Crustle (Placeholder)

I'm not sure if I should actually make a set for Shell Smash, so if I could get some opinions on that, it'd be nice. Other than that, I'm going to finish this up hopefully by the end of the night.

QC Approved: 0/2
GP Approved: 0/2

[Overview]
<p>With Crustle's offensive Rock-Bug typing, and decent base 95 attack, Crustle has the ability to put a nice dent in nearly every top tier Pokemon in the VGC 2011 metagame. Now, it's not all good for the little sand bug. Crustle is extremely slow, and rather frail on the special side, which can make sweeping very difficult outside of Trick Room. Crustle may have its flaws, but all in all, Crustle is a Pokemon you are going to want to watch out for this year. </p>

[Set]
Name: Trick Room Sweeper
Move 1: Rock Slide / Rock Blast
Move 2: X-Scissor
Move 3: Protect
Move 4: Swords Dance
Item: Rock Gem / Lum Berry
Nature: Brave
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

[Set Comments]
<p>This is Crustle's best set, and has the potential to sweep entire teams when given the chance. After a Swords Dance, Crustle has 322 Attack, allowing it to OHKO a great portion of the metagame with either Rock Slide or X-Scissor. Protect is a basic necessity for VGC Pokemon, as it allows you to scout out potentially dangerous moves that could leave you unable to sweep. Sturdy adds onto the fun, and allows Crustle to survive any one move, and continue on with its sweep. The EV's and nature allow Crustle to achieve maximum offense and bulk. </p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Rock Blast is an option over Rock Slide if you would like to break substitutes and sashes. You will miss out on the ability to hit both opponents, so the choice between the two moves depends on your team. You can drop Swords Dance for Earthquake if you'd like, but it isn't recommended because without Swords Dance, Crustle will be missing out on most KO's that it could get with it. You can drop Rock Gem for a Lum berry if you feel that you need to protect yourself from status, but it isn't necessary. Without Rock Gem, Rock Slide will be significantly weaker, and could possibly miss out on a few KO's. Although, if you are desperately in need for something to take out Amoonguss, Lum Berry is an option.</p>

[Set]
Name: Shell Smash
Move 1: Rock Slide
Move 2: X-Scissor
Move 3: Protect
Move 4: Shell Smash
Item: Rock Gem / White Herb
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Shell Smash is easily one of the new moves brought in Gen 5, and Crustle was one of the lucky Pokemon to recieve it. For those of you who don't know, Shell Smash doubles Attack, Special Attack, and Speed while dropping both Defense and Special Defense one stage. Shell Smash is bringing Crustle's Attack to a 'very nice' 294, or 322 when Adamant. After a Shell Smash, Crustle has the ability to OHKO or 2HKO nearly all non-Fighting-type Pokemon in the VGC metagame.Rock Slide is Crustle's STAB range attack, and will be your main attack for most of the time, thanks to its ability to hit a large portion of the metagame super-effectively. X-Scissor works in almost perfect unison with Rock Slide, hitting many Pokemon who can shrug off Rock Slide a lot harder. Protect is standard for most VGC movesets, and allows for you to wait for your teammate to get Tailwind up, or for your teammate to prevent Trick Room from being placed. Sturdy is going to allow Crustle to survive any blow, and get Shell Smash up for a potential sweep. </p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Rock Blast is an option over Rock Slide if you would like to break substitutes and sashes. editing... You can replace Rock Gem for White Herb, in order to remove the defense drops from Shell Smash, although you will miss out on a few KO's without Rock Gem. Earthquake can replace X-Scissor to obtain decent coverage against Fighting-types, although you will miss out on doing any significant damage towards Dark, Psychic, and Grass-type Pokemon.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>As far as teammates go, Crustle is very versatile. Crustle has the ability to work effectively with support, such as Tailwind and Trick Room, or without support. with that being said, choosing a partner for Crustle really depends on how you plan to use it and the playstyle of your team. If you intend to run the SD set, Trick Room is your best option, so that way you can maintain high attacking power and improved speed. If you plan on running the Shell Smash set, Tailwind is your best option. Not only will it allow you operate without a Shell Smash, it will bring your speed to even higher levels if Shell Smash is down. Anyone who can set up these field effects love working with Crustle. Reuniclus will be the best option for Crustle under TR. Reuniclus can take a massive blow, and will almost always get TR down. Tornadus is the best choice for Tailwind for Crustle. Tornadus will keep that offensive style that Crustle likes, and will help to make Crustle fast enough to do major damage. If you'd prefer to run Crustle without a field effect, There are still options for you. a Scarf Jellicent with Water Spout works wonders alongside Crustle, with it's ability to deal lethal damage to a great majority of the metagame. Most pokemon who resist Water or Rock will work wonders for Crustle. Pokemon with Wide Guard will also do some great things for Crustle. Pokemon such as Mienshao, Conkeldurr, Virizion, Samurott, and as stated before, Jellicent, all make great partners with Crustle. </p>

[Other Options]
<p></p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p></p>

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think that Lum Berry is at least worthy of getting slashed in, maybe even the primary item. the only way crustle can OHKO Amoonguss (a major threat to it) is from a +2 rock gem rock slide, and this means that trick room must be up and crustle must have a chance to use swords dance. Otherwise, Amoonguss outspeeds crustle and puts it to sleep when it uses swords dance or rock slide. This makes Lum Berry far more appealing (to me at least :D).
I also think that rock blast is a decent alternative to rock slide, hitting through Prankster substitutes, sashes, and with more chances to crit.
Add the 'IVs: 0 Spe' part below EVs
after a swords dance, crustle reaches 322 attack, not 634 @.@

I think that Lum Berry is at least worthy of getting slashed in, maybe even the primary item. the only way crustle can OHKO Amoonguss (a major threat to it) is from a +2 rock gem rock slide, and this means that trick room must be up and crustle must have a chance to use swords dance. Otherwise, Amoonguss outspeeds crustle and puts it to sleep when it uses swords dance or rock slide. This makes Lum Berry far more appealing (to me at least :D).
I also think that rock blast is a decent alternative to rock slide, hitting through Prankster substitutes, sashes, and with more chances to crit.
Add the 'IVs: 0 Spe' part below EVs
after a swords dance, crustle reaches 322 attack, not 634 @.@
You say you need a rock gem to KO, but you say Lum Berry is better....
Also, After swords Dance, Crustle attack is raised to 322. This is level 50 battling, not 100.

EDIT: Didn't see the attack stats in muffinheads post.

Also, After swords Dance, Crustle attack is raised to 322. This is level 50 battling, not 100.

EDIT: Didn't see the attack stats in muffinheads post.
Hahahaha, yeaaahhh, that was funny. Anywho, I was thinking about changing that, but never got to it, thanks for reminding me. [:

EDIT: I added in a slash for Lum, because I'm guessing that he meant +2 X Scissor, which will be doing a lot more than rock slide would on Amoonguss. Also, Rock Blast seems a little iffy, there IS a chance for it to hit all 5 times, but there's also a chance that it'll hit only twice. To me, that sounds inneffective and a little too risky for such small matches.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
yes, only a +2 rock gem rock slide will ohko amoonguss. its almost impossible to get to those conditions, because amoonguss can just spore while it uses swords dance, and if trick room isnt up the next turn, it can spore then too. this makes rock gem not worth it. and then there is effect spore....
Hahahaha, yeaaahhh, that was funny. Anywho, I was thinking about changing that, but never got to it, thanks for reminding me. [:

EDIT:Also, Rock Blast seems a little iffy, there IS a chance for it to hit all 5 times, but there's also a chance that it'll hit only twice. To me, that sounds inneffective and a little too risky for such small matches.
rock blast is a great way of breaking sash chandelure and charti or sash thundurus / tornadus. these pokemon are ridiculously common, and all 5 hits are not needed to KO them.

If all 5 hits aren't required, then how many hits ARE required to get the KO, without +2 or rock gem. I need some calcs otherwise you could just be saying this, to pursuade me, honestly. if it's something like 4 or 3 hits, im not going to bother. and remember, X-scissor >>>>> Rock Slide when facing Amoonguss. Even then, remember that you have two pokemon, in this case, that one pokemon can cover Amoonguss, the genies, and the musketeers (who need to be covered because of Crustles lack of a way to do major damage to them).

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
At +2 with no boosting item, Rock Blast always KOs both Chandelure and the genies in two hits. At +0, it always KOs 252 HP Chandelure and 4 HP genies with two hits. If the genies are under a sub at >70% health, it requires three hits to KO, and if they have a Charti Berry at >70% health, it requires three hits to KO. However, the really important calculations, 252 HP Chandelure and 4 HP genies, are always KOed by two hits, so it is absolutely a viable option.

X-Scissor actually only does about 33% more than Rock Slide to Amoonguss, so it's not really that much more useful except at +2, and even then, X-Scissor does 71% maximum, so it can still easily Spore Crustle.

Hmm, I think I may slash Rock Blast on both sets, simply because it has the ability to break subs and sashes with general ease, thanks.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Mention in the sentence about Rock Blast that it can stop Imprison Chandelure and allow your team to setup TR turn one against it, because it KOs 252 HP Chandelure with two hits. That's one of the main reasons to use it over Rock Slide.

EDIT: I'm an idiot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)