Metagame EFFECTIVE Creative / Underrated sets - NO BAD GIMMICKS, THEY WILL BE DELETED

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Partially due to time but more to do with that i will believe this will be better, I am going to change how this is done. No more archieve and judging from a supreme overlord, instead this will be more of a discussion (hopefully).

karla Schnikov I really like that set. In the change to X and Y driftblim got a whole lot worse thanks to the lack of gems, this leaves us mainly with the p bad endure set, and after trying driftblim a lot, i feel that this is the best, and possibly the only viable set. Special ghosts are pretty nice in this meta (see: np missy), and i like the way that set can take advantage of common walls as you mentioned.
I also enjoyed using Calm Mind Drifblm, although it isn't easy to set up. I think HP fighting is a good option to be considered over thunderbolt because it hits normal types except dodrio harder, while thunderbolt only beats water types which drifblim already sets up all over anyway.

Have you tried Substitute-Disable Drifblim with sitrus berry and acrobatics? It's pretty decent, I have swept a few good teams with it. The main advantages it has over Haunter is that it can actually substitute on resisted attacks, not just immunities, and of course Unburden.

Quilladin @ Focus Sash
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Wood Hammer
- Endeavor

Ended up discovering this set when using Spikes offense in this tier. Things like Dwebble and Whirlipede are absolute momentum suck and Glalie kept dieing to Rock Blasts. So I discovered this set that not only has a good lead matchup but ability to taunt opposing rockers, defoggers and the ability to Endeavor a troublesome threat.

Probopass @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Taunt

GasQuake can preach for the viability of this thing.
Basically, this is lead Probopass. With max speed+Jolly nature, it can outspeed Adamant Golem and Taunt it, preventing hazards. It can Magic Coat opposing Taunts or Stealth Rock, and when at below 25%, it can fire off a strong Explosion, preventing hazard removal and putting a decent dent into anything that doesn't resist it.

Why I have not posted this set yet, I do not know.
Barbaracle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Stone Edge
- Razor Shell
- Aerial Ace / Superpower

This thing. While a pokemon shouldn't be valued merely by the surprise factor involved in a creative/underrated set, this thing only benefits mroe from it. It is great at removing Fire-types or Pokemon that assume they are safe such as Jumpluff. Not to mention that it already has a good attack stat, but Tough Claws is a nice addition for a Scarfer. Sure, Stone Edge doesn't make contact, but it still does damage. It can also cripple a variety of mons by Switching them a scarf. It outspeeds Sneasel, who thinks it will be safe to set up swords dances and sweep. It namely cripples mons like Throh, where even though Barb may die to Throh (it isn't OHKO'd though), it can cripple the slow Fighting type who generally abuses changing up it's moves for recovery and coverage, to stick to a highly counter-able move. Aerial Ace is used to finish mons off like Poli or to finish Grass types off (like Pluff) without risking Stone Miss. Superpower is for a big damage attack in case you have nothing else you want to risk using on a predicted switch or again for a reliable accuracy kill move. It also forces a lot of switches or forces people to stay in due to people assuming a SS and will try not to let you set up.
It's a great mon.
GasQuake can confirm.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Future Sight
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast / Encore
- Healing Wish

This is the only Mr. Mime set I use now, and you all definitely should try it out. Future Sight is really amazing as it is a 120 bp Psychic-type move that hits 2 turns later. This makes an amazing pairing with mons like Sneasel, Pawniard, Rapidash, Armaldo, etc etc because you can easily scare out mons like Poliwrath and Throh with the threat of Dazzling Gleam, use Future Sight, and then come in on your Sneasel and their Poliwrath cannot switch in because Future Sight will bop them. Future Sight is powerful enough to do wonderful things (Psychic's base power is changed to 120 in these calcs):
252 SpA Life Orb Mr. Mime Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Carracosta: 300-355 (85.2 - 100.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Mr. Mime Psychic vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper: 282-333 (87.3 - 103%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Mr. Mime Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Throh: 343-406 (77.2 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Mr. Mime Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Torterra: 243-289 (61.6 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Mr. Mime Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 164-192 (50.6 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You bop anything that comes in on your teammate to try and "counter" it, wearing them down immensly. If you're using the right teammates, they won't be able to switch in their Future Sight sponge either, because Psychic-types get bopped by Sneasel, Steels get bopped by Rapidash, etc.

After Mr. Mime is done with all that you can just Healing Wish to heal up a mon, which makes Mime's teammates 10x more broken

Really good mon right now please use it! Here's a replay in action vs gasquake for botw: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-217853198

Throh @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 32 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Circle Throw
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

I also really love this Throh set on offensive teams. CB Throh hits like a massive truck and its coverage is great; nothing much can switch in. It doesn't really mind getting Knocked Off either because it still boasts good power and speed and Knock Off mons are just free hits for Throh. Circle Throw is one of the most useful moves imo. It forces opponents to take extra SR damage and keeps phazing them out wearing them down a lot. Most ghosts also lose to Throh which is great. Stone Edge is the move I use to hit all Flying-types, it has a good chance to OHKO Pelipper after rocks and 2HKOs Togetic.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
557.gif

Dwebble @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Counter

I was told to give this more life, so this is a nifty set I've been running recently. Knock off is still really nice for some things, but counter allows dwebble to bop something if you want and still be able to go for custap rocks. It also beats non rock blast golem 1v1 assuming both go for rocks, which is useful, and gives dwebble utility if you can preserve sturdy late game. It's no acro solrock, but definitely can give you an early advantage.

I like these kind of threats so i might as well post something i like running with some sort of wish passer, probably Lickilicky. (sorry if classified as "shitty gimmick"

Snubbull @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Roar

i know its defenses arent great at 60/50/40
but a decent movepool access to Heal bell, taunt, Twave/Toxic.. i run the set above to hit an incoming steel type.. bastiodon or probo.. (80base Attack) Sorry if falls under shitty gimmick. And probably out classed by Togetic in a lot of ways..

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunder Wave

Ok so this has a ton of utility against offense as STAB Sucker Punch + Prankster Thunder Wave means you can stop basically any sweeper, and its decent Speed tier means that it doesn't rely on Sucker to be that useful against offense. HP Grass is really cool for bopping Golem & friends, but HP Fighting is also a decent option. Other than having tons of utility, it also hits pretty hard:

252 Atk Life Orb Murkrow Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 187-220 (64.2 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Murkrow Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regice: 191-226 (63.4 - 75%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Murkrow Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 192-227 (73.5 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb Murkrow Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Golem: 281-333 (93.3 - 110.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

LO Murkrow's main downsides are that it gets worn down sickeningly fast by Stealth Rock and recoil and that it is so frail that it's 4HKOed by Armaldo's Rapid Spin, but other than that it's a really fun mon to use and a pretty good one as well.

Purugly @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Wake-Up Slap
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

Purugly is a pretty underused Pokemon right now, thanks to its place on hazard stacking teams being token from it by Pawniard. However, Purugly is still a decent enough Pokemon, having a great speed tier, priority, and some other things. However, Pawniard isn't the only thing that screwed it over, Probopass absolutely walls most sets of Purugly's, but no longer with Wake-Up Slap. Being able to OHKO Pawniard and 2HKO Probopass, these two check Purugly otherwise. Though Purugly is still pretty weak unboosted, it is still pretty impressive with +2, and can catch people off guard nowadays.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Roar / Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Specially defensive Zweilous is one hell of an underrated set. It's by far the best Ninetales counter out there, which is huge, and is not exactly useless outside of that either as it also counters Zebstrika, Rapidash, Haunter, and Misdreavus, among others. The biggest downside is that Hustle can make Zweilous miss, which is very frustrating if you really needed to land a Crunch or something.

+2 252 SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Zweilous: 78-93 (22.4 - 26.8%) -- 28.3% chance to 4HKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Zweilous: 101-121 (29.1 - 34.8%) -- 8.8% chance to 3HKO

0 Atk Hustle Zweilous Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 144-169 (50.1 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Btw Anty you should probably remove Kecleon from the archive. ;o

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
forgot to post some shit in my post in the NP thread, so might as well post here:

Wonderland (Illumise) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Encore
- Bug Buzz
Since the INNOVATOR OF PU is no longer around, i feel the need to try to INNOVATE, and since the metagame is becoming a bit of a standstill, using non-standard stuff that works in this metagame is quite fun. This set is quite obvious as to what it does, ie you come in on a bulky poke/hazard thing, encore them (or predict their encore predict ;o), then sub and BP on the switch depending on what the opposing team brings in. It works great with set up sweepers that cannot afford to drop a coverage move, and my favourite partners are np chu, which forces out flying types, and ss costa, who resists flying/fire and beats rocks. Encore is also very helpful to stop sweepers, while bug buzz provides some offensive presence (why this is better than volbeat) and twave can be used but taunt is an issue.

Another set i have been enjoying but havent finalised; offensive gourgeist. It is like dusknoir with a secondary typing so trickband could work, or possibly bait sets with fire blast to lure things like tangela in.

GrimoireGod that set is really nice, but i have been finding adamant nature (with dtail) nice for crunch to be a lot stronger, and i personally use twave over sleep talk (often paired with a heal bell user) to be annoying + parashuffle is nice

Here's a fun post-sneasel set:

Vanilluxe @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely / Hasty Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Ground / Explosion

Vanilluxe is a mon with an actual solid baseline of stats that's screwed over by a combination of typing and movepool. What people tend to miss is that it has a very respectable base 95 attack- the same as sneasel - and access to STAB physical priority. This distinguishes it from Regice along with its access to freeze dry, which hits water type switchins really fucking hard even off its uninvested 110 base special attack. It also sits at a decent speed tier of 79 compared to the other offensive ice types in the tier.

The last slot is basically choosing what walls you, and the cute iced dessert's awful movepool comes back to haunt it. Flash cannon 2hkos both piloswine and avalugg after rocks, while hp fighting still hits them for decent damage but also hits Probopass and general steels, while hp ground hits steels again but also deals with fire type switch ins. Explosion is a fun option that 1hkos all of Regice, Flareon, Ninetails, Lapras, Walrein, Grumpig and Lickilicky after rocks, with the obvious sacrifice of your frosty life- might be nice to clear the way for a sweeper like rock polish aurorus.

Icicle plate is another option in terms of items but the power of your coverage slot takes a significant hit.

Flareon : 252+ Atk Life Orb Vanilluxe Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flareon: 105-129 (38.7 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Ez 2hko

Ninetails : 252+ Atk Life Orb Vanilluxe Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 90-105 (31.3 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Can only switch in once after rocks before being finished off by an Ice Shard.

Carracosta :4 SpA Life Orb Vanilluxe Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 228-269 (64.7 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
nope

Poliwrath : 4 SpA Life Orb Vanilluxe Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Poliwrath: 234-276 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
nope v2

Leafeon : 252+ Atk Life Orb Vanilluxe Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Leafeon: 120-143 (44.2 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Pretty nice considering that 65/130 bulk

cba with any more but ye it's pretty strong and can take a hit back in most cases

Fritzel (Flareon) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Quick Attack

This set has brilliant wallbreaking potential, plus the ability to hurt everything in the tier. Flare Blitz hits insanely hard due to a heavy base power, Facade gets to hit very hard, Quick Attack is priority and Superpower means that it can hit most things in the teir for at least a 2HKO, and if you switch it in correctly, you can get massive damage off on whatever the opponent has to switch in, and you get a fair chance to 2HKO many defensive mons, plus a pretty much free KO on special walls and frail attackers. It might go down quickly, but it can often bring something down with it.

Politoed @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Icy Wind/Focus blast
- Ice Beam
- Scald/Hydro Pump
- Psychic

The 104 speed allows this poke to outspeed poliwrath, roselia, & golem. If you can get off an icy wind on an incoming switch, it can outspeed base 86 speed pokes. The 152 EVs allow it to live a lot of hits. 252+ SpA Choice Specs Aurorus Freeze-Dry vs. 152 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Politoed: 210-248 (58.4 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO ,
252+ SpA Choice Specs Poliwrath Focus Blast vs. 152 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Politoed: 144-169 (40.1 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO ,
252+ SpA Life Orb Heatmor Giga Drain vs. 152 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Politoed: 135-161 (37.6 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO .
252+ SpA Roselia Giga Drain vs. 152 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Politoed: 152-180 (42.3 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO ,
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Energy Ball vs. 152 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Politoed: 250-294 (69.6 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It can do some nice damage to a lot of pokes with hydro pump or get off that burn if ya need it with scald. Raichu, Zebstrika, Avalugg, Ursaring, Mr.Mime, or Gourgeist are great team mates for Politoed. Roselia has good synergy with politoed (thanks Deej Dy for this analysis) since rose can take grass/electric hits for it & set up hazards while toed can take ice/fire hits for it. Something that Detect Marowak brought to my attention is Hidden Power Electric can be used against Pelipper so as to not be used as a pivot point. Or, you can run Hidden Power Grass for Carracost, so you're not set-up bait for it. You can run them over Icy Wind/Focus Blast. What I've realized is that if you want to take to take special hits even better with this poke, run the 152 EVs in Special Defense instead of HP.

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear / Toxic / Freeze-Dry

I don't really know if this is THAT creative, but I feel like it's actually good, so I'm going to post it once for all!!
I basically used this spread of Piloswine for like ever, I mean I probably got introduced to it casually as I didn't know the meta enough, but since that time, this spread didn't let me down once, especially on more offensive teams, where I didn't really feel the loss of HP, while investment in Speed allow Piloswine to outspeed important Pokemon such as defensive Roselia, outspeed Grumpig without investment, speed tie with Regice without investment and boosts, outspeed bulky Poliwrath, outspeed Pelipper, which makes Piloswine a decent user of Freeze Dry too, and a lot others.

This is a cool set that I have been using lately that is basically like a weaker Chatot, however has the special bulk to check things like non-LO Haunter, Poliwrath and offensive Roselia (this thing has been a pain in the ass lately).

Noctowl @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Shadow Ball / Heat Wave
- Roost

Basically Noctowl as mentioned above is a weaker Chatot, however has existent bulk so that it can use roost without getting bopped unlike annoying parrots (amirite). It also has a cool ability in Tinted Lens, which allows it to surprise some mons like Pawniard, Golem, and Carracosta, when you nail them with Hyper Voice. Air Slash is ran so that you can hit Haunter, as well as hitting Poliwrath and Roselia hard. Hidden Power Fighting hits the obvious Probopass switchins, while Shadow Ball can be used to hit Misdreavus hard, having a high chance of 2hko'ing after rocks, guaranteed against offensive Missy. Heat Wave can be ran to 0hko Rotom-F after rocks, while 2hko'ing RP Regice after rocks. Roost is obligatory so that you can check Poliwrath, non-LO Haunter, etc., throughout the match and gives Noctowl much needed staying power. 64 spe ev's (with HP Fighting IV's) outspeeds 56 spe Poliwrath and everything under, while the rest is dumped in HP. More speed ev's can be run, such as 96 to outrun max spe Modest Regice. Defog can probably be run on this set as well, but Noctowl really enjoys the coverage in Shadow Ball, HP Fighting, or Heat Wave. Tailwind can turn Noctowl into a huge threat to offense, as Noctowl's dual stabs hit suprisingly hard and outspeeds Zebstrika after a tailwind.
252+ SpA Life Orb Tinted Lens Noctowl Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 198-234 (85.7 - 101.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (lol)

252+ SpA Life Orb Noctowl Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 135-164 (44.4 - 53.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Noctowl Hidden Power Fighting vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Probopass: 187-224 (61.5 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Noctowl Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 135-161 (41.6 - 49.6%) -- 85.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Noctowl Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-F: 198-234 (82.1 - 97%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Noctowl Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 114-135 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Piloswine, one of Noctowl's bigger obstacles, can be worn down with Stealth Rock and Spikes to the point of being 2hko'd, as this particular Noctowl is great with hazard-stacking teams.
252+ SpA Poliwrath Ice Beam vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Noctowl: 148-176 (38 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Tangela Hidden Power Ice vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Noctowl: 124-148 (31.8 - 38%) -- 93.8% chance to 3HKO

252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Noctowl: 139-165 (35.7 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Haunter Sludge Bomb vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Noctowl: 141-166 (36.2 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Misdreavus Thunderbolt vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Noctowl: 168-198 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO
Props to Detective Marowak, he used this in XY

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Bibarel @ Expert Belt / Rindo Berry / Wacan Berry (God Berry)
Ability: Simple
EVs: 204 Atk / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Work Up
- Quick Attack
- Grass Knot / Surf
(Grass Knot/Beam struggles against Fire Types and Steel Types (Klang), Surf/Beam loses to Poli. Configure to your team depending on what else you have)

(52 Speed EV's allows it to outspeed 56 Speed, non rain Poliwrath)

This set is a pretty solid lure and late game sweeper which is actually pretty threatening for a Pokemon with 55 Base SpA. I originally built this set upon luring in and beating Pokemon like Gourgeist with it's unexpected Special moves instead of a basic Curse set. Grass Knot does Massive Damage to Pokemon like Poliwrath and other bulky annoyances. Ice Beam does well against Grass Types and Pokemon like Pelipper. Quick Attack is basic priority and cleaner move which can still deal heavy damage. This Set does lose out in the bulk that curse gives, but it has merit in the ability to take a burn with small consequence and take on pokemon that the Curse Set notmally couldn't. All in All, Mixed Work Up Bibarel has the ability to be a surprising lure as well as a dangerous and unexpected late game sweeper.

(shoutouts to Zard for some help)

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Bibarel @ Expert Belt / Rindo Berry
Ability: Simple
EVs: 204 Atk / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Work Up
- Quick Attack
- Grass Knot / Surf
(Grass Knot/Beam struggles against Fire Types, Surf/Beam loses to Poli. Configure to your team depending on what else you have)

(52 Speed EV's allows it to outspeed 56 Speed, non rain Poliwrath)

This set is a pretty solid lure and late game sweeper which is actually pretty threatening for a Pokemon with 55 Base SpA. I originally built this set upon luring in and beating Pokemon like Gourgeist with it's unexpected Special moves instead of a basic Curse set. Grass Knot does Massive Damage to Pokemon like Poliwrath and other bulky annoyances. Ice Beam does well against Grass Types and Pokemon like Pelipper. Quick Attack is basic priority and cleaner move which can still deal heavy damage. This Set does lose out in the bulk that curse gives, but it has merit in the ability to take a burn with small consequence and take on pokemon that the Curse Set notmally couldn't. All in All, Mixed Work Up Bibarel has the ability to be a surprising lure as well as a dangerous and unexpected late game sweeper.

(shoutouts to Zard for some help)
I'd slash wacan (the god item) on the set (rindo never did shit for me), and also mention that without surf you lose to Klang. But yeah, this is surprisingly cool

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I was stupid and posted this in the wrong thread, so here is the post in the right thread.

This is a cool set that I have been using lately that is basically like a weaker Chatot, however has the special bulk to check things like non-LO Haunter, Poliwrath and offensive Roselia (this thing has been a pain in the ass lately).

Noctowl @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Shadow Ball / Heat Wave
- Roost

Basically Noctowl as mentioned above is a weaker Chatot, however has existent bulk so that it can use roost without getting bopped unlike annoying parrots (amirite). It also has a cool ability in Tinted Lens, which allows it to surprise some mons like Pawniard, Golem, and Carracosta, when you nail them with Hyper Voice. Air Slash is ran so that you can hit Haunter, as well as hitting Poliwrath and Roselia hard. Hidden Power Fighting hits the obvious Probopass switchins, while Shadow Ball can be used to hit Misdreavus hard, having a high chance of 2hko'ing after rocks, guaranteed against offensive Missy. Heat Wave can be ran to 0hko Rotom-F after rocks, while 2hko'ing RP Regice after rocks. Roost is obligatory so that you can check Poliwrath, non-LO Haunter, etc., throughout the match and gives Noctowl much needed staying power. 64 spe ev's (with HP Fighting IV's) outspeeds 56 spe Poliwrath and everything under, while the rest is dumped in HP where you conveniently reach a LO number. More speed ev's can be run, such as 96 to outrun max spe Modest Regice. Defog can probably be run on this set as well, but Noctowl really enjoys the coverage in Shadow Ball, HP Fighting, or Heat Wave. Work Up seems like a pretty cool option to be able to break through things like Lickilicky, Grumpig and Hypno, but that's better suited for annoying parrots.
252+ SpA Life Orb Tinted Lens Noctowl Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 198-234 (85.7 - 101.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (lol)

252+ SpA Life Orb Noctowl Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 135-164 (44.4 - 53.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Noctowl Hidden Power Fighting vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Probopass: 187-224 (61.5 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Noctowl Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 135-161 (41.6 - 49.6%) -- 85.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Noctowl Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-F: 198-234 (82.1 - 97%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Noctowl Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 114-135 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Piloswine, one of Noctowl's bigger obstacles, can be worn down with Stealth Rock and Spikes to the point of being 2hko'd, as this particular Noctowl is great with hazard-stacking teams.
252+ SpA Poliwrath Ice Beam vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Noctowl: 148-176 (38 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Tangela Hidden Power Ice vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Noctowl: 124-148 (31.8 - 38%) -- 93.8% chance to 3HKO

252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Noctowl: 139-165 (35.7 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Haunter Sludge Bomb vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Noctowl: 141-166 (36.2 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Misdreavus Thunderbolt vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Noctowl: 168-198 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO
Hey, lucas hobbs, I was testing out that Noctowl and had some pretty decent success with Tailwind (over a coverage move, since Hyper Voice 2HKOs a lot anyway). Given it's at 192 Spe right now with that current EV spread, one Tailwind bumps it up to 384 Speed total, which outspeeds every unboosted mon in PU, save Ninjask and Electrode.

Some things that help that Noctowl: Defog or Rapid Spin support; Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes (with SR + 1 layer of Spikes after a Tailwind, Hyper Voice outspeeds and OHKOs Zeb lol); support for keeping up these hazards like Taunt, Defiant, and a spin blocker; strong Ground type hitters or a slightly faster Magnet Pull to trap other Probopass that would wall Noctowl otherwise; some sort of Ghost killer or Pursuit trapper if Noctowl is not using Shadow Ball.

Last edited:
Hey, lucas hobbs, I was testing out that Noctowl and had some pretty decent success with Tailwind (over a coverage move, since Hyper Voice 2HKOs a lot anyway). Given it's at 192 Spe right now with that current EV spread, one Tailwind bumps it up to 384 Speed total, which outspeeds every unboosted mon in PU, save Ninjask and Electrode.

Some things that help that Noctowl: Defog or Rapid Spin support; Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes (with SR + 1 layer of Spikes after a Tailwind, Hyper Voice outspeeds and OHKOs Zeb lol); support for keeping up these hazards like Taunt, Defiant, and a spin blocker; strong Ground type hitters or a slightly faster Magnet Pull to trap other Probopass that would wall Noctowl otherwise; some sort of Ghost killer or Pursuit trapper if Noctowl is not using Shadow Ball.
Ok I will mention Tailwind in the 3rd slot, given that Noctowl does hit surprisingly hard, and it could probably break offense very well with Tailwind up. And yea I mentioned that Noctowl enjoys hazard-stack in the offensive calcs, and will mention teammates like Misdreavus that can taunt or threaten out defoggers, while Probopass can eliminate opposing Probos and switch into things like Murkrow. Noctowl+Missy+Probo/Pilo/Torterra is really good.

Last edited:

Lickilicky @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Hammer Arm
- Knock Off
- Power Whip

This is a cool set that I run on teams that appreciate having a bulky offensive lure. This helps Licky not be so passive while also getting rid of some key threats. I usually find myself switching this in on something that hits weak and as they switch to Pawniard, Probopass, Carracosta, or Barbaracle that expect to get a free set up then nail them with the appropriate coverage move. I prefer Hammer Arm over the common Earthquake because it takes care of Pawniard in one blow and also beats Air Balloon Probopass. Leftovers is usually better than Lum Berry because when people see Lum they know you are offensive. However it's easy to status Lickilicky being so slow so Lum has its uses, tailor it to your team's needs. To take full advantage of this set use Hammer Arm and Power Whip sparingly to then catch them on the obvious switch in. Also to take full advantage of this set its nice to make some hard reads before you take a hit and catch them switching in.

252+ Atk Lickilicky Power Whip vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 226-266 (60.9 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Lickilicky Hammer Arm vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 264-312 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Lickilicky Hammer Arm vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 320-380 (138.5 - 164.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Lickilicky Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 255-300 (87.9 - 103.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Jumpluff
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance / Encore / U-turn
- Sleep Powder
- Seed Bomb

Substitute is not really a popular move in PU at the moment since Substitute + Focus Punch Poliwrath is nonexistent and stuff like Simipour prefers to be wallbreaking instead of using Substitute + Nasty Plot nowadays.
Chlorophyll instead makes Jumpluff a ridicolously good check to Sunny Day teams who just crumble to Acrobatics from this since all sweepers are weak to this and if you play smartly against Thunder Wave Volbeat you pretty much get a guaranteed win.

Lickilicky @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Hammer Arm
- Knock Off
- Power Whip

This is a cool set that I run on teams that appreciate having a bulky offensive lure. This helps Licky not be so passive while also getting rid of some key threats. I usually find myself switching this in on something that hits weak and as they switch to Pawniard, Probopass, Carracosta, or Barbaracle that expect to get a free set up then nail them with the appropriate coverage move. I prefer Hammer Arm over the common Earthquake because it takes care of Pawniard in one blow and also beats Air Balloon Probopass. Leftovers is usually better than Lum Berry because when people see Lum they know you are offensive. However it's easy to status Lickilicky being so slow so Lum has its uses, tailor it to your team's needs. To take full advantage of this set use Hammer Arm and Power Whip sparingly to then catch them on the obvious switch in. Also to take full advantage of this set its nice to make some hard reads before you take a hit and catch them switching in.

252+ Atk Lickilicky Power Whip vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 226-266 (60.9 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Lickilicky Hammer Arm vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 264-312 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Lickilicky Hammer Arm vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 320-380 (138.5 - 164.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Lickilicky Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 255-300 (87.9 - 103.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
This looks like a pretty cool set, but have you considered a little more speed on Lickilicky to outspeed 56 spe Poliwrath? You still have some bulk, you achieve the same ohko's and 2hko's that you would with Adamant, but it allows you to outspeed some important threats. I'm thinking about building a team with this because it looks like a viable set that has great coverage, but I think that a 104 HP/ 252 Atk/ 152 Spe Jolly spread may be worthwhile.

Last edited:
This looks like a pretty cool set, but have you considered a little more speed on Lickilicky to outspeed 56 spe Poliwrath? You still have some bulk, you achieve the same ohko's and 2hko's that you would with Adamant, but it allows you to outspeed some important threats. I'm thinking about building a team with this because it looks like a really cool set, but I think that a 104 HP/ 252 Atk/ 152 Spe Jolly spread may be worthwhile.
I've thought about it but haven't bothered looking at the numbers since it takes ALOT of EVs to start outspeeding things. Also I'm not sure if Jolly is strong enough to break those key threats but it's definitely worth looking into.

Edit: I haven't calced it but looking at the previous Calc I think costa would live a power whip. But after LO recoil it should die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)