Creative Sets in Doubles OU

Tornadus @ Electric Seed / Psychic Seed
Ability: Prankster / Defiant
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Bulk Up (/ Taunt / Tailwind / Rain Dance / Knock Off)
- Protect

One of my favorites mons to use right now. Its Terrain Seeds are immediately consumable, allowing it to boost its DEF by 1 stage and double the power of its STAB move, Acrobatics. And by using its (priority) setup move, Bulk Up, it doubles its DEF for a total of 301-362 HP / 352 DEF, which is pretty bulky. Bulk Up also boosts its ATK, which with the addition of its ability, Defiant, can bring terrifying damage onto opponents. Depending on the team, Taunt, TW, Rain Dance, or even Knock Off can be used instead of Bulk Up. In my opinion, terrains really helped Tornadus come back into the metagame, although not as effective as the flying gem.

Lolk

can't you see i'm busy?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Aromatisse @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Helping Hand
- Sunny Day

Not really creative but Aromatisse is an obscure choice in the meta and I think it does a great job as a Full TR setter. It beats common anti-tr measures like Marshadow and Taunt Tapus without having to sacrifice longevity and hold mental herb. It's a great partner for Tran/Zard/Camel because it can set Sun to win weather wars and Helping Hand boost Heat Waves. Moonblast 2HKOs everything it should so it's not like it's completely passive.

Memoric

o ⌣ o
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Doubles Guardian
This Zygarde set is pretty wavy

Zygarde @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 132 Def / 84 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Thousand Waves
- Haze
- Protect

Trapper Zygarde! I've used this in various test games and in Snake vs miltankmilk and it does a good job of picking off targets and doing the job it needs to do. Trapping has the potential to be pretty good, and it's even better when not seen coming as it can screw with game plans (the fact that this set is being shared is beside the point). This set only really has to hit a target with TWaves once, and then it can just do whatever as the foe is trapped as long as Zyg stays on the field. It's recommended to use this with boosters or strong attackers with solid coverage as one usually does with Mega Gengar in order to take full advantage of a given position; I used AV Gene, DD Gyara, DD Tyranitar, and Tapu Koko on the team I tried this with.

In addition, Zygarde, when invested and holding a pinch berry, is pretty hard to take down, and it still has Thousand Arrows which can touch pretty much the entire metagame, letting it get chip on the things it traps and making it at least a decent offensive threat. Foes also can't set up on it much as it also packs Haze.

The spread given lives Life Orb Moonblast from Tapu Lele and Ice Punch from Mega Metagross.

I don't know if I can top Z Bestow Blissey, but:

Kyurem-Black @ Misty Seed
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 56 Def / 68 SpA / 80 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Icy Wind
- Roost

Tanks stuff like AV Kyube, recovery stalls like Zapdos, and Earth Power is pretty disposable on a bolt-beam mon now that Heatran is less common. Marshadow, Scizor and Metagross force it out, so try to deal with those before activating Kyurem-B's seed.

You can also drop either Ice Beam or Icy Wind for Protect, Earth Power or HP Fire, depending on the needs of your team.

Pigeons

formerly Yuga42

Ludicolo @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam / Fake Out
- Focus Blast

Neat set I came up with to use against SableyeMyBae for DLT playoffs, didn't get to showcase it much so I'll post it here. The idea is that Z-Focus Blast Ludicolo lures in conventional rain checks like Ferrothorn or AV Kyurem-B and can either KO them or weaken them enough that another rain sweeper can power through. I paired this with MGar but I think it'd be much stronger paired with MSwampert, which takes advantage of those Pokemon being weakened while also being able to beat Volcanion. It is annoying that running this set forces Ludicolo to choose between having Fake Out or Ice Beam, but the luring potential this set brings can be pretty cool. I used Politoed as the rain setter with this because Helping Hand ensures the 1hko vs Ferro and brings Kyub down to 25% but it could also work with an offensive Pelipper.

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

This is my favorite Lando set rn. It's a good lead to get rocks :up:, but also works as a great pivot. Shoutouts GenOne for convincing me that special Lando is the call rn. Between Intimidate and spread reduction, Earth Power often hits harder than Earthquake, notably allowing you to OHKO Shuca Stakataka. HP Ice rounds out Landorus's coverage, letting it beat opposing Landorus and Salamence. I like to run Protect, but you can also use a number of other options such as Knock Off, U-turn, etc. Groundium Z is so you actually hit hard.

Calcs:

0+ SpA Landorus-Therian Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Shuca Berry Stakataka: 426-504 (130.6 - 154.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0+ SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 240-284 (75.2 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0+ SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Salamence-Mega: 196-232 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

-1 60 Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Landorus-Therian: 160-190 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

In an effort to bring this thread back to life, I've taken ownership of this thread and went ahead to update the Creative Sets Hall of Fame to include all the most recent entries! It's also now sorted reverse chronologically, so the freshest sets will always be at the top.

If I missed any that you think deserve to be there, let me know!

Last edited:

Tapu Bulu @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave / Adamant Nature
(optional) IVs: 11 Spe
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge / Superpower
- Sunny Day
- Synthesis

I designed this mainly to support my Camel TR teams but it's also just an overall great set if you're using Bulu as a rain check. Sunny Day reverses opposing weather, powers up Camerupt's Fire moves (if that's what you're pairing this with), and makes Synthesis a worthwhile move to run.

11 Spe IVs under TR lets Hoopa break Protect for you. If you don't have Hoopa, just run 0 Spe.