Gen 6 Creative / Underrated Uber Sets : V2 (No Shitty Gimmicks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
melee mewtwo is cool and approved

Welcome to V2 of the creative / underrated uber sets thread! Basically in this thread, we post sets of Pokemon in the uber tier with underrated or creative sets.

OP from the OU version:

What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.
Multiple replays are now required for new and creative sets.

What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.
If you post a shitty gimmick, your post will be deleted and infracted, NO EXCEPTIONS.

What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in OU, for the sake of using it in OU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractacle or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.
  • This is an OU thread. Don't post some Lugia set.
Basically, this is a shitty gimmick:

Darkrai
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Bad Dreams
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Brick Break
- Payback
- Poison Jab
- X-Scissor

This would be a shitty gimmick because:
  • Darkrai has base 90 Attack, which is very low in the Ubers tier
  • Darkrai has much better options and a much better special movepool
So far, from the last thread, these are the sets that everyone have contributed:

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Sylveon does actually pretty well, it's not as gimmicky as you may think. The idea of the set is just to support the team with Wish and Heall Bell, works great with Mega Kanga, Palkia and Dialga.

Mewtwo @ Mega Stone X
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Atk
Nature: Naive (+ Spe - SpDef)
- Psystrike
- Fire Blast
- Low Kick
- Taunt / Stone edge

kd24 used this against me in a match w/ explosion as the final move and it caused me a lot of trouble. I discussed this set in #ubers about a week ago with a few others and it while some were skeptical others thought it was neat. It was pointed out by Melee_Mewtwo that there may not be much merit to use this set > regular MM2-X with Taunt, Low Kick and EdgeQuake which is understandable, but in some cases this may be better. You have the surprise factor which will force out physically defensive mons that would otherwise check MM2-X only to hit them with a Psystrike. Obviously Fire Blast will OHKO the likes of Scizor, Genesect etc with ease while 2HKOing Aegislash as well. Low Kick is still a very powerful move w/ STAB and the large amount of heavy mons in the tier. Taunt can be used as your 4th move but I personally prefer Stone Edge for the likes of YGod and Ho-Oh.

And before anyone calcs it: this sets Psystrike > max Atk MM2-X Zen Headbutt.

Xerneas @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 Hp / 252 SpD / 8 Def
Nature: Calm
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Thunder Wave
- Roar / Toxic

People use RestTalk defensive Xerneas, and in most cases, this is just better. RestTalk is self-sufficient, but just too passive and eventually ends up overwhelmed. If you play defensive Xern well, you won't even need to use Rest; anyway, by using RestTalk, you are essentially expending 2 moveslots that could otherwise be filled with utility moves that support the team.

The "underrated" element here is Thunder Wave, which provides awesome utility when used on a set like this, which can simultaneously provide Aromatherapy support, and retain a respectable offensive presence with Fairy Aura Moonblast. With Twave and the EVs, you can cripple most setup sweepers even if it has to take a hit in the process.
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Fairy Aura Xerneas: 334-394 (73.4 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Roar can be run in the last moveslot, ideally with hazard support (SR minimally, Spikes is recommended - Ferro is a great setter). Roaring on predicted switches is highly effective on this set as the opponent's switches when facing this set (as with all Xern, generally) are often highly predictable. Roar can also phaze out setup sweepers like CM Arceus formes if Paralysis isn't the best option. Toxic can also be run to put these sweepers on a timer but is generally inferior.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD or 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Superpower / Ice Punch

Simple and IMO effective set. Fairy/Water typing is perfect for Ubers metagame and this set hits decently hard even by Ubers standards (thanks to Huge Power). Aqua Jet is obvious priority (mostly for Blaziken though, you also easily switch on both his STAB attacks). With Assault Vest Kyurem-W Ice Beam technically deals no damage and you can for example tank Thunder from Non-Specs Palkia if you mispredict as well. So far I like how it works as a bulky pivot with good resistances to abuse (and 100/80 bulk with Assault Vest is just good enough :D). Really appreciates Wish support and fortunately he has great synergy with pink blobs as he easily takes fighting attacks aimed on blobs. Knock Off is obviously for team support, as knocking off items may be annoying for your opponents, but SuperPower is fine option as well (if you want to dent Dialga and Ferrothorn harder) and Ice Punch is your best bet if you want to somewhat hurt Groudon. Something I recommend to at least try, I'm still surprised with pretty decent results so far ;). And while investing in special defense instead of HP may be better with AV, sometimes I want this Azumarill to tank some weaker physical hits (like Support Groudon EQ) which HP spread is better at than SpD one obviously. But if you don't care about this, just go with standard 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD Adamant choice ;).

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Swords Dance

Ok so I'm a Zoroark aficionado so here's a Zoroark set. SD Zoroark is designed for use on hyper-offensive teams where multiple must-answer threats like EKiller, MGar, and Xerneas reside. Zoroark can masquerade as one of the aforementioned pokemon to force a switch into something that counters its false identity (w/e its masquerading as) and cripple/outright KO it. For example, bringing it in on a Xerneas disguised as regular Gengar or Palkia disguised as EKiller will usually force a switch and provide a free SD and hazard damage. At +2, Knock Off is more powerful than Adamant Lum EKiller's +2 ESpeed vs. pokemon holding an item, while sucker punch is slightly less powerful, allowing it to severely cripple pokemon like Groudon. With SR+Spikes up, it can potentially sweep frailer teams at +2 with Sucker Punch. An adamant nature is chosen because Zoroark really needs all the power it can get and still reaches 309 speed, which beats out positive natured base 90s. Focus Sash, while it does require hazards off your side of the field, makes sure Zoroark lives a hit as its bulk is nonexistant. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with Zoroark after testing and the mindgames it causes, and I believe it has some potential down the the road. This set hates support Arceus/Arceus in general, but hey, that's what you have MGar for.

Zoro does work vs. Orch: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-95680914

I got something for ya: something that counters Kyogre (Even Choice Specs!) I would post this in the viability ranking thread for C rank or something but we can't just go adding gimmick mons everywhere, so this seems a good place for it.

While appearing to be nothing more than a gimmick, with a set that I've came up with I believe there is a couple of niches that can be fulfilled by this Pokemon. With 129 base Sp Def it's fairly bulky on the special side, and it can counter Choice Specs Kyogre. Yes i said it, this mon can switch into any of Specs Kyogre's attacks and win against it (barring crits and other hax).

Firstly, the set:
Virizion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Justified
EVs: 136 SDef / 252 HP / 120 Spd
Gentle Nature
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

With an Assault Vest this thing can take special attacks nice n ez. I got some calcs to show that can back me up, here's the ones about Kyogre. I should mention that the Speed EVs are there to outspeed max speed 90s that don't have a +Speed nature.

Modest Specs? 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Assault Vest Virizion in Rain: 147-174 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Assault Vest Virizion: 158-186 (40.9 - 48.1%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

What does it do back? 0 Atk Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 194-230 (56.7 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

What if it's Bulky Specs you ask? 0 Atk Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 194-230 (48 - 56.9%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO

Scarf Kyogre does jack shit, you can tell already.

Other niches: Resists EdgeQuake, scaring Groudon out or surprising the life out of it with Grass Knot ( 0 SpA Virizion Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Groudon: 258-306 (63.8 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery )
Learns Close Combat and its great for STAB, 2HKOing Ekiller and Dialga (You can eat Dialga's attacks as well)
Good Ho-Oh lure, surprising it as well, can't OHKO without SR being up though.
Sponges Palkia's attacks, will probably lose 1v1 if it has Rest / Toxic but beats Lustrous Orb sets.
Downsides: Kinda needs wish support to keep longevity (It does learn Synthesis but you need the AV), and probably cleric support in case it gets poisoned.
Yveltal and Gengar could really care less and will probably ruin your day. Ho-Oh and Mewtwo bait.
Weakness to Fairy means Xerneas will use you as set up fodder, I find that Jirachi is a nice partner for Wish support + a Xerneas check in one.

So I needed a Stealth Rock user and an emergency check to quite a few Pokemon for my Horses. This set from 5th gen OU resurfaced as a result:

strong horse
The Cavalry (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

This horse actually did much better than expected and puts a lot of other horses on the team to shame. It is the trump card of the horses team primarily because of its Focus Sash which allow it to stay in and get much needed damage / KOes on threats like stupid psycho Mewtant cats and the kind with tails on their heads (but not the kind that took steroids), rainbow deer that are offensive by nature, poultry ranging from fat turkey birds to chickens that think they are hot stuff ect. Its Sash isn't the hardest thing to keep intact either because its rock hard body makes it so sandstorm doesn't bother it in the slightest. This horse is also proficient in offensive banter in order to make sure obese devil dragons cannot burn him to make obese seabirds that are too weak to have any attacking moves cry with a single Taunt thrown their way. Godlike horses of darkness also have trouble dealing with him because his smack talk is that good. When he isn't throwing sneaky sharp pebbles at his opponents feat or throwing banter that burn heals can't fix, he is beating the shit out of things either by constantly hoofing them up close and personal, or pushing his opponents off cliffs into the spiky stones below. Speaking of spiky things, he hates stepping on spiky metal objects and sharp pebbles because although he is tough enough to keep galloping with these in his hooves, they make him lose his focus therefore making the sash he wears a useless commodity fashionable as it may be. Having a team member that can either break dance so fast that these fly away or blow them away with wind is good to have around. Thankfully, Arceus is a horse(ishthing) and the godlike breath it produces can in fact remove these hazards so that his focus is not lost.

So what are you waiting for? Get posting!

Last edited:

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Yeah lugia is gone lmao what was I thinking. Also Nayrz solid set sorry I missed it :] But just one question, what about Kyogre packing Ice Beam?

edit: 252 SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Assault Vest Virizion: 144-170 (37.3 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO oh wait never mind

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
So I needed a Stealth Rock user and an emergency check to quite a few Pokemon for my Horses. This set from 5th gen OU resurfaced as a result:

strong horse

The Cavalry (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

This horse actually did much better than expected and puts a lot of other horses on the team to shame. It is the trump card of the horses team primarily because of its Focus Sash which allow it to stay in and get much needed damage / KOes on threats like stupid psycho Mewtant cats and the kind with tails on their heads (but not the kind that took steroids), rainbow deer that are offensive by nature, poultry ranging from fat turkey birds to chickens that think they are hot stuff ect. Its Sash isn't the hardest thing to keep intact either because its rock hard body makes it so sandstorm doesn't bother it in the slightest. This horse is also proficient in offensive banter in order to make sure obese devil dragons cannot burn him to make obese seabirds that are too weak to have any attacking moves cry with a single Taunt thrown their way. Godlike horses of darkness also have trouble dealing with him because his smack talk is that good. When he isn't throwing sneaky sharp pebbles at his opponents feat or throwing banter that burn heals can't fix, he is beating the shit out of things either by constantly hoofing them up close and personal, or pushing his opponents off cliffs into the spiky stones below. Speaking of spiky things, he hates stepping on spiky metal objects and sharp pebbles because although he is tough enough to keep galloping with these in his hooves, they make him lose his focus therefore making the sash he wears a useless commodity fashionable as it may be. Having a team member that can either break dance so fast that these fly away or blow them away with wind is good to have around. Thankfully, Arceus is a horse(ishthing) and the godlike breath it produces can in fact remove these hazards so that his focus is not lost.

Disclaimer so I decided to have some fun with this by doing it in trickroom rmt writing style due to this being on a horse team and whatnot. The Shellder Smuggler, I can pm you a more professional written version if you would like.

Heatran @ Chople Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roar

Much better xerneas check than regular heatran and what more could you want in the meta than an xerneas check?(credits to me and Piexplode)

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Mewtwonite X
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Recover
- Low Kick
- Will-O-Wisp

Stalltwo-X is a great stallbreaker, it has more bulk than Mewtwo-Mega-Y and Mewtwo. It can taunt, take hits, Will-O-Wisp threats and recover. It defeats Pokemon such as Blissey, Groudon, Ferrothorn, and Dialga.(Credits to Optic Gaga)

Heatran @ Chople Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roar

Much better xerneas check than regular heatran and what more could you want in the meta than an xerneas check?(credits to me and Piexplode)
Used that set in december on a bulky offense. Pairing with palkia is almost mandatory, but even then I don't quite think Heatran pulls its weight in the current metagame simply because it doesn't check much else due to losing some resists and no Latis.

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Mewtwonite X
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Recover
- Low Kick
- Will-O-Wisp

Stalltwo-X is a great stallbreaker, it has more bulk than Mewtwo-Mega-Y and Mewtwo. It can taunt, take hits, Will-O-Wisp threats and recover. It defeats Pokemon such as Blissey, Groudon, Ferrothorn, and Dialga.(Credits to Optic Gaga)
I wanna take my time an completely butcher the notion that this is actually viable. In case you were misinformed, the incentive using a StallTwo variant over another Mewtwo variant is not just breaking stall equally good or better, but also checking some relevant threats. While it may look like MMX stalltwo has a better typing than normal Mewtwo, that isn't exactly the case. With stall teams most often using defensive Xerneas or even Aeroblast Lugia (or phys def Ho-oh), using this set means you threw away your stallbreaking potential for... Hitting Arceus-Rock? Dialga who you still beat? Blissey, Groudon, Ferro? You still own those with regular stalltwo. All you did was waste your mega slot for an obsolete STAB move and a typing that even stall teams can take advantage of. I forgot to mention that almost any HO has a hard counter to this in form of Xerneas so there goes exactly all viability it has vs those teams.

Regarding sash Terrakion: set is burn prone and in often Defog prone due to not being able to outspeed Arceus. Despite the sash it's not a very good anti lead as Deo-S most likely gets 2 hazards and Deo-A beats you or gets SR anyway. Not being able to check Ekiller is also a big bummer when you elect for a mon that possibly could do so.

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
Regarding sash Terrakion: set is burn prone and in often Defog prone due to not being able to outspeed Arceus. Despite the sash it's not a very good anti lead as Deo-S most likely gets 2 hazards and Deo-A beats you or gets SR anyway. Not being able to check Ekiller is also a big bummer when you elect for a mon that possibly could do so.
It outgallops most Defog Arceus since they are only EVed to outrun base 100(-102(manaphy's idea)) and although most of them threaten Terrakion with their STAB's, they will generally stay in and attempt to Defog as it Taunts just due to the fact that Scolipede's T-Spikes are a monstrous nuisance. The reason I stressed Defog / Spin so much is because it isn't supposed to be an Anti-Lead, that is what I have Scolipede (the Worme Horse) for. It is specifically built to be a early-mid game sash which I thought would be something I discard immediately but was surprised when it seemed to work so well. The T-Spikes also set up the E-Killer KO if Terrakion cannot get up Rocks before it comes in which is nice. I wouldn't have posted this Terrakion set here if it wasn't pulling its weight (unlike a certain Iron Horse).

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
@hack with a few EV changes I think stall2x has a decent niche in ekiller checking since it survives extreme speed and kos with low kick (I think, might be wrong esp since post said timid wut)

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Scizor L. Jackson (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost / U-Turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Although it uses your mega slot, SD Mega Scizor is a threat that seems to be quite underutilized this generation. With most Scizor being Defog and thus more defensive variants, it is not extremely difficult to set up a SD when your opponents foresee a Defog. Mega Scizor also has nice bulk which helps it to boost. Bullet Punch makes Scizor able to clean thanks to priory while most of what you want to Superpower is slower anyways. Roost keeps you off a timer and Mega Scizor can find opportunities to utilize it. The two offensive moves give decent coverage, however this set is still quite threatened by the mons that normally annoy Scizor such as Ho-Oh and Kyogre. It is also checked by much of what can check EKiller although it is slightly less threatened by some of them. Relying on a steel type move to clean can be annoying since it is a poor type offensively, although nothing is immune to it. U-Turn is also an option as it lets Scizor become a hit and run mon early on getting nice chip damage on your opponents best Scizor check / counter and then moving to something that threatens it hard enough to where it is forced to switch without recovery.

I'm disappointed my based Virizion set isn't in the OP.
Get to fixing that pls
Also since when was offensive Lugia not a shitty gimmick rofl
Your viriz set has more bulk and the same speed if you use 12+ speed, and the rest in spdef. Its 346 vs 356 I'm pretty sure.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

With the excact same Special bulk as Sylveon, Umbreon can also be used as a good SpD wall. With Wish and Protect boosting his and potentially others longlivety is always good and Heal Bell is a nice plus al well. The two big things that differs him from the slightly more viable Sylveon is his ability in Synchronize (really good because of Heal Bell), and the fact that he is not Mega Gengar weak. He has better physical deffense, and Foul Play as a viable attacking move with his lower attack stat. A really underrated 'mon, with good utility to offer.

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
Here's my set for a very surprising Deo-D. It is not a set-up support, so absolutely no spikes or SR. Is this set new? most likely not... I just had it win me many games, and thought I should share it. Yet this is the set:
[Notes, what is in bold is important to the set] [What's in Italics is highly recommended] [What's written normally can be changed to your discretion]

(Deoxys-Defense) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover (for lack of lefties)
- Magic Coat
- Night Shade
- Toxic

That is my set specifically taken from my ubers team. Which I just made two days ago, and on the ladder, has let me reach a W/L/T of 16-2-0. So what this set is, is a mixed defensive set, with a +def, - atk nature. (Foul play. watchu gonna do?) The two things that make this set uber god-tier, are the rocky helmet, and magic coat. These two things is what makes two different things fear this, and make it want to leave immediately, Physical attackers, and set-up support. What the magic coat can do is: 1) be unsuspecting. It is barely seen in ubers, and when you see a Deo-D, you immediately assume it will be spike/SRer. Yet then you use it against that shuckle trying to use sticky web. This initiates 2) Hesitation. With magic coaters, using, and facing, it is like Haunter says. You have to outplay the coin flip. There are basically two possiblities for your opponent. The first is that the opponent uses something that can be used against you, and risk getting it sent back them, the second being it doesn't, and tries to outplay you. Which means you have two options aswell. You can either use magic coat to defend yourself from a predicted toxic, or SR, or you don't and you set up a toxic, or recover.
Which brings me to the next important aspect to the set, being the rocky helmet. This has been used before, yet it makes this set even better. With mega kang, Arceus, aegis and countless others. There are new ones popping up. So what this does is basically prevents them from destroying your team further. Can it counter everything? No, Arceus can still E kill it. Yet it also helps with the toxic up, so it can widdle down the health a chunk at a time, before it can be killed in time.

Edit: I found out Deo-D has respectable special defense without any evs. So I updated the Evs.

Below are some instances in which this set can work wonders
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-136215359 ~ How it can prevent support (klefki) from setting up. In honesty, I shoulda switched to deo-D earlier than I did against the klefki V ferrothorn fight. Yet oh well.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-136214867 ~ How it can destroy a kanga

Last edited:
The specially defensive xern set is cool, but doesn't fairy aura stack twice on PS due to a bug? Makes it kinda unreliable as a check to other xerns for the time being :(

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
The specially defensive xern set is cool, but doesn't fairy aura stack twice on PS due to a bug? Makes it kinda unreliable as a check to other xerns for the time being :(
If that is a bug, that shouldn't be a reason not to make a set. If the bug is there, it should be fixed. Just because something is bugged, doesn't mean it makes another thing useless. The special defensive Xern set actually is really useful. So I am unsure why a bug would make it unreliable.

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Agreed. If there is a great car, but it crashes because the driver is drunk, is the car bad? Is the more practical solution to get a different car or get a different, sober driver?

If that is a bus, that shouldn't be a reason not to make a set. If the bug is there, it should be fixed. Just because something is bugged, doesn't mean it makes another thing useless. The special defensive Xern set actually is really useful. So I am unsure why a bug would make it unreliable.
I think you may have misinterpreted my post. It's a great set for sure, but I was really just trying to warn anyone who might not know about showdown's glitch.. IIRC someone lost one of their UPL matches due to that bug, using that very set.

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 208 HP / 52 Spd / 96 SDef / 152 Atk
Careful Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk.

Basically this set is just CB, but used very differently than the offensive CB set. This set tanks every special hit you can think of, yep including some of which are SE. It also hits hard as fuck even tho it doesn't run much investment comparing to the offensive CB set. Like it 2hko's physic def groudon and physic def lugia after SR.

EDIT: I forgot to say that it can take physic def kyogre and special def kyogre 1-on1. LEL

Last edited:

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now

Time Keeper (Dialga) @ Life Orb / Adamant Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon / Thunder
- Fire Blast

Overview
########

A relic from the DPPt era, this set is very long forgotten. The Ubers metagame has become centralized around powerful priority attacks and blistering fast Pokemon such as Mega Mewtwo Y, Geomancy boosted Xerneas, Mega Gengar, and Blaziken; and Trick Room Dialga shatters this concept with a single turn of set-up, turning the coveted speed tiers of many Pokemon against them, all while resisting the most common priority move in Ubers, Extreme Speed, and the less commonly seen Bullet Punch. With it's stellar coverage, enormous and often overlooked 150 Base Special Attack, great bulk, and relatively low speed, Dialga is the perfect abuser of Trick Room.

Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Dialga's most powerful and reliable STAB move, and backed by Life Orb or Adamant Orb it can OHKO or deal heavy damage to anything not a Pink Blob or Fairy type or something that carries a resistance to it. Here are some calcs to demonstrate the sheer power of Life Orb boosted Draco Meteor from fully invested Dialga.

- 252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 368-434 (91 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

- 252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 289-341 (65 - 76.8%)

- 252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 289-341 (75.6 - 89.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

- 252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Ho-Oh: 231-274 (55.6 - 66%)

- 252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Kyogre: 251-296 (62.1 - 73.2%)

- 252+ SpA Life Orb Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre: 253-298 (73.9 - 87.1%)

Flash Cannon is another great STAB move and has a Base Power of 120 after STAB is calculated, and with a Life Orb attached it is a guaranteed OHKO against standard unboosted Geomancy Xerneas - without Stealth Rock! However, with an Adamant Orb, the OHKO is not guaranteed, and requires Stealth Rock to ensure it. Flash Cannon is also the sets go-to move to pick off weakened foes without resorting to Draco Meteor. However, should the user pair Trick Room Dialga with a Pokemon that can eliminate Fairy types from Dialga's path such as Mega Gengar, Flash Cannon can be forgone for another coverage move in Thunder to heavily damage if not dispose of Pokemon such as Lugia, Specially Defensive Yveltal, Ho-Oh after Stealth Rock, and Arceus-Water without resorting to Draco Meteor. Fire Blast is absolutely necessary, as it allows Dialga to power through what could otherwise wall it, such as Arceus-Steel and Ferrothorn.

Set Details
========

The superb item for this set is Life Orb, as it secures many OHKOs such as the ones on standard unboosted Geomancy Xerneas with Flash Cannon and Support Groudon with Draco Meteor. It also allows Dialga to function as a powerful wallbreaker. Adamant Orb is only an option if one wishes to bluff a Choice Specs set AND is utilizing both of Dialga's STABS, which in some instances could be very useful, but unfortunately Dialga loses out on such a small amount of power which turns OHKOs into 2HKOs should it forgo this option. The EVs are simple; 240 HP EVs makes Dialga as bulky as possible while retaining a Life Orb number for cases that allow Dialga to fire off eleven attacks rather than ten. The HP EVs also ease set-up for Dialga, as they make it tough to KO without a powerful or super-effective attack. Maximum Special Attack allows Dialga to hit as hard as possible with its stellar coverage and powerful attacks. The leftover EVs are dumped into Special Defense, but it doesn't matter where they go as long as Speed remains uninvested, as Dialga must be as slow as possible to outspeed as much as it can under Trick Room. Keep note, that if Dialga is given the Adamant Orb as it's item, an EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk should be used, as having a Life Orb number would be useless for this set if Adamant Orb is used. The 0 Atk IV reduces Foul Play damage as much as possible, and also minimizes confusion damage. The 0 Speed IV allows Dialga to out-speed anything faster than uninvested Base 65s under Trick Room. For this reason, Dialga's level can be lowered to Lv.99, as this allows Dialga to avoid the speed tie with Scizor and also avoid the risk of being hit by a powerful Superpower.

Usage Tips
========

The trick (pun intended) to set up Dialga is to come in on weak resisted attacks or something that cannot touch it, set up Trick Room, and proceed to obliterate things. VoltTurn also eases predicting, and many of the VoltTurn users have great synergy with Dialga, such as Landorus-T who can set up Stealth Rock for Dialga and can also eliminate Heatran, which is this sets best counter. Zekrom has great synergy with Dialga as well, as it can easily dispose of Lugia, Ho-Oh, Blissey, and Chansey which cause trouble for Dialga and also forms VoltTurn if used in tandem with Landorus-T. If not played properly, Dialga can often end up as dead weight or a sackmon. Thus, in order to utilize the versatility of Dialga, the surprise factor of the set itself must be taken full advantage of. Because of Dialga's overlooked Special Attack this generation, players may be overzealous of Dialga's offensive prowess, expecting a defensive or support set. This Dialga also thrives mid-late game, when it's checks have been weakened to where Dialga can sweep. Keep note however that even without Trick Room up Dialga is still a very dangerous, fully-invested Special Attacker (albeit slow), so do not think that it is useless without set-up. It can even set-up early game, blowing holes right at the start of a match to pave the way for another sweeper. Supporting Dialga with a strong defensive backbone is also very important, as after Dialga uses Draco Meteor it becomes complete set-up fodder at -2. Because of these drawbacks, Trick Room Dialga fits best on Balanced and Stall archetypes.

Conclusion
########

Trick Room Dialga may be outclassed as a special set-up sweeper; but it's typing, bulk, surprise factor, and ability to annihilate Hyper Offensive teams allow it to differentiate itself in the Ubers metagame from other sweepers, and only if used properly shall it reward handsomely.

Replays:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ubers-125804253

Last edited:

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
Ducky209:

I would say use 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 SpD. This gives Dialga a Life Orb number of HP and while nitpicky, surviving another round of Life Orb recoil can sometimes be useful.

Last edited:
Screens Latios

Latios @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Memento
- Safeguard

Need a way to have a pokemon set up to sweep safely? Maybe this Latios set is in order. Dual screens+Memento means you get a safe switch in and at least a turn to set up. Suspect something wants to Thunder Wave or Toxic your sweeper? Just throw down a Safeguard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)