Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Celebi @ Expert Belt
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice

This Celebi lures pokemon like Heatran, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Dragonite and Tyranitar. Because Celebi has great covarage it becomes really hard to wall for offensive teams. 200 Spe EVs to outspeed Jolly Mamoswine.

252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Leaf Storm vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in sand: 334-396 (86.52 - 102.59%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Psychic vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Venusaur: 324-384 (101.56 - 120.37%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Psychic vs. 120 HP / 136 SpD Conkeldurr: 382-449 (100.26 - 117.84%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales: 216-257 (61.71 - 73.42%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 298-355 (77.4 - 92.2%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 403-475 (117.49 - 138.48%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 259-307 (73.57 - 87.21%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Hidden Power Ice vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 408-480 (110.56 - 130.08%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 384-456 (107.26 - 127.37%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragonite: 336-398 (104.02 - 123.21%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Need Multiscale broken)

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Victoria (Victini) @ Fire Gem
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- V-create
- Trick Room
- Bolt Strike
- Brick Break

Troom victini set. Ohko to Ninetales on sunny and with V-create victini became so slow and for this Trick room is perfect. Bolt Strike for bulky waters and Gyarados too and Brick break for the classic ttar and heatran. A dangerous sunny sweeper!

I don't really like that celebi set, still walled by Lati@s, no recovery, no way of switching like bp or U-turn..Dragonite outspeeds you and at -2 you're pretty screwed if you wanna kill him, same goes with landorus. (Jolly U-turn should kill you btw) And, besides dragonite, i don't think you wanna put your conkeldurr on a celebi for example lol, the calcs are pretty much worthless.

Today I ran into some odd variant of latias

But one unique+good thing on it was psycho shift (but without like an orb or anything)

And (besides the fact that it missed), it used psycho shift to transfer the paralysis I inflicted on it to one of my pokes (and off of her)

And so I was thinking that it could be used as a very cool replacement for sub that can not only stop status but also inflict it on yucky walls

But does psycho shift still remove the status if the opp is already statuseD?
That was probably me i use psycho shift on my Latias has a counter to status abusers lol
And it doesn't work if the opponent is already stat-used

Last edited:
Now people. I am pretty new to comp. Pokemon, and make no apologies for it. I've only been playing about a fortnight (since playing as a kid on 2nd gen all those years ago), so if I do something blatantly stupid, don't be mad. Gentle pointers would be greatly appreciated.

First pop. Here goes.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
IVs: 19 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave / Psychic
- Slack Off

I'm not going to claim to be creative here. Heck no, this is straight from the Smogon OU set. But I haven't come across it much, if at all (I'll try and find those nifty usage stats that seem to be so great - like I said, I'm new here - no idea where those might be!) but I think it serves a purpose pretty well as a physical wall.

Frankly, I'm bored of Ferrothorn and Forretress, and in a Fighting-type heavy tier, it's certainly nice to be able to soak up a fair number of hits, all with the recovery potential of Lefties, Slack Off, and more importantly, Regenerator.

While not as useful to a team from a utility point of view as Jellicent, as a tank...(and certainly not a counter to Keldeo) I've had success with it as a wall, while maintaining offensive potential through Ice Beam/Scald/Psychic coming off a decent SpA to prevent it being setup fodder, with the potential to burn physical attackers through scald, or cripple faster/scarfed pokes with T-wave (which I've preferred over Psychic).

Obviously, it's not perfect. Super effective U-turns, Volt Switches + Pursuits limit its viability somewhat, but as long as you're sharp to the switch, it's manageable, given that Pursuits (from Scizor) won't come close to killing you without prior damage, meaning you can get Regenerator recovery upon appropriate switchout.

It does mean that you should have Bug resists somewhere else on your team, and a decent special wall would be of great use, but I've found using Slowbro quite viable as a change of pace, although it's modest SpD isn't fantastic against either rain/sun team special threats.

I'll upload showdown replays and edit this post as and when some decent example occur from now. Never occurred to me until I realised that the set was actually bearing some fruit. Felt like sharing for my first post.

Apologies for any glaring errors in advance.

Last edited:

Whimsicott (F) @ Fire Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef / 72 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Stun Spore / Encore

This was a custom SubSeed Whimsicott set I made, which also doubles as a Scizor/Ferrothorn lure. Most people just send out their Scizor/Ferrothorn when they see Whimsicott, and this is what Whimsicott does in return:

252+ SpA Fire Gem Whimsicott Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 424-500 (123.61 - 145.77%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Fire Gem Whimsicott Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Scizor: 340-400 (98.83 - 116.27%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Fire Gem Whimsicott Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 316-372 (89.77 - 105.68%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Fire Gem Whimsicott Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 272-324 (77.27 - 92.04%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Even in rain, it seriously cripples Ferrothorn and Scizor. For the last slot I like to run Stun Spore to take advantage of switches Whimsicott causes when it gets rollin'. Encore is probably the better choice overall, but the bluff of Encore works as well as the real thing until the opponent figures out my moveset.

The EVs might look weird. 252 SAtk with Modest is obviously to dish out as much damage as it can. 72 Speed EVs allow it to outspeed Jolly Mamoswine. If Whimsicott is behind a sub when Mamoswine comes in, Whimsicott has a chance to win 1-on-1 by hoping for paralysis, then starting SubSeeding. 176 HP EVs give it an optimal recovery number and let it Sub 4 times if no hazards are on the field. The leftover 8 EVs are put in SpDef to have it take Scalds and Volt Switches better.

I like to pair this with stuff like Garchomp or Haxorus or even Scarf Jirachi, since they definitely enjoy paralysis support and Scizor/Ferrothorn being removed.

Speaking of Whimsicott...

Meet Sun-Sweeper Whimsicott

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 144 Spd / 252 SAtk / 116 HP
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball / Psychic

I know what you're thinking: what the fuck? Why would I run Whimsicott, who has a base-77 SAtk and a much better ability to be using than Chlorophyll? Well, as it turns out, Whimsicott is actually the fastest Chlorophyll-user in the game, which is its main niche over other Chlorophyll users like Venusaur or even Lilligant. With its great natural speed, it can afford to run an SAtk-boosting nature, which is crucial because it's naturally not very strong. The EVs are to max out SAtk and give enough to outspeed +2 neutral Thundurus-T in the Sun, the rest being tossed into bulk. The moves are to provide maximum coverage. I won't explain the usefulness of the listed moves; instead, I'll just list some calcs (assuming Sun is in play):

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi in sun: 338-398 (83.66 - 98.51%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in sun: 707-832 (200.85 - 236.36%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 220+ SpD Jellicent: 351-416 (86.88 - 102.97%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 338-400 (92.85 - 109.89%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 281-333 (77.19 - 91.48%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 160 SpD Metagross in sun: 426-502 (117.03 - 137.91%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona in sun: 221-261 (71.06 - 83.92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Shadow Ball vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus: 403-476 (98.53 - 116.38%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 298-351 (78.01 - 91.88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Kyurem-B in sun: 199-234 (43.83 - 51.54%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 135-160 (41.41 - 49.07%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Haxorus: 265-312 (90.13 - 106.12%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Gyarados: 246-290 (62.59 - 73.79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Really, you can see how potent this guy is. Shadow Ball and Psychic can be chosen at your discretion, depending on what you want to hit harder. Just try it out before you knock it

wow turning a annoying pokemon to a sweeper very nice set , no one will see it coming

building a sun team just for this :D

Okay here's another Whimsicott set which could bear fruit on Hyper Offense perhaps (I've used it in other tiers, the idea is the same).

Whimsicott @ Lagging Tail
- Tailwind
- U-turn
- Switcheroo
- Taunt/Encore

Set up Tailwind (Prankster overrules Lagging Tail) and then exploit a slow U-turn to get a sweeper in. Switcheroo can permanently cripple an opposing sweeper and the last move is to avoid becoming set-up bait.

Okay here's another Whimsicott set which could bear fruit on Hyper Offense perhaps (I've used it in other tiers, the idea is the same).

Whimsicott @ Lagging Tail
- Tailwind
- U-turn
- Switcheroo
- Taunt/Encore

Set up Tailwind (Prankster overrules Lagging Tail) and then exploit a slow U-turn to get a sweeper in. Switcheroo can permanently cripple an opposing sweeper and the last move is to avoid becoming set-up bait.
If you're going for Hyper Offense, then I'd think that Memento over U-turn would fare better.

I like using this as a lead for HO teams that want SR up and don't want it on their side.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Trait: Unnerve
EVs: 136 Spd / 252 Atk / 120 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Double-Edge

It's a typical sashed lead, and easily beats things like lead Terrakion. The EV's have max attack, and enough speed to outpace the fastest Starmies. The rest is poured into HP, in the vain hope that it will survive more than one hit (0 Atk Donphan will almost always just barely fail to 3HKO with ice shard). The moveset is where it gets interesting. The first three moves are obvious, SR and Taunt for beating other leads, and SE for STAB coverage. Double edge is the only unorthodox move, and it has utility as the only move Aerodactyl can use to kill itself, in order to prevent a rapid spin, killing it at it's sash. Imagine this: You lead with Aero, and the opponent leads with their starmie. You get SR up, and get brought down to sash by nearly any move. Then, you're free to use Double edge as they attempt to spin, and kill yourself before they can. This set is best paired with sweepers like Dragonite and Volcarona.

Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Taunt
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball

So this is a set that I've been running on my HO teams with a Custap Skarm/Forry/etc. It works as an amazing spinblocker and when sash is still intact it can beat any spinner in the metagame. It does a really good job at keeping hazards on your opponents side of the field and keeps them off yours without the need for a spinner.

Taunt is pretty useful so this set can also be used as a lead when you are facing other HO teams with Skarm/Terrakion/Chomp leads since this set can shut them down pretty easily. It also great against Baton Pass teams because the only thing they use to take a Taunt is Espeon/Xatu, who are both wrecked by Shadow Ball.

Destiny bond is amazing because since Gengar is so fast, and immune to most priority moves, you will more than likely get a Destiny Bond up and kill something. Usually you'd want to kill Tentacruel just so you can keep hazards up but considering Gengar's speed; it's uses are limitless and it can get rid of threats that normally you'd have trouble with.

Counter is my favorite move on this set. Most of the time after I taunt someones lead, their first move is to go into Scizor to pursuit/BP but with Counter+Sash, you can KO Scizor instantly, which is huge if you are running HO because priority users are usually what gets in the way of your sweeps. It also beats GyroBall Forry/Ferro once you taunt them. Anything that tries to setup on your spike stack lead, like Dragonite, Mence, Garchomp are easily beat with Counter.

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold / Relaxed / Lax / Impish
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Beam

Behold the premiere defensive wall of OU when Skarmory is on his day off after taking CB outrages and when Hippowdon is chilling in the Bahamas as Hippos should. That's right. After Hippowdon and Skarmory, nothing outdoes Kyurem-Black. The first thing that comes to mind when you see this hulking beast is that 170ATK stat, and the second thing is what every sane Dragon does when the pizza boy screws up his order: Outrage. It pulls off many mixed and choice sets well, but few(almost nobody) are prepared for an "offensive-defensive" sub shuffler. After all, what sub shuffler that shuffles with STAB Dragon Tail off of 170Atk and gets STAB on Ice Beam can be called defensive? The first two moves make keeping Kyurem-B alive and healthy very easy. Roost helps mitigate the SR weakness which shaves away a quarter of the black dragon's health, while Dragon Tail allows the nigslammer to force cowardly opponents to take even more damage as they switch out fearing a 4x effective ice beam or a powerful dragon tail on their frail pokemon. Uninvested, Kyurem-B still has incredible offensive stats, with more offenses than invested 252SAtk Starmie and 252Atk Terrakion in one set, no attacking EVs. Ice Beam mauls pokemon weak to it and assists with Ferrothorn slaying.

Kyurem-B's SubRoost set is interesting in that as a wall, it wants physical bulk without compromising its bulk on the special side, but also runs a physical and a special attack, meaning that it doesn't want to compromise its offenses. An Impish nature might seem counter intuitive but Kyurem-B KOs every 4x weak pokemon even with a Special Attack reducing nature, including almost every Dragonite through Multiscale, thanks to its ability, Teravolt which nullifies enemy abilities that impede Kyurem-B's moves. With an Impish nature, Kyurem-B loses out on a 37.5% chance of OHKOing 252/252+ Dragonite, which isn't particularly terrible; however, it does illustrate the drop in power of STAB Ice Beam off of a solid special attacking stat. With an Impish nature, Kyurem-B's chances of KOing Donphan through Sturdy (Teravolt) drop from 68.75% to 6.25% using an Impish nature. With an Impish Nature, Kyurem-B's 65% chance to 2HKO Jolteon becomes a guaranteed 3HKO or a 72% chance to 2HKO Jolteon after Stealth Rock. Ice beam is usually only used on 4x weak pokemon or 2x weak pokemon, like breloom, which are easily KOed even with an Impish nature, but an Impish nature does have less power, and downsides with certain pokemon.

A Lax nature can be used to maintain offensive stats, at costs to Kyurem-B's special defense. Kyurem-B's substitute still tanks scalds from Tentacruel in the rain or ice beams from defensive politoed, however, Kyurem-B takes more significant damage from 4 SAtk Dragon Pulse from Latias or boosted special attacks from powerful pokemon. Overall, it doesn't affect Kyurem-B's special bulk too badly, as the Ice dragon's substitutes will hold against resisted attacks, but powerful special attacks not named Draco Meteor will severely dent the 700 BST pokemon. Alakazam's Focus Blast has a good chance of KOing Kyurem-B after Stealth Rocks with a Lax nature, so this nature is not recommended. However, if Speed and offenses are a priority, a Lax nature does not particularly hinder Kyurem-B's success.

You can go with a Relaxed nature to retain offenses and Special defense as this set is slightly frail on the special side. (Nothing barring Draco meteor or Specs Focus blast from powerful special attackers will ohko). Relaxed nature turns Ferrothorn into setup bait for Kyurem-B, making whittling down the measly 8 PP of gyro ball even easier, as Ferrothorn will be striking Kyurem-B with a lowered 126 Base power Gyro Ball which can easily be Roosted off.

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (126 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyurem-B: 186-222 (40.96 - 48.89%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyurem-B: 222-264 (48.89 - 58.14%) -- 58.59% chance to 2HKO

Kyurem-B can usually win any Leech Seed mindgames with Ferrothorn due to the threat of a free Substitute followed by additional damage from Ice beam. However, be wary that by going with a Relaxed Nature, Kyurem-B is outsped by all variants of Rotom-W, which can proceed to cripple Kyurem-B with Wil-o-wisp before it can sub. Due to the flaws in the above three natures, the recommended nature is an attack lowering nature, Bold. It seems criminal to lower Kyurem-B's physical attack, but Dragon Tail is used mainly to rack up hazards damage and force bad switches, rather than wallop Ice-Resistant pokemon. Ice Beam is used exclusively to damage opposing pokemon, therefore lowering its damage output has some negative effects on Kyurem's offensive potential. Kyurem-B's special bulk should never be compromised, therefore a Lax nature is highly not recommended, and the Relaxed Nature maintains offensive stats with defensive stats at cost to speed. Unfortunately, this allows Kyurem-B to be outsped and burned by bulky Rotom-W, something which should be avoided.

Starmie with Analytic and Thunder easily disposes of Jellicent, it's only check as a spinner, and makes a terrific defensive partner, resisting steel and fighting attacks thrown at Kyurem-B. Gyarados makes a strong offensive partner, lowering the attack of opponents and sponging powerful fighting/steel attacks, while Kyurem-B makes the perfect switch in to obvious Thunderbolts and such. Tentacruel synergizes perfectly with Kyurem-B, spinning away Stealth Rocks, but also absorbing Toxic Spikes, which cripple Kyurem-B. Better yet, Tentacruel resists Fighting and Steel attacks, and can lay down Toxic Spikes, which allow Kyurem-B to defeat opposing pokemon by simply stalling them out with Sub and Roost. Skarmory can take any Close Combats, Outrages, Stone Edges, and Draco Meteors hurled at Kyurem-B, while setting up Spikes and SR and Roosting away damage on its own. If Kyurem-B is paired with Tentacruel on a Rain Team, Scarf Gengar makes a terrific Spinblocking partner, taking any Fighting attacks, and keeping Hazards on the field at all times. Scarf Gengar is the only Spinblocker that can reliably prevent Starmie, Tentacruel, Jellicent, Donphan, and Forretress from spinning with a combination of Shadow Ball and Thunder. Gengar can even use Trick to cripple more defensive spinners and hazard setters for the duration of the match.

Kyurem vs Kyurem-Black: The nature of attacks hurled at the Dragon/Ice typing are usually physical, therefore the addition 10 base defense of Kyurem-B and increased D-tail damage are of greater utility than the increased SpA and ability in Pressure. This pokemon is meant to set up on slower walls or switch into things that pose no threat and get up a sub, then start clicking Dragon Tail to spread hazards damage. Once it has a sub up, it has the option of stalling the PP of moves like Close Combat, Stone Edge, and Gyro Ball by spamming Roost and Substitute repeatedly and stall out faster pokemon with powerful moves that do >50% damage. Pressure is without a doubt the better ability on this set, but between 16 PP in Substitute and 16 in Roost, it is fairly easy to stall out moves. Of course, if PP stalling is the priority, Kyurem might be a better option, however you will sorely miss the power in Dragon Tail and the 10 defense you lose. Furthermore, Kyurem-black has much greater surprise value as a SubRoost shuffler. It's not meant to stall PP so much as it is to force switches and rack up hazards damage. People usually expect a powerful physical attacker, or a fairly bulky sub/3attacks mon, but get demolished by the physical god that is Kyurem-B.

Calcs:

252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 294-348 (64.75 - 76.65%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (Guaranteed Sub after initial Focus Blast)
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyurem-B: 284-336 (62.55 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO [see CB terrakion for CB outrage damage calcs)
252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyurem-B: 200-236 (44.05 - 51.98%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyurem-B: 422-498 (92.95 - 109.69%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyurem-B: 234-276 (51.54 - 60.79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (127 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyurem-B: 186-222 (40.96 - 48.89%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0- SpA Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Gliscor: 372-444 (105.68 - 126.13%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 576-684 (156.09 - 185.36%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 212-252 (50.47 - 60%) -- 84.77% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dragonite: 348-412 (90.15 - 106.73%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Jellicent@Leftovers
Water Absorb
252 hp/224 spdef/36 speed
Careful

Scald
Toxic
Magic Coat
Recover

This is like the standard sdef Jellicent- but with a twist. Taunt is pretty good, but I felt that Toxic could deter set up sweeper just fine. So i stumbled across this little gem of a move- Magic Coat. I always lead with it vs. HO and biunce back Taunt or Rocks. I have trolled so many Politoed and Vaporeons. Magic Coat prevents status, hazards, taunt, which is incredibly usefull for a defensive poke.

What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.

Jirachi @ Life Orb
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature
- Doom Desire
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

Yes, you read it right, it's Doom Desire Jirachi. Doom Desire got a neat little change this generation, as it no longer deals typeless damage at the end of three turns, but rather is a 140 BP Steel move that is modified by weakness/resistance and all that. And it gets STAB. Besides, nothing else can use Doom Desire, making it pretty unique.

First off, the EV's are just there to ensure that you outspeed max speed Gliscor with a neutral nature. 252 EV's are in SpA to ensure you hit as hard as possible, and the remaining 40 HP gets put in HP, as you don't really have any business with Salamence or Volcorona.

Now, a Jirachi that doesn't focus on flinching you with its Steel moves isn't as intimidating by itself, but partnered together with pokemon that take advantage of the equivalent of a LO Draco Meteor coming off 328 SpA it can be terrifying given the circumstances (not to mention, based on my experience, if Jirachi is not your active pokemon when Doom Desire hits, you get the LO damage boost w/o taking damage yourself). The main reason you would want to use this over any other Jirachi set is its ability to absolutely decimate a counter to something else on your team, preferably something that invests in physical defense but doesn't excel as much in spdef. The best example that I can think of right now is probably Double Dance Landorus-T.

C+P from the analysis: "Although Earthquake and Stone Edge provides near-perfect coverage in OU, this set still has trouble muscling through several common walls, notably Gliscor, Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Skarmory. Thus, partners that can soften or lure these walls are highly recommended."

And this is where Doom Desire comes into the picture:

Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 355-419 (84.52 - 99.76%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Doom Desire vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 344-407 (97.72 - 115.62%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Doom Desire vs. 248 HP / 0- SpD Landorus-T: 364-430 (95.53 - 112.86%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Doom Desire vs. vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 174-205 (53.21 - 62.69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (after a SD Landy does 44.95 - 53.21% to ph. Skarm w/ Stone Edge)

Mamo and Donphan gets clean one-shotted too, just to make sure.

It also helps out Lati@s by knocking dead one of their primary checks and severely damaging a second, which is really useful considering how common those pursuit users are:

Doom Desire vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in sand: 361-429 (93.52 - 111.13%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 265-312 (65.59 - 77.22%) + Leftovers 252 SpA Latias Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: (22.27 - 26.23%)
-- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Leftovers Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 136-161 (39.65 - 46.93%) + Doom Desire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 161-191 (46.93 - 55.68%)
-- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

The list goes on, and between that, Stealth Rock, and priority it discourages most things from setting up, forcing the momentum in your favour as you know they either have to switch or die. U-Turn lets you choose what you want to try to lure in after you see their response to DD, Psyshock lets you punish those that try to set up their SpD trying to tank a hit from DD, and Thunderbolt rounds off the coverage pretty ok. As this is meant as a support set, it is not meant to sweep - I pretty much just spam Doom Desire and watch things die.

In general, the way I've seen it work best is just to switch in on something that can't do much to Jirachi (Ferrothorn comes to mind) - and then DD'ing on it, either switching or U-Turning out to something that forces it out (in this case, Landorus-T generally will), and SD/EQ on the switch. Sweep as Doom Desire hits your flailing opponent.

Replays where DD has helped out at least a bit:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-51171032 DD kills a counter straight off, leaving Rotom-W free to decimate. Opponent forfeits immediately after it happens.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-51003282 DD forces Landorus-T to switch or die at the end, knowing that if he stays in, he'll die to DD leaving his Gyarados killed by Scarf Rotom
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-50714688 DD encourages a Blissey-switch in which allows Rotom-W to Trick it super easily, and also later aids Landorus-T with setting up
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-50707050 DD ensures that a burned Terrakion can sweep half of the opponents team
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokecommunity-ou-58104 - DD makes setting up on you useless and forces opposing Landorus-T out twice
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-50705557 - DD does a neat 98% to a landorus switching in, making it super easy for Landy-T to clean afterwards
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-51237610 - DD knocks a clean 40% off a Scizor switching in, making it easy for Latias to dispatch him herself later on

With all that being said, next generation will probably make Doom Desire even better, as it will allow you to threaten those Fairies eager to switch into your Dragon-SPAM moves - do they really want to take a 140 BP STAB move that they are weak to in order to absorb your rage/meteors?

Last edited:
I'd like to submit a set for one of the staples of OU, Hippowdon.

Traditionally, Hippowdon is used, in addition to setting up the sand, as a physical wall, shutting down fearsome sweepers and wallbreakers like Terrakion, Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite and to an extent Kyurem-B. However, Hipowdon's attack stat of 112 is rather decent, and almost lends itself to a bulky-attacker set. I've taken this one step further and decided to chuck on a Choice Band as well as Sand Force, giving Hippo monstrous power. The lack of sand means T-Tar must also be used, but this isn't necessarily a burden, as fooling opponents into believing you're running double sand can net a few surprise KO's.

Here's the set then:

Hippowdon @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang/Crunch
- Slack Off/Roar/Sleeptalk

Earthquake and stone edge do ridiculous damage in the sand, and with 3 layers of spikes and stealth rocks, EQ has a chance to OHKO standard Ferrothorn, just to give an example of its power. Complementing Edge-quake is a choice of Ice Fang or Crunch, the former dealing slightly more damage to dragons as well as nailing Gliscor/Lando-T, and Crunch doing a bit more to Cresselia, Mew, Bronzong and other Psychics, though they are rare in OU. As such Ice Fang is recommended unless your team can deal with Gliscor and Lando-T easily, and is more threatened by the Psychic type 'threats'. Slack off is there to heal back up if given a free turn, while roar can save you from setup sweepers. Sleeptalk is more situational, yet lets your come in on Breloom, absorb sleep and still be somewhat useful.
The EV's are fairly obvious, max attack for more damage and HP for bulk, though you can chuck them into Def/SDef if you wanted to. (Someone let me know if another spread avoids certain KO's) Adamant nature is straightforward, though if using this with Trick Room support a Brave nature could be used. (Incidentally Hippo then becomes extremely threatening)

In regards to team support and synergy, this Hippo needs T-Tar for sand, and benefits greatly from hazards support. Pokemon to tank water, ice and the rarer grass attacks are also appreciated. Ferrothorn makes a great partner then, also helping to deal with rain teams. T-wave support also works well, allowing Hippowdon to out-speed most of the meta. Jirachi works for this, and synergises well type-wise. (A specially defensive spread works best imho)

Thats all there is to it, a really fun wall-breaker that catches a heap of people off-guard, and one that only Skarmory can claim to completely counter. Here are some damage-calcs before i go. :)

252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn in sand: 70.94 - 83.76%
252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 232 HP / 24 Def Slowbro in sand: 72.75 - 85.86%
252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 136+ Def Vaporeon in sand: 76.83 - 90.47%
252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey in sand: 95.7 - 112.73%
252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Jellicent in sand: 99.5 - 117.32%
252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo in sand: 106.19 - 125.38%
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Hippowdon Ice Fang vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 67.19 - 79.79%
252+ Atk Choice Band Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed: 54.68 - 64.32%
252+ Atk Choice Band Hippowdon Ice Fang vs. 244 HP / 248+ Def Gliscor: 75 - 88.63%
252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Magneton in sand: 545.45 - 641.32% :')

Image link: http://www.deviantart.com/art/HipPOWdon-251192773

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've seen that set before, and I think it could afford to run a few Speed EVs. 68 in Speed lets it outrun Blissey and other base 55s, and is probably the best benchmark to hit. While these two might be too much Speed, 192 smacks CB Tyranitar, while max Speed outspeeds uninvested Heatran by three points - these are only worth it for the sheer "wtf" response from your opponent though.

I'd like to submit a set for one of the staples of OU, Hippowdon.

Traditionally, Hippowdon is used, in addition to setting up the sand, as a physical wall, shutting down fearsome sweepers and wallbreakers like Terrakion, Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite and to an extent Kyurem-B. However, Hipowdon's attack stat of 112 is rather decent, and almost lends itself to a bulky-attacker set. I've taken this one step further and decided to chuck on a Choice Band as well as Sand Force, giving Hippo monstrous power. The lack of sand means T-Tar must also be used, but this isn't necessarily a burden, as fooling opponents into believing you're running double sand can net a few surprise KO's.

Here's the set then:

Hippowdon @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang/Crunch
- Slack Off/Roar/Sleeptalk

Earthquake and stone edge do ridiculous damage in the sand, and with 3 layers of spikes and stealth rocks, EQ has a chance to OHKO standard Ferrothorn, just to give an example of its power. Complementing Edge-quake is a choice of Ice Fang or Crunch, the former dealing slightly more damage to dragons as well as nailing Gliscor/Lando-T, and Crunch doing a bit more to Cresselia, Mew, Bronzong and other Psychics, though they are rare in OU. As such Ice Fang is recommended unless your team can deal with Gliscor and Lando-T easily, and is more threatened by the Psychic type 'threats'. Slack off is there to heal back up if given a free turn, while roar can save you from setup sweepers. Sleeptalk is more situational, yet lets your come in on Breloom, absorb sleep and still be somewhat useful.
The EV's are fairly obvious, max attack for more damage and HP for bulk, though you can chuck them into Def/SDef if you wanted to. (Someone let me know if another spread avoids certain KO's) Adamant nature is straightforward, though if using this with Trick Room support a Brave nature could be used. (Incidentally Hippo then becomes extremely threatening)

In regards to team support and synergy, this Hippo needs T-Tar for sand, and benefits greatly from hazards support. Pokemon to tank water, ice and the rarer grass attacks are also appreciated. Ferrothorn makes a great partner then, also helping to deal with rain teams. T-wave support also works well, allowing Hippowdon to out-speed most of the meta. Jirachi works for this, and synergises well type-wise. (A specially defensive spread works best imho)

Thats all there is to it, a really fun wall-breaker that catches a heap of people off-guard, and one that only Skarmory can claim to completely counter. Here are some damage-calcs before i go. :)

252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn in sand: 70.94 - 83.76%
252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 232 HP / 24 Def Slowbro in sand: 72.75 - 85.86%
252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 136+ Def Vaporeon in sand: 76.83 - 90.47%
252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey in sand: 95.7 - 112.73%
252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Jellicent in sand: 99.5 - 117.32%
252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo in sand: 106.19 - 125.38%
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Hippowdon Ice Fang vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 67.19 - 79.79%
252+ Atk Choice Band Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed: 54.68 - 64.32%
252+ Atk Choice Band Hippowdon Ice Fang vs. 244 HP / 248+ Def Gliscor: 75 - 88.63%
252+ Atk Choice Band Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Magneton in sand: 545.45 - 641.32% :')

Image link: http://www.deviantart.com/art/HipPOWdon-251192773
Cool set,but what sets it apart from Garchomp or Landorus-T?I mean Lando has higher speed and similar bulk right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)