving volcarona more recovery than just the small bit it can get from giga drain on some pokes. Anyway, I'd love to know what people think!
Where da sets at though

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I'm not entirely sure where you're getting the notion that Sab gives Volc trouble, when it literally can't do anything to it and it is setup bait for Volc (calm mind maybe? Even then Volc wins cuz more power). Also, Volc has bug buzz so idk why you need something for dark types when Volc can do that too. TTar is a bit of a problem because of its bulk, sure, but Clefable would just be a supporter to Volc + Starmie rather than actually being a part of the core.

Also post sets pls like the guy above me said.

This has been one of my favorite cores since clefable got its new typing. There is not much synergy between them in terms of typing and resistances...but thats a flaw i've seen in some of these cores that are posted, people just throwing together 2-3 mons that has a resist of one another's typing and call it a core. There needs to be a desired outcome that can be achieved with which each mon playing a vital role in getting it done; Thats exactly what this pair does.

Here i propose 2 mons that work independently of one another, but greatly appreciate what the other one does prior. The "desired outcome" for this pair is to spread status (cripple offensive mons), stall break and either mid-game sweep or late game sweep... both have that potential given the match up.

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 108 HP / 148 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Taunt/Hypnosis
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Hex gengar is amazingly unprepared for as already it has very few switch ins. Any physical attacking designated switch in usually gets bopped by willo...mainly T-tar or bisharp as u can now live their pursuit. Assault vest tornadus T (one of the premier checks to gengar) is usually burned the 1st time it comes in and would have to take a 130 bp Stab hex the second time around, which in combination with rocks+burn damage, makes it no longer a check.
148 SpA Gengar Hex (130 BP) vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 144-171 (43.3 - 51.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after burn damage without rocks
Chansey is sub bait as it easily gets taunted, preventing a heal bell.

the ev spread allows gengar to set up a sub on all the tank chomp's dragon tails after burn, with a few added benefits of getting a guaranteed one up on clefable's moonblast and defensive M Venu's giga drain.

Substitute allows gengar to ease prediction and/or spread status easier, as often once you reveal hex the opp tries to limit the status spreading to that one mon. I prefer taunt, but hypnosis is such a troll move...obviously only to be used if you are safely behind a sub or as a last resort as the accuracy is a let down. putting something to sleep can take you out of a tight spot or change momentum of a game, as unlike loom or amoongus, they wont expect. Hex has the same base power as draco meteor vs a status opp without the drawbacks of - spatk and acc, and ONLY 15 bp lower than shadow ball without status.Hex vs gliscor is lovely as getting rid of glis is great for clefable!
Solid mon, and although frail, this gengar usually outlives a lot of bulky mons.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Calm mind clefable, such innovation. There is a reason why clefable is S rank...although you shouldnt pay attention to viability rankings, lol. Clefable is there to spread status on things that dont switch in on gengar as each has their own different checks. It is primarily good at catching mons like heatran, skarmory, talonflame, gengar switch ins and a plethora of other mons with twave, that aren't threaten immediately by Clef. Although it cant be statused by this pair, clef also check sableye.

It's main goal is to probe opps team with status till it spots a chance to set up.Burned mons from gengar makes clef no longer fear bisharp/scizor and other heavy hitters, essentially making them fodders. Not much to say about this clef, it absorbs status, spread status and lurk till it finds a chance to set up.

*Noteworthy*
Good teammates for this core are bulky rocks setters, like toxic tank chomp or toxic sp def excadrill, hippo... and abusers of the status like sub sweepers or Jirachi.

This has been one of my favorite cores since clefable got its new typing. There is not much synergy between them in terms of typing and resistances...but thats a flaw i've seen in some of these cores that are posted, people just throwing together 2-3 mons that has a resist of one another's typing and call it a core. There needs to be a desired outcome that can be achieved with which each mon playing a vital role in getting it done; Thats exactly what this pair does.

Here i propose 2 mons that work independently of one another, but greatly appreciate what the other one does prior. The "desired outcome" for this pair is to spread status (cripple offensive mons), stall break and either mid-game sweep or late game sweep... both have that potential given the match up.

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 108 HP / 148 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Taunt/Hypnosis
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Hex gengar is amazingly unprepared for as already it has very few switch ins. Any physical attacking designated switch in usually gets bopped by willo...mainly T-tar or bisharp as u can now live their pursuit. Assault vest tornadus T (one of the premier checks to gengar) is usually burned the 1st time it comes in and would have to take a 130 bp Stab hex the second time around, which in combination with rocks+burn damage, makes it no longer a check.
148 SpA Gengar Hex (130 BP) vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 144-171 (43.3 - 51.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after burn damage without rocks
Chansey is sub bait as it easily gets taunted, preventing a heal bell.

the ev spread allows gengar to set up a sub on all the tank chomp's dragon tails after burn, with a few added benefits of getting a guaranteed one up on clefable's moonblast and defensive M Venu's giga drain.

Substitute allows gengar to ease prediction and/or spread status easier, as often once you reveal hex the opp tries to limit the status spreading to that one mon. I prefer taunt, but hypnosis is such a troll move...obviously only to be used if you are safely behind a sub or as a last resort as the accuracy is a let down. putting something to sleep can take you out of a tight spot or change momentum of a game, as unlike loom or amoongus, they wont expect. Hex has the same base power as draco meteor vs a status opp without the drawbacks of - spatk and acc, and ONLY 15 bp lower than shadow ball without status.Hex vs gliscor is lovely as getting rid of glis is great for clefable!
Solid mon, and although frail, this gengar usually outlives a lot of bulky mons.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Calm mind clefable, such innovation. There is a reason why clefable is S rank...although you shouldnt pay attention to viability rankings, lol. Clefable is there to spread status on things that dont switch in on gengar as each has their own different checks. It is primarily good at catching mons like heatran, skarmory, talonflame, gengar switch ins and a plethora of other mons with twave, that aren't threaten immediately by Clef. Although it cant be statused by this pair, clef also check sableye.

It's main goal is to probe opps team with status till it spots a chance to set up.Burned mons from gengar makes clef no longer fear bisharp/scizor and other heavy hitters, essentially making them fodders. Not much to say about this clef, it absorbs status, spread status and lurk till it finds a chance to set up.

*Noteworthy*
Good teammates for this core are bulky rocks setters, like toxic tank chomp or toxic sp def excadrill, hippo... and abusers of the status like sub sweepers or Jirachi.
Nb at all alby

Physical Zoroark + Toxicroak

So, i think this core is very interesting for obvious reasons. With him you can for example put Zoroark (as Toxicroak) in front of Psychic mons, setup Swords Dance, and even stay with your Focus Sash intact in the process, after then, sweep a lot with Sucker Punch/Knock Off and Return. Returns is a little bit weird, but it have a decente 102 base power, and gives nice neutral damage on a lot of things, is a nice coverage option since u gonna hit hard anyway with Swords Dance and an Adamant Nature.

Zoroark (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Illusion
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Return

Sadly, this set fails miserably versus Ttars, Bisharps and bulky Fairies, and that's where Toxicroak enters!

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

With 2 excellent coverages to hit Fairy types and Dark Types, Toxicroak also brings one more priority to the core. These 2 guys working together are able to murder silently a lot of things, since most of the players underestimate Zoroark's ability, and this core takes advantage of it extremely well.

Threats

Klefki is very hard to deal with since the only thing that can kill him is Toxicroak's boosted Drain Punch, but anyway, Klefki can T-wave and just disenable both Toxi and Zoro.

Physical Zoroark + Toxicroak

So, i think this core is very interesting for obvious reasons. With him you can for example put Zoroark (as Toxicroak) in front of Psychic mons, setup Swords Dance, and even stay with your Focus Sash intact in the process, after then, sweep a lot with Sucker Punch/Knock Off and Return. Returns is a little bit weird, but it have a decente 102 base power, and gives nice neutral damage on a lot of things, is a nice coverage option since u gonna hit hard anyway with Swords Dance and an Adamant Nature.

Zoroark (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Illusion
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Return

Sadly, this set fails miserably versus Ttars, Bisharps and bulky Fairies, and that's where Toxicroak enters!

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

With 2 excellent coverages to hit Fairy types and Dark Types, Toxicroak also brings one more priority to the core. These 2 guys working together are able to murder silently a lot of things, since most of the players underestimate Zoroark's ability, and this core takes advantage of it extremely well.

Threats

Klefki is very hard to deal with since the only thing that can kill him is Toxicroak's boosted Drain Punch, but anyway, Klefki can T-wave and just disenable both Toxi and Zoro.
why not run low kick on zoroark? it allows it to get past dark types and deal big damage to ferro while having the awesome dark fighting coverage. Also is zoroark being used solely for taste as I am confused to why bisharp wouldn't be a better choice for being paired with toxicroak, having more power, more utility, and better coverage. This is all without mentioning that 105 base speed isn't significant in OU as it only allows you to out speed zards and garde both of which knock off doesn't get the boost so sucker punch is being relied on there. I can understand the concept but it just feels way to gimmicky to me, and without a boosting item zoroark can be very underwhelming but with one he cant take a hit.

why not run low kick on zoroark? it allows it to get past dark types and deal big damage to ferro while having the awesome dark fighting coverage. Also is zoroark being used solely for taste as I am confused to why bisharp wouldn't be a better choice for being paired with toxicroak, having more power, more utility, and better coverage. This is all without mentioning that 105 base speed isn't significant in OU as it only allows you to out speed zards and garde both of which knock off doesn't get the boost so sucker punch is being relied on there. I can understand the concept but it just feels way to gimmicky to me, and without a boosting item zoroark can be very underwhelming but with one he cant take a hit.
Low Kick is interesting, but Return is a better choice to hit Mega Evos like Zards on the switch more safely, so i prefer to just give the job of hiting Ferro and Dark Types to Toxi. 105 Speed honestly is not a big problem since i've Stab Sucker Punch (and i'm using Adamant Nature), that even without a boosting item, it OHKO Zard Y when +2. Yeah, Bisharp is good, but it honestly don't fit in the same way than Zoroark on this core. (also EQ would slay it)

Return can actually do something to fairies - that's the main reason I've heard (At least from Adamant Zoroark's RMT).

Edit: 'Ninja'd, went off to do something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)