Creative / Underrated Sets in the UU Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A lot of people run Shell Smash contrary shuckle...No where did I saw it was good either I just said it's common. Also, Stoutland isn't really good without hippo backing him up, so I don't really know if posting him here makes sense since people who run stoutland are aware of how he's to be ran...So unless you find some good way to run him with out sand backing him up then I don't think posting Hippo-Stoutland makes much sense.
I wouldnt suggest stoutland outside of sand, I was asking whether sand in general was underused enough to deserve to be on here.

That's literally a standard Chincinno set....and chincinno isn't really to good in UU to begin with..Also, as for Dragalge, Draco plate exist. Wise Glasses is an interesting choice, but Draco plate is a lot more popular. As for Shuckle, that's also an extremely common shuckle set...
That's a common Shuckle? Huh, what tier are you playing? I have only seen entry hazard Shuckle, and I love this trapping set. It's like a Trollrock set (see PIMPNITE'S Troll Solrock video on youtube). For Drag, the mild boost in both types is why I'm using Wise Glasses. And the Cincinno doesn't seem good, but with a maximum attainable speed without boosts of 396, it outspeeds most non-scarfed members of the tier, making that satanically high flinch chance with decent attack backing it up makes it hilarious to use.

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
I wouldnt suggest stoutland outside of sand, I was asking whether sand in general was underused enough to deserve to be on here.
There's only one real way to run sand in UU and we might be losing him to OU..., lol.
That's a common Shuckle? Huh, what tier are you playing? I have only seen entry hazard Shuckle, and I love this trapping set. It's like a Trollrock set (see PIMPNITE'S Troll Solrock video on youtube). For Drag, the mild boost in both types is why I'm using Wise Glasses. And the Cincinno doesn't seem good, but with a maximum attainable speed without boosts of 396, it outspeeds most non-scarfed members of the tier, making that satanically high flinch chance with decent attack backing it up makes it hilarious to use.
And yea, Contrary shuckle is used, I've seen it used up into Ubers just for fun. Also you really need to ask yourself What that Chincinno set is actually checking/countering and what not. It's got decent speed and decent flinch potential, but it's not as dependable as Iron Head Jirachi or other Serene Grace users that have seen their time in UU.

There's only one real way to run sand in UU and we might be losing him to OU..., lol.

And yea, Contrary shuckle is used, I've seen it used up into Ubers just for fun. Also you really need to ask yourself What that Chincinno set is actually checking/countering and what not. It's got decent speed and decent flinch potential, but it's not as dependable as Iron Head Jirachi or other Serene Grace users that have seen their time in UU.
The Cincinno is a very fast flincher that doesn't have the drawbacks of Serene Gracers. Jirachi: is weak to a lot of common attacking types. Dunsparce: slow.

The Cincinno is a very fast flincher that doesn't have the drawbacks of Serene Gracers. Jirachi: is weak to a lot of common attacking types. Dunsparce: slow.
Cincinno is weak to fighting, which is probably the most "notable" attacking type in UU right now. Jirachi isn't in UU, but is probably better than Cincinno in every possible way.

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
irtehmrepic

I would suggest something like Battling 101 thread for you my fren
That's what I'm saying...joins smogon then goes and post random threads in the UU Creative/Underrated Thread...
Also...exatcly what was already said...Jirachi isn't even IN UU and no one would ever seriously use Dunsparce...

Dugtrio @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Endure
- Reversal
- Memento

I made this set to try out as a Krook killer. It's not dependent on a focus sash, so bringing it in on rocks isn't an issue. Arena Trap/EQ still kills things like Empoleon once it has a bit of damage, but Endure/Reversal is for revenging against a Krookodile (one of the most common mons in the meta) when Dugtrio usually can't. I don't see a lot of use for Stone Edge in this meta to be honest so didn't mind giving it up, and Memento can be slashed with Sucker Punch for helping pick off Scarfers and stuff.

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
I am not new to competitive, I just joined Smogon recently. Just because I don't join the forums, it doesn't mean I am a complete noob. I just don't know the meta well.
You should learn the UU meta before posting in a thread about creative/underrated sets in the UU metagame.

Dugtrio @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Endure
- Reversal
- Memento

I made this set to try out as a Krook killer. It's not dependent on a focus sash, so bringing it in on rocks isn't an issue. Arena Trap/EQ still kills things like Empoleon once it has a bit of damage, but Endure/Reversal is for revenging against a Krookodile (one of the most common mons in the meta) when Dugtrio usually can't. I don't see a lot of use for Stone Edge in this meta to be honest so didn't mind giving it up, and Memento can be slashed with Sucker Punch for helping pick off Scarfers and stuff.
I actually tried using something similar to this as a Blissey/Chansey killer in late BW2. I ran Substitute instead of Endure (because getting Toxic'd kinda ruins Reversal) and it was hit-and-miss, mostly because getting down to 1 HP exactly was damn-near impossible. I'll have to try this.

Scarf Espeon

Espeon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Trick / Hidden Power Fighting
-Shadow Ball
-Dazzling Gleam
-Psychic

Scarf Espeon is the revenge killer to end all revenge killers. It destroys Scarf Mienshao, and can outspeed an Adamant +2 Slurpuff. If you can get it down to about 58%, you can kill with Psychic. You've got a great chance to kill Crobat, too. Trick also messes up special walls like Blissey and Goodra, in addition to Forretress. I can post replays if necessary.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-225367999

Last edited:
I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet, but Nidoking now has access to the elemental punches. I mention this because they get boosted by sheer force and hit off of Nidoking's higher offense stat. Plus, he gets poison jab, which is a nice STAB attack.

Aside from that, Nidoking is a force of sheer destruction on a sticky web team.

Nidoking has gotten the elemental punches since Gen III. With Nidoking, it's always been a toss-up for me: higher power, or the higher attacking stat? I think higher power is usually better, which explains why special Nidoking is so prominent, but if you want the surprise factor, by all means run physical Nidoking. If possible, I'd like to see replays of it working though.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave

This NP Ape set isn't meant for really wallbreaking but more for sweeping, although it doesn't do NP's original job too bad either. Focus Blast hits pretty much everything Grass Knot did and more, OHKO-ing the likes of Mega Blastoise, Suicune, Alomomola after a Nasty Plot boost. This set, as you can see, is walled by Chandelure completely. This is easily mitigated by running Hydreigon, Pursuit Aerodactyl or EQ CurseLax though so shouldn't pose a problem. Tentacruel pretty much hard checks all Nasty Plot variants of Infernape anyway so running Grass Knot doesn't change too much here.

Focus Blast vs Grass Knot

VS Suicune, good chance to initially OHKO and guaranteed after SR

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 429-507 (106.1 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 386-456 (95.5 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

VS Alomomola

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 232 HP / 24 SpD Alomomola: 520-614 (98.2 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Focus Blast vs. 232 HP / 24 SpD Alomomola: 777-916 (146.8 - 173.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

VS Swampert

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 853-1003 (212.7 - 250.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Focus Blast vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 476-562 (118.7 - 140.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

VS Rhyperior

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 994-1170 (229.5 - 270.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 745-877 (172 - 202.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

VS Vaporeon

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 200 HP / 56+ SpD Vaporeon: 263-309 (58.3 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Focus Blast vs. 200 HP / 56+ SpD Vaporeon: 390-460 (86.4 - 101.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Those were the things Grass Knot hit for Infernape among others, and Focus Blast pretty much did enough.

Here's a few things Focus Blast hits that Grass Knot and Close Combat don't.

Goodra just needs to be slightly weakened to be KOed, although Close Combat does do more, lowered defenses means easier to revenge.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 204-242 (53.1 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Rotom-H can't do much back, although getting additional LO recoil kinda sucks at times, not to mention it stomachs any other hit.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-H: 411-485 (135.6 - 160%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Porygon2, it is OHKOed by Focus Blast after a boost, meaning you can boost on the switch and not have to worry about Porygon2 eating a hit and crippling you with Thunder Wave.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 608-717 (162.5 - 191.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 277-328 (74 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Would hidden power be able to deal with Chandelure?
It could but would either leave you walled by something important if you take out Focus Blast or Fire Blast, or it would leave you revenged by things such as Scarf Hydreigon, making it significantly harder to sweep the opponent.

Well, Hidden Power Ground actually hits for the same damage as Shadow Ball against Tentacruel.

252 SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 181-214 (50.1 - 59.2%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Hidden Power Ground vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 182-216 (50.4 - 59.8%) -- 83.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Unless that .3 percent helps do anything, you are better off just running Shadow Ball.

Well, Hidden Power Ground actually hits for the same damage as Shadow Ball against Tentacruel.

252 SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 181-214 (50.1 - 59.2%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Hidden Power Ground vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 182-216 (50.4 - 59.8%) -- 83.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Unless that .3 percent helps do anything, you are better off just running Shadow Ball.
Unless I'm very much mistaken, they're referring to the Infernape set Kreme posted.

Oh, well disregard me then.
If anything I would run Earthquake, since you outdamage HP Ground even with a Timid nature, can OHKO Chandelure and 2HKO Tentacruel on the switch in after rocks. With Chandelure you don't risk a Scarf set, and with Tentacruel you can avoid being hit by a lot of damage with Scald.

I don't have replays for this, but physical Kingdra does a swell job of messing with opponents. Although the physical movepool is pretty shallow for the king, he/she gets dragon dance as a move and swift swim for an ability, which are both excellent for offense uses.

(Last time I checked, Kingdra was UU, I'm not sure if that's changed or not.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)